Photo

Will the WII U have a brand new sensor bar?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

I was just wandering with all this new hardware we are all talking about and love, if Nintendo have a brand new sensor bar, possibly with a camara or added new features they will reveal? We know the WII U will able to use the wii mote so a sensor bar will be included, i was just thinking it cant be the same as the old one? Thought please

#2 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

I don't believe so. the only thing relating to the new sensor bar is possible the sensor bar on the U controller, which has one built in.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#3 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

I new about the controlers sensor what with the bosses gong on about a golf ball etc, i just feel nintendo wud be missing a trick seeing how popular and useful (as an interface) kinect has been, also dev's who create games on kinect could also port them over to the WII U! just a thought

#4 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

The Wii U controller doesn't rely on a sensor bar to track movement, and for the Wii mote to make use of the new component would probably have the need of a harware upgrade.

http://wiiugo.com/wi...dnt-know-about/

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#5 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

I new about the controlers sensor what with the bosses gong on about a golf ball etc, i just feel nintendo wud be missing a trick seeing how popular and useful (as an interface) kinect has been, also dev's who create games on kinect could also port them over to the WII U! just a thought

There aren't any good games on Kinect. So why would Nintendo want them?

Edited by Lord N, 22 August 2011 - 07:45 AM.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

#6 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:57 AM

I agree but dev's wanna make money so its just a thought. I was more thinking for the control of menus, thats the only thing i like about kinect really, using ur hand to scroll through music, n films is good!

The Wii U controller doesn't rely on a sensor bar to track movement, and for the Wii mote to make use of the new component would probably have the need of a harware upgrade.

http://wiiugo.com/wi...dnt-know-about/

I hope so, it would be dissapointing to open up ur new wii u and find the same old sensor we got with the wii, the more i think about it the more i think nintendo have a surprise for us!

#7 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

I agree but dev's wanna make money so its just a thought. I was more thinking for the control of menus, thats the only thing i like about kinect really, using ur hand to scroll through music, n films is good!

I hope so, it would be dissapointing to open up ur new wii u and find the same old sensor we got with the wii, the more i think about it the more i think nintendo have a surprise for us!

It will be the same old sensor bar. You know why? Backwards compatibility with the Wii is vital for the system. How is Nintendo going to fix issues with the Wiimotes not picking up on old ones. Either they will be forced to sell new Wii remotes or they will use the old sensor bar. It's just simple logic really.
Plus, the tech behind the Wii's motion control is different from the tech used in Kinect. Kinect uses cameras, Wii uses Infrared. It would cost a crap load just to use both, so yeah, your hopes are just that. they are extremely unlikely to become reality

#8 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

There is "one" good game:

http://kotaku.com/58...xbox-360-kinect

#9 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

It will be the same old sensor bar. You know why? Backwards compatibility with the Wii is vital for the system. How is Nintendo going to fix issues with the Wiimotes not picking up on old ones. Either they will be forced to sell new Wii remotes or they will use the old sensor bar. It's just simple logic really.
Plus, the tech behind the Wii's motion control is different from the tech used in Kinect. Kinect uses cameras, Wii uses Infrared. It would cost a crap load just to use both, so yeah, your hopes are just that. they are extremely unlikely to become reality

Lord N is the N in your name for negative? Atech giant like nintendo would be able to improve and add to the old standard sensor easily, they already said it wouldnt be cheap, and im not expecting a freekin lazer show from it, i mearly think they wouldnt want to let microsoft be the king of motion control as nintendo were first!

#10 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

There is "one" good game:

http://kotaku.com/58...xbox-360-kinect

I meant Original game :P

Lord N is the N in your name for negative? Atech giant like nintendo would be able to improve and add to the old standard sensor easily, they already said it wouldnt be cheap, and im not expecting a freekin lazer show from it, i mearly think they wouldnt want to let microsoft be the king of motion control as nintendo were first!

1. N is the name of the major villian from Pokemon Black/White
2.You seem to not understand why Nintendo's always been so sucessful. Their products are usually cheaper then the competition. The only 2 products that cost more/equal to the competition at Launch was the 3DS and the Virtual Boy. Both systems ended up not being very successful. Plus, Nintendo I hope has learned from the 3DS's price. It will be cheap compared to whatever Microsoft and Sony make.
3. You lost all credibility by claiming that Microsoft is king of Motion Controls. Kinect is laggy as all hell, and you claim that it makes Microsoft the king of motion controls?
4. Next time, try to think before you even post. Your logic is more flawed then a trolls.

