Photo

Nintendo and the next generation of Handhelds.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

How about in 2017 kk

794144.png?13383682

#22 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Not releasing a handheld every 9 months, but at least slightly updating the specs or offering something new to the table to breathe more life into their handheld. Nintendo has billions of dollars in their bank, they can afford to do this. They can essentially make up for the loss with Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, DK, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Metroid, etc New IPs like Dillion, Art Academy, Sakura Samurai, etc) Compared to the 3DS, the 2DS is gigantic. In terms of width.

First of all, the 2DS's dimmensions are prettg much identical to the 3DS if you fold it out all the way. Just as tall, and just as wide.

Second, there's no need for a new handheld now, because it would divide the market and bring any future success the 3DS would have to a halt. If dividing the market wasn't am issue, then we would have our dual circle pad 3DS now. There's no serious competition to the 3DS right now, as the Vita is still the Persona 4 Golden box right now and no one buys a smartphone/tablet specifically for gaming, unless you're the Razer Edge tablet and cost a buttload of money. You don't have the control that face buttons and a circle pad will give you (nobody will use a third-party controller outside of the house), and while the games are much cheaper, they rely on micro-transactions to get anywhere and are of much lower quality than even an eshop game.

Also that hardware gap you are talking about? That's only the resolution; the 3DS is better everywhere else. The best looking game is either Infinity Blade or Modern Combat 4, and Resident Evil Revelations looks better than both of them.

There's no need for a new handheld anytime soon, as Nintendo still hasn't done all of their franchises and new ip's that they may do. Monolith Soft is also working on an RPG for the 3DS, and they said they were working on a new ip. I see the 3DS lasting until 2017, because I don't see any reason why they should make a new one.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#23 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

technically the 2DS was the new hardware, and it is exactly what Nintendo needs: a cheaper 3DS.

I still believe we'll see a major new console in 2015 or so. Nintendo has been releasing new major handheld consoles every 3-4 years and the 3DS came out in 2011. The 2DS may delay the new console, but I don't think by much.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#24 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Already? I think, they need to give it some time. For their next handheld, they need to make a hybrid. A crossbreed of Gamestick and Vita. The handheld of a Vita, but the ability to play games in your pocket and on the big screen. This will allow for them to focus on a single device so they can pump out games very fast. Nintendo games are what sells Nintendo consoles and with a plethora of development studios focusing on one console, its a great idea. They can even still use the cross-screen idea. Nintendo's lack of selling a modern home console without a gimmick is evident. So having a handheld and a crap-ton of games would work very well. Just my 2 cents.

I think its too soon, the 3ds is still fairly new and to reveal it so early may decrease sales of the 3DS.

I think you might be spot on. If they can get a HD handheld in the next 4 years or so I think it would be wise to have a machine that merges the 2. Think how the gamepad is now.

Depends how bad the Wii U continues to do really.

#25 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

I think they should announce a handheld that has more functionality outside the game- make it more like a tablet/mobile device that has more functionality.  Better cameras, better browser, ability to use android apps.  To not screw the fan base over- either tell developers not to develop beyond the capabilities of the old handheld, or think of a way to expand the memory later on when it becomes necessary.  

Again, in terms of gaming, I'm fine with what it offers- it will be another 2-3 before I even think about wanting something more powerful, but I think the device can use some increased functionality.

Not releasing a handheld every 9 months, but at least slightly updating the specs or offering something new to the table to breathe more life into their handheld. Nintendo has billions of dollars in their bank, they can afford to do this. They can essentially make up for the loss with Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, DK, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Metroid, etc New IPs like Dillion, Art Academy, Sakura Samurai, etc) Compared to the 3DS, the 2DS is gigantic. In terms of width. 

