Photo

What happens if the PS4 and 720 are only 2-4x more powerful than Wii U?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:42 AM

Lets be realistic... It didnt won in graphics, horsepower and mature hardcore games.,... It won with mario, zelda, metroid, dance, tenis, dance, gymnastics etc... So if wii U is about to win again with dance, mario, tenis, zelda and metroid... is fair enough,.. But it will still be a minor choice / console for those who love different games as well... more mature and more hardcore, with the newest engines, etc.. I mean, in this kind of consoles, its the best to wait 2-3 years, get it when is extremely cheap.. and enjoy some exclusives..

So its different types of winnings... If wii was more like gamecube, I bet, that wii U was about to be released next year or in 2 years from now, with better specs.. Lets say that nintendo makes 2-3-4 marios.. 1 or 2 zelda, 1 metroid.. then what.. they loose, they loose gamers, they loose trust, they loose 3rd party support, etc.. dont they? And they have to change hardware much faster than the others...

2-3 days ago, a guy told me that wii U the way they finalized it... IT IS NOT CAPABLE for the demos we saw in 2011 E3!!! AND WE WILL never see this demos again, as they originally run them, from behind the scenes, through a very strong PC!!!! NOT WII U, It was a patend.. Thats what he told me and I freaked out, because i felt like a jerk believing on it.. and this guy was from an official nintendo forum, he answered me in a question "what we wish from nitenndo to give free with wii U package and I answered, the demos from E3 2011, but he said.. "forget about it, it was fake". I dont know if its true, maybe he was disappointed as many others... Fingers crossed, as I said, I will wait for a hardware review.

There is a possibility for the demos to be fake after all.. considering that this demos run at 1080p with AA and 60fps..

Edited by Orion, 17 June 2012 - 04:18 AM.

#22 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

i still dont understand the logic that wii u will lose next gen. in fairness the least powerful hardware have won the past two generations. so wii u could still become the sales leaders. it will be fine. if you look at the information nintendo has said thus far and read between the lines you will understand this console is more than capable from a tech/power/graphics standpoint.

This is true. Powerful hardware very rarely does much to help sales in this day and age. The only worry is that if hardware in the Wii U is too weak, it could very easily end up getting swamped with shovelware and lose all third party support once Xbox 720 and PS4 launch. Which is what I think Nintendo doesn't realise anymore unfortunately.

Posted Image

#23 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

If something would have 6 times the power of the current gen that would mean like gtx 670 or something. That can run stuff at 2060p 60fps or something.

I think it's about max 1.5-2x times the power of the current gen.

I think the Wii U is about 50-75% stronger than current gen. That's quite good.

Also, Nintendo will never ever release a power house console. Only cause the gamecube didn't sell well. Well I think the gamecube is the best nintendo console all time <_<

Edited by Hinkik, 17 June 2012 - 03:47 AM.

28gxdv8.png

#24 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

Lets be realistic... It didnt won in graphics, horsepower and mature hardcore games.,... It won with mario, zelda, metroid, dance, tenis, dance, gymnastics etc... So if wii U is about to win again with dance, mario, tenis, zelda and metroid... is fair enough,.. But it will still be a minor choice / console for those who love different games as well... more mature and more hardcore, with the newest engines, etc.. I mean, in this kind of consoles, its the best to wait 3-4 years, get it when is extremely cheap or via a competition.. and enjoy some exclusives... indeed..

So its different types of winnings... If wii was more like gamecube, I bet, that wii U was about to be released next year or in 2 years from now, with better specs.. Lets say that nintendo makes 2-3-4 marios.. 1 or 2 zelda, 1 metroid.. then what.. they loose, they loose gamers, they loose trust, they loose 3rd party support, etc.. dont they? And they have to change hardware much faster than the others...

