43 replies to this topic

#1 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

I've been thinking about this lately. Everyone talks about what they think Nintendo should do to increase their sales/appeal and most people say to simply advertise/release series X, Y, and Z.

However, I've been thinking about Nintendo's current strategy to pull people in and their angle. Basically they're try to say, 'Look everyone, look at all of these games you can only get on Nintendo'. Now this is not necessarily a bad strategy since it's basically been the same strategy most consoles have gone through in the past. There have always been multi-plats but the vast majority of iconic titles on past gaming consoles have always been exclusives, first or third party. The problem is that the inverse is also true of Nintendo in that there are many big series that are exclusive from them. 

They've tried to entice third parties over and over, yet they still keep getting the same results. Third parties half-ass it because they'd rather develop for the twins rather than a unique system. Being the unique system in a fight with two practically identical systems is killing them. Even when they do get third party games, those demographics don't care. CoD fans have shown they'd rather play CoD on their Xbox even if they could be playing it on a Nintendo system. 

So what's Nintendo to do? It's simple. They need to up their exclusive offerings. They need to get so many exclusive franchises under their belt that every gamer would have to have either a PSX or Xbox, BUT they have to have a Nintendo as well. Right now Nintendo has money in the bank and it's high time they started to buy buy buy! They were morons not to grab a studio like Atlus. Now I know what you're thinking, Atlus makes great games but they're niche and don't appeal to a massive audience. That is very true, however Atlus' games have small yet loyal fanbases that will follow their games. If Persona 5 had been a Wii U exclusive, then Nintendo would have grown their install base. The growth would have been small, but it'd be something. Platinum Games is another great example, and they seem to favor Nintendo. Nintendo needs to buy them up as well as the Bayonetta IP. Heck, just go ahead and buy Sega since they're not doing so hot at the moment anyways. Bayonetta, Sonic, Phantasy Star, and Valkyria Chornicles (I think, sorry if I'm mistaken) all become exclusives to Nintendo forever. 

For every small yet awesome developer/studio they grab they're not only expanding their offerings, but they're also taking away from the their competitors, growing their library, and the more these things happen the more enticing their console's entire package becomes to gamers. Will this cost them a LOT of money? Absolutely, but it's money they need to spend anyways since they're seriously lacking in the development department and they've admitted to it. It's much easier buying up teams and studios that already have experience working together as well as a history of releasing awesome games. 

I'm not trying to pretend to be a business expert or anything, these are just my thoughts.

EDIT: 

One thing I forgot. Metroid. Starfox. F-Zero. They have to start using more of their IP and diversifying their lineup more. 

Edited by Azure-Edge, 06 December 2013 - 07:59 PM.

pNgecl.gif

#2 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

The flaw with this though is, there is only a small amount of people who will actually buy a Wii U solely for these games. Many people are skipping Bayonetta 2 because they just feel it isn't worth the purchase with a console and the game. Nintendo needs to create western studios to games that will appeal to an older audience. I personally think Nintendo's league would be creating games like BioShock, where it is a shooter but the game isn't just a dude-bro shooter. The reason was Bayonetta was swooped by Nintendo is because the initial game didn't sell well enough on PS and XBOX to warrant another game. There aren't many of these niche titles that Nintendo can just swoop up that will justify purchasing a console for. 

Just my two cents.

2lvmghw.png

#3 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

To be honest I feel it's just about the promoting of their hardware and software and really not releasing the games. If they had released most the games that are out now by 6months of initial release people wouldn't really be worried about the state of Nintendo.

Still it wouldn't hurt to buy more exclusives so I guess I kinda I agree with ur point.

#4 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

The flaw with this though is, there is only a small amount of people who will actually buy a Wii U solely for these games. Many people are skipping Bayonetta 2 because they just feel it isn't worth the purchase with a console and the game. Nintendo needs to create western studios to games that will appeal to an older audience. I personally think Nintendo's league would be creating games like BioShock, where it is a shooter but the game isn't just a dude-bro shooter. The reason was Bayonetta was swooped by Nintendo is because the initial game didn't sell well enough on PS and XBOX to warrant another game. There aren't many of these niche titles that Nintendo can just swoop up that will justify purchasing a console for. 

Just my two cents.

No, there weren't any other publishers willing to publish Bayonetta 2. And yeah, I know there aren't that many people who would buy a console for JUST one of these games. However there are always those small fanbases that will, which collectively would expand the install base. Plus, it isn't just one game. It's expanding their offerings across several IPs that together will add more appeal as a whole, not to mention Nintendo's usual exclusives.

