Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

Coming directly from the Wii U x Unity keynote:

nintendo_gdc-3.jpg

I won't deny it, I was expecting better. Oh well, say goodbye to tessellation I guess :/

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#2 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

I don't really see a problem with this , since some games on wii u already look nextgen to me. 

Signature_Fox.png

#3 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

Coming directly from the Wii U x Unity keynote:

nintendo_gdc-3.jpg

I won't deny it, I was expecting better. Oh well, say goodbye to tessellation I guess :/

Well I'm sure that was advertised for indie devs and html5 and web developers. Shin'en multimedia has CONFIRMED they will be using tessellation in their next Wii U game.

https://mobile.twitt...610850833563648

#4 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Jackie-Chan-WTF-meme-face-70958233396.jpeg

Is this good thing or a bad thing?

#5 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

attachicon.gifJackie-Chan-WTF-meme-face-70958233396.jpeg

Is this good thing or a bad thing?

The OP was trying to make it a bad thing. But it was a unity indie developer session. Those developers aren't using dx11 level engine pushing the boundaries of graphics. Why advertise dx11 effects to developers that are far from using them.its been confirmed that most indie games this upcoming gen graphically will only reach the best of what we have seen this current gen which ps360 was running on dx9 level GPU's. so nothing to be worried about and like I said the makers of nano assault confirmed they are using tessellation n their next Wii U game.

#6 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

The Wii U GPU likely has a fixed function tesselation unit built into the GPU, but unlike the 360 GPU (yes, the 360 GPU had a tesselation unit) it wont be such a resource hog.  Even if the Wii U GPU was a "DX11" GPU, it was going to be such a low end DX11 GPU that it wouldnt be able to support very many of those effects at once anyway.  The difference between a $80 DX11 GPU and a $300 DX11 GPU is huge.  Just because something supports DX11, doesnt mean it can push all those features at once.   

#7 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

GAMER1984, on 28 Mar 2013 - 15:38, said:The OP was trying to make it a bad thing. But it was a unity indie developer session. Those developers aren't using dx11 level engine pushing the boundaries of graphics. Why advertise dx11 effects to developers that are far from using them.its been confirmed that most indie games this upcoming gen graphically will only reach the best of what we have seen this current gen which ps360 was running on dx9 level GPU's. so nothing to be worried about and like I said the makers of nano assault confirmed they are using tessellation n their next Wii U game.

I wasn't trying to make it a bad thing. I was merely stating the truth and my personal opinion.
Yes, the keynote was directed to indie developers, but that shouldn't stop Unity Tech from advertising its Unity 4 DX11 effects if the Wii U supported them.
Either the Wii U GPU doesn't support them altogether, or Unity is still developing DX11 effects for the Wii U (which seems I highly unlikely).

Posted Image

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

This is for the FREE unity engine, not necessarily the wii u gpu.

Also, the gamecube had tesselation, as did the wii.

Wind waker used tesselation.

The wii used tesselation in excite truck 1, wii sports, wii sports resort, and skyward sword.

Edited by 3Dude, 28 March 2013 - 08:11 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 NegaScott128

NegaScott128

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

This is for the FREE unity engine, not necessarily the wii u gpu.

Can't make Wii U games with the free version. But it is relatively low-cost.

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Can't make Wii U games with the free version. But it is relatively low-cost.

Actually you can, Nintendo is giving wii u end unity 4 for free to all who want to make wii u games and qualify the now much lower standards.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

3Dude, on 28 Mar 2013 - 16:09, said:This is for the FREE unity engine, not necessarily the wii u gpu.

The wii used tesselation in excite truck 1, wii sports, wii sports resort, and skyward sword.

The thing is that we're looking at a DX10 generation GPU, which is kind of disappointing.

Posted Image

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

3Dude, on 28 Mar 2013 - 16:09, said:This is for the FREE unity engine, not necessarily the wii u gpu.
The thing is that we're looking at a DX10 generation GPU, which is kind of disappointing.

We arent looking at ANY microsoft direct x generation ANYTHING with the wii u gpu.

What YOU are looking at HERE is a FREE engine nintendo x unity is GIVING away to anyone, that is being advertised to support dx10 equivilant features. For free.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

All this is saying is that the GPU supports the DX10 "like" deffered rendering effects that can be leveraged by the engine.  The compute shaders that are in the GPU would be fully DX11 compliant if it was a Microsoft console and had the DX11 API.

