Photo

Why 2013 has been the worst year in gaming.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

I agree. Gaming business practices suck.

That's why I only buy Nintendo.

I actually went to a friend's house a while back, and I was shocked by the amount of loops we had to jump through just to get a  game running on the 360. We had to sign in, then it said his account was out-of-date, so we had to get him a new xbox live gold subscription, just to download some "free DLC" for certain people that bought a specific edition of a game. Then we had to find a place to put in a code, which didn't work the first two times.

The "DLC" was on the disc anyway, no downloading.

It was just a costume, a sword, and one island which took about two seconds to explore.

AC4, also i dont remember needed to put in a code to explore the wiIU version 'free dlc' gamestop exclusive island. 

also i am in the group that actualy hopes a gaming crash happens.

#42 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

AC4, also i dont remember needed to put in a code to explore the wiIU version 'free dlc' gamestop exclusive island.

also i am in the group that actualy hopes a gaming crash happens.

You did need a code. It was a small card that gave instructions on what to do.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#43 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Oh really, then why was your response a list of games you thought were good?
Here, lets take a look at what the article is REALLY about with the list of games you provided.

Dungeons & Dragons re-release
An old arcade game? Really? All this does is prove games of a past generation are significantly better than most of whats out today.

Dragon's Crown
Failed miserably in sales. Making titles of this type has been negatively reinforced by the games media and the mass market. Less likely to see another.

Ys Memories in Celceta
Absolutely abysmal sales. Negative reinforcements to making more titles like this.

The Wonderful 101
Absolutely horrible, terrible sales. Extreme negative reinforcement of making games of this tyoe on the platform it released on.

new Sly Cooper
Abysmal sales. Say goodbye to sly cooper.

Sonic Lost World
Abysmal sales, negative reinforcement of the only 3d sonic game that didnt suck.

Mario 3D World
Abysmal sales for a 3d mario game, hasnt broke a million in any individual region. Sales are so bad, they got nintendo thinking to make idiot games like smart phone apps and nickel and dime, instead of great games like 3dworld at a single premium price.

Fire Emblem Awakening
I thought you said you knew what this was about? Why are you bringing up Handhelds? Specifically Nintendo handhelds? I dont know why I am explaining this, since you claim to already know it... But Fire emblem awakening expressely does NOT follow the business model talked about in this video. Its a whole game, made with a smart budget, that was able to profit from modest sales, from a company who doesnt feel the need to turn every single game into call of duty clones.

Ni No Kuni
Bad sales. 'only' 1 million today because of the current hostile environment being enforced in todays industry, is not enough sales to warrant furthwer interest in similar style games. Games like Ni no Kuni have been negatively reinforced.

Brothers a Tale of Two Sons
Abysmal sales. A tiny fraction of their Riddick fps sales... which were pretty small to begin with... good thing it was just an hd re release of an old XBox game. Guess what Starbreeze wont be making in the future? Games like a tale of two sons. Guess what star breeze will be making in the future? Call of duty-ified fps r other mainstream braindead garbage. Or theyll go out of business. Probably both.

Rain (PS3)
Sales so low it cant even be tracked. I have been waiting SEVEN YEARS for a team ico game. I BOUGHT THE PS3 SPECIFICALLY FOR said team ico game, and thanks to this craptastic generation, there is no place for a game like the last guardian, and the beutifal but completely ignored rain is simply proof. Goodbye originality, hello more dudebro shootbang.

Gone Home
I thought you said you knew what this was about? Why are you bringing up Indie games? Psudo games? Er.. Non games...

The Stanley Parable came out in 2011.
Congratulations, every single game you listed is a dying breed thanks to the disgusting state of the industry today.

Hope you enjoy knowing the fact, that once those kinds of games you like dissapear, and all thats left is smart phone garbage and dudebro crap, all paired with godawful nickel and dime pay to pay crap business models because its the only way the industry can sustain its filth, that you were right there with everyone else murdering anything good that was left with a blind fold on.

