Photo

No E3, but chance for a better E3 Nintendo Direct?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 Zombies8MyDuck

Zombies8MyDuck

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Zombies8MyDuck
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

I need a nintendo direct asap!!!!

#22 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Problem is... There will be E3. The conference has been cut into two pieces, and the one for the medias is the one we usually get.............

Not sure about that. According to Iwata, all they will do is show games because not all the usual media will be there.

#23 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

To me all those things were part of the show and that only made it better. It was always cool to see the people there laughing and whatnot.

Well you could always...you know...go out with real people and laugh and stuff with them. 

pNgecl.gif

#24 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Not sure about that. According to Iwata, all they will do is show games because not all the usual media will be there.

Isn't it what E3 has always been about, showing games?

Posted Image

#25 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Well you could always...you know...go out with real people and laugh and stuff with them. 

It isn`t about me doing it, it`s about being there, being part of the show. Like watching a movie alone or with friends. It`s always better to watch it together with someone.

Isn't it what E3 has always been about, showing games?

True. But E3 was also special in the way it presented them.

People criticize Nintendo`s last E3s because they thought Nintendo didn`t put out a good show - as in, deliver good games or enough games. But that was always part of the whole show. Who didn`t like to see in 2006, Nintendo inviting that guy from the crowd to play Wii Sports or when Reggie said he was like a purple Pikmin, etc.?

To me, that`s one of the things that will most likely be lost with NDs because they aren`t a live show.

#26 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

The usual conference was cancelled. It will be replaced by two events: one for business partners and other to a group of media. The usual news/conference will be replaced by multiple NDs. 

And that`s exactly my point: the usual on stage presentation is no more. Which to me was a loss and i asked here how people would like these multiple NDs to be.

that is a issue, ND's from what i see and here work great in japan, in US, E3 presentation will advertise much better. most people here dont watch ND, and end up getting info from secondary sources. 

#27 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

that is a issue, ND's from what i see and here work great in japan, in US, E3 presentation will advertise much better. most people here dont watch ND, and end up getting info from secondary sources. 

I always had the idea that the japanese crowd didn`t that much for E3. But for Europe and US, it was the greatest venue to presente your line-up and strategy.

My fear is that despite the promise of showing great games, the ND will feel a bit bland when compared to MS and Sony`s presentations.

#28 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

True. But E3 was also special in the way it presented them.

People criticize Nintendo`s last E3s because they thought Nintendo didn`t put out a good show - as in, deliver good games or enough games. But that was always part of the whole show. Who didn`t like to see in 2006, Nintendo inviting that guy from the crowd to play Wii Sports or when Reggie said he was like a purple Pikmin, etc.?

To me, that`s one of the things that will most likely be lost with NDs because they aren`t a live show.

I see what you mean, and tbh I think you're right. But being flooded with ND's this year won't do bad IMO. It's not as if E3 was discontinued by Nintendo forever.

Posted Image

#29 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I see what you mean, and tbh I think you're right. But being flooded with ND's this year won't do bad IMO. It's not as if E3 was discontinued by Nintendo forever.

You are right. There`s no confirmation that E3 will be cancelled forever. But truth is that if this year turns out to be good for Nintendo, what reason do they have to return to E3 if not only when they have a new console to show?

I don`t mind watching a lot of NDs, as there was only E3 in the past and then some magazine/website to reveal games.
I just hope Nintendo realises what ND can`t deliver and try to do something diferente even if just for the sake of being E3 time. Make it a little more fun.

#30 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

You are right. There`s no confirmation that E3 will be cancelled forever. But truth is that if this year turns out to be good for Nintendo, what reason do they have to return to E3 if not only when they have a new console to show?

I don`t mind watching a lot of NDs, as there was only E3 in the past and then some magazine/website to reveal games.
I just hope Nintendo realises what ND can`t deliver and try to do something diferente even if just for the sake of being E3 time. Make it a little more fun.

I think it's because medias are overhyping/hating on the PS4/720. The attention will be on them and it would be hard for Nintendo to make the medias shift the focus to them.

It's just like what happened last year. Sony's conference was mediocre. They knew they didn't have a chance to make more noise than Nintendo. They still decided to hold a conference, which resulted in bad and vehement criticism towards them. To avoid such a situation, Nintendo probably took that decision.

But these are assumptions.

Posted Image

#31 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

Nintendo can do a lot of things. First, whatever they do, they need to do it before E3. That way the media would have reported on the games they are going to play at E3.

Second, they can do several things. They can do as you suggest and have a non live presentation, or they can hold a press conference somewhere in America (it would be cheaper than going to E3) and invite the media and anyone else.

