#41 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

Fallout 3, Skyrim and Borderlands 2(Which I think the Wii U  is capable of handling).

Sorry to burst the dream but even if you call up Microsoft they probably wouldn't sell due to them actually still using the company. Also if they know that Rare is worth someone to nintendo fans, they would probably increase the asking price and that would be if they were selling in the first place. As much as I want it to happen I think Publishers should not get involved in the Developer's work.

Skyrim is rpg (western) but fallout and borderlands aren't, they are shooter/action games With rpg elements... u can't call any game with rpg elements an rpg

Eh, it's really hard to label RPGs nowadays, but your original question was what ARPG stood for, and it's an Actiom RPG. A better example may have been Mass Effect.

I know what action rpg is but i forgot what Arpg is, but again mass effect is Not an rpg, action shooter WITH rpg elements

#42 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

Skyrim is rpg (western) but fallout and borderlands aren't, they are shooter/action games With rpg elements... u can't call any game with rpg elements an rpg

I know what action rpg is but i forgot what Arpg is, but again mass effect is Not an rpg, action shooter WITH rpg elements

Mass Effect 1 kinda was, but this is the problem that RPGs have today; when they try to evolve, especially JRPGs, they end up becoming action games.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#43 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

the Term Role playing game has LONG lost it's meaning ever since people started calling JRPGs RPGs. technically WRPGs are the only video games that can be considered true role playing games but now stats and a lv system are the only requirements [sigh].  

anyways if people are going to call games like final fantasy RPGs then kingdom hearts is just as much of an RPG.

Japan invented RPG that's why they are called Jrpg's... western rpgs aren't really as good plus in the west they started using rpg term with almost everything which is Wrong, u Can't call a shooter game like borderlands 2 an rpg, it got some elements and features from an rpg sure but it is Not an rpg it's still a shooter

Mass Effect 1 kinda was, but this is the problem that RPGs have today; when they try to evolve, especially JRPGs, they end up becoming action games.

Jrpg's got their own styles but it depends on the style of the game it doesn't have to be a turn based to be called a jrpg

and mass effect is a action TPS game not an rpg

do some research, your knowledge is severely lacking.

RPG's started in Japan he's right

#44 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Japan invented RPG that's why they are called Jrpg's... western rpgs aren't really as good plus in the west they started using rpg term with almost everything which is Wrong, u Can't call a shooter game like borderlands 2 an rpg, it got some elements and features from an rpg sure but it is Not an rpg it's still a shooter

Jrpg's got their own styles but it depends on the style of the game it doesn't have to be a turn based to be called a jrpg

The thing is, it is nearly impossible to label something as a true RPG, except things like Pokemon, Tales of, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and all the other classic big names. Borderlands is an FPSRPG, Mass Effect is a TPSRPG, Kingdom Hearts is a Hack and Slash RPG, and Super Paper Mario is a Platformer RPG. The RPG expanded into many sub-genres, so it's hard to tell what is a true RPG unless it tries to be like a classic JRPG.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue

#45 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

At the least, they should just develop games for the 3DS like they did with the DS. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#46 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

The thing is, it is nearly impossible to label something as a true RPG, except things like Pokemon, Tales of, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and all the other classic big names. Borderlands is an FPSRPG, Mass Effect is a TPSRPG, Kingdom Hearts is a Hack and Slash RPG, and Super Paper Mario is a Platformer RPG. The RPG expanded into many sub-genres, so it's hard to tell what is a true RPG unless it tries to be like a classic JRPG.

The naming is wrong, shooters are shooters , mario isn't an rpg it's a platformer, mass effect is a tps shooter

would u call Black Ops 2 an rpgg just cuz it got lvling and rpg elements? no, it's all wrong

Kingdom Hearts IS a JRPG, as i said it doesn't have to be a turn paced to be called a jrpg, if it's fast paced doesn't mean it's an action / adventure game

#47 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

The naming is wrong, shooters are shooters , mario isn't an rpg it's a platformer, mass effect is a tps shooter

would u call Black Ops 2 an rpgg just cuz it got lvling and rpg elements? no, it's all wrong

Kingdom Hearts IS a JRPG, as i said it doesn't have to be a turn paced to be called a jrpg, if it's fast paced doesn't mean it's an action / adventure game

I wouldn't call BLOPS2 an RPG because it doesn't have RPG elements. In Borderlands, the massive amount of weapons in the game all have their own stats in accuracy, damage, and range, as well as abilities such as elemental weapons, faster reloads, etc. The 4 characters you pick at the start of the game all have their own strengths amd weaknessess, as well as their own abilities. When you level up, you pick skills to level up and improve to gain new abilities.

