• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

The Xbox One can't be counted out just yet, but the thing with the Kinect 2.0 although it is mandatory to purchase, it is not mandatory to use. You can use the standard controller to navigate through the Xbox One interface.

The Xbox One also has the advantage of having what looks like some amazing exclusive games and a vast array of third party games. The Xbox One is in a much better situation than the Wii U. The tablet controller is mandatory to buy and you are forced to use it. You can use the Pro Controller, the Wii motes and nunchuck, but the tablet controller has to remain on, it's connected to the Wii U permanently.

You're right the Wii U isn't selling because Nintendo hasn't released all of their big AAA titles, titles which move Nintendo systems, but just look back at the Gamecube days, they had great games on the system and it sold 21 million units, the N64 had great games, but still only sold 32 million units which are no poor figures until you compare those figures to the PS2 which sold 155million+ units and the PS1 sold 100million+ units.

The odd choices of hardware have effected third party development and ultimately have limited the variety and number of games on Nintendo platforms. This has ultimately effected the install base of their consoles.

The Wii U is suffering from that, there aren't enough first or third party games that appeal to a majority of consumers, factor in the underpowered hardware and the mandatory gimmicky controller, is it any wonder the Wii U is struggling?

Sonic has always done well on Nintendo consoles? Sonic Lost World has around 180,000 units since its launch in October. Hardly selling well is it? I do hope that Nintendo learns from its mistakes, they've made plenty of mistakes and I hope their software is able to get them back on track and well on the way to making profits on all their hardware and software currently in circulation.

The N64 was more powerful than the PS1, but Nintendo decided to be different and carried on using cartridges when Sony were using discs. Where Nintendo were successful was with their software, Super Mario 64 was a massive game changer as was Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros was a great new franchise and Mario Kart 64 was one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played.

However the N64 suffered from a lack of third party support in comparison to the PS1 which had plenty. Sony came into the market with hardware which developers wanted and also bought third parties on board. Nintendo carried on being Nintendo marching to the beat of their own drum.

The Gamecube was a better console than the PS2, and you're right it didn't have a gimmicky controller, it did have the mini-disc system which hurt it imo. Once again the PS2 had a standard disc based system and was very much centered around what third party developers wanted. Sony engaged with third parties and the results showed.

As for the Wii U being visually more impressive graphics wise than the PS4, I'm sorry but that's plain ridiculous. Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse Son of Rome have already showcased the graphical prowess of the new systems and they look better than anything on the Wii U.

I don't doubt the Wii U will produce some graphically great games, in fact it already has, Pikmin 3, WWHD, SM3DW and Rayman Legends show case just how good the Wii U's graphical capabilities are, I also hope that Project CARS goes one step further, but to say someone won't be able to tell the difference between Wii U graphics and PS4 graphics is just wide of the mark.

Have a look at AC IV comparison between all three consoles and the PS4 version looks better than the other two versions. The gap will only widen as this generation progresses.

What does it matter if its on? The Kinnect 2.0 IS ALWAYS on as well. Whether or not you use it, is up to you.

And I completely agree the Xbox One is in a better situation. In fact, I believe it's because of exclusive games - both third and first party games - that make the Xbox One in a good situation. Has nothing to do with Kinnect 2.0, graphics or design. But the games make the GAMING SYSTEM worth playing.

And about graphics. http://m.youtube.com...h?v=-SFr4sI_Qho here is a killzone game. Game play.

Here is X ( http://m.youtube.com...h?v=G6Q4ld4uqcY ).

These graphics are far superior then what Sony has shown so far. And it's really not that hard to understand, looking at the specs. The Wii U had a tri core CPU clocked around 1.2 GHZ (assuming you believe the rumors). The PS4 has an 8 core AMD Jaguar clocked around 1.6 GHZ. Which, according to multiple sources, game developers can use four cores for games.

So, yes the graphics on the PS4 will be better but the Wii U will be able to keep up. We won't see third party developers putting the effort into the Wii U - Nintendo's fault - but first and second party titles will look splendid. In fact, I showed X to a friend (Xbox fanboy) and he thought X was a new Final Fantasy and asked if its coming to Xbox One. I told him it was on the Wii U and he didn't believe me.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#82 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

We're just going around in circles, so I'll end this now.

In regards to the Kinect, if you unplug it and box it away, it cannot be used whatsoever. If I unplug my Microwave or Kettle those devices will not function.

Secondly in regards to the graphical prowess of the Wii U and PS4, while I agree the Wii U will have some great looking games (it does already) and it can hold 1080p/60fps as shown in several games and the console has more games in 1080p native and 60fps then either the Xbox One or PS4 respectively, the PS4 will produce better looking games and if you line up the two consoles with the same game i.e. Project Cars I reckon you'll be see a visible difference between the two.

Edited by SailtheSeas, 23 January 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#83 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

http://www.pretendo....a-allowed-fail/

This is very much a good article about Nintendo, and why Iwata should be allowed to fail.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!