Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

“People say that graphics don’t matter,” says Yerli, “but play Crysis and tell me they don’t matter. It’s always been about graphics driving gameplay.”

“In Crysis 3 it’s the grass and the vegetation, the way the physics runs the grass interact and sways them in the wind. You can read when an AI enemy is running towards you just by observing the way the grass blades.

“Graphics, whether it’s lighting or shadows, puts you in a different emotional context and drives the immersion.”

“And immersion is effectively the number one thing we can use to help you buy into the world.”

“The better the graphics, the better the physics, the better the sound design, the better the technical assets and production values are – paired with the art direction, making things look spectacular and stylistic is 60 per cent of the game.”

http://www.x360magaz...60-of-the-game/

Well.....This guy's certainly lost his mind.

Edited by Julio93, 12 April 2013 - 01:33 PM.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

oh, this is rich, great stuff, great stuff

wa3Nq7j.png

#3 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Anyone got some popcorn?

#4 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

POPULAR

The other 40% is the DLC

#5 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Well, this explains Crysis 3 and its various issues...

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#6 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Graphics DO matter, but it's usually through art style. Gameplay is and always will be most important. This guy saying it's 60% is a little muh.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#7 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Anyone got some popcorn?

tumblr_m8hwwidcSs1r3f9ymo2_250.gif

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#8 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

The other 40% is the DLC

I want to reply to this but you don't have the correct DLC Pack!

#9 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Graphics DO matter, but it's usually through art style. Gameplay is and always will be most important. This guy saying it's 60% is a little muh.

I agree, although it's all subjective opinions. I think it also depend greatly on the type of game.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#10 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

What is this guy smoking, we all know that graphics are 100% of what makes up a good game  :rolleyes:

Edited by Penguin101, 12 April 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#11 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

The most important thing about a video game is it's gameplay, graphics should never take priority over that. If the gameplay blows, the game blows, and graphics aren't going to be able to make the game better.

Edited by SDDMN, 12 April 2013 - 02:04 PM.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#12 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

I think it depends on the game. For instance, a game like the most recent SimCity has amazing graphics, but I can't run those amazing graphics because I game on a laptop. However, it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the game, because the game still looks decent. Even if the buildings were just colored rectangles and squares, that would still be a fun experience.

#13 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Graphics are very important, but they certainly are not 60% of the game...

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

He has certainly gone insane.  No one, and I mean no one, pays a modicum of attention to the damn grass blades in Crysis.  Sure the game looks great, but its the mechanic that gets people to buy into it.  Graphics are important, but photorealistic graphics are not important at all, so long as it the art direction helps to create the same immersion he is referring to.

Also, production values have absolutely zilch to do with whether a game will be fun to play or not.  Absolutely none.  There are several examples of fun games with extremely low production value, and absolutely horrendous games with AAA production value.

The most important thing about a video game is it's gameplay, graphics should never take priority over that. If the gameplay blows, the game blows, and graphics aren't going to be able to make the game better.

They don't even bother with gameplay anymore, they look at what else is popular on the market, ape the mechanic, spend $$$ on making it look cool and photorealistic, then hype the game based on the visuals alone.

This is what all of them are doing most of the time.  Uncharted is pretty popular, lets take that gameplay mechanic, swap in Lara Croft as the lead, hire a script writer to come up with some over-dramatic plot line, spend all our money on visuals, then sell it.  Then complain that 3M in sales in one week isn't enough because the production values were so high we can't break even.

#15 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

so graphics drive sound? ok?

Signature_Fox.png

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

so graphics drive sound? ok?

Right?

You can have great physics, sound, art direction, etc irrespective of what the graphics engine looks like.  Graphics do add to the immersion, just like those other ancillary systems do, but it doesn't make up for anywhere near 60% of gaming.

#17 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I thought they were going to say development of the game.

#18 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

show me a modern game with sh**ty graphics and good gameplay that sold very well. We'd all like to think that graphics don't matter, but they do. All the top selling games

a quick google search gave some of the top games of 2012:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
2. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, Wii U)
3. Halo 4 (360)
4. Assassin's Creed III (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
5. Just Dance 4 (Wii, 360, Wii U, PS3)
6. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Wii U, PC)
7. Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC
10. FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, 3DS, Wii U, PSP)

everyone of those games have good graphics for what they are trying to do. Ok, maybe not just dance 4 :P

Stop pretending that this guys an idiot, the majority of people who play games think graphics are important.

#19 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Wait! So a guy from a developer whose games' only claim to fame are the graphics is saying that graphics are the most important aspect of a game? Well that's just silly! Why would someone from a team that is obviously focused on graphics say they're important? Something weird is going on here. 

pNgecl.gif

#20 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

show me a modern game with sh**ty graphics and good gameplay that sold very well. We'd all like to think that graphics don't matter, but they do. All the top selling games

a quick google search gave some of the top games of 2012:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
2. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, Wii U)
3. Halo 4 (360)
4. Assassin's Creed III (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
5. Just Dance 4 (Wii, 360, Wii U, PS3)
6. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Wii U, PC)
7. Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC
10. FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, 3DS, Wii U, PSP)

everyone of those games have good graphics for what they are trying to do. Ok, maybe not just dance 4 :P

Stop pretending that this guys an idiot, the majority of people who play games think graphics are important.

Seriously, tell me which one of those games sold well in 2012 specifically because of the graphics.  I'll give you sports titles, realism is actually quite important in those games, though still not as important as physics, AI, and gameplay mechanic.  The guy is an idiot, and if he weren't, Crysis would have topped the charts for the last near decade.  Those games are decent, well COD's 5 year old engine is starting to show its age, but I digress. 

Here's the point, and I'm sure I already said this in a previous post.  Graphics ARE important, but not 2/3 of what makes a great game important.  Tops in sales will always have decent graphics, because it aids in immersion, but all of those games also have mass market appeal, and all of them are standouts in their genres (except COD, but kids love it for some reason).  Look at the bottom of the charts and you'll find it littered with great looking games that are absolutely no fun to play.  graphics don't make a game, ZombiU is doing fairly well for itself and wasn't very good to look at at all.

Another point, he didn't say "graphics are 60% of what makes a game sell well", he said that graphics are 60% of what makes a game great. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!