Photo

Does The Wii U Runs Everything At 1080p?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

I recently got my Wii U and I have a TV that lets me know exactly what resolution is the current image being displayed on said TV. For example, if I'm playing a game that is 480p, if the game for whatever reason changes to 240p my TV immediately lets me know etc...

I haven't seen the resolution changed when playing Wii U. That also applies for apps. Here are some screenshots I took:

0orddg5.jpg

gSdHSQn.jpg

vdkV50K.jpg

sjCKUwr.jpg

The quality, at least to me is the same on all the pictures. Of course I'm no expert, so please share your opinions.

#2 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Most of the time it is upscaling 720p.  Some games are/will be (?) native 1080p but I'm not sure which ones

Edited by kokirii, 15 October 2013 - 08:02 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#3 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

ah, but still the image quality is amazing! It's a good upscaler then.

And ooops... Double thread.... please close the other one :0

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

MH3U is 1080p and, WWHD, Rayman are all native at the resolution. Not sure if I am missing any other titles.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

And what about the apps like the internet browser, miiverse etc...

#6 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Yes, most games are upscaled, but the signal from the WiiU hdmi is always 1080p (unless you have chosen 720p in the WiiU settings), so your TV only knows it's a 1080p signal.

#7 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo,Nintendo,Arsenal and Merrikh

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

i heard the mass effect is also native 1080p

#8 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

It doesn't run on 1080p (except for some games), but tht doesn't matter. 720p is good enough.

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

all games are native 720p upscaled to 1080p before being sent to the tv, with the exception of a few games including rayman, scribblenauts and windwaker hd.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

most games are upscaled. several could use some AA, only thing that ruins that graphics in pikmin at times for me.

also does metroid prime 3 lack some AA or lower res than the other 2. i recently went back to triligy and the jaggys are hellishly bad in 3, but arnt anywhere near as much of a issue in 1 and 2.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

most games are upscaled. several could use some AA, only thing that ruins that graphics in pikmin at times for me.

also does metroid prime 3 lack some AA or lower res than the other 2. i recently went back to triligy and the jaggys are hellishly bad in 3, but arnt anywhere near as much of a issue in 1 and 2.

Not really.... Corruption was a straight copy of the wii game, while prime and echoes were remasters with widescreen (anamorphic) redone textures, lighting, added effects like bloom, some form of aa.... so its not that corruption is missing it... the less demanding cube games were smoothed.

Unfortunately, the improvements came along with a list of missing effects and shortcomings from the originals, sadly, keeping trilogy from being a definitive version of all prime on one disc.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

From the games I've played, the jaggies are not really noticeable. I haven't played Pikmin.

As for MP3... I think it has to do with widescreen. The Gamecube didn't support true widescreen so the screen wasn't "stretched" like Wii games, so the jaggies are less visible. 

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

From the games I've played, the jaggies are not really noticeable. I haven't played Pikmin.

As for MP3... I think it has to do with widescreen. The Gamecube didn't support true widescreen so the screen wasn't "stretched" like Wii games, so the jaggies are less visible.

Hes talking about the wii game metroid prime trilogy, of which both prime and echoes were given aznamorphiv widescreen.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hes talking about the wii game metroid prime trilogy, of which both prime and echoes were given aznamorphiv widescreen.

Oh right.... my bad.

3Dude: 

What do you think are the improvements on WindwakerHD (technically) over the original? I'm amazed how the original still holds up if you put them side by side.

#15 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

Oh right.... my bad.

3Dude: 

What do you think are the improvements on WindwakerHD (technically) over the original? I'm amazed how the original still holds up if you put them side by side.

Well, thats because a lot of people dismiss windwaker as simply looking good because 'art style', when it was actually one of the most technically advanced games of its generation, doing some things that are only becoming common place now.... While also having fantastic art direction.

WWHD improvements. (Graphics changes)

Resolution increased to 1080p
Textures redrawn to high resolution tiles. (character and background, and effect sprites hud etc)
Skyboxes redone with high resolution art. (stars are original cube assets, they were done with polygons, so they can scale to any resolution)
Modern lighting and shadowing engine added.
Ambient occlusion (screen space) used for cartoony global illumination solution.
Real time Contact hardening shadows (Or a solution that provides a similar effect)
Streaming removed, as the entirety of the great sea is now loaded in ram, enabling the extra speed and maneuverability of the red sail.

The rest, including the physics, ai, cloth physics, wind physics, water tesselation etc... Is original cube stuff.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#16 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

@ OP those are some sweet screenshots, btw

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#17 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

Well, thats because a lot of people dismiss windwaker as simply looking good because 'art style', when it was actually one of the most technically advanced games of its generation, doing some things that are only becoming common place now.... While also having fantastic art direction.

WWHD improvements. (Graphics changes)

Resolution increased to 1080p
Textures redrawn to high resolution tiles. (character and background, and effect sprites hud etc)
Skyboxes redone with high resolution art. (stars are original cube assets, they were done with polygons, so they can scale to any resolution)
Modern lighting and shadowing engine added.
Ambient occlusion (screen space) used for cartoony global illumination solution.
Real time Contact hardening shadows (Or a solution that provides a similar effect)
Streaming removed, as the entirety of the great sea is now loaded in ram, enabling the extra speed and maneuverability of the red sail.

The rest, including the physics, ai, cloth physics, wind physics, water tesselation etc... Is original cube stuff.

Yes, many stuff is still Gamecube... it really blows my mind :)

@ OP those are some sweet screenshots, btw

Thanks 

#18 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Wind Waker was indeed pretty impressive for its day.  We didnt really know much about it back in the day on a technical level, but now we know that it was ahead of its time in many areas.  Heck, Nintendo starting to use some cel shaded effects in other games that arent even cel shaded games, they look that good. 

#19 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

It's a shame that they didn't add tessellation. 

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

It's a shame that they didn't add tessellation.

Wind waker used tesselation back on the gamecube.

wii sports, excite truck, wii sports resort, and skyward sword on wii use tesselation.

Nintendo land uses tesselation on Wii u.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!