I think going after the western market in general is dumb since they're already VERY well catered for and frankly would just ignore any shooter Nintendo put out. Don't believe me? Check out Metroid Prime's sales. Amazing FPS series, doesn't show it in sales. 

pNgecl.gif

#5 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

No, there weren't any other publishers willing to publish Bayonetta 2. And yeah, I know there aren't that many people who would buy a console for JUST one of these games. However there are always those small fanbases that will, which collectively would expand the install base. Plus, it isn't just one game. It's expanding their offerings across several IPs that together will add more appeal as a whole, not to mention Nintendo's usual exclusives.

I think going after the western market in general is dumb since they're already VERY well catered for and frankly would just ignore any shooter Nintendo put out. Don't believe me? Check out Metroid Prime's sales. Amazing FPS series, doesn't show it in sales. 

Yea, why do you think nobody was willing to publish Bayonetta 2..?

I get what you're saying about, having many of these niche titles will help expand. But I disagree, how many games are there like Bayonetta where they have 2 million sales on the other consoles and aren't getting any other games or sequels? Not many, and if so they are probably of different genres/fanbases or have been dead franchises. 

I'd say the problem with Metroid is Nintendo's inability to grow the franchise. Not having one on Wii U is a big mistake in my opinion, also I don't think Metroid has ever properly been marketed to cater to a Western audience. For starters, we'll take Other M for examples. I won't knock Other M's commercial because I think it was a pretty good one. However, no online multiplayer advertised, Wii is weaker then PS3 and 360 and at the time Other M released the Wii was considered a joke by many dude bro-shooter fans. Now with Halo, a game that looks quite similar to Metroid. We run into problems.

2lvmghw.png

#6 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

I think they need to make some new series/bring back old series like they did with KI:Uprising. Make something different, that satifies the fans nintendo has, but also helps bring in gamers who already stereotype Nintendo as "kiddy" games.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#7 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yea, why do you think nobody was willing to publish Bayonetta 2..?

I get what you're saying about, having many of these niche titles will help expand. But I disagree, how many games are there like Bayonetta where they have 2 million sales on the other consoles and aren't getting any other games or sequels? Not many, and if so they are probably of different genres/fanbases or have been dead franchises. 

I'd say the problem with Metroid is Nintendo's inability to grow the franchise. Not having one on Wii U is a big mistake in my opinion, also I don't think Metroid has ever properly been marketed to cater to a Western audience. For starters, we'll take Other M for examples. I won't knock Other M's commercial because I think it was a pretty good one. However, no online multiplayer advertised, Wii is weaker then PS3 and 360 and at the time Other M released the Wii was considered a joke by many dude bro-shooter fans. Now with Halo, a game that looks quite similar to Metroid. We run into problems.

Dude, there are tons of hidden gems out there that aren't see sequels with great appeal, they just don't appeal to the western audience which I think is a strength. There are OTHER demographics in gaming that are interested in things besides western shooters/hollywood games and I think Nintendo should focus on them instead of trying to go after the same groups Sony and MS are already locked in on. Sega alone has series such as Sonic, Phantasy Star Online, and even Skies of Arcadia which was an AMAZING game that never saw a sequel. You take in to account that Sega now owns Atlus and they would bring a huge offering for RPG fans. Yes, some of them are dead franchises, but dead franchises just make their revivals that much sweeter and more publicized. 

And as for Metorid. If Metroid as an FPS can't bring in the 'dudebro' crowd then there's really nothing that can. Like I've said, Nintendo needs to not worry about them. They don't need them. They need to go after markets that aren't being catered to at the moment.

pNgecl.gif

#8 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Dude, there are tons of hidden gems out there that aren't see sequels with great appeal, they just don't appeal to the western audience which I think is a strength. There are OTHER demographics in gaming that are interested in things besides western shooters/hollywood games and I think Nintendo should focus on them instead of trying to go after the same groups Sony and MS are already locked in on. Sega alone has series such as Sonic, Phantasy Star Online, and even Skies of Arcadia which was an AMAZING game that never saw a sequel. You take in to account that Sega now owns Atlus and they would bring a huge offering for RPG fans. Yes, some of them are dead franchises, but dead franchises just make their revivals that much sweeter and more publicized. 

And as for Metorid. If Metroid as an FPS can't bring in the 'dudebro' crowd then there's really nothing that can. Like I've said, Nintendo needs to not worry about them. They don't need them. They need to go after markets that aren't being catered to at the moment.

