Photo

Wii U's RAM is slower than PS3/Xbox 360.

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#21 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

The wii u is not novice just becuase it has one weakness! Thats like saying the Genesis was way better than the SNES because of so called "blast processing"!

That was a long time ago, also its not one weakness its apparently slow CPU and Slow Ram and a strong GPU but even the GPU isn't a beast.

#22 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

Oh dear, this is not looking good are any other specs confirmed?

#23 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

Apparently it has two weaknesses: Slow RAM and developers have claimed a slow CPU.

I agree the Cpu/RAM may be kind of slow but that doesnt give people the ability to say the whole thing sucks like some poeple are.

Signature_DK.png

#24 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

thats your problem guys, you think you are smarter than a company who has been building consoles for over 29 years, you dont know all the details to understad the situation just like i do too
Posted Image

#25 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

I agree the Cpu/RAM may be kind of slow but that doesnt give people the ability to say the whole thing sucks like some poeple are.

I didn't say it sucks (If you was speaking to me) I just said it seem like a novice pc builder would make in fact a mistake I almost made once.

#26 Ravyu

Ravyu

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Batman, Link and NINTENDO

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

Are the talking about system RAM or GPU VRAM? I'm confused cos it shows comparisons to the GTX 680, and then it talks about the 2GB RAM. Article is bogus don't read it.
A rare 12 Year Old that thinks Nintendo is godly.
PC Specs- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hUYw

#27 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

I wasnt saying you said it I was talking about other reveiwers. Sorry if you thought I was talking about you Koopa

Edited by Mr.Saturn90, 18 November 2012 - 05:34 AM.

Signature_DK.png

#28 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

Are the talking about system RAM or GPU VRAM? I'm confused cos it shows comparisons to the GTX 680, and then it talks about the 2GB RAM. Article is bogus don't read it.

The only video ram is the 32mb edram. Basically that 1GB for games is shared.

#29 Ravyu

Ravyu

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Batman, Link and NINTENDO

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

The only video ram is the 32mb edram. Basically that 1GB for games is shared.

So they RAM and VRAM is shared? If so how the hell can it be 17gb/s?
A rare 12 Year Old that thinks Nintendo is godly.
PC Specs- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hUYw

#30 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

well... It will play the current gen games for sure.. but slower cpu and slower ram latency.... what about the new gen games (its comfirmed that next gen games, wont be able to run in the faster 360/ps3 in manner of ram and cpu)... It will stuck somewhere between. I smell about 1 year of space to make its sales and it will end up the " Next gen casual wii "

The next gen games need fast everything to maintain the animations and textures....

Edited by Orion, 18 November 2012 - 05:53 AM.

#31 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

well... It will play the current gen games for sure.. but slower cpu and slower ram latency.... what about the new gen games... It will stuck somewhere between. I smell about 1 year of space to make its sales and it will end up the " Next gen casual wii "

Are you calling me a casual gamer?!? I take offence to that.

Signature_DK.png

#32 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

I dont know you, how dare I call you like that... lol

But I am thinking about next gen games 2013-2014... (not the ones we allready have in other systems)

Fingers crossed, new topics and info coming up every hour!!! But not happy with what I ve read till now (hardware things)

ps: you know why I am very skeptical about next gen engines and games? Because even if the gpu kicks a#$... its good... it will bottleneck in all the rest! Thats why I said, its really good for platformers (tryne2, mario, rayman, etc and horror games that its more the atmosphere in the game and fear... than the speed of textures, etc...)

Edited by Orion, 18 November 2012 - 06:02 AM.

#33 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

nobody seems to mentioning the fact that although the ram is slower there is more of it than in other consoles

Heh, I told people there was no gddr5.

Eh.... Capacity can do some things, but mostly what you are looking for is bandwidth, which is thew Gb per second listed here. Even so, without knowing the bus width, this information is kinda useless.

Evenits a 64bit bus, what people here arent realizing is that main memory bandwidth on a system like wii u doesnt need to be fast, because its low tier memory on a sophisticated memory hiearchy.

This stuff is where you put things you read off the disc that you dont need right away, multitasking suspended apps,and os. A faster ram with a higher bandwidth moves memory between this, and the on chip cpu and gpu edram which is in turn faster than the midtier memory moves data tat actively needs to be used at lighning speed. And its the high teir memory that can lead to capacity and bandwidth bottlenecks, but wii u has much higher capacity and much higher bandwidth than ps360 could dream of.

I told people before on here when they were talking about gddr5, its pointless to have a high bandwidth main memory when youve devised a system with a large embedded ram cache on its processors. Youd just be wasting money.

More specifically, we’ve heard rumors about the CPU, that it’s supposedly the weakest link of the system. Word has spread that it’s some sort of Broadway (Wii CPU) but in a three-core configuration and improved. Others have argued that based on its reduced size seen in recent pictures and the overall low consumption of the unit, it is not very powerful. Have you encountered any problems during your development because of this component or is it efficient enough?

We didn’t have such problems. The CPU and GPU are a good match. As said before, today’s hardware has bottlenecks with memory throughput when you don’t care about your coding style and data layout. This is true for any hardware and can’t be only cured by throwing more megahertz and cores on it. Fortunately Nintendo made very wise choices for cache layout, ram latency and ram size to work against these pitfalls. Also Nintendo took care that other components like the Wii U GamePad screen streaming, or the built-in camera don’t put a burden on the CPU or GPU.

