Photo

is it true the wii u will be destroyed by ps4?

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

No.  It isn't that much more powerful first of all.  Second, we are in diminishing returns territory and any gains in power aren't going to translate directly into more detailed graphical performance in game.  Third, PS4 will have much more going on in the background than the Wii U, so much of the extra RAM and compute power will be reserved for those tasks.  Fourth, we don't exactly know the raw power potential of the Wii U, we can suppose things based on what we know about the GPU and CPU dies, but those numbers don't make any sense when we see trailers like X, which is a pre-alpha trailer that shows a massive amount of detail in an open world that would require more power than what many believe the Wii U to possess.

They will be graphically on par with each other.  Later in the generation, When the hardware is fully understood on both consoles, developers will most likely be able to eke out better LOD or higher poly counts but they won't be visually discernable details from a gameplay perspective.  The Wii U is much more powerful than both the PS3 and the Xbox 360, that much has already been shown.  The ports that came with the launch were developed toward weaker target hardware and most developers received dev kits very late (last 6 months) because the hardware wasn't finalized until shortly before launched.

Everyone seems to be praising X, but to me it didn't seem that impressive. It looks good, but amazing? Nope. Yes I know it's in early stages but no, far from impressive. Killzone looks better than anything I've seen on Wii U to the moment, except for the Zelda demo but that was a demo in 2011, maybe hardware has changed and it can't run it anymore (which I fear, but it's not likely). The PS4 is obviously more powerful, but I don't think that's the Wii U's problem. The reason you want to buy a console is for its games anyway, and currently, there aren't many for the Wii U. But this will change after E3. I mean, hell, a new Smash Bros, 3D Mario and Mario Kart in glorious HD? I'm gonna have to work my ass off for that, but I NEED it.

No sig.

#22 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

Not all of us on here are fans, i didn't get on with the normal Wii,and so used 360/PS3 but as above the WiiU looked intresting so i bought one and am very happy with the console and tbh the amount of games so far. Yes i guess i will buy a PS4 when its launched but by then i should own a decent range of games on the WiiU and will be playing online for free.

and neather of you understood who i was talking about. i ment the ps3/360 blind bashing fanboys.  there is alot of them, and they've been losing ground constantly in their arguments since the consuls release.

#23 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

and neather of you understood who i was talking about. i ment the ps3/360 blind bashing fanboys.  there is alot of them, and they've been losing ground constantly in their arguments since the consuls release.

Got ya, agree fully chap.

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#24 emmonsh

emmonsh

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

not really.  the jump between the ps2 nd xbox was from sd to hd. that was a huge jump. ps4 will be more powerful in that multitasking capabilities. game wise there will be a small increase but not much.  hd is hd

Yep, thats pretty accurate, but since the orignal Xbox was about 4-5 times more powerful than the PS2, you can expect that type of difference between the two consoles.  Nintendo will compete the way they always have, with quality content.  The Wii was 20 times less powerful than the 360 and didnt have modern shader support.  If Nintendo had went with traditional shader support with the Wii you would have saw a lot more games using effects seen in the Mario Galaxy games. 

#25 Insanity_Boi

Insanity_Boi

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda Mario Metroid Mario Kart

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

not really. the jump between the ps2 nd xbox was from sd to hd. that was a huge jump. ps4 will be more powerful in that multitasking capabilities. game wise there will be a small increase but not much. hd is hd

The Xbox wasn't hd

#26 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Everyone seems to be praising X, but to me it didn't seem that impressive. It looks good, but amazing? Nope. Yes I know it's in early stages but no, far from impressive. Killzone looks better than anything I've seen on Wii U to the moment, except for the Zelda demo but that was a demo in 2011, maybe hardware has changed and it can't run it anymore (which I fear, but it's not likely). The PS4 is obviously more powerful, but I don't think that's the Wii U's problem. The reason you want to buy a console is for its games anyway, and currently, there aren't many for the Wii U. But this will change after E3. I mean, hell, a new Smash Bros, 3D Mario and Mario Kart in glorious HD? I'm gonna have to work my ass off for that, but I NEED it.

Yeah, X and Killzone both look impressive.  Then you have to remember that the really impressive bits of Killzone were all cutscene and X was all gameplay.  It isn't my problem if you weren't impressed by the technically more demanding demo.

Zelda looked impressive, but impressive for 2011, not 2013.  X even in it's current state blows it away based on a number of factors.  The Zelda demo was simply there to show off the lighting capabilities of the platform, and was using really early prototype hardware.

