Photo

Ex-Vigil employee who said " Wii U is horrible", now changed his mind.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

The news are out for a while now, but havent seen it here. So, I take the opportunity to make the topic first...  Why I posted it in the hardware section? Because he is the one who said " wii u is a horrible horrible cpu" ... remember? So its hardware related.

the source i took it from  http://mynintendonew...ne-about-wii-u/

and have a nice read..  http://cidergame.tum...iever-out-of-me

He also turned into an indie dev and makes exclusive games for wii U..! I think he is trying to apology himself and make a new start.

Edited by Plutonas, 27 June 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#2 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

It's refreshing to hear Nintendo is supporting developers. I would like to know these details he can't tell us. Which brings me to only one possible question: Why is ot secret? What is Nintendo doing that they think MS and Sony aren't?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Looks to me that he didn't really give the Wii U much of a chance back then, and now he's a indie dev who owns the Wii U he completely regrets what he said. Hey at least he's honest about how he feels about the Wii U compared to other people (not naming names, but should be obvious).

It's refreshing to hear Nintendo is supporting developers. I would like to know these details he can't tell us. Which brings me to only one possible question: Why is ot secret? What is Nintendo doing that they think MS and Sony aren't?

That's why it's confidential! 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Indie developers... They are supporting indie developers.

#5 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

SONY IS SUPPORTING INDIE DEVELOPERS.

HAVE YOU PEOPLE FORGOTTEN THAT?!

That was one of the big points of their E3.

I think if you read what he said, he mentioned Sony did support indie. He did call out Microsoft. So, unless your upset that people at a Nintendo forum is happy that a new developer is praising Nintendo for their efforts, I don't understand where your comment is coming from.

#6 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

SONY IS SUPPORTING INDIE DEVELOPERS.

HAVE YOU PEOPLE FORGOTTEN THAT?!

That was one of the big points of their E3.

Correct. Did you read the full story on the 2nd link from OP. The indie dev states the Wii U and PS4 will both be great consoles for indie devs, Xbox1 not so much.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#7 White Trite Chronicles

White Trite Chronicles

Freelance Police

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Indie developers... They are supporting indie developers.

There's where I was coming from.

I took Gamer's comment to mean that he thought Wii U was the ONLY console supporting Indie developers.

Which elicited my extreme over-reaction.

Edited by 3Dude, 27 June 2013 - 09:11 AM.

ecmB6v9.gif

PSN ID: TranceKujo. 

#8 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

I took Gamer's comment to mean that he thought Wii U was the ONLY console supporting Indie developers.

Ah I see. his comment was to point out that Nintendo seems to only be able to get support from indie devs. He can correct me if I am wrong.

The way I see it, a few years ago the difference between an indie dev, and "dev" might have been a lot.... but the stereotype that some have of indie devs not being able to push out innovative, quality, and polished games is all but nonexistent in 2013.

One of the reasons is many indie devs once worked for the big guns and either got laid off because of the down turn in the economy the last several years, or simply felt they would be better off bringing their ideas to the forefront. It's much easier and less expensive to develop now and be successful, then just a few years ago.

Edited by Sorceror12, 27 June 2013 - 09:20 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

He lost his job so had to lick some balls.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

Ninty's doin a pretty good job with Indie devs

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#11 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Nintendo has worked hard to get third party support on Wii U, but its Indie third party support that Nintendo has made strides in aquiring.  I think the "real" Indie developers out there are seeing the eshop as a very attractive place to be.  The Ouya and Apple store seem great, but great games can easily get lost in the piles of shovelware that will be on those services.  I think Indie developers will be able to take chances on unique experiences that utilize the gamepad in interesting ways, something that most major third party publishers wont take a risk on. 

#12 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Funny thing how he worked on Darksiders 2 and that was one of the better third party launch games that actually tried to improve on the original with more content, features, and slightly better graphics.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#13 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

No problem. ^_^

#14 White Trite Chronicles

White Trite Chronicles

Freelance Police

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Not entirely sure why 3Dude felt the encapsulating need to edit my post, but whatever.

ecmB6v9.gif

PSN ID: TranceKujo. 

#15 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

I remember his original comments, first thing I thought was "what an a$$" at least he has been swayed I suppose.

#16 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

What an idiot.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#17 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Nintendo has worked hard to get third party support on Wii U, but its Indie third party support that Nintendo has made strides in aquiring.  I think the "real" Indie developers out there are seeing the eshop as a very attractive place to be.  The Ouya and Apple store seem great, but great games can easily get lost in the piles of shovelware that will be on those services.  I think Indie developers will be able to take chances on unique experiences that utilize the gamepad in interesting ways, something that most major third party publishers wont take a risk on. 

That's the problem I have with the 3DS, there seems to be plenty of indie/small developer games on there but without demos I'm not willing to risk spending on them.  It might not seem a lot but on a limited budget I can't throw away the cost of games I might not like.  That is even more relevant when you consider second-hand AAA titles and Steam sales can cost the same as a lame indie game.  They really need to figure out a way to show us what is worth paying for.

