#1 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Release date(s): March 19(US) March 21(UK/AUS)

Here is a lot more info and footage of Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Wii U

Videos

Gamespot: Need for Speed: Most Wanted Brings a Helping Hand to the Wii U

Eurogamer: Need for Speed: Most Wanted Wii U Gameplay Capture

Gamesradar: Need for Speed: Most Wanted Wii U Demo

IGN: Need for Speed: Most Wanted - Wii U Developer Commentary

Screenshots Via Eurogamer

Spoiler

If you don't want to see the videos, or you can't. Here are some Articles with the same information as the videos.

Eurogamer: Wii U's Most Wanted: Criterion returns to Nintendo hardware with enhanced Need for Speed

"The difference with Wii U was that when we first started out, getting the graphics and GPU to run at an acceptable frame-rate was a real struggle. The hardware was always there, it was always capable. Nintendo gave us a lot of support - support which helps people who are doing cross-platform development actually get the GPU running to the kind of rate we've got it at now. We benefited by not quite being there for launch - we got a lot of that support that wasn't there at day one... the tools, everything.

There's a switch in our build pipeline that says 'use PC textures' and we flipped that and that was all. I can take no credit for that, it was literally ten minutes' work... we are using PS3/360 geometry. It's just the textures we upgraded.

Tools and software were the biggest challenges by a long way... the fallout of that has always been the biggest challenge here. [Wii U] is a good piece of hardware, it punches above its weight. For the power consumption it delivers in terms of raw wattage it's pretty incredible. Getting to that though, actually being able to use the tools from Nintendo to leverage that, was easily the hardest part.

When they first looked at the specs on paper a lot of developers said, 'Well, you know this is a bit lightweight' and they walked away. I think a lot of people have been premature about it in a lot of ways because while it is a lower clock-speed, it punches above its weight in a lot of other areas," he explains.

So, I think you've got one group of people who walked away, you've got some other people who just dived in and tried and thought, 'Ah... it's not kind of there,' but not many people have done what we've done, which is to sit down and look at where it's weaker and why, but also see where it's stronger and leverage that. It's a different kind of chip and it's not fair to look at its clock-speed and other consoles' clock-speed and compare them as numbers that are relevant. It's not a relevant comparison to make when you have processors that are so divergent. It's apples and oranges.

The Wii U has had a bit of a bad rap - people have said it's not as powerful as 360, this, that and the other. That, by and large, has been based on apples to oranges comparisons that don't really hold water. Hopefully we'll go some way to proving that wrong," he says. - Idries Hamadi, technical director

Polygon: Need for Speed Most Wanted on Wii U the 'definitive version' of the title, says Criterion

Ward believes Need for Speed Most Wanted U is the title's definitive version because of play opportunities created by its new features.

"It's not just the best-looking version of the game, we developed it after we had already finished the original game," he said. "It allows you to almost go back in time. Whenever you're finishing a console game, there are always things you want to do that can't get done on time. On Wii U, we were able to take a break, come back to it, understand the hardware and put in all the fixes and additions we wanted to.

"Wii U is best enjoyed with a group of people, and for years Criterion has thought about expanding the experience to more players," he explained. "Wii U helped us solve that problem."

Joystiq: Co-Driving through Need for Speed: Most Wanted for Wii U

Since the tail end of 2011, a core team of engineers at Criterion has been working with the Wii U. The final hardware launched in November, and Criterion started to scratch its collective noggin and figure out how it would work for Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

This meant missing the Wii U launch, but Criterion Games' Alex Ward was fine with that during a preview session last week – if Need for Speed: Most Wanted had been at launch, it would've lacked all online functionality.

"The reason we didn't do the game for launch is because the online side of it wasn't very clear to us," said Ward. "We weren't sure how much we could do online or how it was going to be, because obviously Nintendo were making a lot of changes up until their run-up to launch. So we didn't want to bring the game out at launch on Wii U with no online play.

The extra time was not spent in vain, something that became obvious once Most Wanted was up and running on a television. The Wii U port pulls in the PC assets and immediately sports a much longer draw distance and better frame rate than its console cousins. Having played my fair share of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, the work that went into this Wii U version was clear – and not just in graphical fidelity, either.

"When we got the final hardware in November, we started to look at it, to really experience it, and start to think that just a port isn't going to cut it. Like we'd be embarrassed if we didn't do anything extra; putting something out, any team could do that."

-This is the first Third Party game with Miiverse..
-Online is for 6 players instead of 8. No reason why.
-New name Most Wanted U. Nintendo Direct confirmed new name.
-Ultimate Speed Pack DLC Free

-Based on PC VERSION of game
- took a break after 360 etc. version was done- came back with a small Wii U team- more RAM in the Wii U -> PC textures and assets – lighting and draw distances better
-Criterion read Iwata Asks of shared experiences and philosophy of Wii U
-Miiverse support with Autolog
-God Mode Wii U GamePad (drifting, getting stuck, make it easier in police chases/change from day to night at tap game pad)
-Off TV Play
-Mii support in game (mii appearing on billboards)
(Wii mote/nunchuck/wheel support/pro controller already confirmed months ago)
-Started after break in September 2012 from other versions, due to finish in few weeks with minor fixes

Just wanted to let you guys know not everyone at EA sucks.

Edited by Cerberuz, 15 February 2013 - 08:00 AM.

