Photo

3DS Second Circle pad complaints? Read this first!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

http://www.gamefaqs....14-3ds/60254265

Rage has exploded across the internet due to people assuming that the addon confirms a remake (A certain 3DS buzz editor isn't helping >.>), so I'm going to post this here to prevent people from acting rash...

If you have ANY complaints about the 3DS circle pad addon, read the linked Gamefaqs topic above. For lazy people, I'll quote the tl;dr here:

So Zanimar, I don't want to read, just give me the gist of all this.

In closing, there is nothing to fear and this addon does not spell doom for the 3DS but instead shows that Nintendo is putting forth more effort in a single model instead of just doing redesigns. The addon is simply nothing more than an option of control for those who want more traditional controls, much like how things were done with the Wii. Very few, if any games will require it and even few will be games worth getting.

The following is a list of conclusions that I have stated in this topic about what I've gathered from all the info mentioned of the addon and Nintendo's own history in dealing with their systems and addons.

- The addon is purely optional and offers an alternative control method for those who want more traditional controls instead of the touch screeen.

- The addon will be required for very few games and even fewer will be games worth getting.

- There will not be a redesign that will incorporate the second pad as it there is far more negative than positive to such a path.

- There is now an even less chance of any sort of redesign as Nintendo shows the 3DS is a modular system and so any idea that would be used for a redesign (except for a 3DS XL) could be incorporated as an optional addon and thus making a single, customizable 3DS as opposed to several models of 3DS and having the consumer "settle" for the one with the most features that appeal to him.

If you want to hear the detailed reasons, please read the thread. I can only see this as a good sign for the 3DS :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#2 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:08 PM

Thank you! someone should have posted this sooner.
Posted Image

#3 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

Thank you! someone should have posted this sooner.

You're welcome! (Though most of the thanks should go to Zanimar :P) You can help by spreading this to other places, don't want this to get too out of hand...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#4 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

You're welcome! (Though most of the thanks should go to Zanimar :P) You can help by spreading this to other places, don't want this to get too out of hand...

That's what I plan on doing right now!
(p.s. I didn't recognize you at first Wertville. lol)
Posted Image

#5 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

That's what I plan on doing right now!
(p.s. I didn't recognize you at first Wertville. lol)

(That just means it's a convincing cosplay :)
...Though the sig should give it away :P )
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#6 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

(That just means it's a convincing cosplay :)
...Though the sig should give it away :P )

(Yep, your signature is exactly what gave it away. I was about to ask you haw you could have over 600 posts and I not see a single one of them. lol:laugh: )
Posted Image

#7 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

That basically sums up what I thought of the second circle pad.

Edited by zxride64, 07 September 2011 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#8 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

I posted this in the Zelda dungeon forum.
Posted Image

#9 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

The addon will be required for very few games and even fewer will be games worth getting.

Well that doesn't sound very promising for those who actually invest in it :/
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#10 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

The addon will be required for very few games and even fewer will be games worth getting.

Well that doesn't sound very promising for those who actually invest in it :/

Well, not only do rumors say that it will only cost around $10, but I have to point out that they speculate that there will be few games where it is required. It says nothing about games simply use it, and Monster Hunter itself has apparently confirmed that it is 100% playable without. The classic controller is the same way, but many hardcore Brawl and MH players won't play without it!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#11 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

Well this is somewhat of a relief. Thanks for posting.

#12 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

http://www.gamefaqs....14-3ds/60254265

Rage has exploded across the internet due to people assuming that the addon confirms a remake (A certain 3DS buzz editor isn't helping >.>), so I'm going to post this here to prevent people from acting rash...

If you have ANY complaints about the 3DS circle pad addon, read the linked Gamefaqs topic above. For lazy people, I'll quote the tl;dr here:

If you want to hear the detailed reasons, please read the thread. I can only see this as a good sign for the 3DS :D

All my bad mood, disappointment and me being a little annoyed is gone as I see this now.
Now I understand what Nintendo is doing, and I gotta say that they actually made a smart decision, as many people (I think it's a lot, but I'm not one of them) were complaining that the 3DS only had 1 Circle pad...