I've never seen so much horrible misinformation in my life. Ryudo pretty much summed it up for me though, good on him.

Dragon's Crown was a runaway success and is Vanillaware's best selling game of all time. But it failed miserably according to you.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time had the best opening sales of a Sly Cooper game. Sony made a profit on the game and Sanzaru will probably be making a Sly 5.

Ys: Memories of Celceta was a money maker as well.  You act like they won't release another Ys game? Are you insane? Like they are going to let a 25 year franchise go down the toilet? 

Ni No Kuni sold over 1.4 million and was a runaway success for Level 5. You will be seeing a Ni No Kuni 2 reveal this year most likely.  

So stop with the stupid hyperbole and get the gun away from your head. Everything is going to be alright buddy.

#44 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

I wasn't sure so I double-checked.  Forza 5 has 14 tracks and over 200 cars.  Forza 4 had 26 tracks and over 500 cars.  They basically said that due to production costs for "Next Gen Quality" they cut out a lot, but are selling some of it later as DLC. 

Quote:
"We found that we ship a game that has over 200 cars, and they're all to this level of detail with huge diversity. It's been a successful program for us, having the paid DLC. Those that don't want it don't have to get it, and those that want it can buy it. The season pass allows them to buy it as a subscription." 

Source-http://www.eurogamer...ks-than-forza-4

Yeah, the business side of 2013 was kind of terrible all-in-all.

I honestly expect less content from a launch game.
If forza 6 doesn't have a similar number to 4 then you'll have a point.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#45 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Oh really, then why was your response a list of games you thought were good?
Here, lets take a look at what the article is REALLY about with the list of games you provided.

Dungeons & Dragons re-release
An old arcade game? Really? All this does is prove games of a past generation are significantly better than most of whats out today.

Dragon's Crown
Failed miserably in sales. Making titles of this type has been negatively reinforced by the games media and the mass market. Less likely to see another.

Ys Memories in Celceta
Absolutely abysmal sales. Negative reinforcements to making more titles like this.

The Wonderful 101
Absolutely horrible, terrible sales. Extreme negative reinforcement of making games of this tyoe on the platform it released on.

new Sly Cooper
Abysmal sales. Say goodbye to sly cooper.

Sonic Lost World
Abysmal sales, negative reinforcement of the only 3d sonic game that didnt suck.

Mario 3D World
Abysmal sales for a 3d mario game, hasnt broke a million in any individual region. Sales are so bad, they got nintendo thinking to make idiot games like smart phone apps and nickel and dime, instead of great games like 3dworld at a single premium price.

Fire Emblem Awakening
I thought you said you knew what this was about? Why are you bringing up Handhelds? Specifically Nintendo handhelds? I dont know why I am explaining this, since you claim to already know it... But Fire emblem awakening expressely does NOT follow the business model talked about in this video. Its a whole game, made with a smart budget, that was able to profit from modest sales, from a company who doesnt feel the need to turn every single game into call of duty clones.

Ni No Kuni
Bad sales. 'only' 1 million today because of the current hostile environment being enforced in todays industry, is not enough sales to warrant furthwer interest in similar style games. Games like Ni no Kuni have been negatively reinforced.

Brothers a Tale of Two Sons
Abysmal sales. A tiny fraction of their Riddick fps sales... which were pretty small to begin with... good thing it was just an hd re release of an old XBox game. Guess what Starbreeze wont be making in the future? Games like a tale of two sons. Guess what star breeze will be making in the future? Call of duty-ified fps r other mainstream braindead garbage. Or theyll go out of business. Probably both.

Rain (PS3)
Sales so low it cant even be tracked. I have been waiting SEVEN YEARS for a team ico game. I BOUGHT THE PS3 SPECIFICALLY FOR said team ico game, and thanks to this craptastic generation, there is no place for a game like the last guardian, and the beutifal but completely ignored rain is simply proof. Goodbye originality, hello more dudebro shootbang.

