48 replies to this topic

#21 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

Point is Nintendo isn't doomed.

Not yet, but there is still time for that to change.

#22 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

How?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#23 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

How?

Well they're struggling financially at the moment and that's even with their handheld system being the best selling console of 2013. They're chasing the casual market yet again by delving into the smartphone and tablet industries and they're opening up to the idea of leasing out their IP's.

Nintendo may not be doomed, but the fact the founding family of Nintendo are set to sell of their entire shares to Nintendo says everything to me.

#24 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Why so much hate for Nintendo? I can understand being discouraged and disappointed, but Nintendo has slumps like every company and, unlike multiple companies who fail, they are admitting they need to change. So it's not even pointing towards failure yet.

Well they're struggling financially at the moment and that's even with their handheld system being the best selling console of 2013. They're chasing the casual market yet again by delving into the smartphone and tablet industries and they're opening up to the idea of leasing out their IP's.

Nintendo may not be doomed, but the fact the founding family of Nintendo are set to sell of their entire shares to Nintendo says everything to me.

Struggling financially? I think you need to redefine struggling. Having three losses in a row in over like, what, over 100 years of just making profits (including when the company opened as a card maker)? They are loaded. And EVERY company goes through times where they loss money. It happens.

Just to show you, http://www.nytimes.c...-writedown.html MS took a dive on a Qtr. Yes, not yearly (that I could find on a five minute search on my phone), but it happens. It's only the end if the company goes the wrong direction for too long. Nintendo hasn't reached that point yet.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#25 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

Why so much hate for Nintendo? I can understand being discouraged and disappointed, but Nintendo has slumps like every company and, unlike multiple companies who fail, they are admitting they need to change. So it's not even pointing towards failure yet.

Struggling financially? I think you need to redefine struggling. Having three losses in a row in over like, what, over 100 years of just making profits (including when the company opened as a card maker)? They are loaded. And EVERY company goes through times where they loss money. It happens.

Just to show you, http://www.nytimes.c...-writedown.html MS took a dive on a Qtr. Yes, not yearly (that I could find on a five minute search on my phone), but it happens. It's only the end if the company goes the wrong direction for too long. Nintendo hasn't reached that point yet.

I don't hate Nintendo, I'm just disappointed at what Nintendo has become under Iwata. Yes he's their most successful CEO. The DS and the Wii are Nintendo's best selling consoles of all time, but the Wii U is proving to be one of the worst, it's nearly as bad as the Sega Saturn.

Under Iwata all Nintendo seem to cater to is casual gamers i.e. young children and families. Instead of catering to their traditional fan base who bought the NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube consoles they've basically stuck their middle finger up at those people and are proceeding to chase after the casual gamers by dipping into the mobile and tablet markets.

Nintendo is refusing to adapt, it's refusing to change and Iwata's persistence on chasing after the casuals who bought the Wii and moved on and all he's doing is further isolating Nintendo from ordinary gamers and he's making Nintendo an irrelevant player in the home console market.

What is perhaps more worrying is that Iwata has already stated that their next home console will have architecture based on the Wii U. Well he can count me out, I've been ripped off once with the Wii U, Nintendo can count me back in when they stop catering to casual gamers and end this obsession with underpowered, gimmicky hardware.

Three years of yearly losses and the best selling console on the market cannot stop the loss of money, I'd consider that struggling wouldn't you? Yes companies lose money, but to compare Microsoft to Nintendo is ridiculous. Microsoft's net worth is $69-$70bn and Nintendo's worth is an estimated $14bn.

Also Microsoft's Xbox One is selling and give it two or three months will have surpassed the Wii U in lifetime sales. The reason? Microsoft hasn't ignored it's core fan base to jump on a trendy bandwagon like Nintendo has and it has third party support and is committed to releasing its franchises.

Can you imagine Microsoft sitting on Metroid and Star fox IP's and not doing anything with those franchises?

