BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Toshihiro Nagoshi is chiefly known as the top creative mind behind Yakuza, a series that arguably does more to keep Sega's name in Japan's limelight than Sonic the Hedgehog at this point. As of a year ago, he's also chief creative officer of Sega, overseeing software development around the world. He's manned the helm through some fairly stormy waters, but his work has sown results. Sega is back to being profitable so far this fiscal year, despite weaker earnings.
"Through all the difficult circumstances we've gone through, we've been able to invest more into our mid and far future while still retaining our identity as Sega," Nagoshi told Famitsu magazine this week. "To be honest, we still need to solidify our footing and our performance as a company, but given the frenetic cycles we deal with nowadays, if we worried solely about that right now, we wouldn't have a stable future in three or five years. I think we'll need to take some new measures to deal with that."
A lot of Sega's success this year has had to do with the launch of Phantasy Star Online 2 in Japan. The latest in one of their best-known franchises, PSO2 surprised many by both adopting a free-to-play scheme and using the PC as its lead platform-something that must have generated a lot of debate within the company.
"If it looks that way from an outside perspective, then you can imagine how it was even more heated within the company," Nagoshi replied. "I think it comes down to the talents of the PSO2 team, and how they convinced the company to go that way. I see possibilities with F2P across the industry; it all depends on what you do with it, but it took this team to show us what we could accomplish with this property. No company is ever unanimous when it makes decisions; there's always doubt over how much you can trust someone who swears to you that they have a vision and they can make it happen. Launching Yakuza may have been a bit like that, but this is a large-scale online game, so the longer you run it, the more money it'll cost us. PSO2 certainly taught Sega how hard it is to establish an online game and run it as a stable business, and I think Sega's gained some major assets through that experience over the past year."
PSO2 has 1.7 million user accounts in Japan alone and is set to launch worldwide on the PC and mobile devices this year. But that's not the end of Sega's overseas strategy, as demonstrated by their purchase of Relic Entertainment last month as part of THQ's bankruptcy proceedings.
"[The purchase] is based around our objective of getting products locally developed by local studios," commented Nagoshi, "but it's also due to the heavy-hitting RTS titles Relic has. Sega already has The Creative Assembly, which is great at making RTS', and so we're becoming one of the best in the world at this genre now. So this purchase was part of our strategy for tackling this genre as well. It's a well-established one, especially overseas, and having this wealth of experience under our belts makes me really look forward to seeing how the chemistry between the two studios works out. If we have the opportunity to make further purchases that emphasize high creativity, I think you'll see us aiming for that."
When asked about what the next generation, Nagoshi sees an even more intense competition than in previous cycles, although it won't come down to hardware speed. "They'll be better-performing systems," he said, "but I think they'll start being closer and closer to each other on the inside. The Wii and Wii U are differentiating themselves on the hardware level, but the other two systems are going to wage an all-out war of services, one that'll involve the entire Sony group and the entire Microsoft group. It'll be a battle to see which group can leverage its scale to best benefit developers and gamers."
As he prepares to join this battle, Nagoshi doesn't seem particularly concerned about rising development costs in the next gen. "It depends on the title, but we don't picture development costs as massively expanding any longer," he said. "As hardware grows more powerful, you can have that hardware cover more of the labor of running the game. There'll always be room for polish, but after a certain point, you're always running into limits in terms of the size of the media. I think pretty much all the AAA titles people know use up nearly all of the media space they're given. In terms of selling price, in terms of the cost of things like multiple disc layers and the tempo of play, I don't see development costs changing massively. They'll be expensive, sure, and that is a concern to me, but even if the hardware gets ten times as powerful, games won't suddenly get ten times costlier to make. I don't think they'd even be twice as costly."
Given that Yakuza spearheads Sega's console lineup in Japan, Nagoshi sees himself as playing a necessary role in keeping console gaming relevant worldwide. It's not a trivial task, given all the headlines social-game outfits are grabbing these days.
"I'd like to ensure that console games don't lose their luster," he declared. "Behind that, I suppose, is the concern that they will, indeed, become a thing of the past if we don't do something. This isn't new, but in a lot of different ways, the 'social' keyword is seeping into all parts of the console business. So part of me sees the console scene as endangered, something we have to act to support. I feel the need to keep that scene active so it doesn't get shunted to the side, and even at this moment, I'm busy thinking of how we'll keep titles like Yakuza going."
When asked about future goals for the company, Nagoshi brought up Sega's traditional image; He describes it as the young upstart that produces wildly out-there titles and doesn't seem too pre-occupied with bottom-line profits. "I want to think about things from ground zero one more time," he said. "That's tough for our younger staff, but it's also fun and exciting. That's what you want the Sega logo to represent: things that seem crazy at first, but really surprise you when they take form. Even if people say 'Oh, now they've done it' at us sometimes, I don't want to do away with the expectations that people have had for us since way back. It wouldn't seem right if Sega acted all firm and conservative, would it? I think I'd like to keep that."