Gone Home
I thought you said you knew what this was about? Why are you bringing up Indie games? Psudo games? Er.. Non games...

The Stanley Parable came out in 2011.
Congratulations, every single game you listed is a dying breed thanks to the disgusting state of the industry today.

Hope you enjoy knowing the fact, that once those kinds of games you like dissapear, and all thats left is smart phone garbage and dudebro crap, all paired with godawful nickel and dime pay to pay crap business models because its the only way the industry can sustain its filth, that you were right there with everyone else murdering anything good that was left with a blind fold on.

If what it takes to get gaming back on track is for the big names to completely fail, then I'm all for it. I've already transitioned over to lesser known games with a couple of the big dogs in the mix. What's great is that indy companies have proven that they don't need to sell millions of copies to make good games. Yes, some of them will make one good game, then struggle, but for the consumer it's a brighter situation. There will always be the next indy company trying to make the next indy gem. I personally am looking forward to the 100 million dollar budget games disappearing and seeing what smaller companies combined with the users (modding) can come up with.

#46 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:42 AM

thechamp80, on 19 Jan 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:
I've never seen so much horrible misinformation in my life. Ryudo pretty much summed it up for me though, good on him.
Dragon's Crown was a runaway success and is Vanillaware's best selling game of all time. But it failed miserably according to you.
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time had the best opening sales of a Sly Cooper game. Sony made a profit on the game and Sanzaru will probably be making a Sly 5.
Ys: Memories of Celceta was a money maker as well. You act like they won't release another Ys game? Are you insane? Like they are going to let a 25 year franchise go down the toilet?
Ni No Kuni sold over 1.4 million and was a runaway success for Level 5. You will be seeing a Ni No Kuni 2 reveal this year most likely.

So stop with the stupid hyperbole and get the gun away from your head. Everything is going to be alright buddy.

Xseed doesnt make Ys, they localize it, Falcom makes Ys, and being that japan practically has a national holiday for the series, its not going anywhere... in japan, Xseed is the only reason its ever seen the light of day in the states, and yes, THE COMPANY JUST WENT OUT OF BUSINESS A COUPLE MONTHS AGO. You can thank sega sammy for buying it and allowing xseed/marvelous to keep being themselves. They wont get that lucky again.

Personally, I dont much care for ys, or many things xseed localizes, like atlus's stuff. I find they generally contain all the parts of rpg's I simply tolerate in order to get to the things I really enjoy... but with the things I enjoy... well, removed. This isnt for me, its for the idiots who are saying 'derp, what are yux guyz talking about? gaming never been better!!!!!', this is your chance to pull your head out of the dirt before the runaway semi splatters you, and at least beable to say, 'at least I didnt help kill them'.

Dragons crown sold about as much on two different platforms as odin blade and muramusa sold on one, around 0.6 million units moved. your 'best selling gamz of all timerz!!!!!!!! Is a whopping difference of about 0.06.... Again, across 2 seperate platforms vs 1. Except, dragons crown cost about 10x more to make than odin sphere or muramusa, thanks to the demands of developing that beautiful artwork for use in an hd engine. Dragons crown also lucked out and got a butt ton of exposure by the idiot 'gamz midia' by trying to crap all over the games art style.

With the release of next gen systems the cost of game development went up 8x (according to capcoms own next gen dev costs), what you consider a 'runaway success', which was really just 'average success' minus considerably higher cost of production, just became non profitable on consoles. Goalposts moved.