As I've said I was duped by Nintendo's E3 direct, I shouldn't have bought the Wii U and now I'm stuck with a console that is gathering dust and the constant drone of "Please, understand",

#26 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

I got a Wii U back in April- played it a ton through around Oct.  Got a 3ds in late August.  I sort of felt the same way in that I started playing the 3ds a ton more than my Wii U.  Some was due to convenience, some due to the newness of my 3ds, some due to getting little burned out on the other system.  Recently tho, with Supermario 3d, Castestorm, Dungeons & Dragons and Rayman, I've really had fun with those.  Never had any regrets with my purchase

The difference between the Gamecube days and the present day is that Nintendo had a larger pool of third party support. This is simply not the case anymore. Nearly every third party game coming out doesn't have a title lined up for the Wii U. Nintendo is under even more pressure to get their games out and Nintendo just doesn't have to the infrastructure to get it's games out as quickly as possible because that's all Nintendo has in its arsenal to turn the fortunes of the Wii U around.

We've had no concentrate release date for Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros is supposed to come out later on the year, but they still haven't got all of the characters chosen, X was shown at E3 and nothing since, the same with games like SMTXFE and Yoshi Yarn.

Unless Nintendo get their backside into gear, the Wii U will be the second and last Nintendo home console I'll buy. Their handheld systems are fantastic and I will purchase them in the future. The 3DS XL is a brilliant console, delighted with it and I've had a blast playing Pokemon X and Y, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Mario Kart 7. As for the Wii U, it's had its moments over the last 7 months, but if I could go back in time I wouldn't have purchased the Wii U at all, I'd have just gone with the 3DS XL.

Nintendo should seriously consider focusing solely on handheld gaming and leave the console market because clearly they are not invested in the Wii U as they ought to be and I'm getting fed up of having to wait months for games.

There is no evidence to suggest that Super Smash Bros will be coming out this year. Also apart from Donkey Kong, Watch Dogs, Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2 what other games are scheduled to come out on the Wii U in 2014?

#27 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

I got a Wii U back in April- played it a ton through around Oct.  Got a 3ds in late August.  I sort of felt the same way in that I started playing the 3ds a ton more than my Wii U.  Some was due to convenience, some due to the newness of my 3ds, some due to getting little burned out on the other system.  Recently tho, with Supermario 3d, Castestorm, Dungeons & Dragons and Rayman, I've really had fun with those.  Never had any regrets with my purchase

I didn't feel this way until recently, I've started using my 3DS XL a lot more over the last three months and to be it's just a much better console. I hope that when Mario Kart 8 comes out I'll be playing the Wii U a whole lot more, but if I could turn back the clock, I would have skipped the Wii U and just bought the 3DS XL.

Nintendo should pull out of the home console market as they're on the road to irrelevance in that market and focus on their handheld consoles which have always been fantastic little devices with fantastic library of games.

You get real games on the 3DS XL unlike rubbish like Wii Party U and Wii Fit U and whatever other shovelware is thrown onto the system.

#28 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

He's really reaching if he wants to try to compare the Xbox One and Wii U to talk about 'struggling'. The Xbox brand has never in three generations actually generated a net gain for Microsoft. They've always put more money in to it than they've ever made. If anyone is struggling then it's Sony. They may have posted a profit, but they did it through selling off assets. Nintendo can manage if the Wii U bombs, but Sony NEEDS the PS4 to not only succeed.

pNgecl.gif

#29 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

He's really reaching if he wants to try to compare the Xbox One and Wii U to talk about 'struggling'. The Xbox brand has never in three generations actually generated a net gain for Microsoft. They've always put more money in to it than they've ever made. If anyone is struggling then it's Sony. They may have posted a profit, but they did it through selling off assets. Nintendo can manage if the Wii U bombs, but Sony NEEDS the PS4 to not only succeed.

What a way to miss the point.