Name me some games that Nintendo could swoop up. I highly doubt Sonic after the 3rd exclusive game will see a Nintendo exclusive game anytime soon again due to the poor sales of both Mario and Sonic 2014 and Sonic Lost World. PSO has a sequel and its not for any consoles. It's only out in Japan at the moment. Skies of Arcadia, another niche game with poor sales. Only sold 220,000 copies on the Gamecube. No reason to even waste time with it.

The only thing I'll say about Atlus is, Nintendo should have made stronger bids for the sole reason of the lack luster sales in Japan. 

Metroid, I pretty much just listed why Other M was ignored by dude-bro shooter fans. There is really no appeal of playing a FPS on the Wii to those people, let alone they would be made fun of if people found out they played games on the Wii.

2lvmghw.png

#9 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

I think other M was ignored simply because it sucked.

#10 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Name me some games that Nintendo could swoop up. I highly doubt Sonic after the 3rd exclusive game will see a Nintendo exclusive game anytime soon again due to the poor sales of both Mario and Sonic 2014 and Sonic Lost World. PSO has a sequel and its not for any consoles. It's only out in Japan at the moment. Skies of Arcadia, another niche game with poor sales. Only sold 220,000 copies on the Gamecube. No reason to even waste time with it.

The only thing I'll say about Atlus is, Nintendo should have made stronger bids for the sole reason of the lack luster sales in Japan. 

Metroid, I pretty much just listed why Other M was ignored by dude-bro shooter fans. There is really no appeal of playing a FPS on the Wii to those people, let alone they would be made fun of if people found out they played games on the Wii.

What part of buy out these companies don't you understand? I've already given you numerous examples of games Nintendo could go after. You seem to not understand the concept of niche. It appeals to a certain demographic, not everything has to have CoD level sales. Not every series needs to sell millions of copies of games. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Nintendo grabbing series that will increase their exclusive offerings and pulling in the many different niche markets. On their own they don't make up for much, but hardcore niche fanbases will add a good chunk to any install base if consolidated. I don't know what your problem is if you can't understand that Nintendo getting more exclusives would be highly beneficial in the long run. 

Now look at what you just wrote in the bold. Do you realize that the very same argument could be made for the Wii U? Metroid was ignored by shooter fans on the Wii and there is zero reason to think it would be any different for the Wii U. The shooter demographic is on lock down, plain and simple. It'd be stupid for Nintendo to try appealing to them. They're content where they're at. 

pNgecl.gif

#11 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

What part of buy out these companies don't you understand? I've already given you numerous examples of games Nintendo could go after. You seem to not understand the concept of niche. It appeals to a certain demographic, not everything has to have CoD level sales. Not every series needs to sell millions of copies of games. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Nintendo grabbing series that will increase their exclusive offerings and pulling in the many different niche markets. On their own they don't make up for much, but hardcore niche fanbases will add a good chunk to any install base if consolidated. I don't know what your problem is if you can't understand that Nintendo getting more exclusives would be highly beneficial in the long run. 

Now look at what you just wrote in the bold. Do you realize that the very same argument could be made for the Wii U? Metroid was ignored by shooter fans on the Wii and there is zero reason to think it would be any different for the Wii U. The shooter demographic is on lock down, plain and simple. It'd be stupid for Nintendo to try appealing to them. They're content where they're at. 

I understand you're idea that they should buy out companies. But that is a ridiculously stupid idea. The only companies that would have impacts to the hardware sales are companies that would cost a lot of money. What I am saying is, you can have all the niche titles in the world, but you're not naming me any niche titles such as Bayonetta that sold well the first time around and can be swooped up. We saw what happened with the Wonderful101 and that game was a commercial failure so I doubt the more exclusives might be highly beneficial. They should stick to their own franchises and create new ones.

As for Metroid, I disagree. The Wii U atleast has physical game buttons. You're pretty much saying they shouldn't make Metroid games anymore. I find this to be an easy way to hide the argument. If Nintendo never tries to create a game like this that more then likely will sell to the Nintendo fans and hardcore gamers alike(not dude-bros) could also appeal to some of those COD fanboys. If you never try, you never know.

Edited by Colinx, 07 December 2013 - 06:36 AM.

2lvmghw.png

#12 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

I wonder how we look back to this time in a 5 years from now.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#13 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

There needs to be another Metroid of the quality of Prime. End of story. It could sell less than 1 million for all I care, but Metroid is basically a prestige title of Nintendo's that gives their console a certain level of respect. I see it with all my friends up here(college), they like the Wii, but the GameCube is their console of choice because of the metroid titles on it. And melee I suppose, but that's a different story.

#14 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

We'll probably either wonder how we were ever scared that Nintendo might fail us, or wonder how we ever thought Nintendo could pull through.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#15 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

We will all want to slap ourselves for being idiots and drama queens. It's like how adults look back at their high school/college antics and go "WTF were we THINKING?????"