Sly cooper was a runaway success huh? Wow, 0.4M units moved.... across 2 systems. Let me tell you about some other sly cooper level and biger 'runaway successes' from sce:

Colony wars
Alundra
Dark cloud
Jak and Daxter
Ico
Shadow of the colossus (gee, I wonder why the last guardian never came out, but infinity billion uncharteds were crapped all over the place)
The Legend of Dragooon
Ghost Hunter

Huh, where are they now? Oh, they only sold 1-2 million, and were deemed not enough roi to try making new installments when Sony could just crap out uncharteds and gows instead. Now let me tell you about how Sony is different now. Sony is screwed. Sony is screwed six ways to sunday, and it has nothing to do with their gaming division. SOny is bleeding money like a stuck pig, Sony, one of the biggest electronics manufacturers in the world, is getting its butt kicked so bad in all its other markets (Courtesy of rising Korean electronics) that its worth LESS than a games only company with an abysmal failing system (Yes, Nintendo).

So, its time for sony to greenlight some games

hmm... lets see.... hmm.... another slycooper, with 0.4 million sales, or crap out uncharted 4 for a garunteed 5-10 million... hmmm... Whats going to happen.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#47 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Xseed doesnt make Ys, they localize it, Falcom makes Ys, and being that japan practically has a national holiday for the series, its not going anywhere... in japan, Xseed is the only reason its ever seen the light of day in the states, and yes, THE COMPANY JUST WENT OUT OF BUSINESS A COUPLE MONTHS AGO. You can thank sega sammy for buying it and allowing xseed/marvelous to keep being themselves. They wont get that lucky again.

Personally, I dont much care for ys, or many things xseed localizes, like atlus's stuff. I find they generally contain all the parts of rpg's I simply tolerate in order to get to the things I really enjoy... but with the things I enjoy... well, removed. This isnt for me, its for the idiots who are saying 'derp, what are yux guyz talking about? gaming never been better!!!!!', this is your chance to pull your head out of the dirt before the runaway semi splatters you, and at least beable to say, 'at least I didnt help kill them'.

Dragons crown sold about as much on two different platforms as odin blade and muramusa sold on one, around 0.6 million units moved. your 'best selling gamz of all timerz!!!!!!!! Is a whopping difference of about 0.06.... Again, across 2 seperate platforms vs 1. Except, dragons crown cost about 10x more to make than odin sphere or muramusa, thanks to the demands of developing that beautiful artwork for use in an hd engine. Dragons crown also lucked out and got a butt ton of exposure by the idiot 'gamz midia' by trying to crap all over the games art style.

With the release of next gen systems the cost of game development went up 8x (according to capcoms own next gen dev costs), what you consider a 'runaway success', which was really just 'average success' minus considerably higher cost of production, just became non profitable on consoles. Goalposts moved.

Sly cooper was a runaway success huh? Wow, 0.4M units moved.... across 2 systems. Let me tell you about some other sly cooper level and biger 'runaway successes' from sce:

Colony wars
Alundra
Dark cloud
Jak and Daxter
Ico
Shadow of the colossus (gee, I wonder why the last guardian never came out, but infinity billion uncharteds were crapped all over the place)
The Legend of Dragooon
Ghost Hunter

Huh, where are they now? Oh, they only sold 1-2 million, and were deemed not enough roi to try making new installments when Sony could just crap out uncharteds and gows instead. Now let me tell you about how Sony is different now. Sony is screwed. Sony is screwed six ways to sunday, and it has nothing to do with their gaming division. SOny is bleeding money like a stuck pig, Sony, one of the biggest electronics manufacturers in the world, is getting its butt kicked so bad in all its other markets (Courtesy of rising Korean electronics) that its worth LESS than a games only company with an abysmal failing system (Yes, Nintendo).

So, its time for sony to greenlight some games

hmm... lets see.... hmm.... another slycooper, with 0.4 million sales, or crap out uncharted 4 for a garunteed 5-10 million... hmmm... Whats going to happen.

Xseed is not Atlus. You have those two companies quite confused buddy.

#48 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

Xseed is not Atlus. You have those two companies quite confused buddy.

Actually they kinda are now....

But I think you are right. As I said earlier, I dont really like either atlus's rpg's or the large majority of Xseeds localizations, for pretty similar reasons. (that doesnt mean I dont care if they go) It was Atlus who went out of business and got saved.