Then stream said press conference as a Nintendo Direct. And have this before E3.

As you can see, they have other options. Hopefully they get creative and do something awesome.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#32 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:51 AM

Don`t know if i heard anything. I know 2K isn`t going.

That`s a surprise! Weren`t they going to show it`s console?

I thought they would show their console. Guess not. What do you think the chances of the console making it in with the big guys (ninty, sony, microsoft) and continuing on to make more consoles?

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#33 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

ND or E3 isn`t just about what you presente but how you present them. They are only as good as the games they show.
I`ll miss the whole style of the presentation, but there are other things that we won`t get - like the ones i mentioned above - because the style of presentation has changed. And because of that i wish Nintendo could take the opportunity and make this a special ND or NDs.

That`s why i asked what everyone would like to see in this/these ND(s) during E3.

But the average gamer does know what E3 is, bcause every year there`s a ton of written and visual coverage from E3 by both the specialized media and generic channels. More than once i have seen reports about E3 on TV channels. That will never happen with a ND.

Don`t know if i heard anything. I know 2K isn`t going.
That`s a surprise! Weren`t they going to show it`s console?

One, I know gamers who don't know what E3 is. Some gamers just play games and don't read about them. Second, Nintendo is going to E3 and said media will be at said event and the games being announced at said Nintendo Direct will be at said event so said media outlets will talk about it and report back to us.

So really I don't get what we are missing.

Hopefully it isn't just Iwata in front of a white screen talking fractured English.

They better not do that! I totally agree. Let Reggie talk to us.

#34 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Here is the main issue that I have with Ninty bailing on the big stage.  Gamers like us know that we will still get all of the info that we want in terms of the games, but the more casual fans might miss out.  Nintendo has done an awful job of marketing the Wii U, and this doesn't help the perception of the console imo. 

Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#35 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I think it's because medias are overhyping/hating on the PS4/720. The attention will be on them and it would be hard for Nintendo to make the medias shift the focus to them.

It's just like what happened last year. Sony's conference was mediocre. They knew they didn't have a chance to make more noise than Nintendo. They still decided to hold a conference, which resulted in bad and vehement criticism towards them. To avoid such a situation, Nintendo probably took that decision.

But these are assumptions.

The less enthusiastic you are about your own product, less is the power to attract customers to it.

Sony, MS and Nintendo always made conferences because it`s the best way to sell their product and also to give fans a good time with big revelations. Of course, not always E3 will be great, but it`s always better than nothing.

Iwata made the decision because he had no consoles to show (his own words) and seeing as ND have such high ratings, there was no problem to not do the usual media keynote.

I thought they would show their console. Guess not. What do you think the chances of the console making it in with the big guys (ninty, sony, microsoft) and continuing on to make more consoles?

Valve`s console - if it ever gets released - will appeal more to the PC and tablet/smartphone gamer. With competition from Ouya too. It`s not really a console in the traditional sense, i think. It will work as one, but it won`t be targeted towards the average console player.

Making more consoles, who? Valve or the others? Well if it`s about Valve, it will all depend if the investment pays off and they see that in the future it can grow.

The others will always be around no matter how much people think otherwise. Consoles always had the competition of PCs and handhelds and that never stopped Nintendo, Sony or MS selling HW because in the end, all offer different experiences.

Same happens with iOS games: it`s a different type of gaming.

One, I know gamers who don't know what E3 is. Some gamers just play games and don't read about them. Second, Nintendo is going to E3 and said media will be at said event and the games being announced at said Nintendo Direct will be at said event so said media outlets will talk about it and report back to us.

So really I don't get what we are missing.

They better not do that! I totally agree. Let Reggie talk to us.

It depends on what the generic news channel is going to post as news: just the games on show or also parts of the conference?

My point with this thread was to show that there`s what you show, on one side, and how you show it, on the other.

I think E3 will be missed. So i asked how people would envision these E3 Nintendo Directs to at least make them a good compensation for losing E3 this year. Basically, to not just have Iwata on a white background talking with little emotion presenting big games.

You too don`t want that, it seems. As yourself, i want them to be creative!

And there`s always room to make these NDs special, to make it feel like E3.

Here is the main issue that I have with Ninty bailing on the big stage.  Gamers like us know that we will still get all of the info that we want in terms of the games, but the more casual fans might miss out.  Nintendo has done an awful job of marketing the Wii U, and this doesn't help the perception of the console imo. 

Well, it`s more likely that non-gamers and casual gamers know or have heard about E3 than ND. E3 has been around for years and is even covered by news channels.