This add-on circle pad should make those people happy :)

#13 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

I don't think this will be too much of a big deal since I believe in Ninty. :)
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#14 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

Cause if they redesigned i would never trust a Nintendo system again. it would screw me over for this entire gen if games i liked needed the 2nd pad

1367065580450s.jpg

#15 Oni-Link

Oni-Link

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Fandom:
    Phantasy star,Kingdom hearts,pokemon,Loz

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

Well, at least they didn't make a Remake handheld with the second circle pad, i might gladly buy this add on, as long as its Ok to hold in my hands that is.
Posted Image

#16 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

All my bad mood, disappointment and me being a little annoyed is gone as I see this now.
Now I understand what Nintendo is doing, and I gotta say that they actually made a smart decision, as many people (I think it's a lot, but I'm not one of them) were complaining that the 3DS only had 1 Circle pad...

This add-on circle pad should make those people happy :)

I kinda find that last bit funny, due to how people have reacted. Like so:

Nintendo: And here's the 3DS! (Ragehaters see one circle pad)
RageHaters: NINTENDO! WAI U NO HAVE 2 CIRCLE PADS ON UR SYSTEM!

Later on:

Nintendo: Well, here's an attachment for the 3DS that gives it 2 circle pads...
RageHaters: NINTENDO! WTH YOU DOING? DIS IS BETRAYAL TO UR CUSTOMARS! U SUK! ITS GOING TO COST $50?!?!?!? I'M SWITCHNIG TO THE VITA FOR THIS!!!!1!!!

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#17 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

I kinda find that last bit funny, due to how people have reacted. Like so:

Nintendo: And here's the 3DS! (Ragehaters see one circle pad)
RageHaters: NINTENDO! WAI U NO HAVE 2 CIRCLE PADS ON UR SYSTEM!

Later on:

Nintendo: Well, here's an attachment for the 3DS that gives it 2 circle pads...
RageHaters: NINTENDO! WTH YOU DOING? DIS IS BETRAYAL TO UR CUSTOMARS! U SUK! ITS GOING TO COST $50?!?!?!? I'M SWITCHNIG TO THE VITA FOR THIS!!!!1!!!

But what about those of us who never cared about the second circle pad?

I never saw it as a necessary addition at all. While I wouldn't have hated it if it were there from the beginning, I'm not necessarily happy about the idea of needing some tacky add-on just to play some games.

What the original topic said here was just speculation. Who is to say that Nintendo won't come out with a redesign that will incorporate the second pad and then make games to work only for that 3DS? I don't buy the redesigns. All of the DS redesigns were worthless to me, and I never needed them.

I don't want to think that after getting a $250 handheld console that I'd be required to upgrade to be able to play games made for that same line of systems. I saw earlier that this Monster Hunter game is not the only place they're interested in incorporating it, I also saw something about them wanting to do it with MGS as well.

I'm not much of a third party gamer, but I could just see the new KH requiring it. =/

"Very few, if any games will require it and even few will be games worth getting."

And there they admit it. What games it will require that will be worth getting might not be an opinion we all share.

Edited by Envy, 09 September 2011 - 03:02 PM.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#18 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

I never saw it as a necessary addition at all. While I wouldn't have hated it if it were there from the beginning, I'm not necessarily happy about the idea of needing some tacky add-on just to play some games.

What the original topic said here was just speculation. Who is to say that Nintendo won't come out with a redesign that will incorporate the second pad and then make games to work only for that 3DS? I don't buy the redesigns. All of the DS redesigns were worthless to me, and I never needed them.

I don't want to think that after getting a $250 handheld console that I'd be required to upgrade to be able to play games made for that same line of systems. I saw earlier that this Monster Hunter game is not the only place they're interested in incorporating it, I also saw something about them wanting to do it with MGS as well.