Source

#2 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

TLDR please
No sig.

#3 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

TLDR please

Allow me to summarize for you:

SEGA: PS4/360 successor to be similar, Wii U different on a hardware level

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 27 February 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#4 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

wait so the succesor of the new playstation4 is going to be around the power level of the 360 succesor..wow microsoft must be going all out.

sorry I had to it was to funny to not say

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Allow me to summarize for you:
SEGA: PS4/360 successor to be similar, Wii U different on a hardware level

You gravely misinterpereted that.

The comparison was between wii and wii u.

When asked about what the next generation, Nagoshi sees an even more intense competition than in previous cycles, although it won't come down to hardware speed. "They'll be better-performing systems," he said, "but I think they'll start being closer and closer to each other on the inside. The Wii and Wii U are differentiating themselves on the hardware level, but the other two systems are going to wage an all-out war of services

Wii and wii u was a massive jump in hardware, ps4720 still similar to ps360 in comparison, will instead compete over services.

All three systems much closer than last gen.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

Could simply mean the upad, but we also all know wii u uses an ibm cpu.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

When asked about what the next generation, Nagoshi sees an even more intense competition than in previous cycles, although it won't come down to hardware speed. "They'll be better-performing systems," he said, "but I think they'll start being closer and closer to each other on the inside. The Wii and Wii U are differentiating themselves on the hardware level, but the other two systems are going to wage an all-out war of services
Wii and wii u was a massive jump in hardware, ps4720 still similar to ps360 in comparison, will instead compete over services.

we know the ps4 is in a seperate league when comparing specs, so him saying the 360 and ps4 will do battle it's pretty safe to assume that they are both much more powerful spec wise than wii u is. So I think he got the main point pretty well. Bit who cares that the wii u is less powerful because those two will never have mario or pikmin or Zelda or metroid or starfox or X or bayoneta 2 or donkey kong so....

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#8 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

This.

Don't know anyone can possibly get anything else from the article.

The Wii U is differentiating itself by the hardware (you buy a great product once and keep it as long as you want. Product being the console and product being its games).

Sony and MS are going after services (think subscriptions, fees, etc. that you pay again and again. more ways to take your money as long as you use their services). And seriously... paying to use Gaikai to do badly what you can do excellently on Wii U for free?... laaaame.

MS saved themselves the last console gen with charging for Live. Sony didn't and they tried (and horribly failed) to compete against that model while not generating that type of revenue. It was bad news for them and they are trying to make up for lost revenue opportunities this gen. Watch out consumer!

Nintendo simply didn't compete at all with the Wii.

Now they are with Wii U. But they have thought it through from the customers perspective. Not from the money vampire perspective. So that found a way to allow you to have all of these services without redundant fees.

Sony is simply copying the Microsoft "levels of service" model from the 360.

Kind of shocked by the stupidity of a service like Gaikai though. Kind of arrogant to waste internet bandwidth by doing stupid things with streaming video and i/o data back and forth from vita to ps4. Can't wait to hear the complaints on that one. Hopefully, Gaikai can be put to better use before too long. Kinda seemed like an investment no one cares about beyond Cerny and his buddy and the Ps fans who want to be able to say "PS4 can do that too!" even though they'll probably never use it.

Meanwhile, the Wii U laughs and does it all locally on the hardware. No internet. No lag. No crazy variables. Just reliable fun. And it doesn't cost extra.

PS4 services sound like a mess.

