134 replies to this topic

#21 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

Dharmanator, on 10 Jun 2014 - 1:56 PM, said:
It has been ages. .. But weren't they spinning bad guys early on in the original that shot something at you? I think it was an updated version of that. A hell of a lot more intense!

Damn. I can't wait.

No. The spinning ones in the air didnt shoot, nor did the spinning ones in the ground.

The enemy isnt a monster, its a hylian magical machination like an armos statue, or the guardian of the tower of the Gods, running rampant. It does fire EXACTLY the same type of projectiles, with the same impressive speed as Ghodan from wind waker, and looks very similar in design astetic, which is Hylian.

Its weakness is a crystal gem on the back of its turret, which link targets with the upgraded arrows (Bomb/fire arrows) at the end of the trailer.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#22 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

I think Link actually is a girl in this one. Or that might actually be Zelda. That cloak is highly reminescent of the one worn by zelda to hide her face in games like tp.

I dunno. Too early to say you are wrong. Looks male to me, But i am watching on a S3. Maybe I need a S5 or Note 3

No. The spinning ones in the air didnt shoot, nor did the spinning ones in the ground.

The enemy isnt a monster, its a hylian magical machination like an armos statue, or the guardian of the tower of the Gods, running rampant. It does fire EXACTLY the same type of projectiles, with the same impressive speed as Ghodan from wind waker, and looks very similar in design astetic, which is Hylian.

Its weakness is a crystal gem on the back of its turret, which link targets with the upgraded arrows (Bomb/fire arrows) at the end of the trailer.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Dharmanator, 10 June 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#23 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

The enemy actually makes a lot more sense now.

No sig.

#24 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

horsing fantastic! Also they finally redesigned older Link!

Also darker hair like he used to have! The game looks mind blowing! Even little things like on the field the butterflies had a random pattern! Nintendo is great on small details!

#25 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Another thing I like about this style is the fact when people go for a more realistic look it always falls flat.

I like the feel when you are basically controlling a cartoon.

Feels less like a game and more like an experience.

Hard to explain but maybe someone knows what I mean.

#26 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

I highly doubt it's a girl, however there is the question of where the sword is?

#27 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

the shirt he/she wears looks like the one from windwaker, so maybe this is when the first find new hyrule? or that truely is zelda because you know... feminine like face and cloak

wa3Nq7j.png

#28 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

I like the destruction stuff and fire effect in the game, also the reaction by the horse and sheep was great.

#29 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

I dunno. Too early to say you are wrong. Looks male to me, But i am watching on a S3. Maybe I need a S5 or Note 3

Thanks for the clarification.

Links always been very androgynous in the face.... however in his body, while thin, it typically has a pretty masculine build.

LinkisShirtless.jpg

However, its not just the face this time, the neck is thinner, the hair is in a pony tail, Thin chest and back musculature, the shoulders, the waist is much thinner, possibly thinner than the hips, in possession of a sheikah-like hooded cloak, and arm wrappings.... And no sound effects. No AH! No HYAAA! Not a peep.

I usually roll my eyes at the 'Link looks like a girl' comments, because link has always had a mascuiline body structure/rigging. But this time....

I actually wouldnt be surprised if this hero was actually revealed later to be female.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#30 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

Links always been very androgynous in the face.... and while thin, typically has a pretty masculine build.

LinkisShirtless.jpg

However, its not just the face this time, the neck is thinner, the hair is in a pony tail, Thin chest and back musculature, the shoulders, the waist is much thinner, possibly thinner than the hips, in possession of a sheikah-like hooded cloak, and arm wrappings.... And no sound effects. No AH! No HYAAA! Not a peep.

I usually roll my eyes at the 'Link looks like a girl' comments, because link has always had a mascuiline body structure/rigging. But this time....

I actually wouldnt be surprised if this hero actually revealed later to be female.

But would Nintendo really risk making Link a girl? Unless they have decided to go down the RPG route and let you choose your gender?

