#21 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

show me a modern game with sh**ty graphics and good gameplay that sold very well. We'd all like to think that graphics don't matter, but they do. All the top selling games

a quick google search gave some of the top games of 2012:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
2. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, Wii U)
3. Halo 4 (360)
4. Assassin's Creed III (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
5. Just Dance 4 (Wii, 360, Wii U, PS3)
6. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Wii U, PC)
7. Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC
10. FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, 3DS, Wii U, PSP)

everyone of those games have good graphics for what they are trying to do. Ok, maybe not just dance 4 :P

Stop pretending that this guys an idiot, the majority of people who play games think graphics are important.

Because Just dance and COD have insane graphics

#22 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Oh... Ok...

It's just that, all this time I've thought that GAMEplay was the most important thing in a videoGAME. 

I'm going to go and recontemplate my entire life now.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#23 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Because Just dance and COD have insane graphics

let's be honest. COD DOES have decent graphics, if it looked like doom 1, do you really think it would be as popular today as it is? I don't. The graphics are a big part of why it's popular. There is a standard minimum level of graphics that are required in todays games (for the most part).

Also, I already said just dance would be an exception, it caters to a totally different gamer than most games

#24 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

How stupid is this guy, see I think this is a very good example of how developers have lost touch with the consumer.

#25 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

show me a modern game with sh**ty graphics and good gameplay that sold very well. We'd all like to think that graphics don't matter, but they do. All the top selling games

3. Halo 4 (360)

everyone of those games have good graphics for what they are trying to do. Ok, maybe not just dance 4 :P

Stop pretending that this guys an idiot, the majority of people who play games think graphics are important.

yes your so right, madden, fifa, lego batman, nba all have amazing graphics.

let's be honest. COD DOES have decent graphics, if it looked like doom 1, do you really think it would be as popular today as it is? I don't. The graphics are a big part of why it's popular. There is a standard minimum level of graphics that are required in todays games (for the most part).

Also, I already said just dance would be an exception, it caters to a totally different gamer than most games

ya if CoD 9 looked like doom then DUHH DERPY DUH its not going to sell well, but if it had graphics like Cod 2 it would still sell like it is now

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#26 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

The other 40% is the DLC

LOL thats so true :P

3. Halo 4 (360)

I don't know how legit this is... I mean, don't forget that the Wii's dead in 2012. What's left? PS3 and 360. Both are oriented towards graphics. Those games happen to have good graphics, but thats mainly because they're on PS3 and 360. Go back in time, and think of Mario Kart, Super Smash and New Super Mario Bros Wii. Here ya go. Great sales, mediocre graphics.

Edited by Alianjaro, 13 April 2013 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image

#27 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

To be honest, he has a point: most of the money going towards building a AAA game is the graphics, whether that is modelling, making the textures, and designing the art assets.

LOL thats so true :P

I don't know how legit this is... I mean, don't forget that the Wii's dead in 2012. What's left? PS3 and 360. Both are oriented towards graphics. Those games happen to have good graphics, but thats mainly because they're on PS3 and 360. Go back in time, and think of Mario Kart, Super Smash and New Super Mario Bros Wii. Here ya go. Great sales, mediocre graphics.

Brawl has amazing graphics. It looks like a 360 game with 480p. They seriously got a lot out of the Wii, which is why I'm excited to see how much they can get out of the Eii U woth Smash 4.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#28 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

I think good MODERN graphics matter depending on the style. Realistic games require really good graphics, because a ten year old engine would ruin immersion. But some games like minecraft that have a retro style do really well with outdated graphics. I would say graphic style matters a lot in a video game, but how much detail/ effects\resolution don't matter nearly as much unless it is a realistic style game.Gameplay is still most important though.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#29 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Brawl has amazing graphics. It looks like a 360 game with 480p. They seriously got a lot out of the Wii, which is why I'm excited to see how much they can get out of the Eii U woth Smash 4.

That's true, they were quite impressive, but I was assuming that resolution was part of the graphics.

Posted Image

#30 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

He's not saying graphics make up 60% of the game. The people who put up the article are stupid for have a title like that.

"The better the graphics, the better the physics, the better the sound design, the better the technical assets and production values are – paired with the art direction, making things look spectacular and stylistic is 60 per cent of the game."

This isn't a string basing from graphics, these are practically bullet points. He's saying that all of these non-plot elements make up 60% of the game, which makes sense. The other 40% would be things like plot and game specific mechanics, things that people look for that deviate the game from the rest.

And I'd say he's not wrong in his logic. The people who put up the article just completely sucked on this. I also can't argue the realism elements like blades of grass is wrong. If something looks pretty people will buy it.

After re-reading the article, I believe what he means by graphics is actually his generalisation for the technical non-plot parts of the game as part of insertion to the question.

Edited by Prime Minister Goto, 14 April 2013 - 01:56 PM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#31 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

He's not saying graphics make up 60% of the game. The people who put up the article are stupid for have a title like that.

"The better the graphics, the better the physics, the better the sound design, the better the technical assets and production values are – paired with the art direction, making things look spectacular and stylistic is 60 per cent of the game."

This isn't a string basing from graphics, these are practically bullet points. He's saying that all of these non-plot elements make up 60% of the game, which makes sense. The other 40% would be things like plot and game specific mechanics, things that people look for that deviate the game from the rest.

And I'd say he's not wrong in his logic. The people who put up the article just completely sucked on this. I also can't argue the realism elements like blades of grass is wrong. If something looks pretty people will buy it.

After re-reading the article, I believe what he means by graphics is actually his generalisation for the technical non-plot parts of the game as part of insertion to the question.

I could see 20% being specifically graphical presentation (with 90% of that being art direction), 20% being physics and AI (most technical aspects), 10% being sound, 25-30% to plot (motivation for going on a quest, following objectives, etc), and 25-30% being game mechanic.

Edited by routerbad, 14 April 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#32 Half

Half

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • NNID:HalfName
  • Fandom:
    Curse all fanboys/girls.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... nope.

FmEkJ2.gif

#33 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

if that was the case then the old final fantasies suuuuck. cant believe i wasted hundreds of hours on them. psh the story is nothing now...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!