Photo

Does The Wii U Runs Everything At 1080p?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Heck, Nintendo starting to use some cel shaded effects in other games that arent even cel shaded games, they look that good. 

Like Mario  Sunshine?

#22 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

No, Mario 3D World is using some cel shaded effects. 

#23 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

No, Mario 3D World is using some cel shaded effects. 

Oh, but Mario Sunshine also uses cel shaded effects too. They didn't have to, they could've just go with the "plasticky" look:

super-mario-sunshine.jpg

I don't know if it's noticeable.

#24 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Wind waker used tesselation back on the gamecube.

wii sports, excite truck, wii sports resort, and skyward sword on wii use tesselation.

Nintendo land uses tesselation on Wii u.

Can you explain Tesselation in laymans terms? Is it just about smoothing out edges, rounding out shapes, or does it involve much more?

I am also glad you brought up Nintendoland .. makes me wanna go back and play it again. I think the title is often over looked because the art style, but I still say it's a good way to showcase the wii u's gameplay and graphics.

nintendoland_5a.jpg

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#25 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Can you explain Tesselation in laymans terms? Is it just about smoothing out edges, rounding out shapes, or does it involve much more?

I am also glad you brought up Nintendoland .. makes me wanna go back and play it again. I think the title is often over looked because the art style, but I still say it's a good way to showcase the wii u's gameplay and graphics.

nintendoland_5a.jpg

Tesselation subdivides a polygons surface, adding new vertices and thus, several polygons where there only used to be one.

Some use it in conjunction with high res height maps to quickly create exceptionally detailed models... But this isnt very practical for use in videogames.

Most devs simply use adaptive tesselation, which simply adds vertices to low poly meshes, rounding out angular models. This is used as an easy lod for setting sliders... I dont care much for it, as it often gets things 'wrong' and ends up looking weird.

Nintendo uses tesselation exclusively for interaction and gameplay.

In ww, it was used to procedurally animate the water that interacted with the ship.

In wii sports it was used to break the target tiles in the tennis minigames uniquely every time depending on the exact location of impact.

In excite truck (not bots) It was used for real time damage that was different every single time, depending on precise location of impact, precise size and shape of impacting object, speed and direction of impacting object, allowing the vehicles to be crumpled like coke cans in real time. The pre rendered damage models in motorstorm looked lile a joke in comparison, especially since it was on a system 20x more powerful.

In sports resort it allowed the player to carve an object into any shape and size.

This was continued in skyward swords cuttable objects like signs bamboo wooden sheilds etc. And also what enabled the sand interaction procedural animation.

It was continued in nintendo land, this time with moving enemy objects, where anywhere link slices carves out a split in the cloth material layer, and overlapping slashes can open into bigger rifts, and allows chus to be sliced in half precisely the way the player moves their sword.

Oh, but Mario Sunshine also uses cel shaded effects too. They didn't have to, they could've just go with the "plasticky" look:

super-mario-sunshine.jpg

I don't know if it's noticeable.

Thats not cell shading, its goraud shading, Nintendos been started using it in mario 64 to emulate a cartoony look without using more taxing shaders.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#26 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thats not cell shading, its goraud shading, Nintendos been started using it in mario 64 to emulate a cartoony look without using more taxing shaders.

Really? even the simulated self shadowing from Mario's cap is simple gouraud?

#27 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Really? even the simulated self shadowing from Mario's cap is simple gouraud?

Yes, the fact it looks remotely anything like the caps shadow is complete concidence. Sunshine had no self shadowing.

Although self shadowing has nothing to do with cell shading, its a completely different can of worms.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#28 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Yes, the fact it looks remotely anything like the caps shadow is complete concidence. Sunshine had no self shadowing.

Although self shadowing has nothing to do with cell shading, its a completely different can of worms.

Wow... then it's a good gouraud system then :)

#29 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Wind waker used tesselation back on the gamecube.

wii sports, excite truck, wii sports resort, and skyward sword on wii use tesselation.

Nintendo land uses tesselation on Wii u.

Yeah, I know. I was thinking of displacement mapping and all those easily "generatable" texture maps.

But in the end, it would probably ruin the art style. I don't know. I'd have to see it for myself in order to judge its potential.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!