• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Jason777123

Jason777123

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

I know another one of THESE topics, but I feel as though there is a very important factor everybody seems to be missing. It's THE biggest factor in why the Wii seemed so under powered, the resolution. The Wii only supported 480p and the PS3 supported 1080p. THIS was the MAIN reason the PS3/360 were such a big jump in comparison to the Wii. Don't believe me, just play a Wii game on an emulator. Some games, like Super Mario Galaxy, are much more easily comparable to PS3/360 when they are running in true 1080p.

It amazes me that everybody seems to be forgetting this huge factor. Even though the PS4/720's graphics are going to be better than the Wii U's, it won't matter nearly as much, simply because of the resolution. Both the PS4 and Wii U are mainly supporting 1080p (supposedly the PS4 could do a slightly higher resolution, but I doubt it will ever be used). This makes the difference way less noticeable. Slightly higher poly models and more dynamic lighting effects are going to matter very little when the resolution is identical.

Another thing is the Wii U's textures. Need for Speed Most Wanted U is going to support PC's textures. That means there is going to be very little if any difference between Wii U and PS4 texture-wise. This means even smaller of a difference between Wii U and PS4. Will lower poly models really be noticeable if the texture quality is the same? How about slightly more advanced lighting effects or even slightly bigger draw distances? 

In the end, when both systems are side by side and both are running in 1080p with their best looking games, you're going to have to squint to see the graphical differences this time around. Where as with Wii to PS3/360, the resolution made it much easier to notice the graphical difference, the fact that the Wii U has good texture quality and runs in 1080p is going to make it 10x harder to tell the difference.

#2 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Nicholas_Cage_Rageface.png?9d7bd4

#3 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Only Wii U will not achieve native 1080p in most games, 720p will be Wii U's standard resolution.

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Resolution wasnt the half of it.

Wii's gpu was obsolete before the system launched.

Fixed functions without any of the provided tools being remotely close to the modern direction graphics were heading.

Thats why the pica200 in the 3ds was already spitting out visuals that smoked wii around launch with the likes of SSF43D, re mercenaries, re reveleations, and graphically improved ports of wii games like monster hunter.

Its also fixed function, but it features modern effects and toolchains.

Wii wouldnt have been poo poo'd nearly as bad if it could spit out games that looked like reveleations, even if it was only in 480p.

Wiiu suffers from neither ofbthese issues. Its hd and its graphics pipeline is modern and up to date.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

until the WiiU's GPU specs are known nobody can really say how close the WiiU will be to the PS4 or X720.

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

alan666, on 15 Mar 2013 - 10:10, said:until the WiiU's GPU specs are known nobody can really say how close the WiiU will be to the PS4 or X720.

your point is irrelevent to, and you are missing the point of, what is being said here.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

I love my Wii U, I'm enjoying it and to me that's all that matters :D

#8 Jacob

Jacob

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

I love my Wii U, I'm enjoying it and to me that's all that matters :D

You gotta love the Wii U :D

JxkHfIT.png

#9 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Yeah seriously i love the Wii U but i do have to ask something. why is it that no 3rd party developer can ever match the Nintendo in game design. i dont believe in Nintendo magic. they need to get off their high horse and teach 3rd party devs the in and outs of the way to design games on their system. how to use the EDRAm, etc. Nintendo games are always silky smooth 60fps(for the most part). the fact that some devs dont even know the ins and outs of how to develop for the Wii U is pathetic. Nintendo has work to do.

#10 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

It wasn't the resolution. It was the decidedly GameCube level polygon performance, texture handling, Dedicated hardware shaders, etc. you bump the resolution and the details are all the more in your face. Resolution wasn't it. Geometry, textures, lighting, speed, etc. was.

The wii was fun, but in terms of visuals, it flat out sucked compared to 360 and ps3. What was a rounded sphere on 360 looked like an octagon on the wii. High res or no. Lol

Edited by Socalmuscle, 15 March 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#11 Kao

Kao

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Ernitis
  • Fandom:
    Kao the Kangaroo

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

There is NO TV to run more then 1080p

Hello! My name is Kao and I am a Kangaroo! If you can see my kicking picture there, you can see me riding one of mine friends! I am quite popular in the area because I saved alot of animals turning in to women accsesories. It was quite painfull on the way, but I liked the experience! I plan on buying a plane with all my money I got and going on an adventure on the isles. My first adventure was when that Mcguffin Hunter cought me, but I escaped, and I don't want to let any animal in pain! What's your story, mate?

