Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

What are your stances about this?

My school doesn't like electronics since even though a lot of the teachers are gamers and otakus, our discipline officer and new principal are ultra-conservative. One time, me and my friends were having a Pokemon tournament during a day where we didn't have any real classes and the D.O comes in guns blazing and bag checks us with his cold gaze. He found Laptop still playing DeSu 2: Animation and our DSes.  He made us sign a waiver to never bring any form of gadget again or else he'll I.R (Incident Report) us. 

I mean, we weren't even using it during a class hour. It's much better than the others that smoke and do each other.  For god's sake, we don't even leech off the school's power grid and WiFi like the others. He just likes to target the gamers and otakus in the school. Funny though, our high school actually has more rules than most middle schools in 1st world countries. (3rd world, non K-12 problems)

Edited by Stromdeath, 18 September 2013 - 06:14 AM.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#2 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

Yes.

They're helpful to look up subjects/topics/words you don't know, they could also have a huge role in the classroom in assisting teachers. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#3 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

Yes.

They're helpful to look up subjects/topics/words you don't know, they could also have a huge role in the classroom in assisting teachers. 

They even blocked .wikia.com sites on our WiFi since it's a "virus prone site".  Hell, they have access to all the computers on the network. For this reason, I don't use the school wifi anymore and if I ever have to, I use a virtual machine.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#4 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

My college professors actually encourage the use of electronic devices and admit they're useful in the class. My school's wifi is ass though, it logs you off after awhile. I just use my phone's internet service. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#5 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Yes.

Wii holding books when you can hold an e-book.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#6 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

.Wow storm, I would hate to go there. Heck my library during lunches you could go play web games or Minecraft on the computers.

Im mixed on the allowence of electronic devices at school. I mean playing your gameboy during lunch i'm ok with, though then theres the school side of things and if it gets stolen and they don't want to hear about that. (I wouldn't either if I was incharge of a school.) 

Now in the classroom, if the class or school was centered around electronics like you used Tablets (iOS or Android, I think Androids better for education + iOS textbooks) for looking at assigments for all you classes, like thats how they assigned and turned it. Im pretty ok with that.

Teachers allowing the use of Smartphones in class... thats trickier, because you can't really trust the students and theres no real class use much for them. Though I had some teachers who allowed you to use you phone if you were good with doing the work while using it (so you can text in class), or when your done with everything. 

But they were never much use, cell signal was usually weak and my school dosen't have public wifi for the students personal devices.

Edited by TheDoctor13, 18 September 2013 - 08:55 AM.

Stupid Snowmads!

#7 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

I sometimes use my phone as a dictionary while in a class but never to chat with someone or play games. I think something more than that would be too arrogant.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#8 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

I think electronics are OK in class up to the point that they become a distraction in class.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#9 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

bypass the firewall with a proxy site.

#10 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

I think that technology can be used in classes if it is used for the right reasons. Some people get too easily distracted by other things on their phones, so a lot of teachers are cautious about that.  If you aren't using it for the purpose of the class, it shouldn't be used. I don't see the point of restricting technology outside of class though. Maybe they are just trying to establish authority, or something. 

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#11 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

It was like that in my highschool. Technically we weren't allowed to bring electronics to school, but they didn't enforce the policy to the point of searching bags. It was sort of a "don't display" policy. In the end, it really depended on the teacher. Some cared, some didn't. Some only moderately cared. For example, one of my teachers was fine with it if you didn't use it while he was talking or you were supposed to be working, but was fine with it if you finished your work early, or he wasn't speaking. Basically it chalked up to "You can use it but you still need to do your work and respect me"

Posted Image

#12 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Well,

One time I was playing Pokemon Diamond in my Yr 10 Science class and I told my teacher it was a translator. She bought the stupidest thing I ever made up, so I was happily playing the thing until the end of the year.

I don't remember science.

I rainbow you not, true story. She couldn't have been anymore ignorant.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!