I do see where you are coming from but I think it may just be the art-style that makes him look quite feminine. It looks very anime-esque and I feel that anime has a tendency to make male characters look quite feminine.

It will be very interesting (and strange) if it is a girl though.

Also what about the romance they developed so well in Skyward Sword? Is that all going to be abandoned if this is a girl?

Edited by Hunter, 10 June 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#31 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

elfs are an androgynous species in the lore by defult.  They move fast, they unite their existence and creation with the moon, etc.. In fact elfs are the ancient chinese. Elfs is the imaginary and partially true - lore of their existence and creation... All games who promote elf lores, are typically chinese culture promotions (never forget that they have the 4 celestial gods, tiger, monkey, turtle and dragon that reflect to 4 ancient species, races on earth, you can see all countries arround the globe with the half moon in their flags, its different races that reflect that). We have them in our books as well, but not as elfs... They came from the moon (LEVAN) thats how the myth of Adam and EVA came out (ADAM is the 4 corners of planer earth and EVA is L EVA N, the moon) and firstly they resided along with the posidonians for some time, before Atlantis destroyed (you know posidonians as Atlantians). The story goes on, but I wont tell more, not here! lol Thats for the elfs..

as for the game, it really looks amazing and maybe the most anticipated and amazing game showed at E3 2014. Xbox show, was all about war games and they showed a cute one, just to break the monotony of war and kill...  EA show was amazingly borring, Ubisoft show was like last year and I havent seen Sony conference yet, I may watch it in a replay in a point.

Edited by Plutonas, 10 June 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#32 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Not what I hoped.

But maybe better. Reminds me a little bit of that old dragons lair movie with the quality of animation and visuals as well as some of the best effects I've seen. Esp for this style. Wow

Would be cool (however impossible) if Nintendo went back to the first Zelda here and made a "dark world" after you beat the game to play through again.

Only... "The dark world" would be running a different graphics engine...
That's my fanboy dream.

Heck, even if the dark world with different graphics was a separate game or of. I'd be into it.

Two things:

1) yes I know it's impossible and too expensive to do.

2) I don't care. LOL

That's how excited I am.

The animation is simply stunning.

Really digging the art direction.

In graphic design the last couple of years, there has been a trend from photo realism to more vector style art. The Delaunay raster method is one such example. It has exploded in popularity.

This actually looks like a highly refined version of that style combined with anime.... And a little Michael Bay. Lol. And it all comes together to create something somewhat familiar and yet totally unique. It can't quite be described as pastel. It isn't quite watercolor. It isn't very polygonal. It's not strict anime style. It's its own thing. And I'm blown away. It's beautiful. And the smoothness of the animation combined with the speed and effects gives it a very expensive look. Such a short look. But dang. It looks intense.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 10 June 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#33 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

rsfqks.gif

XenoZelda

You can go as far as the eye can see

TCPirEa.jpg

iLlGQdv.jpg

8SQHmpK.jpg

Edited by Ryudo, 10 June 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#34 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

But would Nintendo really risk making Link a girl? Unless they have decided to go down the RPG route and let you choose your gender?

I do see where you are coming from but I think it may just be the art-style that makes him look quite feminine. It looks very anime-esque and I feel that anime has a tendency to make male characters look quite feminine.

It will be very interesting (and strange) if it is a girl though.

What risk?

Its not art style that makes me think this one is female. Its Anatomy. Humans are sexually dimorphic. They are very different in skeletal and muscle structure, its not just boobs and dangly bits, or pretty faces. Ive never looked at a link before and had any question of the gender despite the pretty face because of this (windwaker excluded, as at that age physical gender is irrelevant to body structure). Link has a masculine body structure.