MS is going to have some pretty well thought out, streamlined services that are similar, but better put together. Still, the philosophy behind it will be to force gamers to keep paying for what they get used to using.

Really sad. Really bad.

Great for Ms and Sony. More money!

Bad for you and I. Less money in my pocket. Less games I can buy. Less enjoyment. And the workarounds they use to get around simply including certain functionality creates and inferior end user experience. At least so far. But fundamentally, that will be the case going forward.

What's next? A 720 Kinect sensor that has a coin slot and timer to keep it going? Uh oh... I am going to keep quiet now... don't want to give MS any ideas...

LOL

we know the ps4 is in a seperate league when comparing specs, so him saying the 360 and ps4 will do battle it's pretty safe to assume that they are both much more powerful spec wise than wii u is. So I think he got the main point pretty well. Bit who cares that the wii u is less powerful because those two will never have mario or pikmin or Zelda or metroid or starfox or X or bayoneta 2 or donkey kong so....

Except that isn't what he was saying at all.

This is the point:

Nintendo focused on hardware that was specifically designed to being a next gen gaming experience in a particular way.

MS and Sony didn't focus so much on honing that new experience (thought the hardware is spec'd somewhat higher) as they will be focusing their war on the services front.

While Nintendo fine tuned its hardware, MS and Sony will be using some less custom hardware, but instead focus on how many ways they can come up with to keep the people who bought their consoles paying them money over and over again on "services."

Wii U, PS4, and 720 will be closely competitive with each other.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 27 February 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#9 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

this is the way i understood it, all systems will be in similar power range, unlike this gen where there was a huge gap. the ps4 and xbox will be competing in online features and WiiU will have its technical innovations (game pad and Wii motes).

#10 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

this is the way i understood it, all systems will be in similar power range, unlike this gen where there was a huge gap. the ps4 and xbox will be competing in online features and WiiU will have its technical innovations (game pad and Wii motes).

Exactly, sega isn't referring to specs.

They are referring to Nintendo's focus on gameplay experience versus the other two companies' focus on finding ways to charge you money more often.

#11 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

he was talking about the 360 successor aka the 720. they have similar if not identical CPU's. only real difference it the cores used for extra stuff and the operating system. the difference is what they come with and the GPU. which is also similar between both consuls. they are a little bit more powerful, seen things that place the wiiU CPU on par(if not higher, it was assumed 3 overclocked chips ducktaped together minimum) with 720/PS4 CPU. they do have better GPU's raw power wise. wiiU played a wildcard so its still reletivily unknown.

but ninty will definitly get the most good exclusives.

#12 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Well I think it's awesome that Nintendo stray from the path, things would be boring if they were all the same.

#13 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

he was talking about the 360 successor aka the 720. they have similar if not identical CPU's. only real difference it the cores used for extra stuff and the operating system. the difference is what they come with and the GPU. which is also similar between both consuls. they are a little bit more powerful, seen things that place the wiiU CPU on par(if not higher, it was assumed 3 overclocked chips ducktaped together minimum) with 720/PS4 CPU. they do have better GPU's raw power wise. wiiU played a wildcard so its still reletivily unknown.
but ninty will definitly get the most good exclusives.i meant 720, just a little mistake.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#14 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

ehh, halo, that should be about it.

#15 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Microsoft is rumored to be creating an interesting New I.P.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

but ninty will definitly get the most good exclusives.

Jaguars are so completely different than the stripped down and nuetered g5's the 360 used.

For starters ones ppc and the others x86.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Jaguars are so completely different than the stripped down and nuetered g5's the 360 used.

And Jaguar was made to be included in tablets and netbooks, and other ULPC use cases.

#18 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

i ment between ps4 and 720

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

i ment between ps4 and 720

Ah, indeed.

Yes, both are the same laptop grade cpu's... cant even remotely hope to compete with even an i5... the 720's jaguars in particular are looking rather unremarkable.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Sony PS4 Won’t Be Backwards Compatible, PS Cloud Service Might Solve That Problem

http://www.inquisitr...e-that-problem/

nope ps cloud doesn't Solve

PS4 should Backwards Compatible for ps3 games playable disc

going loads of people  who brought ps3 console and spent fortune on ps3 games, now going have keep their ps3 console and spend €600 on the ps4 noway sony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!