routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Fair enough but then the argument wasn't very clear. That said game consoles still haven't caught up with high end PC's when it comes to graphical fidelity. Graphics as a whole may not need further improvement but I still think that consoles need to catch up to the best PC's can do. Obviously improving graphics can cost money and increase development costs and there is a point where better graphics don't add to a game. Certainly improvement in game design and mechanics as well as quality story telling and clean presentation are all far more important bit it doesn't mean graphics can't be the best they can be either.

Agreed.

#42 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

There is gaming triforce, but that triforce composed of gameplay, story and presentation. You must nail 2 out of 3 to have great game.

For game that have exelent gameplay, but ended up being crapy, i dont know. Maybe Ghost Recon future soldier, that game have exelent gameplay, but lacs story and presentation. AC3 also have good gameplay, but story and presentation are not good.

But AC3 has really linear gameplay, thats not fun at all.

Signature_Fox.png

#43 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

But AC3 has really linear gameplay, thats not fun at all.

AC3 has good gameplay mechanics.  The story is very linear but you can explore to your hearts content in between missions.  That said it is a very boring game.

#44 Peladex

Peladex

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda Wind Waker

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

IMO, graphics are the less important aspect of a game.

video-fox-135440.jpg

#45 currysonic

currysonic

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

I think its about what the developer would like to do that is important. Perhaps their goal is to have something very visually stunning/unique art style for the player that they need to tools and hardware to do it, like Journey or Battlefield 3. 

Hardware gives developers options or tools in which they can selectively choose what experiences they want to give to the player. I guess what I am trying to say is, gaming has grown too complex and varied for this simple age-old-question to be accurate. I suppose its still great to asking yourself what values in a video game do you think is worth more.

The styles in games has grown far too varied (partly because of all the options and tools developers can play with now) for this question to accurate when addressed to games as a whole.

I suppose a better question is: "How much do you value graphics in modern gaming?".

Edit: I just finished watching the video. I now realize what I wrote isnt 100% in line with the real question asked... my bad lol

Edited by currysonic, 23 March 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#46 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

I think its about what the developer would like to do that is important. Perhaps their goal is to have something very visually stunning/unique art style for the player that they need to tools and hardware to do it, like Journey or Battlefield 3. 

Hardware gives developers options or tools in which they can selectively choose what experiences they want to give to the player. I guess what I am trying to say is, gaming has grown too complex and varied for this simple age-old-question to be accurate. I suppose its still great to asking yourself what values in a video game do you think is worth more.

The styles in games has grown far too varied (partly because of all the options and tools developers can play with now) for this question to accurate when addressed to games as a whole.

I suppose a better question is: "How much do you value graphics in modern gaming?".

Edit: I just finished watching the video. I now realize what I wrote isnt 100% in line with the real question asked... my bad lol

I don't think the hardware is the limiting factor anymore, but the developers creativity is.  The hardware is there in all of the next generation platforms to give developers plenty of room to express themselves.

#47 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

n64 was best console system around its time

and gamecube has better then graphics compare ps2 and xbox

#48 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

Let's just say I'm just as happy with my £90 GPU than a £1000 Titan. Not only am I smug because it outpowers the PS4, and that makes me smug. But it's all about the game and how it plays, if it's an action game, what makes it stand out in it's unique story and it's gameplay mechanics, if it's a stealth, what makes it stand out from Metal Gear Solid as far as story and mechanics? What makes them fun and unique to play.

Yes something to marvel at or having visuals that aid immersion, especially in Survival Horror (for me SH games are 40% audio presentation, 40% visuals level, character and enemy design, 10% story, and 10 gameplay.  For example the old Resident Evil and Silent Hill games have proved that really bog standard gameplay mechanics can work - even work to the advantage of keeping the player on their toes, and don't require too many unique things in the art of making a scary game. In fact you can notice as gameplay mechanics have improved by the time they added online-co-op it ruined the horror experience.

However really amazing games though provide all of them in droves, they have amazing gameplay, amazing visual and audio flare and a gripping story that makes you think. But the hardware is only half of what is needed for visual flare, the other half is the developer's imagination and ability to optimise and prioritise for that system, weighing framerate, draw distance, load times and frequency over graphical detail effects etc.

Edited by Penguin101, 22 April 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#49 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:27 AM

resident evil 4 GameCube according gamestm the graphics of resident 4 was compressed to suit the xbox and ps2, resident evil 4 was too powerful for xbox and ps2 so capcom compression it to suit the xbox and ps2

Edited by Smertrius, 22 April 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#50 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

I think atmosphere is a very important element of a game, and great graphics help to enhance that. No, I'm not a graphics whore and I won't refuse to play a game without good graphics, and they don't even have to be cutting edge.... they just need to fit the game.

For example, Kirby's Epic Yarn. The graphics are where most of the game's charm comes from. This is an example of a game that has simple yet good graphics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!