2-3 days ago, a guy told me that wii U the way they finalized it... IT IS NOT CAPABLE for the demos we saw in 2011 E3!!! AND WE WILL never see this demos again, as they originally run them, from behind the scenes, through a very strong PC!!!! NOT WII U... It was a pattend.. Thats what he told me and I freaked out, because i felt like a jerk believing on it.. and this guy was from an official nintendo forum.

you believe what you will the facts are there though. im not going to point them out as i have in the past but this console will be powerful enough to run next gen engines. it wont be as powerful as the most powerful next gen but it will be there as a next gen graphics system. I CAN PUT MY WORD ON THAT ONE. remember i said it here when others were doubting. so when the others come out and we see Wii U getting the same games this man here wasnt a doubter. day one thank you nintendo.

#25 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

i still dont understand the logic that wii u will lose next gen. in fairness the least powerful hardware have won the past two generations. so wii u could still become the sales leaders. it will be fine. if you look at the information nintendo has said thus far and read between the lines you will understand this console is more than capable from a tech/power/graphics standpoint.

The logic being that the Wii U isn't expected to be powerful enough to run multiplat games of 720/PS4 games. Nintendo spent more money on the controller and is features, so the actual console itself isn't going to be as powerful as the 720 and PS4, two consoles that will use the money on the internal console parts rather than a fancy controller. The differences will be significant enough that the Wii U may not get some multiplat games and it will be this gen all over again.

If something would have 6 times the power of the current gen that would mean like gtx 670 or something. That can run stuff at 2060p 60fps or something.

Also, Nintendo will never ever release a power house console. Only cause the gamecube didn't sell well. Well I think the gamecube is the best nintendo console all time <_<

Power is usually measured in consoles by FLOPs, RAM, memory speed, type of memory, number of cores, feature sets, and support for shader models.

For example, the 360's GPU is 250 GFLOPs and in order to run UE4 or a Samaritan demo like game at 720p you need approximately a 1TFLOP GPU (which is 4x the power of the 360). If the Samiritan demo is supposed to be what next gen games look like then the PS4 and 720 will be at minimum 4x more powerful than this gens hd twins.

Of course the latest rumors from neogaf suggest the PS4 and 720 are aiming more for 1.5 TFLOPS GPUs which would smoke Wii U hard.

But, all this talk of power isn't really useful. What hurt the Wii was the lack of support of programmable shaders, which can help make any game look good. The 3DS supports it and that's how RE: Revelations and Super Mario 3D Land look better than some Vita games and Wii games. If the Wii U can support the newest shader models and feature API that supports tesselation and lightning etc, than it will be able to recieve ports of the HD twins next gen. The problem is all signs are pointing to it not being able to get those ports.

Edited by 10k, 17 June 2012 - 04:21 AM.

Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#26 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:24 AM

like i said you guys keep that mindset and when things get revealed and real world next gen games come to wii u dont jump on bandwagon then. buy your ps4's and nextbox and play the games on them.

#27 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

In a console is different, so I believe radeon 7850-7870 the successor of 6850 and 6870... will do the job..

#28 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:32 AM

The logic being that the Wii U isn't expected to be powerful enough to run multiplat games of 720/PS4 games. Nintendo spent more money on the controller and is features, so the actual console itself isn't going to be as powerful as the 720 and PS4, two consoles that will use the money on the internal console parts rather than a fancy controller. The differences will be significant enough that the Wii U may not get some multiplat games and it will be this gen all over again.

Power is usually measured in consoles by FLOPs, RAM, memory speed, type of memory, number of cores, feature sets, and support for shader models.

For example, the 360's GPU is 250 GFLOPs and in order to run UE4 or a Samaritan demo like game at 720p you need approximately a 1TFLOP GPU (which is 4x the power of the 360). If the Samiritan demo is supposed to be what next gen games look like then the PS4 and 720 will be at minimum 4x more powerful than this gens hd twins.

Of course the latest rumors from neogaf suggest the PS4 and 720 are aiming more for 1.5 TFLOPS GPUs which would smoke Wii U hard.

