Photo

Why 2013 has been the worst year in gaming.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

1983. No year in gaming beats that in worst.

#22 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Are you people even capable of comprehending what this video was about?

They choose to not understand the real message of this video. Other than that, just post without watching the vid.

Edited by Lupaie, 19 January 2014 - 02:32 AM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#23 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:19 AM

I didn't watch the vid, but from the looks of it, it's not about the software, but the actual business of the industry, it's practices and it's failures (at least in the eyes of the gamer).

So, I'm gonna take a guess and say:

- Sim City

- That Battlefield 4 investor thing about how glitchy as fudge it was at launch

- The Wii U/Vita not selling as it should be

- Xbox reveal being way below expectations

- Xbox One and PS4 running on PC tech at demos instead of actual units

- Ouya stand getting arrested at E3

- Watching my friend play FIFA 14 at the EB Games Expo for 30 minutes and thinking we could be playing a game that's worth playing by now

- Many Wii U exclusives not being able to sell the system that well

- Games still being pricey in Australia

- Monetary practices that make gamers cringe still being cringeworthy and not dead

- People playing NBA Live 14 instead of NBA 2K14

- Still no ChronoPhantasma in the west despite game having full English dubs

- Many games that are old being revived with silly titles like "Director's Cut", "Definitive Edition", "Special Edition" or being piss poor and straight porting.

- Online stores being crap on consoles. Why is everything at maximum price?

- Terrible marketing for various titles and consoles being terrible

- Publishers being bishes, studios shutting down, studios a former shadow of themselves and developers being selective quacks.

I'm guessing these are the things that are probably more or less touched in the video.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#24 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I can hardly understand what they talk about in this video. What accent is that supposed to be?

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#25 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:40 AM

I didn't watch the vid, but from the looks of it, it's not about the software, but the actual business of the industry, it's practices and it's failures (at least in the eyes of the gamer).

So, I'm gonna take a guess and say:
- Sim City
- That Battlefield 4 investor thing about how glitchy as fudge it was at launch
- The Wii U/Vita not selling as it should be
- Xbox reveal being way below expectations
- Xbox One and PS4 running on PC tech at demos instead of actual units
- Ouya stand getting arrested at E3
- Watching my friend play FIFA 14 at the EB Games Expo for 30 minutes and thinking we could be playing a game that's worth playing by now
- Many Wii U exclusives not being able to sell the system that well
- Games still being pricey in Australia
- Monetary practices that make gamers cringe still being cringeworthy and not dead
- People playing NBA Live 14 instead of NBA 2K14
- Still no ChronoPhantasma in the west despite game having full English dubs
- Many games that are old being revived with silly titles like "Director's Cut", "Definitive Edition", "Special Edition" or being piss poor and straight porting.
- Online stores being crap on consoles. Why is everything at maximum price?
- Terrible marketing for various titles and consoles being terrible
- Publishers being bishes, studios shutting down, studios a former shadow of themselves and developers being selective quacks.

I'm guessing these are the things that are probably more or less touched in the video.

Good guessing, it's mostly about how studios ask money to unlock stuff, special versions on specific consoles, that in the long run only serve the studio and consolemakers. We as constumers are left with uncomplete games or at least misding on content one way or the other.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#26 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

Yes and it's just an opinion.

Oh really, then why was your response a list of games you thought were good?
Here, lets take a look at what the article is REALLY about with the list of games you provided.

Dungeons & Dragons re-release
An old arcade game? Really? All this does is prove games of a past generation are significantly better than most of whats out today.

Dragon's Crown
Failed miserably in sales. Making titles of this type has been negatively reinforced by the games media and the mass market. Less likely to see another.

Ys Memories in Celceta
Absolutely abysmal sales. Negative reinforcements to making more titles like this.

The Wonderful 101
Absolutely horrible, terrible sales. Extreme negative reinforcement of making games of this tyoe on the platform it released on.

new Sly Cooper
Abysmal sales. Say goodbye to sly cooper.

Sonic Lost World
Abysmal sales, negative reinforcement of the only 3d sonic game that didnt suck.

Mario 3D World
Abysmal sales for a 3d mario game, hasnt broke a million in any individual region. Sales are so bad, they got nintendo thinking to make idiot games like smart phone apps and nickel and dime, instead of great games like 3dworld at a single premium price.