#14 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

We arent looking at ANY microsoft direct x generation ANYTHING with the wii u gpu.

What YOU are looking at HERE is a FREE engine nintendo x unity is GIVING away to anyone, that is being advertised to support dx10 equivilant features. For free.

There is no difference between the "Unity Pro 4" paid PC version and the  "Unity Pro 4" free Wii U version, because Nintendo is simply giving it out to developers free of charge. It's still the same engine.

The only difference here is that the Wii U cannot use DX11 equivalent features available on Unity Pro 4, only up to DX10.

Edited by Arkhandar, 28 March 2013 - 08:45 AM.

Posted Image

#15 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

Games on Wii U still look badass though. This doesn't bother me too much.

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

There is no difference between the "Unity Pro 4" paid PC version and the  "Unity Pro 4" free Wii U version, because Nintendo is simply giving it out to developers free of charge. It's still the same engine.

The only difference here is that the Wii U cannot use DX11 equivalent features available on Unity Pro 4, only up to DX10.

It doesn't say that at all.  Deferred rendering was the particular point on the slide, which was a feature included in DX10.  I think you are reading too much into a single slide.  Wii U won't be capable of running DX at all, because the API isnt there.

The hardware the GPU is based on is DX11 hardware.  Though all they really used from the original hardware was the shader architecture.

Edited by routerbad, 28 March 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#17 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

another questinable one. the free unity engine doesnt support. some devs claimed/confirmed the wiiU has it. im starting to wonder if wiiU has incomplete DX11 equivilants. 

#18 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

another questinable one. the free unity engine doesnt support. some devs claimed/confirmed the wiiU has it. im starting to wonder if wiiU has incomplete DX11 equivilants. 

I don't think the Wii U graphics API's are very mature yet, they may only take advantage of DX10 "like" capabilities at this point, at the API level, but the hardware is there to improve the APIs over time.

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Arkhandar, on 28 Mar 2013 - 02:58, said:There is no difference between the "Unity Pro 4" paid PC version and the "Unity Pro 4" free Wii U version, because Nintendo is simply giving it out to developers free of charge. It's still the same engine.

The only difference here is that the Wii U cannot use DX11 equivalent features available on Unity Pro 4, only up to DX10.
Guy, you dont have any clue what you are talkong about.

No, it is not the same exact unity 4 pro.

You are not going to have the exact same unity 4 on power isa wii u as you have on x86 based pc.

You are not going to have the same unity 4 on pc that is licensed to use microsoft direct x, as you are going to have on Nintendos wii u, which is NOT licensed to use microsofts direct x. (why would nintendo pay microsoft for every wii u?)

This is really, really, Really obvious stuff.

Unity 4 wii u, as stated in the conference you either never finished as you left to troll hete as soon as you erroneously thought you had ammunition...

Is BASED off of unity 4 pro. And will soon be updated with equivilant features of ALL unity 4.xx features, as stated in the conference.

'Based on Unity 4 Pro and will be updated with
all 4.x updates'

https://mobile.twitt...59020230658?p=v

I demand better next time.

Edited by 3Dude, 28 March 2013 - 10:24 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Guy, you dont have any clue what you are talkong about.

No, it is not the same exact unity 4 pro.

You are not going to have the exact same unity 4 on power isa wii u as you have on x86 based pc.

You are not going to have the same unity 4 on pc that is licensed to use microsoft direct x, as you are going to have on Nintendos wii u, which is NOT licensed to use microsofts direct x. (why would nintendo pay microsoft for every wii u?)

This is really, really, Really obvious stuff.

Unity 4 wii u, as stated in the conference you either never finished as you left to troll hete as soon as you erroneously thought you had ammunition...

Is BASED off of unity 4 pro. And will soon be updated with equivilant features of ALL unity 4.xx features, as stated in the conference.

'Based on Unity 4 Pro and will be updated with
all 4.x updates'

nintendoeverything.com/117167/details-from-nintendos-unity-gdc-2013-session/

I demand better next time.

As I said, reacting to one slide in an entire presentation doesn't really make for a reasonable argument.  Even still the slide only references one SINGLE feature of the engine and states the Wii U supports it NOW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!