I'm not much of a third party gamer, but I could just see the new KH requiring it. =/

"Very few, if any games will require it and even few will be games worth getting."

And there they admit it. What games it will require that will be worth getting might not be an opinion we all share.

You...pretty much stated how I myself felt about it. Yes, it is probably not going to be used for a whole lot of games, but chances are, the games that it will be required for will have a bundle with the 2nd circle pad included. However, I do doubt that any games (except Monster Hunter) will require it.

Edited by Gamecollector44, 09 September 2011 - 03:34 PM.

GameZombie44.png

#19 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

(You never wanted a DS lite :o
Joking, of course. :P )

You said it right there. That word. Which one? 'Speculation.' This is speculation based on history and business logic, as well as what's being seen in the future. Nintendo, as a business, would not commit commercial suicide by releasing a 3DSX anytime soon. Christmas sales would be horrible and, at best, their stocks wouldn't change.

But... Let's entertain the 'what if' situation just for a bit. Let's say Nintendo announces at the September event that a 3DSX would be released... i don't know... November? Let's go with that. So it launches in November, alongside MH3 and the peripheral. We'll go best case scenario here and say that Nintendo didn't lose a bunch of stock and no one is really too mad at them. Can we assume that 25-30% of games will require a second stick now? Maybe... But let's look a bit closer.

There are currently just over 5 million 3DS' in the world. Come november, even if a 3DSX was announced in a few days, that number will probably rise to at least 6 million. Do you honestly think that a developer would make a game that 6 million people can't play? Sure, a few people will buy the peripheral... And the 3DSX will get some sales... but the userbase is worse than a launch. No sane developer would hinder themselves that much, and they are likely to make the second pad optional. Not even MH3 requires it, and it's the game the add-on is being built for! It's being shown right now that devs won't make a game with a small userbase, and that's not likely to change any time within the next year. So can we now assume that it will take a year or so before games start requiring it? Once again, maybe... But let's have an even closer look.

Imagine you're an informed gamer who is shopping for a 3DS. Nintendo won't stop selling the normal 3DS, at the worst until stocks run out, so you see two 3DS' for sale. One's the 3DS that we all know an love. Due to the redesign, it would have gotten a price drop. Say $150? Next to it you see the 3DSX. You've read up a lot about it online, and you know that it doesn't have too much enhancement, just a slightly longer battery life, better screen protection and the circle pad 2. It costs $200. So what are you going to do? You may or may not care about having the CP2, but $50 is a lot more... Especially in this economy. Heck, $20 would be. I'm not sure which one you would pick, but to many people the normal 3DS would just plain look like a better deal. So that means that for every 1 3DSX sold, at LEAST 1 3DS would be sold. By the time the 3DSX reached 1 million, the 3DS would be at 8 or 9. So does that mean we will start to see more exclusivity 2-3 years after the launch of the redesign? Maybe sales would pick up after Nintendo makes several exclusive games? Let's look down just a biiit more...

What Nintendo would have gone through pretty tough financial times pushing this 3DSX. Not only would they take a loss by dropping the price of the remaining 3DS units, as well as spend millions in marketing AGAIN, they would barely be making a profit from the new design. Adding a stronger battery and a second plastic circle would increase the costs by $10-15, and the amount of profit they would have to let stores have would be a slightly larger amount. Theres no way they could make a profit from the redesign alone; they would be stuck in the same situation as developers. While they might be able to push one team onto the job, most of the games would not force the redesign/addon. They simply would not be able to afford it. What does this mean? No more looking closely, I have the answer right here:

The 3DSX, or whatever the redesign would be called, would be about as forced as the DSI... While it can play certain games with extra features, very few games have them, let alone use them as a requirement. Risks costs money, and alienating the majority of the fanbase is one cost that no developer can afford, whether they have luck left to heaven or not.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#20 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

@Gin: Thank you ever so much for posting that. :)

GameZombie44.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!