Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

A few comments have been made, by me and others, about how the different forums are being crowded by threads that are literally just a link, or a link/video with a few words.  Could we have a forum just for the people who want to constantly post links/brief news items?  Ideally posting in that forum wouldn't add to a user's number of posts/rep/etc.  

We already have a News forum but it isn't updated very much, and only with the biggest news items.  

Or if others don't see a real difference between discussion threads and the now very common news/link threads, I'd be happy to hear another opinion.  

Edited by kokirii, 23 May 2013 - 10:11 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#2 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

No, It just looks lazy and unappealing to just link the article. I usually don't even post on the thread if it linked. The least you could do Is copy/paste what the article says then follow up by linking the article it self.

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#3 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

I dont think there is any problem with people posting about current affairs, but the problem is that most people on here just post a link and a quote. Why not give some of your own views on the matter to add to the discussion?

#4 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

This has been really buggin me lately! "Here is an article, thoughts." I would be rich if I had a dollar for every thread on this sight that said that! I wish people would talk about the article and summarize it; give their own insight on the matter, and ask a specific question. I think articles should only be used as a source, not the main point of the discussion! This is a good idea to put these link/news threads somewhere else. I hope Zinix reads this thread.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#5 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

I think we've struck a balance here now, I like it now it's calmed down a bit, I think we are ok for now to be honest dude :)

#6 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

I dont think there is any problem with people posting about current affairs, but the problem is that most people on here just post a link and a quote. Why not give some of your own views on the matter to add to the discussion?

^

Besides, many of the OPs can be considered spam, as it is just a link to begin with...

#7 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

I am far too lazy to click the link and then have to figure out how to navigate some strange unfamiliar site....

Links should be used at the bottom of the original post for citing purposes only, not the basis of an entire thread

Plus how do I know what site you sick freaks will be sending me to o_e

#8 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

I'm glad to see that there are others who feel the same or similarly.  

I think there's a potential copyright issue with people copying and pasting entire articles and then just linking to the original at the bottom, though I don't know the specifics of how that works.  

I really think that a news forum for users who want to post links (that doesn't add to post count - so we can see who really just likes to share the news with us) would be superior to the current Wii U News forum that is updated by "The Wii U.com's News Bot".  As it is, I'm sure many people on this site check other websites that are devoted to news on a regular basis, so it would be nice to keep these kinds of posts in one place and have the Games forum for, you know, threads that are for discussing games that are already out.  

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

Make the news section comment-able, problem solved.
Also, make wiiugo and wiiublog update more frequently by adding "writer" (copy-pasters).

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Also, make wiiugo and wiiublog update more frequently by adding "writer" (copy-pasters).

I'm considering possibly changing the news section and bot (possibly updating it).  But that requires asking feldo how he has the bot set up.

As for the Wii U Go and Wii U Blog, I have no access to them.  I am just admin of the forums...

#11 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm glad to see that there are others who feel the same or similarly.  

I think there's a potential copyright issue with people copying and pasting entire articles and then just linking to the original at the bottom, though I don't know the specifics of how that works.  

I really think that a news forum for users who want to post links (that doesn't add to post count - so we can see who really just likes to share the news with us) would be superior to the current Wii U News forum that is updated by "The Wii U.com's News Bot".  As it is, I'm sure many people on this site check other websites that are devoted to news on a regular basis, so it would be nice to keep these kinds of posts in one place and have the Games forum for, you know, threads that are for discussing games that are already out.  

As long as it is in a quote box and the source cited, theres no issue.

#12 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

I'm considering possibly changing the news section and bot (possibly updating it).  But that requires asking feldo how he has the bot set up.

As for the Wii U Go and Wii U Blog, I have no access to them.  I am just admin of the forums...

Are you allowed to comment on the updates you're considering?

wondering if would it be possible to allow regular users to post their links/copy-pastes in the News forum alongside the bot, and make all posts there comment-able?

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#13 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Are you allowed to comment on the updates you're considering?

wondering if would it be possible to allow regular users to post their links/copy-pastes in the News forum alongside the bot, and make all posts there comment-able?

I can't really comment as I'm not exactly sure what I'm planning yet.

That's one thing I'm considering, I'd just like to ask feldo how his bot works first (all threads are autolocked, so I don't know if it is just the bot that has permission to post or whatever).

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

I can't really comment as I'm not exactly sure what I'm planning yet.

That's one thing I'm considering, I'd just like to ask feldo how his bot works first (all threads are autolocked, so I don't know if it is just the bot that has permission to post or whatever).

Before he's said the section will be for the bot to just make posts there, as the purpose of the forum is to drive traffic to the blog for money.

I doubt he'd like what I suggested, but no harm in suggesting it.
What kokori says is a good idea too, allow people post their own threads alongside the bot.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

I asked for this back in December and the previous admin said that Feld0 wouldn't want that to happen due to it creating site traffic to flow in between the forums and the blog and blah blah blah

But hopefully you can use that Mournblade charm of yours to convince him that allowing us to post on the bot threads would be a good thing :3

Cuz lets face it, that Wii U news bot is the best thread maker on the forums

#16 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Before he's said the section will be for the bot to just make posts there, as the purpose of the forum is to drive traffic to the blog for money.

I doubt he'd like what I suggested, but no harm in suggesting it.
What kokori says is a good idea too, allow people post their own threads alongside the bot.

I asked for this back in December and the previous admin said that Feld0 wouldn't want that to happen due to it creating site traffic to flow in between the forums and the blog and blah blah blah

But hopefully you can use that Mournblade charm of yours to convince him that allowing us to post on the bot threads would be a good thing :3

Cuz lets face it, that Wii U news bot is the best thread maker on the forums

Well, I'll see what I can do once Feldo is back from his bronycon thing.

#17 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Here's a good example from this afternoon of why I created this suggestion thread: http://thewiiu.com/t...h-the-hardware/

It's literally just a link.  Nothing else at all.  That would be a bad post even in the News section.

Edited by kokirii, 25 May 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#18 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

^Yeah that's ridiculous. I know theres not a lot that can be done about these sort of things (especially since older members like Zinix do the same thing in the cafe section) but I just dont understand why people refuse to give their own views on the topic, even just a few sentences. Surely someone has to be interested in the story they are posting about, otherwise why would they post it in the first place?

#19 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

^Yeah that's ridiculous. I know theres not a lot that can be done about these sort of things (especially since older members like Zinix do the same thing in the cafe section) but I just dont understand why people refuse to give their own views on the topic, even just a few sentences. Surely someone has to be interested in the story they are posting about, otherwise why would they post it in the first place?

Usually zinix copies a quote too, which is fine imo.

If I make a news thread I use the first post to give the news details.

I post later on in the thread with my own views.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!