Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

What do you think? Is he right? 

#2 Hellsing

Hellsing

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

Spot on. Definitely agree with what he says.

#3 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

I don't think he 100% nailed it, but he made some pretty good points that I do agree with.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#4 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

I think good visuals can define a game. However people should stop getting art style and graphical enhancements mixed up. Non realistic art styles are just as awesome and just as valid to realistic art styles and depending on gameplay and story elements you have to choose wisely as a developer. 

However if the  frame rate is choppy (I don't care about 60 or 30fps, so long as it's smooth), jaggies or you get crappy draw distance (the worst offender) in a 3D game it really can take away from the immersion and willingness to suspend my disbelief.  I don't really think resolution matters until 4k TVs come out then again I'm not sure what 720p looks like on a 4k TV.

However in general I agree with the video :)

Edited by Penguin101, 07 March 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#5 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

He does a good job of articulating the graphics don't matter argument. It may actually change some minds. I stress, SOME minds.

#6 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

If someone only cares about graphics than they are not true gamers. A true gamer only plays a system if the games are good. Now that's hardcore.

Signature_DK.png

#7 Dukie

Dukie

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

If someone only cares about graphics than they are not true gamers. A true gamer only plays a system if the games are good. Now that's hardcore.

No it's not... that's just common knowledge. 

#8 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

No it's not... that's just common knowledge. 

I'm just saying if someone thinks a game is fun but refuses to play it due to the graphics then they need to rethink. Some of the funnest games ever are old or have retro graphics I.E. Minecraft or SMB3. And before you say Minecraft should be HD you must realize one of the things that make it cool is the retro look. Graphic hounds just don't know how to appreciate a game for what it's worth.

Signature_DK.png

#9 Kao

Kao

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Ernitis
  • Fandom:
    Kao the Kangaroo

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'm just saying if someone thinks a game is fun but refuses to play it due to the graphics then they need to rethink. Some of the funnest games ever are old or have retro graphics I.E. Minecraft or SMB3. And before you say Minecraft should be HD you must realize one of the things that make it cool is the retro look. Graphic hounds just don't know how to appreciate a game for what it's worth.

Plus I belive theybuy For example, Calll of Duty, because it's "cool", and not because of the game itself

Hello! My name is Kao and I am a Kangaroo! If you can see my kicking picture there, you can see me riding one of mine friends! I am quite popular in the area because I saved alot of animals turning in to women accsesories. It was quite painfull on the way, but I liked the experience! I plan on buying a plane with all my money I got and going on an adventure on the isles. My first adventure was when that Mcguffin Hunter cought me, but I escaped, and I don't want to let any animal in pain! What's your story, mate?

-Kao the kangaroo

#10 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Imo they dont matter if the game play is crap.
mario kart improves on graphic each time but its still the same game play amd thats why people buy it. Same thing with pokemon.

So to me its more about game play then how it looks.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#11 ArmedPrimate

ArmedPrimate

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • NNID:BringerOfBooze
  • Fandom:
    Cloud (FFVII), Master Chief (Halo)

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Plus I belive theybuy For example, Calll of Duty, because it's "cool", and not because of the game itself

The most fun I had involving a Call of Duty title was Call of Duty 4 and a little bit of Modern Warfare 2. CoD 4 was a fresh idea and as CoD stands now, I feel it's degraded. The video is right, there is a lack of original ideas, I remember playing the beta to Crysis 3 and thinking to myself that it feels exactly the same as 2 except they've added a crossbow, there might be a graphical improvement, I didn't see it though. However playing the Wii U and ZombiU I felt engaged because of the use of the Gamepad, at one point I even plugged in a set of headphones and put one in my ear like an earwig and felt like the guy was talking to me on the radio while I tried to survive.

#12 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

The most fun I had involving a Call of Duty title was Call of Duty 4 and a little bit of Modern Warfare 2. CoD 4 was a fresh idea and as CoD stands now, I feel it's degraded. The video is right, there is a lack of original ideas, I remember playing the beta to Crysis 3 and thinking to myself that it feels exactly the same as 2 except they've added a crossbow, there might be a graphical improvement, I didn't see it though. However playing the Wii U and ZombiU I felt engaged because of the use of the Gamepad, at one point I even plugged in a set of headphones and put one in my ear like an earwig and felt like the guy was talking to me on the radio while I tried to survive.

I play with headphones as well, and it really does improve the experience.  Playing in the dark with headphones on was a creapy experience.  It had that Resident Evil 1 atmosphere going on the whole time. 

#13 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Simple answer: nope.

#14 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

That guy has great videos.

Man Dough!

#15 Trash Waifu

Trash Waifu

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Of course graphics matter. You're only deluding yourself if you think they don't. Good visuals dramatically change the entire game. It's not more important than gameplay, but graphics are a vital part of every game.

#16 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Of course graphics matter. You're only deluding yourself if you think they don't. Good visuals dramatically change the entire game. It's not more important than gameplay, but graphics are a vital part of every game.

+1.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#17 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

I wouldn't go that far.  Visuals definitely enhance the immersion, and thereby the experience.  They don't dramatically change the entire game.  We only had one chance to make the 2d - 3d jump.  Once that's done all we can do is expand how much is shown and how visually appealing the details are.  They can't really "change the game" at this point.  Art direction, an extension of visuals not tied directly to graphical performance, can change the tone of a game completely, though.

The problem is that we are at a point where showing more detail isn't enough for companies to keep selling the same games with minor iterative graphical enhancements.  They need to go back to creating a variety of experiences.  I hope this generation the FPS starts to die off as the top genre, as open world exploration games like LOZ, or X, Final Fantasy, etc could be more pleasing both visually and from a gameplay perspective.  It's gotten way too easy for people to call themselves "hardcore gamers" considering the games they primarily play don't require any real skill other than for multiplayer, which we don't need 100 of.

#18 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Graphics are impressve, indeed. But come on, they're not that "vital" part you're talking about. Really. You certainly know these games that have impressive graphics but nothing more? An example of that is CoD in my opinion *IN MY OPINION*. But you see my point, right?

Posted Image

#19 PS3WIIIUfan

PS3WIIIUfan

Blooper

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Silent Hill,Socom,Mario,Zelda,GT

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

its about the gameplay always! Graphics are out dated

Ps3 Ultra Slim 1tb
Ps Vita
Wii U 32gb/Zombiu/Black Ops 2
Nintendo Network ID:S.K_Kulczycky2k
Posted Image

#20 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Graphics all though mighty impressive when done well do not make the games fun, they just make them more attractive, I bet you if skyrim was released with last gen graphics it would have still sold in huge amounts.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!