Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Why was it decided that Lost Swords would be singleplayer only?

The reason that we went singleplayer…well, originally, we were thinking about having a multiplayer option, but because we’re going with a pay-to-win model, we were worried that by having online multiplayer, for all the new users that would be coming in experiencing the game for the first time, they might be immediately deterred by fighting against opponents who had superior equipment and gear—and we didn’t want to have that kind of negative impact on new players.

In the singleplayer experience, having a pay-to-win structure won’t impede the player’s experience with the game.

Pay to win continues domination. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

pay-to-win doesn't sound fun...

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Gamings never been better guys!

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

Wow.

Pay to win?

Better off if no one buys.

Don't know who's worse... The companies that make this crap to bleed wallets dry... Or the stupid drones who pay for the abuse.

"Thank you sir, may I have another!" Lol

Edited by Socalmuscle, 19 May 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#5 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

Well... at least they're honest.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#6 Ninty64X

Ninty64X

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Fandom:
    MST3K, Animation, Metal Gear, OddWorld

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I love Soul Calibur, it's awful it's going down the road of pay to win  :(

On the hunt for her dad's killer, she learns she needs to step up her game. It's time to unleash some superpowers. - Netflix's amazing Kill La Kill description

#7 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

I like the panic here from people that haven't even played the game.

If you're any good at SoulCalibur or fighting games in general, you won't have to pay to win anything. It is completely possible to complete everything the game has to offer without buying a single thing, as I did.

The game is also a free digital release, so I'm reaaaally not seeing the huge "PANIC SOULCALIBUR & GAMING IS DONE 4" here.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#8 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

"pay-to-win structure won’t impede the player’s experience with the game."

Hahaha... okay.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

Last Soul Calibur I liked was II last Soul Cal that was awesome was 1 on Dreamcast and Soul Blade on PS1 was pretty good as well. Series just has lacked since III

#10 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

I like the panic here from people that haven't even played the game.

If you're any good at SoulCalibur or fighting games in general, you won't have to pay to win anything. It is completely possible to complete everything the game has to offer without buying a single thing, as I did.

The game is also a free digital release, so I'm reaaaally not seeing the huge "PANIC SOULCALIBUR & GAMING IS DONE 4" here.

It's a freaking FIGHTING game. It NEEDS online multiplayer.

If a micro transaction model means axing that standard functionality... Then it is a very very bad, horrible, completely stupid and insane idea by default.

#11 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

It's a freaking FIGHTING game. It NEEDS online multiplayer.

If a micro transaction model means axing that standard functionality... Then it is a very very bad, horrible, completely stupid and insane idea by default.

If it were a game I had to pay for to play, I'd say you're unequivocally right.

But seeing as this game is completely free if you wish it to be, I really don't see the issue.

GameZombie44.png

#12 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

If it were a game I had to pay for to play, I'd say you're unequivocally right.

But seeing as this game is completely free if you wish it to be, I really don't see the issue.

Except its not completely free to have a true version of that game. No more than say... The be killer instinct.

Soul calibur is a fighting game that is usually extremely polished and compelling.

Modern day fighting games, the "completely free if you wish it to be" killer instinct, have online competitive play as a de facto standard.

This is a backward step on many levels. Not only is it a cheesed out, fragmented game depending on how much you're wills to fork over, it's also totally worthless without online multiplayer.

In conclusion, it's a piece of junk unless you pay. Then it's still a piece of junk.

Free to play sounds good to companies who think the original gullibility of smartphone gamers will last. Basically the idea is that a $10 game can make $100 based off of micro transactions.

It's the old drug dealer model. First hit is free. Then you pay for the next. Then you keep paying and can't quite seem to recapture that first euphoria. Next thing, you're broke and still haven't found what you're looking for.

And no gamer wants to spend five years playing the same repetitive portions of a game in order to build up enough points to purchase an essential item, etc. this is the tease of free to play. "Oh, you don't want to waste your life just to get thus item or proceed? $50 bucks please."

The lure to the company is the possibility of "free money" or the idea that a game can earn much more than its traditional worth via micro transactions.

The injury to the gamer is being gouged for what should already be included in a game for a set price. Not to mention the the modular concept of the game lends it to being a much lesser quality and a far worse experience.

Imagine going to see a "free" movie. Then... "Oh you want the soundtrack to play? $10. You want to see the movie at full resolution? $10. You want to see the archenemy unblurred? $10. Oh. But by the way... There is no climactic battle in this movie. Because it's not fair for the people who didn't pay to have to endure seeing a blurry archenemy with no soundtrack at low resolution."

