#1 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

POPULAR

http://www.p-nintend...-famitsu-239759

Apparently, within this 10 page interview, somebody translated something that caught their eye, that Xenoblade chronicles X was about 5 times the size of Xenoblade... Just kidding that was already known. What we got on top of that this time was a number!

*Corrected*

Xenoblade chronicles X map is 400 square kilometers!!! Convert that from SQUARE kilometers to SQUARE miles, and you get 154.44 square miles!!!

*Corrected*

Had the wrong selection selected, thanks to Soxviper!!!

Perspective time!

Red dead redemption was 12 square miles
Skyrim was 16 square miles
GTA 5 was 49 square miles

An interesting side note, divided by 5, we get 49.7 square miles for Xonoblade! Finally confirming my measurements of Xenoblade being around 50 square miles to be surprisingly accurate! Hooray!

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

http://www.p-nintend...-famitsu-239759

Apparently, within this 10 page interview, somebody translated something that caught their eye, that Xenoblade chronicles X was about 5 times the size of Xenoblade... Just kidding that was already known. What we got on top of that this time was a number!

Xenoblade chronicles X map is 400 square kilometers!!! Convert that to miles, and you get 154.44 square miles!!!

Perspective time!

Red dead redemption was 12 square miles
Skyrim was 16 square miles
GTA 5 was 49 square miles

An interesting side note, divided by 5, we get 49.7 square miles for Xonoblade! Finally confirming my measurements of Xenoblade being around 50 square miles to be surprisingly accurate! Hooray!

qvxth.gif

so big and the world is not barren... this should make anyone who was worried about Zelda U sleep easier at night.
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

Definitely gonna have to get my hands on this game. That overworld is MASSIVE. And what's more, I'm pretty sure you can reach everything, correct? I wouldn't be surprised to spend hours just exploring the world. The hype is real.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

Definitely gonna have to get my hands on this game. That overworld is MASSIVE. And what's more, I'm pretty sure you can reach everything, correct? I wouldn't be surprised to spend hours just exploring the world. The hype is real.

Totally correct. Anyplace you cant get to on foot, you can literally hop on a mech and fly there, even if the only thing to do up there is look at how high up you got, thats something I seriously appreciate.

Going to be some awesome user take pictures of this game.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

So this is over 6X larger than Xenoblade!

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

What measurements for Xenoblade are you using?

I always got it was about 50 square miles of traversable terrain when doing my measurements of the maps of all the areas.

50*5=250 square miles

250 * 1.6 = 400 Kilometers Squared.

Wouldnt 6 times be 300 square miles and 480 square km?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

I have always known it to be about 20 not 50. I don't have the resource anymore. Different PC so all those bookmarks long since left me when that HDD died lol. Just someone did the math of the hieght of each Titan then factored in the fingers hieght then measured from there on playable world and it came to 19. something nearly 20 Squared.

#8 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

Wow...

The game is humongous! :o

If i buy this it will take me years to finish! :D

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

I have always known it to be about 20 not 50. I don't have the resource anymore. Different PC so all those bookmarks long since left me when that HDD died lol. Just someone did the math of the hieght of each Titan then factored in the fingers hieght then measured from there on playable world and it came to 19. something nearly 20 Squared.

Yeah... Thats not very good at all. I think I remember it being... Gamefaqs? Theres a lot of variables that would throw that off even if the math was all right.

What myself and some others did was use the hud objective system to get precisely 1000 meters away from an objective, and use that distance on the map screen to begin making a 1000 meter squared grid system on the maps, taking into account all traversable layers. It got really tough on the map edges because they were just so irregular, so we had a lot of 1/2, 1/3/ and 1/4 approximations.

Ended up just shy of 80 Km squared. which comes out at around 50 square miles. Wasnt expecting to be so close to on the money because of the map edge approximations.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

how accurate is a meter in that game to real life? Many games tend to approximate and end up with a distance that varies from .3-2.0x the actual distance.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

how accurate is a meter in that game to real life? Many games tend to approximate and end up with a distance that varies from .3-2.0x the actual distance.