ATLUS subsidiary ATLUS online was purchased by xseed and marvelous aql became marvelous usa...

So, a part of ATLUS actually IS Xseed now.

But regaurdless, the point is clear, the current industry environment is EXTREMELY hostile to the kinds of studios that make these ever dwindling games of actual variety, and the smallest hiccup, even something completely unrelated can devastate said studio and quickly put them under, or relegate them to cell phone smut. Right now you have 'AAAAAAAAA' dont ever do anything new or different crap factory, or crowd funded/Indie, while the Midsize studios are weeded out. And this environment was purposefully manufactured to be this way.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#49 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Actually they kinda are now....

But I think you are right. As I said earlier, I dont really like either atlus's rpg's or the large majority of Xseeds localizations, for pretty similar reasons. (that doesnt mean I dont care if they go) It was Atlus who went out of business and got saved.

ATLUS subsidiary ATLUS online was purchased by xseed and marvelous aql became marvelous usa...

So, a part of ATLUS actually IS Xseed now.

But regaurdless, the point is clear, the current industry environment is EXTREMELY hostile to the kinds of studios that make these ever dwindling games of actual variety, and the smallest hiccup, even something completely unrelated can devastate said studio and quickly put them under, or relegate them to cell phone smut. Right now you have 'AAAAAAAAA' dont ever do anything new or different crap factory, or crowd funded/Indie, while the Midsize studios are weeded out. And this environment was purposefully manufactured to be this way.

Well I don't have any concerns with Atlus or smaller companies like that. They don't put huge amounts of money on the line for niche games and aren't forced to make mobile games.

#50 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

. Atlus online was bought by  Xseeds parent company and absorbed into it. Now it's called  Marvelous USA. Not even part of Atlus anymore. No more than Monolith is part of NAMCO. Index had nothing to do with Xseed,never did. Email Ken at Xseed or go message Tom yourself at Ancient Ys.

That said Atlus and Xseed make profit. They set realistic enough goals and don't make/publish anything out of their means like Capcom would or Square. About everything they put out makes profit. You don't need millions to sell to make good profit in companies like those. Dragon's Crown was the most expensive game Vanillaware ever developed at $1 Million. Kickstarters often do more than that. I bet Dr Luigi cost more than that..well maybe not. So when it sold 800k to them be the same when Mario Kart sells 10-15 million. They were hoping in the very best maybe 250k..realistic might have been 150k. Sold 800k. They made out like Gangbusters. Last year there was a big hoopla about Xseed going all digital. Upset many fans. Xseed reassured Ys fans that Ys sells well enough to produce physical copies. Trails in the Sky is digital now. So TITS2 is no longer a boxed copy. Xseed maybe the new Working Designs but they are not mismanaging money like WD.

Edited by Ryudo, 21 January 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#51 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

Gonna have to disagree as well. 2013 was a very good gaming year for me, producing some of my favorite games.

I don't even...

#52 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

. Atlus online was bought by Xseeds parent company and absorbed into it. Now it's called Marvelous USA. Not even part of Atlus anymore. No more than Monolith is part of NAMCO. Index had nothing to do with Xseed,never did. Email Ken at Xseed or go message Tom yourself at Ancient Ys.

That said Atlus and Xseed make profit. They set realistic enough goals and don't make/publish anything out of their means like Capcom would or Square. About everything they put out makes profit. You don't need millions to sell to make good profit in companies like those. Dragon's Crown was the most expensive game Vanillaware ever developed at $1 Million. Kickstarters often do more than that. I bet Dr Luigi cost more than that..well maybe not. So when it sold 800k to them be the same when Mario Kart sells 10-15 million. They were hoping in the very best maybe 250k..realistic might have been 150k. Sold 800k. They made out like Gangbusters. Last year there was a big hoopla about Xseed going all digital. Upset many fans. Xseed reassured Ys fans that Ys sells well enough to produce physical copies. Trails in the Sky is digital now. So TITS2 is no longer a boxed copy. Xseed maybe the new Working Designs but they are not mismanaging money like WD.

