• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#81 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

I have a question does everybody on here hate me : I know I tend to not get on very often but I just want to help clear stuff up and yet I feel i'm unwelcomed.

Your appropriate name aside, looking for acceptance from an internet forum is always going to disappoint.

#82 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Yeah man. Uncharted, Last of Us, Infamous, God of War, Littlebigplanet,  Killzone, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Jak and Daxter are all just terrible games.

Ucharted is a terribly boring game with some good characters and light humor. Little Big Planet is a great concept but it gets boring real fast if you're not into creating a bunch of new stages. I don't know about the rest since I haven't played them but I doubt they can beat Nintendo.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#83 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I will be interested to see if the rumors about Retro developing a Wii U specific game engine for others to license are true or not.  If Retro shows off something at E3 that is really amazing, and then they announce that the game engine will be available to Wii U developers, that could be huge.  The issue with the UE4 not coming to Wii U is that if a developer is creating a game for PS4/720 and uses the engine, they wont bring it to Wii U. 

Nintendo has always been successful based on its unique exclusive content, and instead of trying to make their "weaknesses" stronger, make your strengths even stronger.  They arent going to improve their third party multi plat situation enough to really make a big difference, but they can work to increase the number of quality exclusives on Wii U.  Not just with internal development projects, but by working with more and more independent third party developers, like they have done with Platinum games with Wonderful 101 and Baynonetta.  Embrace being the "alternative" and not the "me too" console.  Two is company but three is a crowd.  We dont need three consoles offering the same exact thing.  Embrace being different, and if you offering enough quality content, there will be plenty of consumers who will be willing ot buy your product. 

the issue though is that the Retro engine won't work for other systems so games cannot be ported over, if Retro released the engine tomorrow we wouldn't see any games for two to three years (decent games at least) i cannot see many developers or publishers spending money on a WiiU specific engine.

people want content on a console, & all this people only buy a Nintendo console for Mario & Zelda & all the other exclusives are completely missing the point, maybe these people have enough money to buy a £300 WiiU for exclusive Nintendo games & more money for another console, but the majority of people don't.

everyone saying that the WiiU will be ok when e3 comes round are also missing the point, there will be more PS4 stuff out-there & there will also be the X720 reveal , i have the feeling that Nintendo & the WiiU are just going to get overlooked unless they reveal something spectacular for the WiiU it has to be something simply groundbreaking that stuns the gaming world, otherwise anyone thinking of buying a WiiU will just save their money for a PS4 or X720.

the WiiU needs games NOW not at e3 because it will be too late by then.

Nintendo are in a no win situation, if they pull the WiiU like they did with the 3DS when they released the XL they will really pee off the loyal fans who brought on day one, i myself will never buy a Nintendo system after the 3DS & WiiU launch issues, even now after just six months after release retailers are reducing WiiU shelf space, i think that says it all.

Shame really.

#84 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

I dont have the sales data handy, but I believe there has been a trend over the past few years where the top 10 games are accounting for roughly 50% of total videogame sales.  For example, when videogame sales are down 20% but Call of Duty and Assasins Creed sales remain steady, it means that the lesser known titles took the punishment.  If the top titles didnt reflect that drop in sales, then that means the 20% drop is actually more than a 20% drop for most games.  This leaves the door wide open for Nintendo work with a variety of developers who have been fighting with a ton of other developers for a piece of that pie that gets eaten up by a handful of projects on teh 360/PS3.  Not every developer is married to Sony and Microsoft, if Nintendo can make them an attractive offer, then they would have no issues with moving development to Wii U.  Nintendo is in a unique place to broaden their publishing duties with third party developers. 

Its becoming harder and harder for developers to create games without the risk of a single failure sinking the ship.  Sony and Microsoft are perfectly fine with the path that games have been on.  Lets create bigger and prettier versions of  the same games year after year and hope that it sells at least 2 million units, because if it doesnt be are going to close shop.  :blink:   Nintendo gave developers a new control interface, and Ubisoft was able to take what would otherwise be a run of the mill zombie shooter game, and create something totally unique.  Suprise surpise, its doing well on Wii U.  You know what else, unique ideas Zombi U introduces do not increase development cost.  Nintendo promotes unique ideas with their hardware, Sony and Microsoft promote bigger AAA games, because its a reflection of their hardware creation, more of the same. 

#85 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Agreed.
No, not downscaled at all.  