That's the equivalent here.

In other words, pure crap.

No way around it.

#13 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

Except its not completely free to have a true version of that game. No more than say... The be killer instinct.

Soul calibur is a fighting game that is usually extremely polished and compelling.

Modern day fighting games, the "completely free if you wish it to be" killer instinct, have online competitive play as a de facto standard.

This is a backward step on many levels. Not only is it a cheesed out, fragmented game depending on how much you're wills to fork over, it's also totally worthless without online multiplayer.

In conclusion, it's a piece of junk unless you pay. Then it's still a piece of junk.

Free to play sounds good to companies who think the original gullibility of smartphone gamers will last. Basically the idea is that a $10 game can make $100 based off of micro transactions.

It's the old drug dealer model. First hit is free. Then you pay for the next. Then you keep paying and can't quite seem to recapture that first euphoria. Next thing, you're broke and still haven't found what you're looking for.

And no gamer wants to spend five years playing the same repetitive portions of a game in order to build up enough points to purchase an essential item, etc. this is the tease of free to play. "Oh, you don't want to waste your life just to get thus item or proceed? $50 bucks please."

The lure to the company is the possibility of "free money" or the idea that a game can earn much more than its traditional worth via micro transactions.

The injury to the gamer is being gouged for what should already be included in a game for a set price. Not to mention the the modular concept of the game lends it to being a much lesser quality and a far worse experience.

Imagine going to see a "free" movie. Then... "Oh you want the soundtrack to play? $10. You want to see the movie at full resolution? $10. You want to see the archenemy unblurred? $10. Oh. But by the way... There is no climactic battle in this movie. Because it's not fair for the people who didn't pay to have to endure seeing a blurry archenemy with no soundtrack at low resolution."

That's the equivalent here.

In other words, pure crap.

No way around it.

I'm going to wager that you and most of the other people here have never actually played the game.

Most of the "pay 2 win" stuff is continue tickets (used to continue a quest if you die in the middle of it) or AP potions (Used to refill your AP meter, which allows you to go on quests.) The other stuff isn't necessary to buy and can be found in-game. You can go through the entire game without paying Bandai Namco anything.

AP Potions are easily earned. In my entire time playing, I always managed to have at least two of them, never ran out. Your AP also auto-refills when you rank-up, which adds more strength to your character.

Continue tickets are not as easily earned but if you're any good at the game, you'll save this for when it actually counts. You can get roughly one or two of these a day for free.

I don't recall it being mandatory to pay for extra characters. You can unlock them through event quests, which cycle out. You might be able to buy them, but I don't recall seeing that as an option.

I think you can pay for a random box that may have super-weapons/armor in it, but you can also unlock those for free using FP, which you get for winning a quest with a partner that has accepted your friend code. You can also unlock nice weapons/armor in the later quests of the game.

I don't count Killer Instinct XBO as F2P. I call it a demo with a $20 unlock fee ($40 if you want all of the alternate costumes/accessories), considering you only get one character for free with the F2P version and all of the others are locked behind a paywall. Such is not the case with SoulCalibur: Lost Swords.

Is it the best SoulCalibur game ever? No. Is it a decent F2P title even with no online multiplayer? Yeah. It's free, I enjoyed my time with it.

GameZombie44.png

#14 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

I'll just leave this here

http://www.metacriti...bur-lost-swords

Basically, the game is almost unplayable with any enjoyment beyond 5 minutes (or the ability to play for any decent length of time until you can play again. The game exists to ANNOY you into spending more money than is equitable for what you receive in return).

Free to play is itself a scam. And this game is the undigested corn husk embedded in the crap of f2p. The fact that it was officially labeled as "play to win" should stand out as a GIGANTIC "Avoid Me" banner. On fire. With fireworks launching from behind it that spell out "Avoid Me" in the sky. With rick roll singing in the background. Yeah. That would be this game in this situation.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 22 May 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#15 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

Basically, the game is almost unplayable with any enjoyment beyond 5 minutes (or the ability to play for any decent length of time until you can play again. The game exists to ANNOY you into spending more money than is equitable for what you receive in return).

Free to play is itself a scam. And this game is the undigested corn husk embedded in the crap of f2p. The fact that it was officially labeled as "play to win" should stand out as a GIGANTIC "Avoid Me" banner. On fire. With fireworks launching from behind it that spell out "Avoid Me" in the sky. With rick roll singing in the background. Yeah. That would be this game in this situation.

Aaaand I'll say it again. I'm going to highly wager you, Ryudo, and basically everyone in this thread that's screeching "TEH EEEEVIL FREE2PLAYYZ" have never actually played the game and instead are content to wave the anti-F2P flag without actually knowing anything about the game.