LordPickleton.png

#2 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

lol I posted the same vid 5 minutes before.

#3 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

lol I posted the same vid 5 minutes before.

Yeah, this time I didn't check to see if someone beat me to it because most of the people here don't care about Racing games, so I assumed no one would have posted this.

LordPickleton.png

#4 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

The games does sound good though. I wonder if they have used the gamepad in some way to manipulate analogue sensitivity for throttle or braking etc. Maybe not as Need for Speed is more of an arcadey racer.

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Finally, a proper port to take better advantage of Wii U hardware and control mechanics. This is definitely on my wishlist.
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Color me quite impressed. It's refreshing to see a developer put forth the effort to demonstrate that the Wii U is clearly more capable than the HD twins. I will reward this effort by picking up the game upon release.
Posted Image

#7 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Looks fantastic, and I love what they've done with the gamepad. I wasn't really interested in this on PC but I may have to pick this up when it comes out in march.

Edited by routerbad, 13 February 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#8 ChrisTerror

ChrisTerror

Blooper

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • NNID:ChrisTerror

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I've played this on Vita and PC, trust me when i say its a gorgeous game and get very intense and fun. Will be buying this again for Wii U.

#9 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

This.

Its a day one buy for me. Im saving up as im typing this. Maybe there is hope for EA after all.

Signature_DK.png

#10 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Its a day one buy for me. Im saving up as im typing this. Maybe there is hope for EA after all.

Same here, I'm ready for it now, and will be buying it day one. Like I said I wasn't particularly interested when I watched the gameplay videos on PS360 or even the PC but this got me hooked.

#11 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Same here, I'm ready for it now, and will be buying it day one. Like I said I wasn't particularly interested when I watched the gameplay videos on PS360 or even the PC but this got me hooked.

Im still glad we are getting the superior console port this time.

Signature_DK.png

#12 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

For those of you who still don't know. The release date is March 19 for US and March 21 for UK.

Edited by Cerberuz, 13 February 2013 - 01:54 PM.

LordPickleton.png

#13 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

With the increase of higher draw distance and PC textures does this not prove Wii U bandwidth dwarfs 360? Framerate looks silky too.

Awaits 3Dude and routerbad....

#14 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Oh man this games gonna be awesome

The GameCube version was one of my favorite games at the time :3

#15 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Interesting he calls the Wii U version the most beautiful version of the game they have produced, assuming he meant console version.

With the increase of higher draw distance and PC textures does this not prove Wii U bandwidth dwarfs 360? Framerate looks silky too.

Awaits 3Dude and routerbad....

It definitely proves that it is in no way whatsoever bandwidth starved, he cites the memory architecture as a prime reason they went with PC assets, textures, etc.

Edited by routerbad, 13 February 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#16 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, StarFox, Kid Icarus, SSB

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Need for Speed: Most Wanted for the Wii U is (like the PC) THE definitive version!!!!! Time for me to fatten up my wallet and buy that game on March 19th!

Edited by uPadWatcher2, 14 February 2013 - 08:35 PM.

Bayonetta2banner102414.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#17 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Looks ok but would need to play it as from the vid it seems no better than Forza tbh.
Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#18 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Ah, forgot to post the information from the Joystiq Article

Co-Driving through Need for Speed: Most Wanted for Wii U

Looks like if this game would have been a launch title it wouldn't have had online multiplayer.

Since the tail end of 2011, a core team of engineers at Criterion has been working with the Wii U. The final hardware launched in November, and Criterion started to scratch its collective noggin and figure out how it would work for Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

This meant missing the Wii U launch, but Criterion Games' Alex Ward was fine with that during a preview session last week – if Need for Speed: Most Wanted had been at launch, it would've lacked all online functionality.

"The reason we didn't do the game for launch is because the online side of it wasn't very clear to us," said Ward. "We weren't sure how much we could do online or how it was going to be, because obviously Nintendo were making a lot of changes up until their run-up to launch. So we didn't want to bring the game out at launch on Wii U with no online play.

The extra time was not spent in vain, something that became obvious once Most Wanted was up and running on a television. The Wii U port pulls in the PC assets and immediately sports a much longer draw distance and better frame rate than its console cousins. Having played my fair share of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, the work that went into this Wii U version was clear – and not just in graphical fidelity, either.

"When we got the final hardware in November, we started to look at it, to really experience it, and start to think that just a port isn't going to cut it. Like we'd be embarrassed if we didn't do anything extra; putting something out, any team could do that."

Edited by Cerberuz, 13 February 2013 - 02:44 PM.

LordPickleton.png

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Looks ok but would need to play it as from the vid it seems no better than Forza tbh.

It is a poor quality video.

If it IS what they say, and based on the pc version, the difference is going to be pretty noticable.

I havent finished watching the vid yet, so well see how much I remember from the pc version makes it into the wii u version.

Lets see... PC version....

Way better draw distance
noticably higher poly assets
WAAAAAAYYY better textures
And more advanced lighting via utilizing the dx11 feature set.

Wow pretty much the full treatment.

Did ea forget to tell criterian they are just supposed to crap on the wii u?

Edited by 3Dude, 13 February 2013 - 02:48 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

he says high end pc, except if he adds lots of sauce...

Edited by Orion, 13 February 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Need for Speed, Most Wanted, Wii U, definitive version

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!