No company can afford a failed product, if the Wii U fails, then it will paint a damning verdict of what the consumer thinks of Nintendo's latest home console and the fact that Iwata has allegedly said that Nintendo will be basing their next home console around the architecture worries me greatly. If the consumer doesn't want what Nintendo is offering with the Wii U, why is Nintendo allegedly planning their next console on the blue print of the Wii U?

You're right that the Xbox brand has never made a profit thus far, it has cost Microsoft a lot of money and there have been some people within Microsoft i.e. Co-founder Paul Allen who have called for the sale of the Xbox Division. Though the Xbox One is reportedly making Microsoft a $27 profit on every unit sold and that's without Xbox Live subscription and games being taken into account.

Where you are mistaken with Microsoft is that the games industry is not their bread and butter, they are a diverse company and don't need to be in the industry in order to survive.

The same applies to Sony, they are another diverse company, though you are right, Sony is not in the best place financially and will take more than a successful console to turn their fortunes around.

Nintendo out of the big three relies heavily on the games industry, they make consoles and games, that's what they do and if Nintendo continue to lose money then they're going to run into problems further down the line. Nintendo needs its hardware to be successful, if its hardware isn't selling then it's software won't sell either and they'll continue to post losses in the future.

Not even the success of the 3DS can paper over the cracks.

Whether you like it or not, posting three straight fiscal losses in a row doesn't make for good reading, irrespective of how much money is in the businesses bank account. It's an indicator that the company's products are not bringing in the money and that should be cause for swift action.

#30 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

So the Wii U is not as popular. Guess what? It doesn't matter.

Nintendo still has the money they made from the Wii and the 3DS. And you seem to be forgetting that Nintendo still has about the equivalent of $12,000,000,000 in cash assets. They took calculated risks targeting touchscreen-loving casual gamers, and it didn't pan out. But they still have a fundamentally sound system (as opposed to being riddled with fundamental flaws like say a Microsoft Kin) and they are coming out with the games that Nintendo fans are waiting for. Nintendo has made mistakes in their marketing, but they are aware of it and are (hopefully) spending a lot of time putting together a better marketing campaign.

And even then, Nintendo simply has enough cash assets to stay put until their next generation consoles are ready, or Nintendo could even change industries again. Nintendo was originally a governmental company that sold cards for an officially sanctioned game, but after the ban on gambling was lifted Nintendo transitioned over to making video game consoles without any problems.

The point is Nintendo can survive a failed product, and the Wii U cannot be classified as a failed product until Nintendo is forced to stop selling it. Anything else is simply speculation. Don't worry about Nintendo, just worry about whatever it is in your life that's causing you to fixate on the potential failure of companies.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#31 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

So the Wii U is not as popular. Guess what? It doesn't matter.

Nintendo still has the money they made from the Wii and the 3DS. And you seem to be forgetting that Nintendo still has about the equivalent of $12,000,000,000 in cash assets. They took calculated risks targeting touchscreen-loving casual gamers, and it didn't pan out. But they still have a fundamentally sound system (as opposed to being riddled with fundamental flaws like say a Microsoft Kin) and they are coming out with the games that Nintendo fans are waiting for. Nintendo has made mistakes in their marketing, but they are aware of it and are (hopefully) spending a lot of time putting together a better marketing campaign.

And even then, Nintendo simply has enough cash assets to stay put until their next generation consoles are ready, or Nintendo could even change industries again. Nintendo was originally a governmental company that sold cards for an officially sanctioned game, but after the ban on gambling was lifted Nintendo transitioned over to making video game consoles without any problems.

The point is Nintendo can survive a failed product, and the Wii U cannot be classified as a failed product until Nintendo is forced to stop selling it. Anything else is simply speculation. Don't worry about Nintendo, just worry about whatever it is in your life that's causing you to fixate on the potential failure of companies.

It's not about being universally popular, it's about making an overall net profit and Nintendo isn't achieving this at present and it's down to the Wii U. Hardware and software isn't shifting and the fact that Nintendo have had to slash their sales forecast on the 3DS (the most popular console on the market at the moment) doesn't make for brilliant reading does it?