-Kao the kangaroo

#12 Chaz

Chaz

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, Animal Crossing

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

In the end, when both systems are side by side and both are running in 1080p with their best looking games, you're going to have to squint to see the graphical differences this time around. Where as with Wii to PS3/360, the resolution made it much easier to notice the graphical difference, the fact that the Wii U has good texture quality and runs in 1080p is going to make it 10x harder to tell the difference.

The thing is, more demanding Wii U games (i.e. most retail games) won't be running at 1080p. The next-gen consoles will the first to truly be able to run all games @ 1080p.

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

GAMER1984, on 15 Mar 2013 - 15:32, said:Yeah seriously i love the Wii U but i do have to ask something. why is it that no 3rd party developer can ever match the Nintendo in game design. i dont believe in Nintendo magic. they need to get off their high horse and teach 3rd party devs the in and outs of the way to design games on their system. how to use the EDRAm, etc. Nintendo games are always silky smooth 60fps(for the most part). the fact that some devs dont even know the ins and outs of how to develop for the Wii U is pathetic. Nintendo has work to do.

99% of Third party games dont run silky smooth 60fps anywhere.

And its not Nintendos work to do guy. Third parties do. Nintendo simply has higher standards, thats why there is such a gap in quality.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 Chaz

Chaz

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, Animal Crossing

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

There is NO TV to run more then 1080p

The guys making 4K TVs might not agree with this.

#15 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

Chaz, on 15 Mar 2013 - 23:36, said:The guys making 4K TVs might not agree with this.

Yes, yes they might.

Then they will ask for $20,000 bucks.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#16 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

GAMER1984, on 15 Mar 2013 - 15:32, said:Yeah seriously i love the Wii U but i do have to ask something. why is it that no 3rd party developer can ever match the Nintendo in game design. i dont believe in Nintendo magic. they need to get off their high horse and teach 3rd party devs the in and outs of the way to design games on their system. how to use the EDRAm, etc. Nintendo games are always silky smooth 60fps(for the most part). the fact that some devs dont even know the ins and outs of how to develop for the Wii U is pathetic. Nintendo has work to do.
99% of Third party games dont run silky smooth 60fps anywhere.
And its not Nintendos work to do guy. Third parties do. Nintendo simply has higher standards, thats why there is such a gap in quality.

I'm just saying it seems like devs don't even know how to make games work right on WiiU. Why don't Nintendo just say hey we designed it this way do this and it easier and better than what you got out of ps360?

#17 ArmedPrimate

ArmedPrimate

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • NNID:BringerOfBooze
  • Fandom:
    Cloud (FFVII), Master Chief (Halo)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Only Wii U will not achieve native 1080p in most games, 720p will be Wii U's standard resolution.

Oh yeah baby! 32inch TV doesn't seem so bad now :D....pssh 1080p.....pssh I just didn't have enough to buy a 1080p tv..../quiet voice

Edited by ArmedPrimate, 16 March 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#18 Kao

Kao

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Ernitis
  • Fandom:
    Kao the Kangaroo

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Chaz, on 15 Mar 2013 - 23:36, said:The guys making 4K TVs might not agree with this.

Yes, yes they might.

Then they will ask for $20,000 bucks.

True that!

Hello! My name is Kao and I am a Kangaroo! If you can see my kicking picture there, you can see me riding one of mine friends! I am quite popular in the area because I saved alot of animals turning in to women accsesories. It was quite painfull on the way, but I liked the experience! I plan on buying a plane with all my money I got and going on an adventure on the isles. My first adventure was when that Mcguffin Hunter cought me, but I escaped, and I don't want to let any animal in pain! What's your story, mate?

-Kao the kangaroo

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

I'm just saying it seems like devs don't even know how to make games work right on WiiU. Why don't Nintendo just say hey we designed it this way do this and it easier and better than what you got out of ps360?

Devs do, see frozenbytes trine 2, or shin ens nano assault, or criterions nfs.

Crap second rate port teams dont.

See:all crap ps360 ports.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

It wasn't the resolution. It was the decidedly GameCube level polygon performance, texture handling, Dedicated hardware shaders, etc. you bump the resolution and the details are all the more in your face. Resolution wasn't it. Geometry, textures, lighting, speed, etc. was.

The wii was fun, but in terms of visuals, it flat out sucked compared to 360 and ps3. What was a rounded sphere on 360 looked like an octagon on the wii. High res or no. Lol

Yet Xenoblade and Mario Galaxy etc looked better than a lot of PS360 games. Wii was no slouch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!