Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

http://www.gamespot....-online-6406959

Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat has weighed in on the possibility of an always-online requirement for next-generation platforms. Speaking Game Informer), Mallat said he believes most gamers are already prepared for such a mandate.

WatchDogs_05561_embed.jpg

"Well, that's a question you should put to Microsoft and Sony! I would say that a lot of people are already always online through other devices," Mallat said. "I would suspect that the audience is ready."

The executive added that if an always-online console hopes to see mass adoption, it must "provide clear benefits" for such a requirement, like extra content or featured services.

Microsoft's Xbox 720 is rumored to require an Internet connection--and a Kinect unit--to function. If a network signal drops for three minutes, any running applications or games will cease to work, according to a past report.

Earlier this month, Microsoft creative director Adam Orth made headlines after saying, "Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an 'always on' console. Every device now is 'always on'. That's the world we live in." He then used the hashtag "#dealwithit." He is no longer with Microsoft.

Microsoft has not commented at all on plans for a future platform, though multiple reports have indicated the company will announce the next Xbox on May 21.

The PlayStation 4 does not require an Internet connection. No console in history ever has.

Okay here's the thing about this, We don't need an always online console, some people I know don't even have internet for god sake! This is not right. #Dealwithit!

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 Ashurii

Ashurii

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

What about if you go to a summer house for part of summer and don't have wifi or that? Or don

't have wifi still on dial up

Jontron.jpg

#3 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Always online is stupid, products shouldn't punish or prevent you from enjoying them for not having an internet connection.

#4 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Well, I'm not, and I'm a gamer, so FU** THIS!! Always online is stupid because I have terrible Internet and when I'm on it no one else in my house can, so I would only be able to play games past 11 PM :( FU always online!

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#5 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Speak for yourself Ubisoft. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Some people are ready, but the servers to run it aren't, imo.

Even steam can't handle sales twice a year and they have so many servers.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

I think we are ready, it's just not the most practical yet. I'd say give it another gen or two.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#8 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Meanwhile at electronic arts

794144.png?13383682

#9 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Most gamers might be ready for this. But do we want this? No, big flat N-O. So many problems will arise with this, and will only hurt these companies. Such an arrogant businessman response from Ubisoft. As if they're saying " No you silly geese, you do want DRM! You just don't know it."

#10 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

If he lived in the middle of Kansas where we have slow internet he would think differently.

Signature_DK.png

#11 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I don't own ANYTHING that is always on... and he says every device is always on now days??? (yes i don't have a phone... shut up :D)

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#12 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

It seems like he doesn't know what always on means: he (and the DealWithIt guy) think always on is referring to everything relying on the internet for many tasks (I'm using my phone to type this for example). In that sense, the Wii U, Xbox 360, PS3, and PS4 are already always online: otherwise you wouldn't get Miiverse, Xbox live community access, or the PS4 share features. What always on actually means is that the device can't function without an internet source. If I don't have a connection on my phone, that doesn't stop me from calling people. If Xbox Live goes down (like it did the other day), I can still play my 360 games. If I don't have access to Miiverse, I can still play Wii U games. If the Nextbox is alwayd online, you wouldn't even be able to play your games.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#13 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

another sign ubisoft is embracing everything the next gen gives it.

#14 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

They're just trying to butter people up for the Xbox 720 because they're worried by the backlash against that employee's tweets about it being always-online.  

Edited by kokirii, 15 April 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#15 Dusean17

Dusean17

Blooper

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Fandom:
    PATAPON | LBP | DIGIMON | ZELDA | KIRBY

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

Wow, MS is going to kill their audience....game over....90% Xbox guys stated they were switching over to PS4....sad when you push away people like that.

PlayStationUnityampNintendoUnitySingleSi

To visit my Nintendo Channel click the link above, to visit my PlayStation Channel click here.

#16 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'm just afraid when Sony wins over the MS fanboys how it will affect good old Nintendo. Nintendo needs to do something fast before the PS4 drops to win people over.

Signature_DK.png

#17 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Always online will never make sense for consoles.

Smartphones and tablets are designed to be an Internet dependent experience (the only way to acquire software).

But consoles and pcs should never ever have that forced on people.

It's a selfish company decision that does not help the end user in any way.

#18 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

Meanwhile at electronic arts

do they make good games ever?

#19 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

I couldn't care less, I have had my consoles all online 24/7 since the ps2.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#20 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

I couldn't care less, I have had my consoles all online 24/7 since the ps2.

There is a difference between always online and being forced to maintain an internet connection for basic functionality.  Most people keep their consoles connected all the time, fact.  However, forcing users to stay online else their console bricks without it is the wrong way.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!