Photo

Smash for Wii U/3DS will not have a Story Mode. Reason: Cutscenes will End Up On

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

PN: In Brawl, he had a large focus on history, with notably the Subspace Emissary: the first mode 'History' of the series. Are you going to propose something similar in the new Smash Bros. ?

Sakurai: in fact, we do not expect to include a similar story mode this time. As you already know, Smash Bros. has a large number of different characters, which were entitled to their own cutscenes in the story Mode. These were supposed to be rewards for players finishing this mode with each of the characters.

I think it was something fun for the players, but at the same time, all the cutscenes finally found themselves on the internet. Players watched them online, which was not really sticking with what we had originally planned. It is for this reason that we are not going to do something similar this time.

Nevertheless, we expect well introduce new characters with cinematics of introduction, as we already did for the villagers of Animal Crossing Mega Man or even the coach WiiFit. We have several ongoing collaborations to propose several cutscenes of this kind there.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=604076

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Good, the  Subspace Emissary was terrible and it really sucked up Brawl's development. Hopefully we go back to Adventure Mode from Melee instead.

Edited by magiciandude, 25 June 2013 - 09:35 PM.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#3 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Sonic, Star wars, WWE , DBZ

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

POPULAR

I liked the Subspace Emissary :blush:

#4 Trash Waifu

Trash Waifu

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yes, it will. It's stated in the article there will be one. Just not the same at SSE.

Sakurai: in fact, we do not expect to include a similar story mode this time.

Edited by Rainbow Dash, 25 June 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#5 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Noooo! >.<

#6 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

What a pathetic piece of crap excuse.

Of course the scenes need up on the net. Everything does.

That's no excuse to reduce game features.

"Oh. The story will just end up on YouTube. So we won't make one..."

"The cutscenes are supposed to reward the player. So now we won't reward the player..."

Sounds like crap.

Nintendo is great.

But this is a step backward with a stupid excuse.

#7 Trash Waifu

Trash Waifu

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

PEOPLE. Read the interview. There is going to be a story mode; It just won't be like SSE. The topic title is incredibly misleading.

#8 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Edited by BrandedSwordsman, 20 May 2018 - 02:09 AM.

#9 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Take pride in the fact that we're getting this Smash Bros. Like RougeStatus28 said, Sakurai's in pain yet he's still working to give a Smash Bros. to us so soon. Don't complain about something that is be worked hard on, especially when the person doing it is hurt. Another thing, like Rainbow Dash said, he said the story mode won't be SIMILAR, that means we are going to have some kind of story mode, just not like it was in Brawl. And who knows, it could possibly have a story mode even better than Brawl's.

Edited by Villager, 25 June 2013 - 11:01 PM.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#10 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Edited by BrandedSwordsman, 20 May 2018 - 02:09 AM.

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Subspace was a nice way of unlocking all the characters without having to play for 5 million hours.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

Edited by BrandedSwordsman, 20 May 2018 - 02:10 AM.

#13 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

PEOPLE. Read the interview. There is going to be a story mode; It just won't be like SSE. The topic title is incredibly misleading.

Read the interview.

An incredibly toned down story that may not have cutscenes outside character intros, like EA fight night games.

Crap.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 26 June 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#14 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

"The cutscenes are supposed to reward the player. So now we won't reward the player..."

"we expect well introduce new characters with cinematics of introduction" Read the article.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#15 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

I liked the Subspace Emissary :blush:

I loved it and played it co-op with my cousin. 

There will be some kind of adventure mode tho, right?

No sig.

#16 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

Psh, I loved subspace. Especially the boss battles and I loved fighting Tabuu on hardest difficulty.
& I'm not trying to be rude, as I also respect Sakurai, but lets not act like he's the only developer who's been under alot of stress during the development of a game. Seriously...

Edited by NewEra KiiD, 26 June 2013 - 04:49 AM.

tumblr_mr2nvhlPCe1s1terdo1_500_zpsc92fde

PSN: Kallusiive // NNIDEX_NewEra

#17 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

I would expect the reason to be because of 3DS limitations, this reason is kinda BS to me
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#18 Distractionwolf

Distractionwolf

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

IDK Nintendo makes weird decisions and always has the weirdest justification. These articles I keep reading have me really scratching my head. I like these Nintendo games and I'm looking forward to them as is but...huh?

Your changing the story mode because people watched it on youtube? I don't...Are you saying your punishing players now because someone posted content online? I...are you Microsoft now? I don't....

Your not including an online mode for your game because... you...like to play.. with your kids...??? What??

In the words of the great Angry Nerd "What were they thinking?!?"

Interviewer: Do you like to eat bananas?

Nintnedo Rep: We are actually no longer eating bananas. It was discovered recently that chicken and rice is very tasty and once it rained on Tuesday. For this reason we feel bananas are not made of purple footy pajamas.

(this is what I hear whenever they try to talk to Nintendo)

Edited by Distractionwolf, 26 June 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#19 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

They already confirmed there will be an all new story mode in Smash, if they decide to find another way to tell the story without cutscenes I say all the better. They should be able to make the story telling elements more interactive and engaging rather than relying on cutscenes anyway. Don't we all kind if moan a little inside when a game has too many cutscenes that end up telling the story for us rather than letting us experience it?

#20 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

"we expect well introduce new characters with cinematics of introduction" Read the article.

You should read the article.

Intro isn't the same as story progression cutscenes.

They are not developing story-progressing cinematics.

That's way different than "character introduction."

Can't believe I need to spell it out...

Thanks for playing.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 26 June 2013 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!