Look 1 post up.

Yes, I brought up dragon crown being the most expensive game vanillaware ever made... And also how it basically sold the same across 2 platforms as odin sphere or muramusa sold on one. And, if they want to stay with consoles its only going to get more and more expensive whilst their sales stay the same.... Or they are going to have to drop to less powerful platforms for lead sku's... like 3ds or vita, whose production costs for quality games are more in line with what they did previous gens.

Well thats fine right? Great games for 3ds and vita, like what they are doing now. Well, what happens when the next round of handhelds comeout and even the handhelds are out of reasonable reach?

Yes, RIGHT NOW they are doing fine, the problem is, the environment has become so hostile to companies like xseed and atlus that one small problem can be devastating, and put them out of business. Just look at atlus, index's garbage had nothing to do with them, or their games, but it put them out of business until they were saved.

You dont have to look very far at all to find a huuuuge grave yard of good, responsible studios screwed over the course of this generation.

Its the result of the out of control budgets from the publishers driving the industry. The budgets are being made so ridiculous so as to ensure that if you dont have those kind of resources at your disposal, you cant compete for mindshare. These budgets arent even for making the games. The major publishers spend more on advertising in a year, than the entire NET WORTH of these mid size studios.

And no, Im NOT talking about commercials, you have no idea how sick this crap gets.

i.imgur.com/K524Kmz.png

And these budgets keep skyrocketing. Even the big names cant keep up with their own monster, which is why we arrived here at microtransactions.

That small handfull of games you brought up arent very comforting when you look up and realize the path you were walking on was actually the corpses of their freinds stacked to make a path, and then you look forward and see the murder machine that awaits whats left.

2013 is NOT a good year for gaming, and no matter what gems you find in its foul cracks, it doesnt change anything. Because it was never about the games themselves, It was about the business practices, the games are just hostages, waiting to be rescued are executed.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#53 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Gonna have to disagree as well. 2013 was a very good gaming year for me, producing some of my favorite games.

We aren't discussing game titles here. The title needs to be changed to tell people that this topic is about how terrible the actual business practices in game development have become, with 2013 being a low point on that matter.

The games have without a doubt been great.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 21 January 2014 - 04:39 PM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#54 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

This is crazy. If you look at the top 10 selling games across the US, UK, and Japan, you can correlate 2013 to a bad year. The USA, sigh, has 2 COD games on the list. TWO! The UK, while slightly different, mirrors similar concepts that also work well in the USA. 

Japan is different, yet would you, as a publisher, focus on that market or the larger territories? Do we have data from a company that tried to? Wait, we do, and they are going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars. 

2013 sucked for the first two top 10 lists, as the trend will continue. Play virtual paintball, dance like a prick, buy sequel number 39, but do not support originality in this industry. 

Look at the top 10 cross-platform sellers of the year for the US (http://segmentnext.c...g-game-2013-us/):

1. Grand Theft Auto 5

2. Call of Duty: Ghosts

3. Madden NFL 25

4. Battlefield 4

5. Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag

6. NBA 2K14

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

8. Just Dance 2014

9. Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition

10. Disney Infinity

Now the UK (http://metro.co.uk/2...vealed-4265929/):

1. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar)

2. FIFA 14 (EA)

3. Call Of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)

4. Battlefield 4 (EA)

5. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft)

6. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)

7. FIFA 13 (EA)

8. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (WB Games)

9. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)

10. The Last Of Us (Sony)

Now Japan (http://wiiudaily.com...s-of-2013-list/)

:

1. Pokemon X / Y – 3,976.829
  2. Monster Hunter 4 – 3,923,312
  3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 1,730,182
  4. Friend Collection: New Life – 1,580,067
  5. Dragon Quest VII Remake – 1,227,377
  6. Puzzles and Dragons Z – 1,005,697
  7. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 982,737
  8. Grand Theft Auto V – 605,882
  9. New Super Mario Bros. U – 584,479 (bundle sales included)
  10. Wii Party U – 518,776 (bundle sales included)

#55 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

This is crazy. If you look at the top 10 selling games across the US, UK, and Japan, you can correlate 2013 to a bad year. The USA, sigh, has 2 COD games on the list. TWO! The UK, while slightly different, mirrors similar concepts that also work well in the USA. 