Seriously... I don't say this as a hater but you seem so confident of what the Wii U can do... Wy is that? Like I will say I don't know I don't have a clue. But we're you there in the meeting room when Nintendo was developing the console. You are says g Wii U can handle everything ps4 can? Why can ports only reach it seems at best for the moment 720p 30fps. Like no even 720p 60fps. I'm just not as confident as you and 3dude.

#86 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

I dont have the sales data handy, but I believe there has been a trend over the past few years where the top 10 games are accounting for roughly 50% of total videogame sales.  For example, when videogame sales are down 20% but Call of Duty and Assasins Creed sales remain steady, it means that the lesser known titles took the punishment.  If the top titles didnt reflect that drop in sales, then that means the 20% drop is actually more than a 20% drop for most games.  This leaves the door wide open for Nintendo work with a variety of developers who have been fighting with a ton of other developers for a piece of that pie that gets eaten up by a handful of projects on teh 360/PS3.  Not every developer is married to Sony and Microsoft, if Nintendo can make them an attractive offer, then they would have no issues with moving development to Wii U.  Nintendo is in a unique place to broaden their publishing duties with third party developers. 

Its becoming harder and harder for developers to create games without the risk of a single failure sinking the ship.  Sony and Microsoft are perfectly fine with the path that games have been on.  Lets create bigger and prettier versions of  the same games year after year and hope that it sells at least 2 million units, because if it doesnt be are going to close shop.  :blink:   Nintendo gave developers a new control interface, and Ubisoft was able to take what would otherwise be a run of the mill zombie shooter game, and create something totally unique.  Suprise surpise, its doing well on Wii U.  You know what else, unique ideas Zombi U introduces do not increase development cost.  Nintendo promotes unique ideas with their hardware, Sony and Microsoft promote bigger AAA games, because its a reflection of their hardware creation, more of the same. 

what else new is there apart from ZombiU other than Black Opps 2 to appeal to the core gamers that Nintendo are after ?

Lego city ? it will always be compared to GTA V & that is what everyone will be buying for their X360 or PS3, i know this because it is what i will be doing, if it were to be launched on the same day for the WiiU then i would buy it for my WiiU.

It is no good for us who have paid money for a WiiU if Nintendo innovate at the expensive of developers & publishers making games for the system.

#87 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Ucharted is a terribly boring game with some good characters and light humor. Little Big Planet is a great concept but it gets boring real fast if you're not into creating a bunch of new stages. I don't know about the rest since I haven't played them but I doubt they can beat Nintendo.

Uncharted isn't boring at all and professional reviewers agree with that. Uncharted 2 is often mentioned as one of the best games of all time.

#88 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

what else new is there apart from ZombiU other than Black Opps 2 to appeal to the core gamers that Nintendo are after ?

Lego city ? it will always be compared to GTA V & that is what everyone will be buying for their X360 or PS3, i know this because it is what i will be doing, if it were to be launched on the same day for the WiiU then i would buy it for my WiiU.

It is no good for us who have paid money for a WiiU if Nintendo innovate at the expensive of developers & publishers making games for the system.

The console has been out a total of 4 months! :angry:   Nintendo Land is innovative, asysymetrical gameplay is not possible on any other console.  Some people should not buy a console at launch, they will never meet their expectations. 

You know what your going to see at E3 for the PS4 and 720?  1080P versions Assassins Creed, COD, and Battllefield.  Prettier versions of the same games you can still play on the 360 or PS3.  Yea, thats going to get the masses out buying a PS4 and 720 at launch. :rolleyes:   At the same E3 Nintendo will be showing off nearly every one of their multi million selling IP's.   

#89 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

The console has been out a total of 4 months! :angry:   Nintendo Land is innovative, asysymetrical gameplay is not possible on any other console.  Some people should not buy a console at launch, they will never meet their expectations. 

You know what your going to see at E3 for the PS4 and 720?  1080P versions Assassins Creed, COD, and Battllefield.  Prettier versions of the same games you can still play on the 360 or PS3.  Yea, thats going to get the masses out buying a PS4 and 720 at launch. :rolleyes:   At the same E3 Nintendo will be showing off nearly every one of their multi million selling IP's.   

Well Nintendo has to have an Epic E3. Because if they don't the Wii U is done.

#90 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I can guarantee you at e3 we will see a total of 3 minimum new iP's not yet revealed as exclusives to 720 ps4 and PC.