Edited by Lord N, 22 August 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#11 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

No, I would not want the Kinect to become the motion-control standard. You can't do titles like Mario or Zelda on it without making yourself extremely tired every 15 minutes, RPGs could work, but it doesn't seem likely that one would happen, FPS would honestly be really annoying to program, and Puzzle games might work...I imagine something like Jenga Kinect. The thing is, yes, the Kinect is cool. Is it the future of gaming? At this point in time, no. Unless they make some serious changes to it, I don't see it ever reaching the popularity the PSMove/Wiimote ever reached. (And those serious changes would require it becoming a heck of alot more expensive.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#12 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

There won't be a new sensor bar... In fact, it would be very VERY pointless.

The name is misleading. It does no sensing. All it is is an infrared light. That's it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#13 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

I can't see there being a new sensor. Nintendo might bundle the current Wii's sensor, but there's no reason for a new one. The only motion controls we know about for the Wii U will be the same Wii remote and add-ons that the Wii has. A new sensor bar would just unnecessarily increase the costs.

#14 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:13 AM

[If they use a new sensor bar] they will be forced to sell new Wii remotes or they will use the old sensor bar. It's just simple logic really.

It's not simple logic. They would have to go way out of their way just to make it not work. It's just two sets of inferred LEDs. You can replace the sensor bar with candles and it'd work (depending on light in the room, of course). It's nothing special.

Or are you not talking about what I think you are? You worded it badly.

#15 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:08 AM

In any case, the port on the back of the Wii U console is identical to the Wii's sensor bar port.

Wii U Rear.jpg

All signs point towards an identical sensor bar. I don't understand why there would have to be a new one, as there is no way it can be functionally different, and the Wii U retains the Wii's overall aesthetics.

#16 Funtendo Zii

Funtendo Zii

It´s a me, Mario !

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

What´s wrong With the current one ? also, I doubt that Nintendo will make "kinect-like" games, they don´t usually copy other´s, other gaming corp. copy them

#17 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

The thing with the Wii is that, Motion control was the gig.
The Wii U isn't being heralded as much as that. Sure, you have a bit of motion from the Wii U controller, but it's more about the power, wireless capabilities and the force of combining two different game styles: Core and Casual.

That said, I don't think they are going to redesign the sensor bar. It is as has been said, pointless.
Let's think about.
- The Wii U will have backwards compatibility with Wii devices.
- The Wii U controller doesn't need to actually aim at the screen, to aim (I think, based on the system in Colonial Marines, with the radar and all that).

When you combine those two together, the only real need for the Sensor Bar is Wii Remotes. I honestly don't know if the Wii U needs it, beyond backwards compatibility.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#18 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

I honestly don't know if the Wii U needs it, beyond backwards compatibility.

Multiplayer?

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#19 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

Yeah, I covered that in Backwards compatibility.

Because Wii Motes are old.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#20 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

I meant Original game :P

1. N is the name of the major villian from Pokemon Black/White
2.You seem to not understand why Nintendo's always been so sucessful. Their products are usually cheaper then the competition. The only 2 products that cost more/equal to the competition at Launch was the 3DS and the Virtual Boy. Both systems ended up not being very successful. Plus, Nintendo I hope has learned from the 3DS's price. It will be cheap compared to whatever Microsoft and Sony make.
3. You lost all credibility by claiming that Microsoft is king of Motion Controls. Kinect is laggy as all hell, and you claim that it makes Microsoft the king of motion controls?
4. Next time, try to think before you even post. Your logic is more flawed then a trolls.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH THERE!

1: im 32 i dont really play pokemon, my wife would leave me.
2: Things change people want different things, you say nintendo make cheaper than competition well heres 3 words for you 3.D.S! most expensive handheld EVER! (At launch) You may be completly broke or unable to save but i would rather pay an extra £50-£100 and get the very best that nintendo can do no matter how long i have to wait.
3: I dont claim there kings of motion control im just saying the interface is good.
4: Trolls??????????????????????????????????????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!