routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Retro Studios and Silicon Knights were tight back in the Gamecube days. Maybe Retro is collaborating (aside from making their own project) to make Shadow of Eternals? 

So it seems all of this just popped out of nowhere, but the site for the developer was registered in July last year.  No information anywhere is available other than the fact that it is the creators of Eternal Darkness, or at least one of them.

What trips me out is the name.

Retro = Something of or revived from the past

Precursor = Something that goes before, a forerunner

They aren't exact synonyms, but they can be used to describe similar things.  With all of the wordplay going on in game development these days its hard not to be looking for it.

Its very curious because the developer was unknown until today or yesterday, and now they are setting the internet on fire.

#22 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Eternal Darkness is Nintendo's property I think, but this is just the spiritual successor.

Shouldn't it still be payed by Nintendo?
Posted Image

#23 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Only if it is the actual sequel, and uses the same names, characters, environments, artwork, etc.

#24 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

I'm predicting Nintendo will publish and fund this title. 

#25 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'm with you.  I think this whole thing is a charade to guage interest in the title before announcing that it's either Retro's game, or that Retro helped create it with another studio.

#26 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

But then why are they asking for a kickstarter? That would mean Nintendo hasn't chosen yet to publish it themselves.

Posted Image

#27 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

But then why are they asking for a kickstarter? That would mean Nintendo hasn't chosen yet to publish it themselves.

Unless Nintendo was trolling us... It would be a great way to build hype, or to gauge it.

#28 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Unless Nintendo was trolling us... It would be a great way to build hype, or to gauge it.

If Nintendo is behind all this and this is all some sort of marketing hype, all the pc people are gonna be P*ssed . XD

Edited by meitantei_conan, 03 May 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#29 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

If Nintendo is behind all this and this is all some sort of marketing hype, all the pc people are gonna be P*ssed . XD

That's the beauty, what if Nintendo allowed the developer to develop and release it to PC?  PC people would be able to enjoy it but not other consoles, and on Nintendo terms, and would piss EA off.

#30 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

lol Nintentrolls... yea kickstarters are a great way to build hype indeed.

Posted Image

#31 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Shadow of the Eternals was confirmed for Wii U and PC, so it's semi exclusive, I'd still consider it an exclusive though since it's not for Xbox 360, PS3, or PS4. Still wished Nintendo published/ funded this game and maybe have Retro help with development. 

But... If Nintendo notices that they're kickstarting maybe they'll step in and publish it? Eternal Darkness WAS one of the best Gamecube games after all... 

Edited by RogueStatus28, 03 May 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#32 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Because Eternal Darkness was one of the best games on the GameCube
Because Eternal Darkness gained a massive fanbase
Because Eternal Darkness made a very innovative game
Because Eternal Darkness was an amazing adult game for a system everyone said was for kids.
Because this is a spiritual successor/sequel to Eternal Darkness

Because it's awesome.

this. Exactly what makes it a masterpiece.

Also the first Nintendo published title with a Mature rating.

How ridiculous, albeit unlikely, would it be if they were trolling everyone. Claiming the crowdfunding campaign will start on Monday then BAM! Nintendo Direct announcing Nintendo will publish the game.

My head would explode.

Wasnt that GEIST?
Posted Image

#33 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

This looks awesome, I wish I had played Eternal Darkness now.

#34 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

this. Exactly what makes it a masterpiece.

Wasnt that GEIST?

Geist came out three years later.

#35 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

DAMMIT YOU! XD I just posted this lol.  Still what i dont understand is why are they asking for funding? I thought this was a nintendo ip. :S

Its not. Eternal Darkness is but this is a different game probably based on that.

This will be a system seller

http://www.ign.com/v...-teaser-trailer

It looks like a good game but a system seller it wouldn't be.

Are you being serious?  If this game is console exclusive to Wii U and includes the insanity meter from Eternal Darkness I think people will get really excited.

I think you're giving it way too much credit. As I said its not a system seller.

#36 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

I mean, I can see why you would say a Mario or Zelda game is a system seller, but why this?

just shut up, BUY Eternal Darkness, PLAY the game, then come back and tell us this question again. Please go do that because it seems you know nothing about this game at all.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#37 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:53 AM

Go back and play the original and then imagine it updated for current generation.....then come back and answer your own question.

Btw I'm not seeing Mario moving many Wii U's

Thank you....it would be no different than Nintendo reviving any of their old beloved franchises.  When did 3DS' start to move?  When Kid Icarus came out that is when.

I have played the original and I can imagine it being updated for the current tech but that doesn't change things. It may move a few more Wii U's but its not going to make a significant impact.

No.

Only if it is the actual sequel, and uses the same names, characters, environments, artwork, etc.

Exactly.

#38 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Geist came out three years later.

Yup was about to edit my post as I searched for the answer. You beat me to it! GEIST was one messed up game... Deserved more than a "M" IMO... Although "M" is the max rating.
Posted Image

#39 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

Its not. Eternal Darkness is but this is a different game probably based on that.

It looks like a good game but a system seller it wouldn't be.

I think you're giving it way too much credit. As I said its not a system seller.

Look at the trailer, it pretty much is ED2, and based on what they've said about the kickstarter campaign so far it will play just like ED, This project was ED2 before they left SK.

I can't speak to whether it would be a system seller, as I think anything that comes as a console exclusive has the potential to be a system seller but only time can really tell.

#40 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

Yup was about to edit my post as I searched for the answer. You beat me to it! GEIST was one messed up game... Deserved more than a "M" IMO... Although "M" is the max rating.

Technically there ia AO, but no console manufacturer wants those games on their system.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!