#27 ArmedPrimate

ArmedPrimate

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • NNID:BringerOfBooze
  • Fandom:
    Cloud (FFVII), Master Chief (Halo)

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Not all of us on here are fans, i didn't get on with the normal Wii,and so used 360/PS3 but as above the WiiU looked intresting so i bought one and am very happy with the console and tbh the amount of games so far. Yes i guess i will buy a PS4 when its launched but by then i should own a decent range of games on the WiiU and will be playing online for free.

Exactly, I felt the Wii was a joke, but the Wii U has some serious specs behind it and its 1080p so I picked it up, very pleased so far....game selection needs more though

#28 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I still might pick up a PS4 as well, I love Sony exclusive IP's.  I need to see the price, though, I'm scared it will be more than I think it will and it may mean waiting a year or two to pick it up.

#29 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

waiting for watchdogs and AC4. see how those games compare on each consul AC4 and watchdogs went to wiiU early enough, i expect mostly lower res textures and possibly less polygons to be the biggest differences, then a few things you actually have to try and look for.   like in KZ4, the only things that looked impressive were the things set up spacificly to look impressive(which is rarly legit with sony =/), but the actual gameplay on KZ4 looked like something id expect wiiU to do but with a drop to 720p, and somewhat worse textures.

#30 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

waiting for watchdogs and AC4. see how those games compare on each consul AC4 and watchdogs went to wiiU early enough, i expect mostly lower res textures and possibly less polygons to be the biggest differences, then a few things you actually have to try and look for.   like in KZ4, the only things that looked impressive were the things set up spacificly to look impressive(which is rarly legit with sony =/), but the actual gameplay on KZ4 looked like something id expect wiiU to do but with a drop to 720p, and somewhat worse textures.

What are you basing the speculation on?  

The textures, characters, etc from the gameplay portions of the killzone demo are perfectly doable on the Wii U at 1080p with 60 fps I would think.  There isn't exaclty that much going on graphically.  The cutscene portion I'm not worried about either, we've already seen similar LOD with very crisp textures and particle effects on the Wii U.  I don't understand why everyone is doing this "well it will do it, but not at 1080p" thing.  They built the console to play games at 1080p, the only exception being when a second gamepad is connected to the system.  It is actually really interesting to see that since we know they'll both be able to produce similar visuals some people are reduced to talking about resolution and framerate because there isn't that much else to differentiate the two with regard to graphics.  Why no one talks about the controller, gameplay, brilliant developers, etc as Nintendo's ace up their sleeve is beyond me.  Those are the things that differentiate it from the PS4.  Likewise, the PS4 has different exclusives, a more developed network (which is better is in the eye of the beholder) the streaming service from gaikai, etc.

There will be a sales winner, but I think that all three will be successful in their own right.

#31 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

What are you basing the speculation on?  

The textures, characters, etc from the gameplay portions of the killzone demo are perfectly doable on the Wii U at 1080p with 60 fps I would think.  There isn't exaclty that much going on graphically.  The cutscene portion I'm not worried about either, we've already seen similar LOD with very crisp textures and particle effects on the Wii U.  I don't understand why everyone is doing this "well it will do it, but not at 1080p" thing.  They built the console to play games at 1080p, the only exception being when a second gamepad is connected to the system.  It is actually really interesting to see that since we know they'll both be able to produce similar visuals some people are reduced to talking about resolution and framerate because there isn't that much else to differentiate the two with regard to graphics.  Why no one talks about the controller, gameplay, brilliant developers, etc as Nintendo's ace up their sleeve is beyond me.  Those are the things that differentiate it from the PS4.  Likewise, the PS4 has different exclusives, a more developed network (which is better is in the eye of the beholder) the streaming service from gaikai, etc.

There will be a sales winner, but I think that all three will be successful in their own right.

i can beleave 1080p ruffly 2-3 years into its life time. ive seen enough to to run KZ, the 1080p and 60fps is questinable but may be possible. i see the wiiU at ruffly 600-700 TF and running closer to its max than PS4 and xbox720. 

1080p will be very beleavable if the effects used to make it look good is simply effect pretending to be complex ones.

#32 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

i can beleave 1080p ruffly 2-3 years into its life time. ive seen enough to to run KZ, the 1080p and 60fps is questinable but may be possible. i see the wiiU at ruffly 600-700 TF and running closer to its max than PS4 and xbox720. 

1080p will be very beleavable if the effects used to make it look good is simply effect pretending to be complex ones.

That number is just about meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  No one will probably ever know the raw flops potential of the Wii U (and if they do they're probably limited by NDA) but even given a power difference the actual difference in a game is going to be so minuscule that we'd never really notice it.  Also, 1080p isn't exactly a dense resolution to display.  I don't think they'd have any problem doing the exact same scene on a Wii U today, and even better down the road.