#91 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

They are going to show off Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, and more.  Yea, I think that will suffice as "epic."

#92 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

This I agree with... No way around it.

#93 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

I can guarantee you at e3 we will see a total of 3 minimum new iP's not yet revealed as exclusives to 720 ps4 and PC.

Exclusive while on three different consoles?  Thats not really exclusive then is it?  :P

#94 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Seriously... I don't say this as a hater but you seem so confident of what the Wii U can do... Wy is that? Like I will say I don't know I don't have a clue. But we're you there in the meeting room when Nintendo was developing the console. You are says g Wii U can handle everything ps4 can? Why can ports only reach it seems at best for the moment 720p 30fps. Like no even 720p 60fps. I'm just not as confident as you and 3dude.

There isn't any reason to downscale when the hardware to pull off all of the same graphical "tricks" is there.  There may be some limitations API wise as Nintendo continue to revise their toolkit and developers get more experience with the platform.  Other than that, barring any developers coding down for the Wii U simply because they aren't willing to put the effort into it (a la EPIC), multiplatform games will look largely identical on all three platforms.  I've said this before, later in the gen we will see some developers do things that can't be done on the Wii U, but you would be hard pressed to notice them.

Keep in mind that OpenGL and DirectX on x86 is extremely common and any developers who have built games for PC in the last 10 years have gobs of experience with it.  Even with all that experience and supposed power of the PS4, the best we've seen for the PS4 looks, well, a lot like what's coming out now for PS3 with some sharper textures.

Nintendo's platform is completely new, No one has ever seen or worked with this hardware before because the hardware itself never existed before Nintendo, IBM, and AMD built it.  Not only does it take time for developers to wrap their heads around that, it takes time for Nintendo to develop, distribute, and cycle the API's and development environments to aid in development.  What we saw in Killzone should be fairly indicative of what to expect from the game when it releases.  It may look a little better or worse because they'll have final hardware and HDK/SDK, but they'll have to add much more into the game than one on level with limited physics and AI, and character animations, the list goes on.

We've also seen a glimpse of what early development on an open world game on Wii U looks like, and that video alone should be enough to prove that not only can Wii U pull off enormous worlds, but it can do it and put AAA games like Skyrim to shame.

We are at a point where even sizable gaps in performance amount to little visual gain, but offer gains in supporting areas of game development.  The PS4 is sizeably more powerful than the Wii U, but it will translate to very little improvement in the overall look and feel of a game.  It depends on the game itself, to be fair, but the hardware is there to do the same thing on both systems.  Expect both to have absolutely stunning exclusives too.

#95 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

They are going to show off Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, and more.  Yea, I think that will suffice as "epic."

Not really... Good maybe. Epic would be GTA5 coming to Wii U, metroid prime 4 coming running on cry engine 3 plus cry tech announcing they are making an exclusive shooter for Nintendo fans on Wii U, ubisoft announcing beyond good and evil 2 Wii U exclusive, and saga announcing shenmue 3 Wii U exclusive.... The. You have an epic Nintendo E3.

#96 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Uncharted isn't boring at all and professional reviewers agree with that. Uncharted 2 is often mentioned as one of the best games of all time.

Uncharted was fun.  Uncharted 2 is WAAYYYYY off from being considered anywhere close to being thought about being the best game of all time.

Uncharted was fun.  Uncharted 2 is WAAYYYYY off from being considered anywhere close to being thought about being the best game of all time.

#97 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Exclusive while on three different consoles?  Thats not really exclusive then is it?  :P

You know exactly what I mean. They will say those are the only next gen platforms that can run the game.

#98 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Not really... Good maybe. Epic would be GTA5 coming to Wii U, metroid prime 4 coming running on cry engine 3 plus cry tech announcing they are making an exclusive shooter for Nintendo fans on Wii U, ubisoft announcing beyond good and evil 2 Wii U exclusive, and saga announcing shenmue 3 Wii U exclusive.... The. You have an epic Nintendo E3.

Yeah take two can keep GTAV from my personal standpoint.

#99 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I think he means not coming to the Wii U. But Sony and Microsoft will unveil some great exclusives during their E3 too. Rumor is that Final Fantasy XV is PS4 exclusive.

#100 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

If GTA is what you consider the pinacle of gaming, then go buy a PS3 or or 360 if you havent already.  Its obvious that those products offering is more in line with your taste in games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!