Fire Emblem Awakening
I thought you said you knew what this was about? Why are you bringing up Handhelds? Specifically Nintendo handhelds? I dont know why I am explaining this, since you claim to already know it... But Fire emblem awakening expressely does NOT follow the business model talked about in this video. Its a whole game, made with a smart budget, that was able to profit from modest sales, from a company who doesnt feel the need to turn every single game into call of duty clones.

Ni No Kuni
Bad sales. 'only' 1 million today because of the current hostile environment being enforced in todays industry, is not enough sales to warrant furthwer interest in similar style games. Games like Ni no Kuni have been negatively reinforced.

Brothers a Tale of Two Sons
Abysmal sales. A tiny fraction of their Riddick fps sales... which were pretty small to begin with... good thing it was just an hd re release of an old XBox game. Guess what Starbreeze wont be making in the future? Games like a tale of two sons. Guess what star breeze will be making in the future? Call of duty-ified fps r other mainstream braindead garbage. Or theyll go out of business. Probably both.

Rain (PS3)
Sales so low it cant even be tracked. I have been waiting SEVEN YEARS for a team ico game. I BOUGHT THE PS3 SPECIFICALLY FOR said team ico game, and thanks to this craptastic generation, there is no place for a game like the last guardian, and the beutifal but completely ignored rain is simply proof. Goodbye originality, hello more dudebro shootbang.

Gone Home
I thought you said you knew what this was about? Why are you bringing up Indie games? Psudo games? Er.. Non games...

The Stanley Parable came out in 2011.
Congratulations, every single game you listed is a dying breed thanks to the disgusting state of the industry today.

Hope you enjoy knowing the fact, that once those kinds of games you like dissapear, and all thats left is smart phone garbage and dudebro crap, all paired with godawful nickel and dime pay to pay crap business models because its the only way the industry can sustain its filth, that you were right there with everyone else murdering anything good that was left with a blind fold on.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#27 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

I'll sum it up in 2 words:
"Wahwahwah, DLC."

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#28 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

I think it's obvious that the industry making gamers pay for stuff that should be in the game is bad and it will soon come and bite them in the behind. As the dude from the vid says we gamers united can change the industry(X1,Mass Effect ending lol).

#29 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

I'll sum it up in 2 words:
"Wahwahwah, DLC."

imT8upUausMxN.jpg

Except you can replace the mona lisa with this

299022-jesus-fresco-ruined-during-restor

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#30 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

HAHAHAHAHA

#31 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

Except you can replace the mona lisa with this

How so?
x1's forza has cars you can buy, do you think that certain models of cars are missing parts of the base game?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#32 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Oh really, then why was your response a list of games you thought were good?
Here, lets take a look at what the article is REALLY about with the list of games you provided.

Dungeons & Dragons re-release
An old arcade game? Really? All this does is prove games of a past generation are significantly better than most of whats out today.

Dragon's Crown
Failed miserably in sales. Making titles of this type has been negatively reinforced by the games media and the mass market. Less likely to see another.

Ys Memories in Celceta
Absolutely abysmal sales. Negative reinforcements to making more titles like this.

The Wonderful 101
Absolutely horrible, terrible sales. Extreme negative reinforcement of making games of this tyoe on the platform it released on.

new Sly Cooper
Abysmal sales. Say goodbye to sly cooper.

Sonic Lost World
Abysmal sales, negative reinforcement of the only 3d sonic game that didnt suck.

Mario 3D World
Abysmal sales for a 3d mario game, hasnt broke a million in any individual region. Sales are so bad, they got nintendo thinking to make idiot games like smart phone apps and nickel and dime, instead of great games like 3dworld at a single premium price.

Fire Emblem Awakening
I thought you said you knew what this was about? Why are you bringing up Handhelds? Specifically Nintendo handhelds? I dont know why I am explaining this, since you claim to already know it... But Fire emblem awakening expressely does NOT follow the business model talked about in this video. Its a whole game, made with a smart budget, that was able to profit from modest sales, from a company who doesnt feel the need to turn every single game into call of duty clones.

Ni No Kuni
Bad sales. 'only' 1 million today because of the current hostile environment being enforced in todays industry, is not enough sales to warrant furthwer interest in similar style games. Games like Ni no Kuni have been negatively reinforced.

Brothers a Tale of Two Sons
Abysmal sales. A tiny fraction of their Riddick fps sales... which were pretty small to begin with... good thing it was just an hd re release of an old XBox game. Guess what Starbreeze wont be making in the future? Games like a tale of two sons. Guess what star breeze will be making in the future? Call of duty-ified fps r other mainstream braindead garbage. Or theyll go out of business. Probably both.

