Photo

Smash for Wii U/3DS will not have a Story Mode. Reason: Cutscenes will End Up On

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Distractionwolf

Distractionwolf

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

They already confirmed there will be an all new story mode in Smash, if they decide to find another way to tell the story without cutscenes I say all the better. They should be able to make the story telling elements more interactive and engaging rather than relying on cutscenes anyway. Don't we all kind if moan a little inside when a game has too many cutscenes that end up telling the story for us rather than letting us experience it?

You know I'm actually conflicted there. Metal Gear Solid used to be my favorite game series of all time. I've outgrown it I'm afraid and have become a bit more arcade, and it has become unbearable. There is so much I COULD do with snake but I never get to experiment with his moves because every 30 seconds of gameplay in spaced by a 30 minute codec conversation. Then I played Injustice, which is the first fighting game I played with a REAL story mode, it was amazing and the cut scenes were actually rewarding! Being a JLA fanatic helped with this I'm sure but for that very reason I would think Nintendo fanatics would get the same feeling from a story mode smash bros. In fact I believe it was Mark of Classic Game Room who said he felt Injustice was Smash bros. for DC comics fans. Makes sense.

Edited by Distractionwolf, 26 June 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#22 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

You should read the article.

Intro isn't the same as story progression cutscenes.

They are not developing story-progressing cinematics.

That's way different than "character introduction."

Can't believe I need to spell it out...

Thanks for playing.

Like you was JUST COMPLAINING ABOUT, you said they're aren't rewarding the player, am pretty sure a cinematic introduction is classed as a reward. Be less vague in your comments...

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#23 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

I wouldn't really care about this. I liked Subspace Emissary, but not for the story. The cutscenes were cool, but I can care less about them. It just saves up more space on the disc/card. I also liked Melee's Adventure Mode more; I don't know why, I just did.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#24 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

Like you was JUST COMPLAINING ABOUT, you said they're aren't rewarding the player, am pretty sure a cinematic introduction is classed as a reward. Be less vague in your comments...

I was clear about what I said.

It was you who confused the matter.

A REWARD is something you get for accomplishment. An introduction is by definition NOT a reward, since you don't "earn" it. It always there.

A cinematic that plays after you accomplish a certain task IS a reward.

Definition of reward:

"something given or received in return or recompense for service, merit, hardship, etc."

Spelling it out for you again... Might have to buy you a dictionary too.

It's ok to admit you were wrong.

Stop being a child.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 26 June 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#25 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

I was clear about what I said.

It was you who confused the matter.

A REWARD is something you get for accomplishment. An introduction is by definition NOT a reward, since you don't "earn" it. It always there.

A cinematic that plays after you accomplish a certain task IS a reward.

Definition of reward:

"something given or received in return or recompense for service, merit, hardship, etc."

Spelling it out for you again... Might have to buy you a dictionary too.

It's ok to admit you were wrong.

Stop being a child.

Unlocking new characters IS A REWARD, so what you're saying is that unlocking Sonic in SSBB isn't a reward. Is that what you are saying because it seems like it is. Unlocking Megaman and gaining a cinematic before he appears is DEFINITELY a reward... How can you not understand that???

#26 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

Honestly, I don't know what to think about this.......

#27 Xerocks

Xerocks

Red Koopa Troopa

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Deadly Premonition

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

I am so confused. So is there going to be a single player story mode experience? If yes, great. If no, then I'm just not buying it.

- Physical media forever!

#28 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

Good. Pre rendered cinematic cutscenes are a waste of time and money that could be spent making a better game.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#29 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

And it sucks he's feeling depressed "to the brink of death" because he's one of the most prestigious video game makers. He's a perfectionist trying to get this masterpiece out for these "fans" which take this for granted and completely disregard what he's going through.

"I don't care about his wrist... Naruto better be in there!"

I didn't know he was hurt.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

I am so confused. So is there going to be a single player story mode experience? If yes, great. If no, then I'm just not buying it.

Yes, there will be a story mode.

No, there wont be bloated pointless pre rendered fmv's every fight of said story mode.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

I don't understand the hate for Subspace Emissary then again i don't understand who people hated Brawl, i guess you can't please some people.

#32 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

Unlocking Megaman

Wut?

Either you are under the assumption that Mega Man will be an unlockable character, or you have knowledge that Mega Man is indeed an unlockable character....

TelL mE EV rYthINg YOu kNoW!

or die!

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#33 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

Wut?

Either you are under the assumption that Mega Man will be an unlockable character, or you have knowledge that Mega Man is indeed an unlockable character....

TelL mE EV rYthINg YOu kNoW!

or die!

Both 3rd party characters in brawl was a unlockable character, Also it would be rather weird if they just gave us Megaman from the start of the game since he's a special character.

#34 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

I wouldn't necessarily believe that.

Character unlocks have always been in the series, but one of the common trends on the fighting game scene is to have all characters readily available for tournament play. I wouldn't be surprised if there were unlockable characters in this title, but likewise I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

I also think he's been shown relatively early, and with a fair amount of depth, heck, probably more than any other character so far. That said, I'd actually find it terribly annoying to the consumer to give that much love for an unlockable character. I mean, when you choose to confirm the existence of Mega Man, and to that extent, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager over a series staple like Yoshi? What's up with that?!

The other thing that makes me believe the contrary is that the game will appear on two different platforms. I think it's a combination of general assumption and developer insight, that the 3DS is a personalised experience while the Wii U version is for competitive action. Also taking into account that Namco Bandai is also involved with the title, I would honestly believe that the Wii U will be intended as a character ready version. I wouldn't throw out the idea that the Wii U version will not have the unlockable character business just for this purpose alone.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#35 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

No story mode and not a giant roster. I'm still buying it but it looks disapointing so far.

Signature_DK.png

#36 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

I personally don't care about story mode. As long as multiplayer/online modes are topnotch, I'm satisfied. I only played the story/adventure mode when I was forced to in order to unlock characters.

#37 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

I personally don't care about story mode. As long as multiplayer/online modes are topnotch, I'm satisfied. I only played the story/adventure mode when I was forced to in order to unlock characters.

You can unlock all characters without even touching the story mode. Just do a buttload of VS matches.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#38 Klobb

Klobb

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi and Durant

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

Smash Bros. is about fighting, not story. I don't care if there isn't another Subspace mode, an Adventure Mode is good enough. Subspace was pretty silly, anyway.

If you think Smogon ban stuff

"Just because they can't beat it"

You clearly don't play OU

You clearly have no knowledge of the metagame

And you clearly don't deserve to have an opinion.

#39 ameritt

ameritt

Spiny

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

Because Super Smash Bros is best played by yourself right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!