From my experience in college art classes, particularly the classical arts anatomy and physiology of the human form. (Drawing naked people YAY! Of all body types.... and ALL ranges of (adult) ages. ALL. AAAALLLLLLLLLL AAAAAGGGGEEEESSSSS.)

iBobnp6L803Gi.jpg

This stands out strongly as a female back. from the shoulders, the scapula, down to the waste, very feminine in muscle structure. And yes, believe you me when they designed this character, and ANY character they do indeed have skeletons, and muscle structure as part of their design. As well as nude (but probably genitaless) design sheets in concept art to show off that muscle structure for people to understand how the character is formed. Yes, even in fictional characters that do not have realistic art styles. Egads if those ever got out...

iYYL5But14Pql.png
And this is a feminine neck and shoulder structure.

Im not just looking at the face, and judging from the enlarged eyes and slimmed jaw... If this is still a male, It will be the first time they went past making just the face androgynous. WHich they could also do. Maybe this time the hero is hermaphrodyte!

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo tried later to reveal this as a surprise.

Any other Link design, would have taken me by surprise if they tried to pass it off later as female. This ones body structure stands out very strongly as female to me.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#35 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

rsfqks.gif
XenoZelda

You can go as far as the eye can see

TCPirEa.jpg
iLlGQdv.jpg
8SQHmpK.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Link definitely looks more like a girl here. Check out the shadowing on the torso and then hips. This makes me sound terrible, but I think it's kinda noticeable.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#36 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

What risk?

Its not art style that makes me think this one is female. Its Anatomy. Humans are sexually dimorphic. They are very different in skeletal and muscle structure, its not just boobs and dangly bits, or pretty faces. Ive never looked at a link before and had any question of the gender despite the pretty face because of this (windwaker excluded, as at that age physical gender is irrelevant to body structure). Link has a masculine body structure.

From my experience in college art classes, particularly the classical arts anatomy and physiology of the human form. (Drawing naked people YAY! Of all body types.... and ALL ranges of (adult) ages. ALL. AAAALLLLLLLLLL AAAAAGGGGEEEESSSSS.)

iBobnp6L803Gi.jpg

This stands out strongly as a female back. from the shoulders, the scapula, down to the waste, very feminine in muscle structure. And yes, believe you me when they designed this character, and ANY character they do indeed have skeletons, and muscle structure as part of their design. As well as nude (but probably genitaless) design sheets in concept art to show off that muscle structure for people to understand how the character is formed. Yes, even in fictional characters that do not have realistic art styles. Egads if those ever got out...

iYYL5But14Pql.png
And this is a feminine neck and shoulder structure.

Im not just looking at the face, and judging from the enlarged eyes and slimmed jaw... If this is still a male, It will be the first time they went past making just the face androgynous. WHich they could also do. Maybe this time the hero is hermaphrodyte!

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo tried later to reveal this as a surprise.

Any other Link design, would have taken me by surprise if they tried to pass it off later as female. This ones body structure stands out very strongly as female to me.

By risk I meant that there is a chance they may alienate some of their fanbase.

You do make a very convincing argument though, the body shape does seem to suggest female.

#37 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

By risk I meant that there is a chance they may alienate some of their fanbase.

You do make a very convincing argument though, the body shape does seem to suggest female.

Well, they could probably get those ones back by making her a lesbian.

But honestly, as long as the game is awesome, I really dont think anyone who is a fan of Zelda and not just an... whatever... will have a problem if a Zelda comes out with a female Hero.

Honestly, I think the calibur of the game will be what colors their perceptions of the gender of the protagonist. Whether they conciously realize it or not.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#38 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

I loved it. people compare it to Skyward Sword and Wind Waker, but anyone notice that teh water looks more like Twilight Princess?

#39 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

I also just noticed that it is probably not Epona in the trailer either, Epona usually has a white mane. 

No sword
Possibly female

Not riding Epona

I have so many questions which will probably not be answered until 2015.

#40 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

It looked absolutely great! Yet, this was just an ingame or cg render. Am looking forward to see gameplay

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!