Rain (PS3)
Sales so low it cant even be tracked. I have been waiting SEVEN YEARS for a team ico game. I BOUGHT THE PS3 SPECIFICALLY FOR said team ico game, and thanks to this craptastic generation, there is no place for a game like the last guardian, and the beutifal but completely ignored rain is simply proof. Goodbye originality, hello more dudebro shootbang.

Gone Home
I thought you said you knew what this was about? Why are you bringing up Indie games? Psudo games? Er.. Non games...

The Stanley Parable came out in 2011.
Congratulations, every single game you listed is a dying breed thanks to the disgusting state of the industry today.

Hope you enjoy knowing the fact, that once those kinds of games you like dissapear, and all thats left is smart phone garbage and dudebro crap, all paired with godawful nickel and dime pay to pay crap business models because its the only way the industry can sustain its filth, that you were right there with everyone else murdering anything good that was left with a blind fold on.

you were responding to the wrong person. derp on you

But since you did.

Who gives a carp about sales. the games were great.

D&D yes one of the greatest arcade games ever that few got a chance to play back in the day, Best yet the SEGA Saturn copy is hard to get but I bought the physical Japan PS3 copy.

Dragon's Crown sold over 800k and was a massive success.

Ys did great and always does for Xseed dummy.

Ni No Kuni they were very happy with its sales.

Rest of it so f-ing what? The games are fantastic.

They were good so shove it. As for the Vid I CANNOT UNDERSTAND A F-ING THING THEY ARE SAYING!

I cannot understand a Scottish accent despite it being my heritage.

Edited by Ryudo, 19 January 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#33 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

How so?
x1's forza has cars you can buy, do you think that certain models of cars are missing parts of the base game?

I wasn't sure so I double-checked.  Forza 5 has 14 tracks and over 200 cars.  Forza 4 had 26 tracks and over 500 cars.  They basically said that due to production costs for "Next Gen Quality" they cut out a lot, but are selling some of it later as DLC. 

Quote:

"We found that we ship a game that has over 200 cars, and they're all to this level of detail with huge diversity. It's been a successful program for us, having the paid DLC. Those that don't want it don't have to get it, and those that want it can buy it. The season pass allows them to buy it as a subscription." 

Source-http://www.eurogamer...ks-than-forza-4

Yeah, the business side of 2013 was kind of terrible all-in-all.

#34 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Ryudo, on 19 Jan 2014 - 2:18 PM, said:
you were responding to the wrong person. derp on you

But since you did.
Who gives a carp about sales. the games were great.
D&amp;D yes one of the greatest arcade games ever that few got a chance to play back in the day, Best yet the SEGA Saturn copy is hard to get but I bought the physical Japan PS3 copy.
Dragon's Crown sold over 800k and was a massive success.
Ys did great and always does for Xseed dummy.
Ni No Kuni they were very happy with its sales.
Rest of it so f-ing what? The games are fantastic.
They were good so shove it. As for the Vid I CANNOT UNDERSTAND A F-ING THING THEY ARE SAYING!
I cannot understand a Scottish accent despite it being my heritage.

You can slash your Dragons crown numbers in half.

It DOES matter, why do you think less, and less, and less and less and LESS of these games are being made every year? Even in the height of the platformer mascot craze of the 90's other genres were plentiful.

You DO realize Xseed was millimeters away from permanantly being donskies right? NO MORE OF THE GAMES YOU ARE ARGUING ABOUT BEING FINE WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE EVER AGAIN. You know, the whole Index Corporation fiasco?

You DO realize games like the last story and further chapters in the y's series barely, BARELY got localised right?

You DO REALIZE that these games are going to dissapear, and that its the sole point of mega corporations like ea and activision pricing the industry out of reach, right? Getting rid of the Xseeds and Vanillawares of the world by pricing the cost of being in the industry out of their reach.

You do realize that you covering your eyes and saying 'who cares' is the same exact thing is stabbing the games you are enjoying in the face. So when they are all gone, and all thats left is fee to play garbage, and dudebro xerox of a xerox of a xerox of a xerox of a xerox of a xerox of a xerox of game design from 2003, you dont need to look any further than your own two hands for the blood.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#35 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

blah blah blah you started a random argument for no reason and even then quoted someone else. Most those games sold well and wrong about less of them. We have indies as well. If the video is about sales big whoop. They are selling well and making profit so shove it ban me whatever but you are being an asswipe  so fk off.