Nintendo hasn't made an overall net profit from the 3DS and Wii U have they? Any profit made by the 3DS has been eaten away by losses incurred through the struggling Wii U.

Also Nintendo reportedly has less than $10bn in cash assets, apparently it's around the $8bn to $9bn mark. Nintendo didn't take any calculated risks, they thought they could release another underpowered console with a gimmicky controller and the casuals would roll right in, but Nintendo didn't do their research on market trends because they have only just realised how big mobile and tablet gaming is. They do not have a fundamentally sound system as it is not selling. The PS4 and Xbox One systems are sound systems, they're both on course to be successful products for their respective companies. The Wii U at the moment is looking like an abject failure.

A lot of these games should already be out, it's taken a year for the first AAA title to come out and heavens knows when the other games will come out. Also a marketing campaign is too little, too late, Nintendo just have to make sure they use the lure of their first party games to full effect and hope that works. It's damage limitation for the Wii U at this point.

Changing industries is not simple, that's a massive risk, if it pays off, it pays off and if it doesn't, then the company in question is brown bread. Nintendo can survive with one failed product, you're right, but how did that one failed product work for Sega? That one failed system led to three more failed systems and eventually irrelevance for Sega.

Also nice jibe there buddy, I'm here to debate and debate is what I'm doing, I wouldn't say I am fixated on anything.

Edited by SailtheSeas, 05 February 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#32 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

It's one thing to be in financial trouble and have debt/no money in the bank- quite another to be losing money but have over $8 billion in assets and no debt.  At that, they have been profitable for certain quarters over the last three years.

They can sustain losses for a decade and still operate- not that this is what they want to do.  But the media makes it sound like they will shut down by year's end if they don't do something drastic soon.  Granted, they do need to do something different.  

As an investor- very concerning.  As a gamer, not so much.

#33 kirbylover

kirbylover

Kirby And Pikachu are Freakin awesome

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Fandom:
    kirby,mario kart,mario,anything nintendo

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

No company can afford a failed product, if the Wii U fails, then it will paint a damning verdict of what the consumer thinks of Nintendo's latest home console and the fact that Iwata has allegedly said that Nintendo will be basing their next home console around the architecture worries me greatly. If the consumer doesn't want what Nintendo is offering with the Wii U, why is Nintendo allegedly planning their next console on the blue print of the Wii U?

You're right that the Xbox brand has never made a profit thus far, it has cost Microsoft a lot of money and there have been some people within Microsoft i.e. Co-founder Paul Allen who have called for the sale of the Xbox Division. Though the Xbox One is reportedly making Microsoft a $27 profit on every unit sold and that's without Xbox Live subscription and games being taken into account.

Where you are mistaken with Microsoft is that the games industry is not their bread and butter, they are a diverse company and don't need to be in the industry in order to survive.

The same applies to Sony, they are another diverse company, though you are right, Sony is not in the best place financially and will take more than a successful console to turn their fortunes around.

Nintendo out of the big three relies heavily on the games industry, they make consoles and games, that's what they do and if Nintendo continue to lose money then they're going to run into problems further down the line. Nintendo needs its hardware to be successful, if its hardware isn't selling then it's software won't sell either and they'll continue to post losses in the future.

Whether you like it or not, posting three straight fiscal losses in a row doesn't make for good reading, irrespective of how much money is in the businesses bank account. It's an indicator that the company's products are not bringing in the money and that should be cause for swift action.

The Video Game crash of 2014?

Signature_Mewtwo.png

Pokedex entry: Mewtwo: The butt pokemon. It is really sexy and any pokemon that sees it wants to have sex with it. It's power comes from it's butt.

#34 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

The Video Game crash of 2014?

It's possible isn't it? Is it going to happen? I doubt it, or at least I hope it doesn't. It does make you wonder though.

