Photo

Microsoft and Sony spoiler tactics for wii u launch?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

They've already started their spoiler tactics by flooding the Internet with fake negative developer "interviews", forum postings, and even starting up wii u sites similar to this one just to put a fake fan perspective into view.

Common things are put forth in blog postings, the sites added commentary to actual news, and forum moderator "corrections" like:

"it may not be quite as powerful as the 360, but who cares! It's an he Nintendo system!"
"who cares about graphics. It won't affect your enjoyment of the game."
"at least it's as powerful as ps3 now. And those will be its competitors since they'll still be around for a couple years with move and kinect."

All of which are stabs at the wii u and trying to put forth in the public mindshare that somehow Nintendo tech must be behind since the name of their company starts with an "n" instead of "m" or "s" (conveniently ignoring nintendos storied history of pushing the graphics tech envelope).
Then they hope that the public will see that as a sign to wait until the "real" next gen consoles show up.
Some sites have even been set up as wolves in wheels clothing so to speak.

In reality, the wii u is the true next gen. And it is going to be quite a ride.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 27 May 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#22 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

They've already started their spoiler tactics by flooding the Internet with fake negative developer "interviews", forum postings, and even starting up wii u sites similar to this one just to put a fake fan perspective into view.

Common things are put forth in blog postings, the sites added commentary to actual news, and forum moderator "corrections" like:

"it may not be quite as powerful as the 360, but who cares! It's an he Nintendo system!"
"who cares about graphics. It won't affect your enjoyment of the game."
"at least it's as powerful as ps3 now. And those will be its competitors since they'll still be around for a couple years with move and kinect."

All of which are stabs at the wii u and trying to put forth in the public mindshare that somehow Nintendo tech must be behind since the name of their company starts with an "n" instead of "m" or "s".
Then they hope that the public will see that as a sign to wait until the "real" next gen consoles show up.
Some sites have even been set up as wolves in wheels clothing so to speak.

In reality, the wii u is the true next gen. And it is going to be quite a ride.

No offense but you must be pretty gullible and naive if you believe all that. Not only that but your last comment is ridiculous as neither MS nor Sony have officially revealed anything of their next gen console offerings.

#23 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

They are too busy focussed on their products. I believe you are confused, its TRUE they could derail Nintendo but that would be indirectly.

I honestly don't think that either company would, Microsoft is too heavily focused on metro, they have to reveal Woodstock(the Zune replacement) and have a bigger emphasis on the media capabilities of their console. They have a legion of halo fans to impress with Halo 4. Derail Nintendo? Indirectly yes, they are emphasis their products and presenting them to consumers which also tends to be Sony and Nintendos audience as well.

Same thing applies to Sony, they are going to have to commit to vita, impress with gow campaign, last of us and all stars. That is to current console owners and again potential owners which are the same consumers.

I agree with the other person too that these companies are not trying to detail Nintendo.

Be a fan not a fanboy.

I mean like Sony and Microsoft could be like "Why would you want a Wii U when you could have a PS3/360 with more games and all this stuff" that's what I mean by derial, I know Sony and Microsoft won't show off the PS4/720 this year.

#24 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think anyone who believes a company will stand back and let their competitor get potential customers from them without a fight is crazy. Yes, Microsoft and Sony have things to prove and show. Those things better make a big wave and keep customers from buying into the Wii U.

And I still hold to a possibility of seeing something from the others about next gen. Just because they said tgey aren't going to show anything doesnt mean they wont. I dont expect a huge reveal, but showing us something sure.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#25 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Only thing Microsoft has near the Wii U launch is Halo 4.

Sony...I dont know a bunch of Vita games...But Wii U cannot be stopped.
[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#26 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

No offense but you must be pretty gullible and naive if you believe all that. Not only that but your last comment is ridiculous as neither MS nor Sony have officially revealed anything of their next gen console offerings.

None taken.

But it would be extremely gullible to believe that ms and Sony are above that. Sony used to even hire a guy to write news articles in favor of them under a fake name. Microsoft considers the tactics I outlined as trench warfare.