It doesn't badger you to spend money. There is a "store" option, but it doesn't remind you that it exists every time you enter/exit a quest.

Basically, the majority of those reviews are confusing. I was easily able to play for 1 to 3 hour spurts without any huge difficulty. The worst things I could possibly say about the game are occasionally cheap AI (which is just about any single-player fighting game) and long loading times. The game is very much playable and enjoyable, so it confuses me how the game could get so many 3/10s...considering that would imply that the game is fundamentally broken (false) has a crapton of glitches (also false) and is a outright awful game (completely false). It's not the best fighting game evar, but it's way better than a 3/10. It's at least a 7.5/10 to 8/10 on my personal enjoyment.

lolohwait people that see it's a F2P Soulcalibur and screech "TEH EEEEVIL FREE2PLAAYYYZZZ" then make it their sole destiny to hate the game. Kinda like this thread, actually.

This game can easily be pay 2 win if you wanted to play all day every day. But I found it plenty of fun in 1-3 hour spurts.

But I'm sure you'll ignore this like all of my other posts and continue waving your "F2P IS EEEVILLLL" banner. 

GameZombie44.png

#16 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

To be fair, the reviews don't explicitly focus on the fact that it's F2P as much as it feels like a slapjob, admittedly with some of the butchering geared towards making it more microtransaction friendly.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#17 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

Aaaand I'll say it again. I'm going to highly wager you, Ryudo, and basically everyone in this thread that's screeching "TEH EEEEVIL FREE2PLAYYZ" have never actually played the game and instead are content to wave the anti-F2P flag without actually knowing anything about the game.

It doesn't badger you to spend money. There is a "store" option, but it doesn't remind you that it exists every time you enter/exit a quest.

Basically, the majority of those reviews are confusing. I was easily able to play for 1 to 3 hour spurts without any huge difficulty. The worst things I could possibly say about the game are occasionally cheap AI (which is just about any single-player fighting game) and long loading times. The game is very much playable and enjoyable, so it confuses me how the game could get so many 3/10s...considering that would imply that the game is fundamentally broken (false) has a crapton of glitches (also false) and is a outright awful game (completely false). It's not the best fighting game evar, but it's way better than a 3/10. It's at least a 7.5/10 to 8/10 on my personal enjoyment.

lolohwait people that see it's a F2P Soulcalibur and screech "TEH EEEEVIL FREE2PLAAYYYZZZ" then make it their sole destiny to hate the game. Kinda like this thread, actually.

This game can easily be pay 2 win if you wanted to play all day every day. But I found it plenty of fun in 1-3 hour spurts.

But I'm sure you'll ignore this like all of my other posts and continue waving your "F2P IS EEEVILLLL" banner. 

I've played "free" to plays. I will never again. I honestly wish I could get the hours back.

Also there is actually such a thing as fully free to play games like flappy bird or whatever. Of course you wouldn't see that come from any serious dev company, but come on.

Also many mmorpgs do free to play right, like Maplestory, Mabinogi, perfect world, etc., where they get you to buy stuff by wanting to buy stuff, not because it gives you an unfair advantage or because the game is hard to enjoy without it.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#18 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Don't bring me into this. I have not even commented on the F2P just gave up on the series to the entries like III,IV andV. SO I feel no need to get back into the series. It was a general statement did not even mention F2P. Don't put words in my mouth

Edited by Ryudo, 23 May 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#19 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

Lol. Apparently the ENTIRE WORLD disagrees with you.

Out of all the critic reviews and gamer reviews, of people who wasted time on it, it's unanimous. It sucks. It's a cash grab. Free isn't free in free to play. It works as a demo. But a sucky demo with no promise of it ever getting better.

Basically this was a bad idea with bad execution.

As much as you want to convince people otherwise, the game sucks. And the entire free to play concept sucks as well. It's a detriment to the industry as it engenders crap games and the general disinterest in games as a result.

It's 2014 and a new fighting game comes out without online multi. When you have to turn to your business plan to explain that away, the business plan was horribly flawed to begin with.

There is no upside here. There is no "good reason" for this. They took a real game franchise and turned it into iOS/android junk.

The bottom line is this:

Did it make for a better game? Or even... A good one? No.

Boom. Done.

'Nuff said.

To be fair, the reviews don't explicitly focus on the fact that it's F2P as much as it feels like a slapjob, admittedly with some of the butchering geared towards making it more microtransaction friendly.

Except the f2p micro transaction model is what CAUSED the game to be so mutilated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!