But, all this talk of power isn't really useful. What hurt the Wii was the lack of support of programmable shaders, which can help make any game look good. The 3DS supports it and that's how RE: Revelations and Super Mario 3D Land look better than some Vita games and Wii games. If the Wii U can support the newest shader models and feature API that supports tesselation and lightning etc, than it will be able to recieve ports of the HD twins next gen. The problem is all signs are pointing to it not being able to get those ports.

tflop ram speed and stuff like means totally nothing. It's the end result what the machine can give us that matters. PS3 as a machine gives us Battlefield 3 720p 30fps for example. My computer as a machine gives me Battlefield 3 1080p 60fps. Never ever measure power in specs you can't some stuff may have super high specs but sucks in high temperatures like 30 degrees Celsius. It's how the parts work together. And it seems like everyone thinks tflops is the way to tell how powerful some hardware is that's wrong. You can't say how powerful something is with a number. You know even different hardware can be good at different games.

What I am saying is that if the next xbox is 6 times as powerful, that means it's gonna be able to run games 6 times the res or 6 times the framerate. Or give us 6 times longer to render eye candy. And that my friend is impossible.

Also support for different software stuff isn't the same as power. That is basically just support for API and stuff.

28gxdv8.png

#29 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

you believe what you will the facts are there though. im not going to point them out as i have in the past but this console will be powerful enough to run next gen engines. it wont be as powerful as the most powerful next gen but it will be there as a next gen graphics system. I CAN PUT MY WORD ON THAT ONE. remember i said it here when others were doubting. so when the others come out and we see Wii U getting the same games this man here wasnt a doubter. day one thank you nintendo.

If the console runs the new engines, I may buy it from day one (NOT LIKE crysis on xbox versus the pc version, and xbox version looked HORRIBLE) hehe.. if it cant run the new engines.. I will buy it, in a couple of years.. cheap... for some exclusives..

Edited by Orion, 17 June 2012 - 04:35 AM.

#30 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

In a console is different, so I believe radeon 7850-7870 the successor of 6850 and 6870... will do the job..

You are telling me 7850 will be 6 times more powerful than the current gpu? That means it should be able to run the same games as xbox 360 does and render it in something 4K res and still maintaining 30-60fps.

28gxdv8.png

#31 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

more than that... its about 2.5 tflops.. I think ( I speak about versus 360 gpu)

Edited by Orion, 17 June 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#32 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

Nintendo is going to win the next 'console war' anyway. Look, the people that I've told about the Wii U said it was amazing and they will definatley buy it this year. Plus, Nintendo does have a big advantage, the Wii U is being realeased before the Next Box and PS4. Anyway, even if the Wii U is less powerful than the other two consoles, I don't care, it's not all about power. :)

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#33 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, StarFox, Kid Icarus, SSB

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

Nintendo is going to win the next 'console war' anyway. Look, the people that I've told about the Wii U said it was amazing and they will definatley buy it this year. Plus, Nintendo does have a big advantage, the Wii U is being realeased before the Next Box and PS4. Anyway, even if the Wii U is less powerful than the other two consoles, I don't care, it's not all about power. :)

I'm with you on that one, TerrorX932. Nintendo is DEFINITELY gonna win the next infamous "Console War". They've used two technological processors from IBM and AMD and added new stuff under the hood including a revolutionary touchscreen control with NFC technology. What we are now looking at is the 8th generation console that does everything... gaming, social, and entertainment. Combine them all, and we have ourselves the Nintendo Wii U. A system we all enjoy together, but a system that's tailor made just for you.

Bayonetta2banner102414.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#34 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

All of my 360 friends are impressed with the direction the Wii U is going and think Kinect has ruined the XBox. The Wii may have started motion controls, but at least they have legit titles like Metroid/Skyward Sword rather than Kinectimals and stuff.