I have posted Shinens insight of Nintendos memory heiarchy at least three or four times over this past month before this. Not one person has bothered to eben read it. You people do this to yourselves.

Edited by 3Dude, 18 November 2012 - 07:27 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#34 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

The 360 only has 10meg of ultra fast video memory and the ps3 doesn't even have that. The wii u has 32meg of ultra fast video memory, over 3x that of the 360. Ok main memory is a little slower but overall the wii u can still be more powerful for memory speed. The wii u still looks more powerful overall due to the 32 meg of video memory.

If the cpu is a bit weaker and it has 32 megabytes of very fast video memory it would probably be a waste for Nintendo to buy better memory for wii u.

This is in no way negative so far.

What we really want to know is the performance of the cpu in real terms especially compared to 360 and PS3 plus more details on gpu performance especially how it can assist the main cpu for certain tasks. Once we have this information we can start to form a true picture of potential wii u performance.

No surprises so far.

#35 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Its comfirmed officially, the wii U gpu is this one... as it shown... http://www.amd.com/u...screte-gpu.aspx

If you search NOW, on google (24 hours filter), you will get the comfirmation links by IGN.. The gpu is very strong, compared to xbox and ps3.. thats true..

xbox360 = 48 unified shaders
ps3 = is older gpu, without shaders or cuda... (its nvidia)

wii U is 400-480 unified shaders and (all the features of open gl 4.1, dx 11, even if dx11 will not be used)

Here is the link by IGN http://www.ign.com/b...rue.452674508/

I c that they posted it 1 month erlier, but this havent changed, either ways... It is just, how much they modified it... Many speak about 400 unified shaders. (no more info than that)

Edited by Orion, 18 November 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#36 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

hrm....

There may have been a mistake made.

Looking at Samsungs Ram guide, and for k4w4g1646b hc12... It looks like several mistakes may have been made. Reading the line above or maybe below the correct ram row. Not that I can blame anybody, the layout is like sticking daggers in your eyes.

http://www.samsung.c...PSG_1H_2012.pdf

Anyone else want to dig through this with me my eyes willthank you. What we are looking for starts on the bottom of page 9, and the information of the serial number is broken down on the table and matrix on pages 10 and on.

For example

K=memory
4=DRAM

(These two are freebies, nothing else to choose from)

W= SDDR3 SDRAM

4G is for density, = 4G, 8K/64ms THis is a little... strange, as Nintendo is only using 2Gb, not 4, but chose the 4Gb product and only used half. They must have liked what other differences the type had in relation to its 2Gb counterparts.

16= bit orginization 16x. there are 8 chips of 256Mb, 8x16=128

4= number of internal banks, there are 8 banks (second highest option)

6= interface SSTL-15 1.5V, 1.5V

b= 3rd generation
I would do it all in one go, but I have a fussy kid who is making this very hard right now, so ill be back to see whats been done.

H= FBGA (Lead-free & Halogen-free) Um... Yay....

C= Temp and power Commercial, Normal (0’C – 95’C) & Normal Power

12= Speed (wakey time, this means something to you, lol) 12: 1.25ns (800MHz)

Edited by 3Dude, 18 November 2012 - 08:58 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#37 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

here was the wiiu teardown http://www.twitch.tv/pcper/b/341042388 I feel they might be a couple mistake they made with the ram I could be wrong but I don't think they found a complete match.

#38 BananaCheese

BananaCheese

Darknut Dominator

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • NNID:Awesomesocks
  • Fandom:
    Zelda and Animal Crossing

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I don't really care about RAM.

I agree.

Nintendo_Logo-600x200.png 

Nintendo Network ID: Awesomesocks | Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032-1712-2862

PM me if you add me on any of the above.

#39 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

here was the wiiu teardown http://www.twitch.tv/pcper/b/341042388 I feel they might be a couple mistake they made with the ram I could be wrong but I don't think they found a complete match.

They didnt, but their number was correct. Iw as talking about the beyond3d/gaf guys. I found the complete match, and matched it with the data table matrix provided by samsung, in my post above.

For example, I believe they mussed their bit orginization, they had 16x, but they accidentally had 16x4, instead of 8, which would give very narrow 64 bit, as opposed to a 128 bits.

Playing the Nintendo multiples game with the information I got from the ram, Im going to go with the good old Nintendo 3, and guess the cpu is 3x800Mhz (ram speed) landing us at 2.4Ghz for the cpu.

Edited by 3Dude, 18 November 2012 - 09:03 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#40 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

They didnt, but their number was correct. Iw as talking about the beyond3d/gaf guys. I found the complete match, and matched it with the data table matrix provided by samsung, in my post above.

For example, I believe they mussed their bit orginization, they had 16x, but they accidentally had 16x4, instead of 8, which would give very narrow 64 bit, as opposed to a 128 bits.

Playing the Nintendo multiples game with the information I got from the ram, Im going to go with the good old Nintendo 3, and guess the cpu is 3x800Mhz (ram speed) landing us at 2.4Ghz for the cpu.

Ok Well hopefully we can figure out the entire puzzle I recently closed the tab on the Neogaf CPU thread because It was giving me headaches but I have the Wiiu Final Spec thread open to see if anything else is found out .

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 18 November 2012 - 09:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!