I assume it`s more likely they will be interested in knowing about that than ND.

#36 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

Entire direct for smash bros.? YES PLEASE!

I can totally see it happen to be honest. It will be big.

No sig.

#37 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

The less enthusiastic you are about your own product, less is the power to attract customers to it.
Sony, MS and Nintendo always made conferences because it`s the best way to sell their product and also to give fans a good time with big revelations. Of course, not always E3 will be great, but it`s always better than nothing.

Iwata made the decision because he had no consoles to show (his own words) and seeing as ND have such high ratings, there was no problem to not do the usual media keynote.

Valve`s console - if it ever gets released - will appeal more to the PC and tablet/smartphone gamer. With competition from Ouya too. It`s not really a console in the traditional sense, i think. It will work as one, but it won`t be targeted towards the average console player.

Making more consoles, who? Valve or the others? Well if it`s about Valve, it will all depend if the investment pays off and they see that in the future it can grow.
The others will always be around no matter how much people think otherwise. Consoles always had the competition of PCs and handhelds and that never stopped Nintendo, Sony or MS selling HW because in the end, all offer different experiences.
Same happens with iOS games: it`s a different type of gaming.

It depends on what the generic news channel is going to post as news: just the games on show or also parts of the conference?

My point with this thread was to show that there`s what you show, on one side, and how you show it, on the other.
I think E3 will be missed. So i asked how people would envision these E3 Nintendo Directs to at least make them a good compensation for losing E3 this year. Basically, to not just have Iwata on a white background talking with little emotion presenting big games.

You too don`t want that, it seems. As yourself, i want them to be creative!
And there`s always room to make these NDs special, to make it feel like E3.

Well, it`s more likely that non-gamers and casual gamers know or have heard about E3 than ND. E3 has been around for years and is even covered by news channels.
I assume it`s more likely they will be interested in knowing about that than ND.

I think they could do a lot. They could have a press event, like I thought I mentioned here, somewhere else that would be cheaper and actual customers can come play the games too. They could at Nintendo of America have Reggie talk to us and sell us like he has shown to be able to do. There are so many choices.

And to be fair, Nintendo seems to be looking at these options. He used ND as an example not as a confirmation that is what they are planning. I just don't want Iwata talking to us. But I believe Reggie has in the past hosted a ND.

Also, Iwata I thought, could be wrong, said he is choosing to try to reach the gamer in a better way then what E3 usually does. So he no longer agrees that this is the best way to sell the Wii U, and that he believes he can come up with a better way to do that.

#38 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

I think they could do a lot. They could have a press event, like I thought I mentioned here, somewhere else that would be cheaper and actual customers can come play the games too. They could at Nintendo of America have Reggie talk to us and sell us like he has shown to be able to do. There are so many choices.

And to be fair, Nintendo seems to be looking at these options. He used ND as an example not as a confirmation that is what they are planning. I just don't want Iwata talking to us. But I believe Reggie has in the past hosted a ND.

Also, Iwata I thought, could be wrong, said he is choosing to try to reach the gamer in a better way then what E3 usually does. So he no longer agrees that this is the best way to sell the Wii U, and that he believes he can come up with a better way to do that.

I know he said that there wasn`t a finished plan. NDs, yes, but maybe something more, too.

A good way to start speculating! :)

I have only seen some tidbits from Reggie`s presentation as my NDs are either presented by Iwata or Iwata and Shibata. But from what i have seen he`s more laid back. I liked it. To be honest, don`t know if you saw it, but Shibata is also a nice presenter and that part with him singing was really funny!
Nintendo Direct also has it`s good times!

So for exemple, why not put all three to presente the Nintendo Direct? Ask developers to introduce their games and even comment on what they saw from the vídeos; ask Nintendo employees to pretend being Reggie or Iwata and present a little! That would be really funny to watch! ^_^

#39 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

According to Iwata, they will have the media conference, and an investor conference, rather than the single, one hour conference that is intended to address both.  The investor conference will be behind closed doors, the media will have a public conference and will also be taken aside beforehand to get an early peek at what will be announced throughout the conference and available for attendees.

#40 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

According to Iwata, they will have the media conference, and an investor conference, rather than the single, one hour conference that is intended to address both.  The investor conference will be behind closed doors, the media will have a public conference and will also be taken aside beforehand to get an early peek at what will be announced throughout the conference and available for attendees.

From NOA`s press release: "New this year at our booth in the LACC, prior to the show opening, we'll invite a small group of media to play our games".

The media event is not a conference, but only to let them play the games in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!