And I don't know everything about what the final specs will be for ms and Sony next consoles but I do know Sony is bleeding money and ms investors don't want them to take a hit with one of the few lucrative departments left in the company. So they may still lose money on their next systems but not to the extent they did this time (which is the main train this gen has gone on so long). They have to make a console they can sell. That means it has to hit a certain price range.
There's so much you can put together under $1000 - $800 and then sell for $450.

If they can do more than that, great. But it's not happening. The wii u and next systems from competitors will be in the same ballpark.

#27 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Both Sony and MS have stated they have no plans on talking about their next gen systems at E3. That said its not a forgone conclusion that Nintendo will win this years E3 but if they come out strong with the Wii U plans then they should have the best of E3.

I think given the fact that Sony and MS won't show new consoles this year, it IS a forgone conclusion that it's at least Nintendo's E3 to win or lose. Kinect is a software failure in my opinion (I do own one) and no amount of garbage they show will convince the gaming community otherwise. I think everyone knew deep down Kinect Star Wars was going to suck. Sony will probably be trying to convince people not to give up on Vita, I have a feeling their conference will have a "defensive" feeling to it. Halo 4 will be huge, I'm looking forward to it. But I'm so much more looking forward to Wii U details than anything MS or Sony have to offer and I own both a 360 and PS3, as well.

Edited by JaylisJayP, 27 May 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#28 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

yea, I actually think this will happen
e3: let wiiU take the showfloor
before next e3: offer price cuts/Christmas specials, overadvertize computers and t.v.'s and try to take wiiU money other ways.
next e3: unvail console perhaps a tad better in performance and bring up last years lost hype, the people who held off and those they managed to be held off will be convinced to buy the newer console

either way they're consoles won't be shown this year
:laugh:

#29 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

*reads title*

"OMG! Microsoft and Sony spoiling Wii U information for us!!! I don't know how that works out, but TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!"

... and so it was.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#30 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

yea, I actually think this will happen
e3: let wiiU take the showfloor
before next e3: offer price cuts/Christmas specials, overadvertize computers and t.v.'s and try to take wiiU money other ways.
next e3: unvail console perhaps a tad better in performance and bring up last years lost hype, the people who held off and those they managed to be held off will be convinced to buy the newer console

either way they're consoles won't be shown this year

But that's normal business practicises. It's competition, their productss have to be competitively priced.

Sony and MS have a lot of faith in there products, they are more likely to invest in their products which without a doubt are stellar products to be proud of. Halo changed the FPS genre and made it viable on consoles, Halo 4 is a rebirth of Halo after Bungie left.

Sony has faith in their first party titles, people are still stunned by The Last Of Us, why wouldn't they be proud of their products that they've heavily invested in. Its TRUE they want to distract a way from Nintendo but the only way that occurs is by showing of their products which they are very proud of.

Price cuts are over due, last time I think the PS3 had a cut was Gamescom 2010.

Guys we're gamers, we enjoy games, at the end of the day these companies are making entertaining products for us, it really doesn't matter if its Sony Nintendo or Microsoft. The days of bashing companies is over, they're no longer a bunch of kids. Its not going to be like E3 2004/2005 where Reggie complained about the competition. What's best is that these companies focus on delivering their great products rather than turn E3 into a verbal fight (Unless its done by Kevin Butler)

#31 Rockalot

Rockalot

Blooper

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

you cant speculate something like this on the site. it will not be tolerated. most believe they both will not show anything but i think sony has something up their sleeve.

What the fudge? Where do you get off telling another member who is as equal as you what he can and cannot say? He didn't say anything out of line, and just because it might be something you don't want to think about doesn't mean it's wrong or bad. He brings up a very valid and interesting point which could lead to a multitude of further discussions.

We know both Microsoft and Sony are working on their next consoles. While they won't be superior to the Wii U's offerings by any kind of substantial margin, it will be enough to bolster their advertising. Whether they're quick enough to catch those Wii U sales before they happen is another story. Part of why Nintendo has been so secretive, I'm assuming.

Posted Image

#32 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

None taken.

But it would be extremely gullible to believe that ms and Sony are above that. Sony used to even hire a guy to write news articles in favor of them under a fake name. Microsoft considers the tactics I outlined as trench warfare.