#26 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

yes, release a brand new handheld when they've been working on getting miiverse and NNID onto the 3DS.... would make sense to waste time doing all this just to release new hardware different from the 3DS.........  as others have said, it's at least a couple of years out.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#27 PipoPito

PipoPito

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, Metroid, Pokemon, Ape Escape

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Reveal: 2016
Release: 2017
A reveal this E3 is WAY too early maybe a hint or tease in 2015.
Old Usernames: Pipopito, Great Mighty Poo , Pit.

#28 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

There`s no need for a new portable.

DS was always behind and that didn`t stop people from enjoying it`s games.

I only expect, for next E3, a confirmation or something like that, by Nintendo, that they are working on something new that will be presented the following year. They can also do like Sony and MS and announce and release all in the same year.

What i expect from the new handheld is for the HW integration on Nintendo to show some fruits.

My theory is Nintendo will develop a Vita like portable (single screen) and make it compatible with the next home console by letting it work as a gamepad. That being, it would work as the actual gamepad of the new home console (sharing similarities in functions and maybe even shape).

What would be the result of the HW integration?

You would have Nintendo releasing 2 SKUs: one without a gamepad and one with a gamepad. With that, you would get a cheaper home console if you already owned a portable. Making the adoption rate of Wii U`s successor way more easier.

In other words, imagine 3DS 2 would cost 200 and the gamepad free SKU 250 - with the full SKU releasing again for 350. You would get two consoles for 450, being able to play games for both systems (even 3DS 2 games on TV from the get go) and you would have the chance to do so in two moments in time.

If you look at PS4 and XB1`s prices, you`d see how that amount of Money would be better put use on Nintendo`s side.

Edited by DéliopT, 16 September 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#29 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

As an aside, I think Nintendo will abandom the DS line next time.
I think they'll move more toward a somewhat smaller Wii U GamePad, or tablet with sticks and buttons.
They might even bring back the GameBoy brand.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#30 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

I disagree with you completely, Zinix.

The 3DS doesn't feel aged or "outdated" to me, at all. The DS, however, very much did. The console could barely run 3D games properly, but you know what? No matter how outdated I thought it was and how much I longed for the introduction of the next generation handheld, Nintendo milked that console dry for SEVEN years.

What makes you think that Nintendo is going to speed through this generation, when they sat on the last one for so frustratingly long?

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#31 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

There`s no need for a new portable.

DS was always behind and that didn`t stop people from enjoying it`s games.

I only expect, for next E3, a confirmation or something like that, by Nintendo, that they are working on something new that will be presented the following year. They can also do like Sony and MS and announce and release all in the same year.

What i expect from the new handheld is for the HW integration on Nintendo to show some fruits.

My theory is Nintendo will develop a Vita like portable (single screen) and make it compatible with the next home console by letting it work as a gamepad. That being, it would work as the actual gamepad of the new home console (sharing similarities in functions and maybe even shape).

What would be the result of the HW integration?

You would have Nintendo releasing 2 SKUs: one without a gamepad and one with a gamepad. With that, you would get a cheaper home console if you already owned a portable. Making the adoption rate of Wii U`s successor way more easier.

In other words, imagine 3DS 2 would cost 200 and the gamepad free SKU 250 - with the full SKU releasing again for 350. You would get two consoles for 450, being able to play games for both systems (even 3DS 2 games on TV from the get go) and you would have the chance to do so in two moments in time.

If you look at PS4 and XB1`s prices, you`d see how that amount of Money would be better put use on Nintendo`s side.

One thing that speaks against this idea is that the Wii U gamepad is too large to be a handheld console, and I don't think Nintendo wants to make a smaller gamepad for its next console. Otherwise, it makes sense.

#32 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

One thing that speaks against this idea is that the Wii U gamepad is too large to be a handheld console, and I don't think Nintendo wants to make a smaller gamepad for its next console. Otherwise, it makes sense.

What if it was the size of a Vita?

If the next gamepad`s screen has the same size as Wii U`s gamepad screen, the difference wouldn`t hurt the ability to use the handheld as an actual gamepad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!