Photo

Epic uses for the Wii U gamepad! (mockups and concepts)

Wii U Gamepad Wii U Gameplay idea mockups Wii U mockups concepts

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

POPULAR

let's be creative now people, we have already seen examples today at E3 such as inventory, sniper scope, scanners and radars so what other unique uses could this new controller have?

here's a template you can use to illustrate:
Posted Image
Just cut out the pics and replace them to show off your idea. You can also just cut out the controller and drag it up over the screen to illustrate cameras, scanners etc.

here's mine...

Tank game:
*Full 360 degree panoramic view of inside the cockpit of your tank.
*Touch screen control panel interface allows you to press the actual shiny (and sometimes big and red) buttons instead of buttons on your gamepad.

Posted Image
(This could be huge for flight sims game too.)

Pokemon game:
*Gamepad acts as your inventory.
*Selecting most items for you inventory opens a "mini-game" for you to use the item.
*Item uses include: sliding pokeballs along the screen towards the tv to catch/release pokemon and having a pokedex that you can use to identify on-screen pokemon.

Posted Image

my example of a where's wally game:

you'd have to find him amongst a crowd and take photo's of him It could have high scores where accuracy (how close to the center of the image he is) and how fast you found him increase your score. heck you could play with 2 players each using a different Wii U gamepad you could have player constantly moving around in the crowd sort of like an active hide and seek game.

Posted Image

other examples:

Metal gear solid Wii U:

have your communication device in your hands while playing the game.

Features:

*Rumble function while volume is on mute.
*Call in-game characters.
*Call monitoring, don't like a certain character? then don't answer.
*Text messaging for the socially awkward.
*3 built-in mini-games: Snake, Snake-man and Snake invaders.

Posted Image

Super smash bros. Universe:

Posted Image

X-ray device!:
Posted Image

Edited by ianh05, 11 June 2012 - 07:18 PM.

"The consensus was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction." - Shigeru Miyamoto

#2 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

wow wish i could make something creative DX Well i was thinking that in left 4 dead 4 people share the TV with normal controllers while 2 game pads users would use the screen to be the infected but i dont know how i would use those images to make it

1367065580450s.jpg

#3 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

Pokemon.

#4 Repsys7

Repsys7

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Looks great, some really good ideas! But the one thing I really dont agree with is where you say "pressing things in your inventory will bring up minigames" I really really really hope (but know that it will) that Wii U wont have gay little gimmicky minigames that get tiring and repetitive after the second time you play it, you dont need that carp just leave it out nintendo please!

#5 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Posted Image

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

POPULAR

This is my idea:
Spoiler

Edited by Nollog, 11 June 2012 - 05:21 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image

Pokemon.

I could totally see myself yelling into the microphone so loud!

#8 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Here's an interesting idea from a poster on another forum:

"You can place spycam anywhere in the game world. Your character on screen move away from the spycam location, but the video (of the spycam) will still be projected onto your controller while playing."
"The consensus was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction." - Shigeru Miyamoto

#9 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Posted ImageRockband

First person football NFL 2k or NCAA or Madden
Posted Image
Yell Hike!

Edited by Sportsgamer, 11 June 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#10 Repsys7

Repsys7

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

POPULAR

Here's an interesting idea from a poster on another forum:

"You can place spycam anywhere in the game world. Your character on screen move away from the spycam location, but the video (of the spycam) will still be projected onto your controller while playing."

Wow that would be awesome in COD!

Posted Image
So you place a camera spike down somewhere and then you can leave and just watch it on the bottom screen

#11 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Posted ImageRockband

You could have the virtual guitar on the screen while the performance is showing up in HD on the TV.

#12 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Me...too.....lazy.
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#13 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

lol explain an idea and maybe someone else can illustrate it for you :)

here's a new one that just popped into my head for the different perspective idea:

Posted Image

you could rotate 360 degrees to view whats above the water :)

Edited by ianh05, 11 June 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#14 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

What program do you use?

lol explain an idea and maybe someone else can illustrate it for you :)

here's a new one that just popped into my head for the different perspective idea:

Posted Image

you could rotate 360 degrees to view whats above the water :)

#15 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

just good old paint, copy and paste :) just use the template I posted in the original post, download some pics that can illustrate your idea and paste them in the blank screen areas.

#16 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

Wow that would be awesome in COD!