#16 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

5 years from now people will call wiiu one of the best consoles ever made. With some of the best games ever made. I promise you this will happen. 

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

There needs to be another Metroid of the quality of Prime. End of story. It could sell less than 1 million for all I care, but Metroid is basically a prestige title of Nintendo's that gives their console a certain level of respect. I see it with all my friends up here(college), they like the Wii, but the GameCube is their console of choice because of the metroid titles on it. And melee I suppose, but that's a different story.

Metroids 'dont sell a lot'. But they always sell very, very consistantly. Around 1 to 2 million, garunteed. Even other m is sitting at 1.25 million. Those people, are simply waiting for their next metroid to be released. Nintendo needs to budget the game so they can make a good profit off a million sales.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

We will all want to slap ourselves for being idiots and drama queens. It's like how adults look back at their high school/college antics and go "WTF were we THINKING?????"

Well not ALL of us :P

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#19 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

They do need to do more to cater to the North American market. Not only that but they need to learn how to hype their console. Talk up the hardware a little. I know people will say these things seem like they wouldnt increase sales but try nintendo. I remember the article Emily Rogers posted a couple months back. She said Nintendo was so confused the gamecube didnt do well and that games like grand theft auto was selling better than mario. So two generations ago and they are still havent gotten it. we still havent seen a grand theft auto game on a nintendo home console. BALANCE NINTENDO BALANCE. Is it wrong that your gamers from the 90's that made NES, SNES, and N64 popular have grown up? Maybe just maybe they want to play Mario and a modern shooter, and grand theft auto. It is all about balance. What pisses me off more is when i see the success Dan Aldeman is having with indie devs. Dan Aldeman is Nintendo's pitch man for indies and having brought a lot of games to the e-shop that developers didnt have any intentions on bringing to the console. If they had a guy that did the same thing for big 3rd parties we would have better 3rd party content... but it is obvious nintendo could care less and hasnt appointed anyone like Dan Aldeman to sway big 3rd parties.

Edited by GAMER1984, 13 December 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#20 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

They do need to do more to cater to the North American market. Not only that but they need to learn how to hype their console. Talk up the hardware a little. I know people will say these things seem like they wouldnt increase sales but try nintendo. I remember the article Emily Rogers posted a couple months back. She said Nintendo was so confused the gamecube didnt do well and that games like grand theft auto was selling better than mario. So two generations ago and they are still havent gotten it. we still havent seen a grand theft auto game on a nintendo home console. BALANCE NINTENDO BALANCE. Is it wrong that your gamers from the 90's that made NES, SNES, and N64 popular have grown up? Maybe just maybe they want to play Mario and a modern shooter, and grand theft auto. It is all about balance. What pisses me off more is when i see the success Dan Aldeman is having with indie devs. Dan Aldeman is Nintendo's pitch man for indies and having brought a lot of games to the e-shop that developers didnt have any intentions on bringing to the console. If they had a guy that did the same thing for big 3rd parties we would have better 3rd party content... but it is obvious nintendo could care less and hasnt appointed anyone like Dan Aldeman to sway big 3rd parties.

The problem you have at this point is that major third parties don't WANT to support Nintendo. They want as much money as possible for as very little work as possible. Sony and MS have essentially bent over and grabbed their ankles for third parties because without their help both of them die off quickly. Basically the PS4 and XBone were hand crafted by third parties, and what did we get? Two near identical consoles so that porting is as easy as possible. They were almost able to get DRM in as well (which I think still might happen once these consoles reach a high enough install base).

Nintendo on the other hand? No, they'd have to actually do a LITTLE bit of work to make their games work on the system which is way too much for third parties. Why are they going to actually put work in to this system when the two other companies do whatever they tell them to? If anything, major third parties want to see Nintendo taken out. Nintendo can try to sway and woo third parties all they want, but just look at the current third party support and you will see the results. Every single game is intentionally and severely gimped in terms of content. Modes that are in every other version are taken out or their not giving it dlc. Why? So that third parties can have an excuse as to why they don't support Nintendo. At the end of the day, Nintendo can't force third parties to support them.

What makes it even worse is that when Nintendo occasionally does get an awesome third party exclusive, gamers either whine and cry or they just shrug off the game entirely. Even if GTA was on the Wii U and equal to all the other versions, gamers would still avoid it like the plague and instead get it on another system. At this point Nintendo's best bet is to simply expand their exclusive offerings and carve out a niche for themselves and make their profit while the HD twins continue to try to one up the other. 

pNgecl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!