I'm the end of the day, this won't get solved because how much does a game need to be <insert genre here> with RPG elements, and how much does it need to be considered an RPG?

KtOSpy7.jpg

#48 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

I wouldn't call BLOPS2 an RPG because it doesn't have RPG elements. In Borderlands, the massive amount of weapons in the game all have their own stats in accuracy, damage, and range, as well as abilities such as elemental weapons, faster reloads, etc. The 4 characters you pick at the start of the game all have their own strengths amd weaknessess, as well as their own abilities. When you level up, you pick skills to level up and improve to gain new abilities.

I'm the end of the day, this won't get solved because how much does a game need to be <insert genre here> with RPG elements, and how much does it need to be considered an RPG?

ok if black ops 2 got all those features and elements then u'd call it an rpg? it's just wrong sorry 

i played borderlands 2 too btw and it's still a shooter

#49 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

ok if black ops 2 got all those features and elements then u'd call it an rpg? it's just wrong sorry

i played borderlands 2 too btw and it's still a shooter

If it had weapon stats and abilities that was actually worth a damn, a level-up/ability system, quests, as well as character stats/abilities, then yes: I would call it a first-person shooter RPG. The clear-cut RPG rarely exists now; they are hybrids with other genres. You mentioned Fallout in an earlier post and called that a shooter, yet if it was judged as a shooter it would be an awful shooter. It has perks and skills that you can level up like in other Elder Scrolls games, a quest system nearly identical to Elder Scrolls games, an identical companion system like in Elder Scrolls, there is a reason why Fallout 3 was called Oblivion with guns; the only thing separating the two is the theme of the game.

KtOSpy7.jpg

#50 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

sloth-no.gif

#51 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

If it had weapon stats and abilities that was actually worth a damn, a level-up/ability system, quests, as well as character stats/abilities, then yes: I would call it a first-person shooter RPG. The clear-cut RPG rarely exists now; they are hybrids with other genres. You mentioned Fallout in an earlier post and called that a shooter, yet if it was judged as a shooter it would be an awful shooter. It has perks and skills that you can level up like in other Elder Scrolls games, a quest system nearly identical to Elder Scrolls games, an identical companion system like in Elder Scrolls, there is a reason why Fallout 3 was called Oblivion with guns; the only thing separating the two is the theme of the game.

Still wrong, they are shooters With RPG elements but not rpg's

Skyrim/Elder Scrolls is rpg (wrpg) but yeah, im talking about the use of the term "RPG" for example u used that with a mario game

#52 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

Still wrong, they are shooters With RPG elements but not rpg's

Skyrim/Elder Scrolls is rpg (wrpg) but yeah, im talking about the use of the term "RPG" for example u used that with a mario game

You're right that I screwed up with Super Paper Mario, but Fallout 3 would probably be the worst FPS ever if it was treated like an FPS, but it's not. You don't seem to realise that with the exception of a few, there is no such thing as a clear-cut RPG, at least from Western Developers.Thw RPG has split into many sub-genres, and in my opinion, it's better for it as it brings diversity. But we have gone way off topic of this thread, so we should probably stop.

KtOSpy7.jpg

#53 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

You're right that I screwed up with Super Paper Mario, but Fallout 3 would probably be the worst FPS ever if it was treated like an FPS, but it's not. You don't seem to realise that with the exception of a few, there is no such thing as a clear-cut RPG, at least from Western Developers.Thw RPG has split into many sub-genres, and in my opinion, it's better for it as it brings diversity. But we have gone way off topic of this thread, so we should probably stop.

the term RPG could be used with any game that got the elements but what im saying is for example u can't call fallout just an rpg cuz it's originaly a shooter so u can use the tern shooter/rpg but not just rpg alone 

and some games can't be called rpg's 

sure western devs call some games rpg's but some of them aren't really rpg's

anyways i just replying cuz u keep quoting me lol

#54 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

the term RPG could be used with any game that got the elements but what im saying is for example u can't call fallout just an rpg cuz it's originaly a shooter so u can use the tern shooter/rpg but not just rpg alone
and some games can't be called rpg's

sure western devs call some games rpg's but some of them aren't really rpg's

anyways i just replying cuz u keep quoting me lol

I'm replying for the same reason, and I agree that not all so called Western RPGs are RPGs; I think Mass Effect 2 and 3 are glorified shooters as they dropped RPG bits from each game onward. Also, it seems you don't know your Fallout history very well, as the first two games did not feature a first person view.