Posted Image
So you place a camera spike down somewhere and then you can leave and just watch it on the bottom screen

What program do you use?

just good old paint, copy and paste :) just use the template I posted in the original post, download some pics that can illustrate your idea and paste them in the blank screen areas.

Me too

#17 JD2995

JD2995

Blooper

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

I like the call of duty idea, but i think that concept suit better in Battlefield 3.
Posted Image
Sorry for my bad english

#18 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

I'd do one, but I choose not to. :P

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#19 Repsys7

Repsys7

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

What program do you use?

Photoshop but only cause I have it, you could do it in anything really.

#20 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

A large list of possible functions from: http://www.neogaf.co...&postcount=6381

"Frees up screen real estate.

- Essential for clean split-screen play.
- Allows for more information to be conveyed to a player even in a split screen environment. Anyone play Starcraft 64 and try and sort out all that info?
- The secondary function of a gun you're carrying, explained in detail rather than a name or blurb. Imagine all of the info that can't be conveyed because it's too much text/images mid-game, but can be shown on the secondary screen. In theory, you could have a sort of 'mini manual' down there.

More 'cinematic' games.

- Minimalist UI
- Off-screen subtitles
- Unobtrusive but 'necessary' updates

- Achivements Updates
- Friends logging in/out
- System messages

Privacy during split-screen.

- What item you're holding in Mario Kart.
- What weapon you're carrying in a FPS.
- How close to empty your clip is in a FPS.
- Your radar in a FPS.
- How full your Super meter is in a fighting game (so your opponent can't predict when you're about to use it).
- What backup characters you've selected in a fighting game.
- What if there was a fighting game where you couldn't see how much life the other guy had? You'd have to judge based on their character's visible damage.
- What actions you've selected in a turn-based Strategy game.
- A private sniper scope. Even when you see someone zooming in with your peripheral vision, you know they're about to take a shot.
- Maybe there is a 'blind' mode where your part of the TV is blacked out, but you can still navigate via the controller.
- Dice rolls in an RPG.
- Plays in a Sports Game.
- Imagine stealing home when your opponent isn't looking because there isn't a UI element that constantly shows where every player is at.
- Hide and go seek.
- What cards you're holding in a card-based battle (Pokemon CCG anyone?)

Player-specific Information (i.e. Crystal Chronicles)

- Everyone has a different piece of information that they need to monitor and inform the other players of.
- Class based RPGs or FPSers can offer unique 'perspectives', like having night vision as a spy, satellite view as a commander, being able to see cracks in walls as a Dwarf, etc.
- Personal track info in Guitar Hero/Rockband-type games.
- Character sheets in an RPG, so you can see all of your character's info at a glance any time.

Motion Control + Screen = Augmented Reality

- Games that can display new things based on where you're pointing the controller.
- Games that change based on where you are in relation to other players.
- With an away-facing camera, a controller you can 'look through'.

The touch screen can become a new set of buttons at any time.

- Capable of more buttons than any console controller ever (except that big honkin' PSO Gamecube keyboard).
- A decently sized, off-screen keyboard.
- Context-sensitive buttons, changing as your status or position in the game changes.
- Access to all inventory items / tools / weapons at all times.
- Could allow for MMO-style action bars; a traditional controller has a hard time making, say, 10-15 spells fit comfortably. Now imagine you can just touch a spell icon to cast it.

PSO2 has action bars... and has been announced for PC only... but maybe because Sega hasn't been given permission to reveal it's also hitting on the Wii2.... Ohh, please let this be so...

- Fully Customizable Face Buttons. Imagine you can 'drag' new actions to the XYAB face buttons on the fly

The touch screen can become a more precise method of controlling things.

- As close to a mouse as consoles could get without an actual mouse/trackball.
- Touch-and-drag unit selection in RTS games.
- RTS-style overhead controls for squad-based shooters.
- Make detailed battle plans in a tactical shooter ("Go here, then here, then take out that guy and I will meet you here")
- "Drawing-based controls".

- Draw a line between multiple enemies to aim a boomerang.
- Draw shapes on an overhead map to cast spells like walls of fire, areas of effect, etc.
- Smudge the screen for real-time terrain deforming.
- User-Generated Maps and stages can be built with precise controls.

- Basically all of the touch screen features of DS games."

Basically it is going to offer console gamers more genres like MMO and RTS games.

Edited by ianh05, 11 June 2012 - 11:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U Gamepad, Wii U, Gameplay idea mockups, Wii U mockups concepts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!