And I don't know everything about what the final specs will be for ms and Sony next consoles but I do know Sony is bleeding money and ms investors don't want them to take a hit with one of the few lucrative departments left in the company. So they may still lose money on their next systems but not to the extent they did this time (which is the main train this gen has gone on so long). They have to make a console they can sell. That means it has to hit a certain price range.
There's so much you can put together under $1000 - $800 and then sell for $450.

If they can do more than that, great. But it's not happening. The wii u and next systems from competitors will be in the same ballpark.

If you want to believe conspiracy theories like that then go ahead. I've been playing games as well as selling them and going to various game shows including E3 too long to put any stock in rubbish like that. As much as I hate saying it you come across as a typical Nintendo fanboy and not someone who loves games in general and supports the industry as a whole.

#33 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

First off all the hypes about nintendo and wii u. Ive heard hardly anything about the other 2. So people might not even bother watching the sony and ms confrences. Im kinda thinking apple may enter the ring, which i feel wud be a real threat, to all 3 console devs. But again who knows. Next week is going to be so good.

First off all the hypes about nintendo and wii u. Ive heard hardly anything about the other 2. So people might not even bother watching the sony and ms confrences. Im kinda thinking apple may enter the ring, which i feel wud be a real threat, to all 3 console devs. But again who knows. Next week is going to be so good.

#34 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

There is no way Apple is going to get involved in the home console business. Also you may not bother watching the MS and Sony press conferences but I'm sure a lot of others will as they will be just as interesting if not worthwhile. Owning consoles by all three companies and not being biased to anyone of them I'll certainly be watching all three. The only thing that should be important is the games not who develops or publishes them or on whose console they are released.

#35 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

If you want to believe conspiracy theories like that then go ahead. I've been playing games as well as selling them and going to various game shows including E3 too long to put any stock in rubbish like that. As much as I hate saying it you come across as a typical Nintendo fanboy and not someone who loves games in general and supports the industry as a whole.

You go to E3 in what capacity? Just curious.

Because you seem to lack knowledge of a vee common industry practice.

#36 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

You go to E3 in what capacity? Just curious.

Because you seem to lack knowledge of a vee common industry practice.

What industry practice is that ?

#37 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

What industry practice is that ?

Still waiting for your answer...

#38 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

To establish a new console and get a foothold really requires great launch numbers, Nintendo this time around seems to have timed the wii U for a november/christmas launch which is the best possible timing.

Clearly its not in Sony or Microsoft's interest for their market share of consoles to be reduced. A poor wii U launch is in their interests. There is no question they will try to spoil the launch. I didn't think that was the debatable bit just how they were going to do it. I don't want the wii U launch damaged I'm getting a bit tired of the ps3 and 360 now and I'm looking forward to a new console but just curious about what they would try.

I'd also like to comment on the comments that seem to suggest if someone has a view that the wii U will be of similar performance to 360/PS3 they are in some way anti-Nintendo and Sony or Microsoft fanboys. Clearly its a possibility and many news stories have featured this view. It should be perfectly acceptable to hold this view and yet still be enthusiastic for the wii U and not be seen as some sort of enemy of Nintendo.

Some might say raising people's expectations of the wii U specification is counter-productive if it turns out the specification is well below that. You are basically going to disappoint a lot of people.

It seems that to some video gaming is like their religion, they worship their chosen console brand and fight all criticism of it. It corrupts their whole viewpoint of consoles to the point where their perspective is not realistic or truthful.

Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are not our friends.

#39 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

I think that if Sony or Microsoft showcased their consoles this year it would blow up in their faces. It's okay for wii u because it's the first new console. The others would see a slow down in their current consoles. If the next gen consoles cannot produce graphics notably better than the wii u then that could be nintendos entire selling point. Why pay more for a system that can't out perform the cheaper console that has an install base which means more games and support. I just think that who ever gets to the market first is usually the winner...

Posted Image

#40 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

usman, you just completely added a emote to my unbiassed comment
just stating what would happen, obvious already for everyone

but hey, i still do love bashing companies, theres always one greater, and its always good to put them in their place however you can
usually you educate yourself before you bash a company
ms vs linux
ms vs nintendo
ms causing general computer sales in strict marketing rules under joint policies and agreements
so yea, although i like the opposite of what your saying... unbiassed comment
*-* <- hypno eyes
:laugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!