It's one thing to be in financial trouble and have debt/no money in the bank- quite another to be losing money but have over $8 billion in assets and no debt.  At that, they have been profitable for certain quarters over the last three years.

They can sustain losses for a decade and still operate- not that this is what they want to do.  But the media makes it sound like they will shut down by year's end if they don't do something drastic soon.  Granted, they do need to do something different.  

As an investor- very concerning.  As a gamer, not so much.

My main worry is that Nintendo will become irrelevant in the home console market and the last thing the home console industry needs is another giant corporation filling the void.

#35 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Companies can and often do afford failed products. It's called taking risks. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. There's not a company alive that hasn't had its fair share of flops and years where they were in the red. It's economics, you're not going to always have growth every quarter and sometimes you just have to weather the bad times. Freaking out and making rash decisions when things are bad is stupid. Nintendo could have made a profit this year. They could have fired a bunch of people sold off a bunch of assets to end up in the black but they'd be worse off. Anyone who knows anything about long term business knows that you have to look at more than just the bottom line. How and why you made a profit or loss is more important than the bottom line alone. Either you understand this or you don't.

Look at what they did in those three years, they launched two brand new systems during a recession when people have less money for frivolous things such as gaming systems. That means a lot of R&D, a lot of start up costs, and a lot of advertising. They also had to do this back to back. If there was ever a time when they should have losses then it was within this time frame. You can call doom on the Wii U but the fact remains that the system is only going to become more profitable from here on out for them. To top it all off their losses were relatively small compared to their assets and their capital. They can weather some bad years. 

You're right, the other companies are more diverse but their gaming divisons have overall been doing worse than Nintendo yet I fail to see any doom talk about them. The fact that people are calling the Wii U 'doomed' is nothing but pure sensationalist crap. It had a mediocre first year. It happens, but it's not the end of the world nor does it mean that the entire lifespan of the console will be like that. Once again, you either understand this or you don't. 

In regards to their future system, you're taking one vague quote and trying to turn it in to something awful. 

pNgecl.gif

#36 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

I hope you're right, but I can't see the Wii U being a successful product and I think it has all but isolated Nintendo from the rest of the industry and gamers as a result.

I reckon Jason Rubin will be proven right unless Nintendo changes course, their hardware will become irrelevant in the home console market and they'll have to exit. People don't want underpowered consoles with mandatory gimmicks or a console with a lack of third party support.

Not even the casual gamer wants what Nintendo is offering with the Wii U.

Edited by SailtheSeas, 05 February 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#37 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Ok, what specifically do you think is flawed about the Wii U that cannot be fixed in the future by a sw upgate, games, or advertising. It's one thing to have a product that isn't selling well, and another to have a product that is universally hated. And if you think Nintendo is doomed, take a look at BlackBerry (formerly RIM). They have been in trouble since 2006 or so and still kicking, and expect to be profitable again in 2016 or so. That is a company that was doomed, and it still held in there until it could launch a better product. Just don't worry about Nintendo.

#38 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

Ok, what specifically do you think is flawed about the Wii U that cannot be fixed in the future by a sw upgate, games, or advertising. It's one thing to have a product that isn't selling well, and another to have a product that is universally hated. And if you think Nintendo is doomed, take a look at BlackBerry (formerly RIM). They have been in trouble since 2006 or so and still kicking, and expect to be profitable again in 2016 or so. That is a company that was doomed, and it still held in there until it could launch a better product. Just don't worry about Nintendo.

I'm going to stop offering my opinions on the Wii U and Nintendo as a whole as all people seem interesting in doing here is posting snide remaks in my direction. I've made my position clear on Nintendo and I don't think I need to post anything further. 

#39 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

that's certainly a possibility.  It happened to blackberry.....  could be happening to microsoft and any number of other companies.  

I'd be more concerned if the games weren't there. they are still making very good games on both systems.  I know it's slightly apples and oranges but there are 40m 3ds owners and Nintendo titles sell well on that system, so fans are still there. They have the IP arsenal and cash to get things right.  They just need to make the right decisions.  I think they will get it done.  They have been in this position before. 