Edited by Ryudo, 19 January 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#36 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

blah blah blah you started a random argument for no reason and even then quoted someone else. Most those games sold well and wrong about less of them. We have indies as well. If the video is about sales big whoop. They are selling well and making profit so shove it ban me whatever but you are being an asswipe  so fk off.

The video is about whats being done to compensate the fact unnecessary expenditures for making 'standard' games are so impossibly high that selling multi million units isnt enough to break even. So they purposefully leave peices of the game out and sell them back, or purposefully design god awful progression mechanics and allow you to pay to skip them.

The games you brought up are NOT selling well, because the goalposts for doing well are being purposefully moved out of reach for middle class game studios, which is why Xseed almost went out of business, and had to be bought out to be saved.

No matter how good the games are, the companies simply dont have enough money to buy attention away from the crap factories. Last year EA alone spent over 100X the entire net value of XSEED (it was just bought for what, 14 million when they were going out of business?) 1.8 Billion dollars, soley in marketing. They are going to die, and you are helping, by closing your eyes and covering your ears. One day you are going to open your eyes, and Xseed as you knew them will all be gone.

But, of course, its too much effort and too uncomfortable to listen to what people have to say, we are just asswipes, and clearly, the companies who make games you like arent worth thinking about, especially if it makes you uncomfortable or takes effort, so much easier to just say everythings fine and watch them go under.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#37 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

You are so f-ing wrong about me I don't know where to begin. You started a random argument using my post but quoted Alex. WTF are you even on about.

I have talked to Tom at Xseed he will flat out tell you Ys did great..always does. That is why they still do physical releases for it. You are so all over the place..screw it. Just another whiteShadow,Oman type and not worth it.

I had a long post typed out but fuk it

Edited by Ryudo, 19 January 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#38 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

You are so f-ing wrong about me I don't know where to begin. You started a random argument using my post but quoted Alex. WTF are you even on about.
I have talked to Tom at Xseed he will flat out tell you Ys did great..always does. That is why they still do physical releases for it. You are so all over the place..screw it. Just another whiteShadow,Oman type and not worth it.

I had a long post typed out but fuk it

Tom? Lipshultz? The translator?

It doesnt matter, I know I used your games list in response to Alex, it doesnt matter.

If Ys does so great why did Xseed just go out of business and was bought by Sega Sammy for the bargain bin price of 14mil? Guess Tom didnt mention anything about that huh?

These studios are NOT doing fine, they are one accident away from the grave, or worse, cell phone smut peddlers. And the reason is because the industry leaders are forcing out mid teir competition by raising the price of competing. And they are paying for it by screwing over the brainwashed morons who buy their broken incomplete games.

But hey, the people who continually buy broken incomplete software dont care, and the peoples whose game styles series and genres are being routed by said crap dont care that their studios are being forced off cliffs left and right, so much so that they are completely oblivious to the fact that the one they are arguing about JUST WENT OUT OF BUSINESS IN 2013. Which is why we are in such a craptacular state. But hey, who cares about tomorrow right? I mean, you got that BIG HANDFUL of games, who cares that only half will be around next year right?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#39 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

I agree. Gaming business practices suck.

That's why I only buy Nintendo.

I actually went to a friend's house a while back, and I was shocked by the amount of loops we had to jump through just to get a  game running on the 360. We had to sign in, then it said his account was out-of-date, so we had to get him a new xbox live gold subscription, just to download some "free DLC" for certain people that bought a specific edition of a game. Then we had to find a place to put in a code, which didn't work the first two times.

The "DLC" was on the disc anyway, no downloading.

It was just a costume, a sword, and one island which took about two seconds to explore.

Edited by R00bot, 19 January 2014 - 04:38 PM.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#40 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

I agree. Gaming business practices suck.

That's why I only buy Nintendo.

I actually went to a friend's house a while back, and I was shocked by the amount of loops we had to jump through just to get a  game running on the 360. We had to sign in, then it said his account was out-of-date, so we had to get him a new xbox live gold subscription, just to download some "free DLC" for certain people that bought a specific edition of a game. Then we had to find a place to put in a code, which didn't work the first two times.

The "DLC" was on the disc anyway, no downloading.

It was just a costume, a sword, and one island which took about two seconds to explore.

Core gaming at its finest. 

pNgecl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!