Japan is different, yet would you, as a publisher, focus on that market or the larger territories? Do we have data from a company that tried to? Wait, we do, and they are going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars. 

2013 sucked for the first two top 10 lists, as the trend will continue. Play virtual paintball, dance like a prick, buy sequel number 39, but do not support originality in this industry. 

Look at the top 10 cross-platform sellers of the year for the US (http://segmentnext.c...g-game-2013-us/):

1. Grand Theft Auto 5

2. Call of Duty: Ghosts

3. Madden NFL 25

4. Battlefield 4

5. Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag

6. NBA 2K14

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

8. Just Dance 2014

9. Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition

10. Disney Infinity

Now the UK (http://metro.co.uk/2...vealed-4265929/):

1. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar)

2. FIFA 14 (EA)

3. Call Of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)

4. Battlefield 4 (EA)

5. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft)

6. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)

7. FIFA 13 (EA)

8. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (WB Games)

9. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)

10. The Last Of Us (Sony)

Now Japan (http://wiiudaily.com...s-of-2013-list/)

:

1. Pokemon X / Y – 3,976.829
  2. Monster Hunter 4 – 3,923,312
  3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 1,730,182
  4. Friend Collection: New Life – 1,580,067
  5. Dragon Quest VII Remake – 1,227,377
  6. Puzzles and Dragons Z – 1,005,697
  7. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 982,737
  8. Grand Theft Auto V – 605,882
  9. New Super Mario Bros. U – 584,479 (bundle sales included)
  10. Wii Party U – 518,776 (bundle sales included)

Not everyone is a hardcore gamer. COD is the epitome of most people's gaming exposure and advertising dollars play a lot into that. Also two COD games are usually in the top selling every year, as it releases late in November anyway. 

#56 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Not everyone is a hardcore gamer. COD is the epitome of most people's gaming exposure and advertising dollars play a lot into that. Also two COD games are usually in the top selling every year, as it releases late in November anyway. 

Exactly! The second sentence feeds the first. 

Not everyone was a hardcore gamer playing SMB in 1986. Same for those playing Star Fox in 1993. Ditto with Mario 64 in 1996. Same again with MGS in 1998. The original Halo brought something new in 2001, which had people playing DOA 3 along side it. Even 2005-2007 brought us Mario Galaxy, the first Crysis, and, unfortunately, COD 4 (at this point something novel). 

Since then, it has been a race to singularity. Almost like 2014's version of pong and space invaders with different skins. 

#57 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

<-- completely disagrees with this thread.

#58 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Did you read it though? I'm pretty sure if you did you wouldn't be so insistent on saying that.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#59 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Did you read it though? I'm pretty sure if you did you wouldn't be so insistent on saying that.

Not person you're quoting but...

I usually completely read through threads, and I read through the beginning of this one, but just skimmed the rest because you guys all got hung up on the title of the video rather than the content of the video.

I'm seriously confused by how everyone managed to be so far off point.

None of you should play golf ever.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#60 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

Not person you're quoting but...

I usually completely read through threads, and I read through the beginning of this one, but just skimmed the rest because you guys all got hung up on the title of the video rather than the content of the video.

I'm seriously confused by how everyone managed to be so far off point.

None of you should play golf ever.

Maybe they didn't watch the video and just posted the good games that came out this year thinking that's what the video was about?

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!