It's possible isn't it? Is it going to happen? I doubt it, or at least I hope it doesn't. It does make you wonder though.

My main worry is that Nintendo will become irrelevant in the home console market and the last thing the home console industry needs is another giant corporation filling the void.

#40 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

I don't hate Nintendo, I'm just disappointed at what Nintendo has become under Iwata. Yes he's their most successful CEO. The DS and the Wii are Nintendo's best selling consoles of all time, but the Wii U is proving to be one of the worst, it's nearly as bad as the Sega Saturn.

Under Iwata all Nintendo seem to cater to is casual gamers i.e. young children and families. Instead of catering to their traditional fan base who bought the NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube consoles they've basically stuck their middle finger up at those people and are proceeding to chase after the casual gamers by dipping into the mobile and tablet markets.

Nintendo is refusing to adapt, it's refusing to change and Iwata's persistence on chasing after the casuals who bought the Wii and moved on and all he's doing is further isolating Nintendo from ordinary gamers and he's making Nintendo an irrelevant player in the home console market.

What is perhaps more worrying is that Iwata has already stated that their next home console will have architecture based on the Wii U. Well he can count me out, I've been ripped off once with the Wii U, Nintendo can count me back in when they stop catering to casual gamers and end this obsession with underpowered, gimmicky hardware.

Three years of yearly losses and the best selling console on the market cannot stop the loss of money, I'd consider that struggling wouldn't you? Yes companies lose money, but to compare Microsoft to Nintendo is ridiculous. Microsoft's net worth is $69-$70bn and Nintendo's worth is an estimated $14bn.

Also Microsoft's Xbox One is selling and give it two or three months will have surpassed the Wii U in lifetime sales. The reason? Microsoft hasn't ignored it's core fan base to jump on a trendy bandwagon like Nintendo has and it has third party support and is committed to releasing its franchises.

Can you imagine Microsoft sitting on Metroid and Star fox IP's and not doing anything with those franchises?

As I've said I was duped by Nintendo's E3 direct, I shouldn't have bought the Wii U and now I'm stuck with a console that is gathering dust and the constant drone of "Please, understand",

You don't hate Nintendo? Sounds like you are blinded by hate, actually.

Let's count the casual games on the Wii U (made by Nintendo). Wii Fit U and Wii Party U. TWO FREAKING GAMES OUT OF ALL THEIR GAMES THEY HAVE FOR WII U. I wouldn't call that PANDERING TO THE CASUAL MARKET. In fact, IF THEY HAD BEEN PANDERING THEY WOULD HAVE SURPASSED four million sales. BUT THEY DIDN'T and are STRUGGLING because they made BAD BUSINESS CHOICES. Basically, they did what YOU wanted them to do, try for the hard core gamer, but didn't even execute that right. Another reason for the system to struggle.

Look man, the Wii U isn't vastly under powered. It's not a casual machine like you try to make it out to be. And Nintendos biggest games of the year are hard core titles. ****, THEIR ONLY GAMES we know about are not casual but ****ING hardcore. And we don't even know what's coming up.

And we don't know if Metroid isn't coming. Will you eat your words if it comes in Dec? Star Fox I doubt is coming, but what if it does? Truly, Star Fox hasn't done well. In Nintendo's eyes, people have lost their love for that game. The last GOOD Stat Fox game was a remake, but it didn't even sell that well.

Point is, Nintendo has a lot of hard core games. Wonderful 101, Pikmam 3, Mario 3D World, DK, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, X, and Super Smash. I didn't even list all their games.

Finally, where did Iwata talk about their next generation system? Being based off of POWER ISO isn't a bad thing. If Nintendo EVER goes to ARM or x86 then I'll stop buying Nintendo consoles. Nintendo should CONTINUE being a CUSTOM console and not a ****ING PC like what MS and Sony did.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!