Kyle1503

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Kyle1503
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

I really don't like age ratings! I don't think they should say you have to be this old to buy it , I think you should be any age your parents or yourself say and that they should just be a guide! Some 5 year olds probably play CoD and its there parents choice! AGE RATINGS ARE STUPID!

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Unfortunately, a small fraction of youngsters apparently get violent from violent video games. Having age ratings probably cuts down on violent acts slightly.

Edited by PotatoHog, 07 May 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#3 Kyle1503

Kyle1503

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Unfortunately, a small fraction of youngsters apparently get violent from violent video games. Having age ratings probably cuts down on violent acts slightly.

I agree! But still normal people wouldn't do that! I play mario bros u and I don't go jumping on mushrooms in real life! (Goombas)

Edited by Kyle1503, 07 May 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#4 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

I really don't like age ratings! I don't think they should say you have to be this old to buy it , I think you should be any age your parents or yourself say and that they should just be a guide! Some 5 year olds probably play CoD and its there parents choice! AGE RATINGS ARE STUPID!

I disagree. There is totally a need for age ratings on games and other media. You're missing the point. Most parents don't have a clue what the content of particular games is and whether its appropriate for their kids. The age rating is a guidance and meant to represent what kind of content is in the game.

#5 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

I think they are important. It lets a parent know what is in agame and if it is appropriate for their child. People who aren't mature shouldn't play mature games, because they start to become desensitized. An things like columbine and the sandy Hooke shooting happen.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#6 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, age ratings suck. I can't play Early Childhood games until i'm 3 :( What a load of BS

#7 Half

Half

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • NNID:HalfName
  • Fandom:
    Curse all fanboys/girls.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think age ratings are very important, but maybe they need to ease up on them a little.

FmEkJ2.gif

#8 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

What I find funny is that the E for Everyone rating actually means Everyone 6 amd up.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#9 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I never cared for the age rating, I bought all of my M rated games at gamestop when I was underage, because they were cool about it. The only problem is when 5 year old is playing CoD with a mic or something.

#10 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Blind Guardian, Elder Scrolls

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

in my opinion, age ratings does very little to prevent minors from playing mature and adult rated games as there are many other ways minors can acquire these types of games.  The reason I'm not fond of age ratings is because despite being a 26 year old man, most game store clerks still ask for my ID just because I don't look my age.

#11 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

A kid can still get an M rated game, just not without the consent of a legal guardian. They're really just guidelines. Necessary ones in my opinion, but some parents just don't care enough to monitor what their children do.

#12 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Doesn't matter in America since 60% of children get their hands on Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption. And yet they point the finger at videogames whenever someone dies. How embarrassing is that.

Edited by Julio93, 07 May 2013 - 03:47 PM.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#13 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

My parents are cool with M games, as long as there's no full nudity (partial is ok). Other than that, they never really cared: they let me play Melee and Star Wars Battlefront when I staryed playong video games, because they knew it was alright.

That being said, having my dad with me in MGS3 where you could look at EVA changing with the right shoulder button was awkward as hell.

Edited by TheUltimateWaddleDee, 07 May 2013 - 04:07 PM.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#14 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Doesn't matter in America since 60% of children get their hands on Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption. And yet they point the finger at videogames whenever someone dies. How embarrassing is that.

I assume you're American and have access to those stats

#15 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

16 year olds can't view the COD community on Miiverse.

#16 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

I assume you're American and have access to those stats

Yeah, cause I'm older than 17 to get that legally. Your point being?

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Yeah cos' this post is sooooooooo mature!!! How old are you OP? I guess you hate age rating cos' your too young to play certain games and your parent's won't buy them for you right?

#18 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

I agree! But still normal people wouldn't do that! I play mario bros u and I don't go jumping on mushrooms in real life! (Goombas)

Don't underestimate that. Some fast paced shooters (like CoD) make people nervous, then agressive. That does not only apply to shooters though. But really, the effects are real, but to a different extent depending on the person.
Posted Image

#19 Kyle1503

Kyle1503

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Yeah cos' this post is sooooooooo mature!!! How old are you OP? I guess you hate age rating cos' your too young to play certain games and your parent's won't buy them for you right?

That's not the point I'm trying to create! I'm saying maybe they should not give games such high ratings!

#20 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

The age ratings are for ignorant parents and the general public. What really matters is the list of reasons. THOSE need to be shown, not the letters. What might be fine to some parents could be the opposite with other parents. I really wish ESRB would change their system. Random letters don't do much.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!