#35 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

1.5 to 2 times more powerful, is more logical without having to shoot up too much on the price...

if the ps4 and xbox720 are really 6x to 10x more powerful, but the prices also 3x to 5x more expensive, will customers pay for it? I won't for sure... i paid about $450 for the fat ps3 before, and that is far as i can go, and i still dont think its that worth it.. im just too bored, and need something new to play =_=
urhhh.. potatoes?

#36 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

A lot of people are saying that the least powerful consoles have won these last two generations.
While that's true, nobody knows if this will change. Notably, a lot of people traded their Wii for a PS3 or 360 just because of Call of Duty.

As much as I'd hate to say it, nothing matters anymore in these console wars except having the definitive version of CoD. MW3 was the biggest release in history, and unless people wise up, nothing will change in that respect. It doesn't matter how many good experiences you can get from a console; if CoD isn't one of them, we lose all of those cassies.

Edited by Jakester897, 17 June 2012 - 01:26 PM.

Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#37 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

By the looks of things Wii U's CPU is about 0.5 times the 360's power, and 0.3 times the PS3's power. Graphically though if we take

• 84GB/s Memory Bandwidth

• 1, 080 GFLOPS

• 12, 000 Mpixles/s

• 27, 000 Mtexles/s

• 35 Texture Units

• 16 Raster Operators
As predicted specs for Wii U GPU based around a hybrid between Radeon 4770 and 4870 series. We can easily see GPU wise it's around 2-4 times more powerful depending on what you're looking for.

When looking at the predicted specs and power of the nextbox and ps4 it's about twice the power of the Wii U. That's around 6-8 times the power of the PS360. That's still not bad at all. There's no way Microsoft or Sony would catch up with PC (which can produce graphics up to 24x PS360) unless they want to go for $599.99+ and still make a loss.

The Nextbox will probably be 8 times the power of the 360 and cost $329.99 for a 500GB version and $399.99 for the 1TB version, along with a blu-ray playbabck upgrade for an extra $50. PS4 will probably cost $399.99 + $449.99 respectively and come packaged with everything and only be something like 0.5 times better than the Nextbox. So marginal in fact that developers wont bother pushing the PS4 unless it's an exclusive.

Still I think Wii U will be powerful enough to port most next gen titles, even if they don't look quite as beautiful. The difference will only be noticed by people playing side by side and looking right up close at the characters and on the screen. The next gen will be fought not by graphical leaps but by innovations in interaction with the medium. Either that or in 7 years time Nintendo release a 9th gen console to compete while Sony and Microsoft will probably try for a 25 or 30 year lifecycle.

#38 RnR

RnR

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

honestly...how much more powerful do consoles need to be? it's not like they are really lacking anything

Posted Image

"Please remember, I'll dismember any member."
The "Help RnR Get a New 360" Fund was a complete success. Thank you all for the support.
Now I am starting the "Help RnR Get Recording Equipment" Fund, anything helps!
Current Amount of Donations: $0

#39 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

honestly...how much more powerful do consoles need to be? it's not like they are really lacking anything

Specs sell consoles, 99% of the 360/PS3 playing crowd gamers don't actually know or tell the difference but if their console has a higher number than the other, it's "obviously" better.

Nintendo have made a very fine tuned machine, that is designed to play HD games at pinpoint accuracy and on two screens. Developers given time will use these tunings to their advantage and make games that rival PS4 and Nextbox graphics. Remember when Resident Evil 4 came out? People were blown away by that.

#40 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

Specs sell consoles

This isnt true at all,the Wii outsold the almighty super powerful PS3 and the 360, The 3DS is outselling the Vita. The Mom and Dad who are out Christmas shopping for their kid arent gonna say "Please sell me the console that has the most CPU power and the highest graphics card" they are gonna see the Wii U and see Mario and they buy it. If you people want super powerful graphics go build yourself a gaming computer...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!