That is where Microsoft did well on Xbox 360 as while I wasn't interested in the indie games (most of which were junk so I can see why Microsoft don't want to repeat that), the smaller developer ones (which were technically still indie but ones with a publisher so had to meet a minimum standard to get published) all had trial versions which led me to buying hundreds of titles on XBLA.  Ouya are trying a similar idea, but I can't see it working when 99% of the games will be indies and the platform is ill powered next to the beefy consoles. (although it definitely has its uses but its no mainstream console)

I worry that Nintendo and Sony may fail again on this as with such open support of indies it can only get worse.  Even with trial versions of all games, Ouya already has problems with trying to dig out the good from the average and downright bad.  That is with only a hundred or so titles as its very early days for that platform.  The same issue I had with indies on Xbox 360 which ultimately lead me to give up on it entirely.

So I can see why Microsoft is trying to avoid that problem by blocking self publishing entirely, although I agree that its the wrong way to address the problem.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#18 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Personally, I think this has been a trend with Nintendo consoles these past few years. Nintendo isn't afraid to put out there devices that are different, that might bring new people to gaming, even if it costs them some of the more "hardcore" audience, because they know, in the end, their contribution is what helps the gaming industry grow and develop further.

When the Wii was launched, the feedback was pretty much the same we're getting for the Wii U now. Same goes for the Nintendo DS and the 3DS. At first, everything new is always met with some kind of reluctance, there's a period of time where support for it is rough until people start getting used to the idea.

The problem with Wii U this time, and as Nintendo themselves has admitted, is the lack of good marketing. Nintendo has always excelled with marketing their products, but I think this time they've lost themselves a little bit too much on the 3DS. Also, I suspect that them being the first "next-gen" console is making them unsure about what to do next until Sony and Microsoft do their moves. They're being careful, but I miss the boldness that has always caracterized Nintendo.

I think E3 has finally shown us that the Wii U has a lot of unexplored potential, and it seems like things are finally moving to a good place, and I think slowly everyone else is starting to see it too.

It might take time but eventually Nintendo grows on everyone's hearts  ^_^

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#19 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

This seems to be what happens in most cases, people are skeptical about the Wii U, then they play it and love it.

I had some friends over for my birthday and when one of them asked me what we were going to do I told him we'd play the Wii U and he looked at me with distaste, almost horror, as if he suddenly thought me uncool.

After playing it he said to me, and I quote: "I really underestimated the Wii U, that was lots of fun!".

This is the only problem Nintendo has with the Wii U, they could advertise it as much as they wanted and people would look at the ads and think: "oh, they're paid actors, I bet it's not really that fun. What could a tablet controller add to my gaming experience anyway?", little do they know that the actors were actually a good representation of the fun that can be had playing the Wii U, sure their smiles look exaggerated, but I think while me and my friends were playing the Wii U our smiles must have been even bigger.

We played merely two games. NintendoLand, and Tank! Tank! Tank!.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#20 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

His view of the Wii U probably changed a lot when moving from working for a big developer to being an Indie developer.  When you look at what 95% of Indie games are doing, the Wii U can easily accomodate those titles.  There are very few Indie developers that are actually creating games that require more power than the Wii U has.  So when he was still working at Vigil, he probably thought they would be somewhat held back by the performance of the Wii U, now that he is developing in the Indie scene, where budgets and manpower are very relative, the performance is not really a concern.  Most of your Indie developers will be far more concerned about Nintendo's policies and their ability to self publish than they are about the Wii U not being as powerful as the PS4.  Thats the beauty of digital distribution.  Even with a fairly small market, if there is the potential to sell even 25,000 copies of your game, that can be extremely profitable when cost of development is very low, and most Indie companies keep development cost pretty low.  When developers are already developing thier games for tablets/smart phones, or even for Steam, if the cost to port to Wii U is inexpensive, and it should be, then it makes little sense not to bring the game to Wii U. 

Nintendo's eshop is darn near as friendly as the Ouya.  Nintendo's requirements are a little more strict, but thats probably a good thing, it will keep the shovelware that makes up 90% of the Apple and Android market from cluttering up the eshop.  At some point more is not better.  Nintendo still wants to have quality content on their eshop.  Any "quality" developer that is working on games for Ouya should also be looking at the Wii U.  The Wii U can run anything the Ouya can without breaking a sweat.  In some ways, the Wii U could position itself to be a console that a lot of Ouya consumers upgrade to.  With Nintendo striking the Unity deal, that should start to really increase the number of games coming to the eshop over the next year or so.  Nintendo has made a lot of great moves for their eshop, and it seems more and more Indies are gravitating towards the platform.  Now we just need the Indie market to grow to a point where its not 90% 2D side scroller games.  There are a lot of genre's that have been nearly forgotten over the past 10 years, and I would love to see some small developers fill that void. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!