Seemed pretty close to a meter judging by the height of the characters. The height of most averaged height characters if they were laying down would be approximately the length of 2 Xenoblade distance units. Characters like Reyn and Riki of course, were exempted from this metric.

Xenoblade didnt appear to try and use 'potato land' space compression to fake its scale of the geometry.

It had other tricks, like the skybox, and bionis/mechonis models, but that was for faking being on a world the size of Japan.

But the actual areas you were in, were the real deal scale wise, if it said something was 2000 meters away, thats what it was. No tricks. Became confirmed with the hacking of the game allowing the player to fly all over the place.

Although, your characters COULD run up to like 25 mph or something (Max speed gems)...

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

Here I thought gta 5 was big, X is gigantic! I cannot wait, I'm gonna walk around the whole world and keep a journal of my thoughts

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

Here I thought gta 5 was big, X is gigantic! I cannot wait, I'm gonna walk around the whole world and keep a journal of my thoughts

Going on 3Dudes math then I think GTAV is smaller than Xenoblade on Wii a fair bit.

http://imagizer.imag...1/1084/d60t.jpg

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

Going on 3Dudes math then I think GTAV is smaller than Xenoblade on Wii a fair bit.
http://imagizer.imag...1/1084/d60t.jpg

Good find.

Ive never actually tried to measure gta5... In fact ive barely played through it. Ive just been using the 'official' consensus released from rockstars pr about it being 49 square miles.

But this isnt the first time ive seen the 31 sqm figure...

And that map convinced me to do some newer digging...

Leading to a pretty solid looking measurement of 6.6 x 4.7 miles for 31 square miles, which is indeed smaller than blade by a fair bit.

On top of that, 350 blocks are ocean so thats 12.5 square miles of the game thats just featureless barren water, and only 18.5 square miles of land.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

This begs the question...

Which game will have a bigger overworld?

Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Or The Legend of Zelda on Wii U?

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

This begs the question...

Which game will have a bigger overworld?

Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Or The Legend of Zelda on Wii U?

Zelda U if what Nintendo claims is true. Size of Kyoto. Kyoto is 319sqm. So Zelda maybe close to that plus or minus a few sqm.

#17 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:28 PM

Zelda U if what Nintendo claims is true. Size of Kyoto. Kyoto is 319sqm. So Zelda maybe close to that plus or minus a few sqm.

What's the biggest over world that we have ever seen in a game so far?

sfOI1m6.jpg

#18 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

That would be mind blowing. Just imagine all the secrets and mini dungeons. 0_0 It could seriously take hours to traverse the world map and check out locations.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#19 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

What's the biggest over world that we have ever seen in a game so far?

Probably Elder Scrolls II in 1996. However Just Cause 3 in terms of just size puts XCX and Zelda to shame. Problem is it's empty. Nothing there to do or really see. It's lifeless. So it's not just the size but how much life is put in the world. ESII was on PC's in 1996 so it's all one huge flat plain. XCX is using modern game deign in using that world in area mass and vertical in cliffs and flight and more ways. So even smaller it's more impressive. FFXV is looking like it's uing PS2 world design in one big area but very limited where you can go and do.

XCX maybe the best world of any of them seemingly.

#20 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Probably Elder Scrolls II in 1996. However Just Cause 3 in terms of just size puts XCX and Zelda to shame. Problem is it's empty. Nothing there to do or really see. It's lifeless. So it's not just the size but how much life is put in the world. ESII was on PC's in 1996 so it's all one huge flat plain. XCX is using modern game deign in using that world in area mass and vertical in cliffs and flight and more ways. So even smaller it's more impressive. FFXV is looking like it's uing PS2 world design in one big area but very limited where you can go and do.

XCX maybe the best world of any of them seemingly.

Yeah, but how long have people been waiting for a Zelda game with a huge open world? :D

sfOI1m6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!