The PS3 and 360 are able to pull off similar scenes just with lower poly counts and muddier textures, which extra RAM and a fast memory subsystem would help to improve.

The PS4 is obviously still more powerful GPU-wise as far as we know, and has more RAM- though we don't know how much developers will have access to.  They will be able to do things toward the end of the gen that the Wii U can't exactly match for sure.  Right now, however, things will be looking largely similar for similar titles.

#33 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Not saying it will be the case, but its likely the Wii U and PS4 versions of Watch Dogs will look exactly the same.  Polygon count, texture detail, etc. And there is zero reason for them not to.

The main difference will probably be the usage of the large Upad touchscreen versus the tiny touch square on the ds4.

#34 unleashedknight

unleashedknight

Bob-omb

• Banned
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Nah.

#35 Omarsonic9

Omarsonic9

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

We don't know so far.....

But the PS4 will have better graphics. However, don't expect the PS4 menu to be as beautiful as the white, amazing WaraWara Plaza :D

Nothing can beat the warawara plaza!

For me, I wont buy a ps4. I have my ps3 and wii u :D

sig.gif

#36 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Not saying it will be the case, but its likely the Wii U and PS4 versions of Watch Dogs will look exactly the same.  Polygon count, texture detail, etc. And there is zero reason for them not to.

The main difference will probably be the usage of the large Upad touchscreen versus the tiny touch square on the ds4.

Correct me if im wrong but i thought it was confirmed that the Wii U port is based around on the PS3/360 version?

#37 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

lol thats pretty funny actually. These are called first-gen little haters.
Posted Image

#38 currysonic

currysonic

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

I think it might be true.... Now hear me out.

The PS4 and Xbox720 (Or whatever they're calling these now), are most likely going to be fairly expensive at ~$600. Like the Wii before it we will probably see the Wii U selling ok within the first few years (actually Wii really took off in year 3). However! As we get into the 5th-6th year of the product life cycle we will may see the Wii U being far outvalued by its two competitors due to natural price drops in electronics.

I base this on this generation (Wii,ps3,xbox360), because we are seeing the same low powered consol vs expensive high powered ones.

But here is what is different! The potential for Service is different.

Wii had, and still has, a very low amount of options for NIntendo to bring new services for its customers. While xbox 360, and PS3 could be easily updated with new services that made the consols flexible to new consumer trends, such as social media or online downloads.

In conclusion, I think who ever brings out the best Service these next 3-4 years will see the best sales. The company that will win in the long run will be the one whose hardware restricts least on the services the company wants to bring to their consumers.

I look forward to how Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo updates their services over time to suit consumers.

#39 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

My only concern for Wii U is Memory situation. i dont care how good the hierarchy is the ps4 is probably gonna have about 4GB of GDDR5 for games. no way the Wii U makes that up with it's 1GB DDR3, EDRAM, and SRAM. the 720 is looking (according to rumors) to have about 4GB of DDR3 for games. even if nintendo optimize the OS and give developers total 1.5GB for games its still left in the dust by the others. so it might not be in the begginning but 3 years or so down the line the Wii U could be left out in the cold looking in. now 1st and 2nd party games will look amazing but 3rd party devs are gonna try and push the other consoles and use that 4GB thats when Wii U will be in trouble.

#40 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

Nintendo will announce their new console in the half way of ps4 and 720.... Nintendo has 5 years lifespan and sony/ms 8.

KZ4 is nothing special for wii U... it can easily do that... lets wait in 3 years from now.... then wii U may struggle a bit. But hey... then the wii U 2 will be announced.. lol

I dont like that.. I preffer to have a console for a decade. Its an investment for me.

So lets say... wii U 2, will be slightly more powerful than ps4 when it get released (some better features)... and take a notice... wii U 2 will die 1-2 year after ps4 and 720... so nintendo may surprise us with a wii U 3 vs ps5 and 1440.. lol  So yes.. nintendo is in a better spot.  Except, if wii U is proved much more powerful that we want to believe and nintendo extends its lifespan.  But I think.... wii U is a safe step up.. wii U 2, MUST BE a bit more powerful when it get released!!! Thats how it will gain a huge fan base.

Right now we speak about ps4 and 720... but these machines are not out yet!!! Their life cycle havnt started yet!!.... wii U will be 1+ year old!  So if you calculate the nintendo hardware lifespan.... versus the microsoft or sony...... Nintendo is indeed in a better spot.

So maybe nintendo invested lots to the wii U gamepad this time... It cost them xxxx money and when wii U 2 get released, it will cost them xx money (same tech)... So they will have extra air for some biffy specs.

Edited by Plutonas, 09 March 2013 - 02:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!