KtOSpy7.jpg

#55 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

I'm replying for the same reason, and I agree that not all so called Western RPGs are RPGs; I think Mass Effect 2 and 3 are glorified shooters as they dropped RPG bits from each game onward. Also, it seems you don't know your Fallout history very well, as the first two games did not feature a first person view.

yes i know about fallout

#56 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

RPG came around from the 1970's from Table-Top Role Playing Games and that was American.

#57 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

RPG came around from the 1970's from Table-Top Role Playing Games and that was American.

No, RPG came from Japan.

#58 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

No, RPG came from Japan.

Well can you provide me the link to prove when the first RPG came out in Japan please? Because the Westerns one came out in the early 1975. Anyways I not arguing with you but I find RPG so interesting so I would like to know the history about its creation and origins.

Here is some links:

dnd:

http://en.wikipedia....nd_(video_game)

Dungeon:

http://en.wikipedia....on_(video_game)

Also Dungeons and Dragons which is a TTRPG,Which came out in (1974):

http://en.wikipedia....geons_&_Dragons

Edited by The Green Ranger, 01 July 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#59 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well can you provide me the link to prove when the first RPG came out in Japan please? Because the Westerns one came out in the early 1975. Anyways I not arguing with you but I find RPG so interesting so I would like to know the history about its creation and origins.

Here is some links:

dnd:

http://en.wikipedia....nd_(video_game)

Dungeon:

http://en.wikipedia....on_(video_game)

Also Dungeons and Dragons which is a TTRPG,Which came out in (1974):

http://en.wikipedia....geons_&_Dragons

but im not talking about the board games im talking about the video games

also... since u brought that up...

In 16th century Europe, traveling teams of players performed a form of improvisational theatre known as the Commedia dell'arte, with stock situations, stock characters and improvised dialogue. In the 19th and early 20th century, many board games and parlour games such as the game Jury Box included elements of role-playing. Mock trials, model legislatures, and the "Theatre Games" created by Viola Spolin arose, in which players took on the roles of characters and improvised, but without the formalised rules which would characterise modern role-playing games.[7]

There is some evidence that assassin-style games may have been played in New York city by adults as early as 1920. A simple version in which an assassination was performed by saying, "You're dead," was mentioned in Harpo Marx's autobiography, Harpo Speaks!, in a section covering the 1920s.

In the 1960s, historical reenactment groups gave rise to "creative history" games, which probably originate with the founding of the Society for Creative Anachronism in Berkeley, California on May 1, 1966. A similar group, the Markland Medieval Mercenary Militia, began holding events on the University of Maryland, College Park in 1969. These groups were largely dedicated to accurately recreating medieval history and culture, however, with only mild fantasy elements, and were probably mostly influenced by historical re-enactment.

Edited by Hitomi, 01 July 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#60 intheworldofnim

intheworldofnim

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

you don't know what your talking about, first of all RPGs date all the way back to 1975. yeah they were board games but they went by the very premis that they were ROLE PLAYING GAMES, MEANING you as the player had an actual role in the story. in RPGs you make CHOICES that change and shape how NPCs react to you and certain parts of the story. when you take that element away, it is NOT a ROLE PLAYING GAME. JRPGs lack the very thing that's makes RPGs ROLE PLAYING GAMES. in JRPGs you don't make choices, you don't live that character, you did not create that character. the story and character are predefines. Mass effect is an RPG, the fact that its also a shooter is irrelevant because it contains what makes rpgs rpgs, and that's the ROLE PLAYING. JRPGsd have NONE of that. stats and a lving system doesn not make an RPG.

watch this video, this guy actually knows what he's talking about. he is taking passages from a published book on Role playing games

also Bioware developer says JRPGs are not really rpgs

http://www.strategyi...-13-isnt-an-rpg

Edited by intheworldofnim, 01 July 2013 - 07:40 PM.

purpleSwag-600x367-300x183.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!