Photo

What do you think of the FPS genre?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think about the FPS genre (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think about FPS games?

1. I am addicted to them (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

2. I like them (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. I am okay with them (11 votes [42.31%])

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

4. I don't like them (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

5. Hate them (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

6. Dey evil man!!! (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

I just have to wonder who voted for "I am addicted to them" because looking at the results not too many people like them too much.

Take a look around. This is a Nintendo site. Everyone Mostly everyone is a Nintendo fanboy here. I haven't met one person on this site that likes Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo (like me). But, also, mostly everyone on this site is too biased on Microsoft and Sony.
Usual quote from a Nintendo fanboy about Sony - "Sony sucks, they think just because they have dual analog sticks and better graphics on the Vita, it makes them better? Wrong! And their prices are too high!"
Usual quote from a Nintendo fanboy about Microsoft - "The Xbox 360 is stupid, you have to pay for online services!" Get over it, it's the best you'll be getting for now.

Not only are Nintendo fanboys biased on the gaming companies, but the genres, too.
A typical Nintendo fanboy: Hates shooters, and usually only likes Fighting, Racing, RPG, Open-World, sports, and others that I can't think of right now.

People, this isn't a game of: "Love only one thing, and hate everything-else." (Which seems to be working for 98% of everyone).
We play games to have fun, not to hate.

#22 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

People, this isn't a game of: "Love only one thing, and hate everything-else." (Which seems to be working for 98% of everyone).

As long as it works. B) trolololololol.

After being on the internet for a while, I'm not so sure that's true of everyone.

Also, a certain someone could have made it so we could see who voted for what. That way we would know who to unfairly judge. :laugh:

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#23 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

YOU ARE RIGHT!!! THIS MEANS THERE IS A TRAITOR IN THE FORUMS!!! Now all we have to do is weed him out... JK :P I totally respect your decision.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#24 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Usual quote from a Nintendo fanboy about Microsoft - "The Xbox 360 is stupid, you have to pay for online services!" Get over it, it's the best you'll be getting for now.

I agree on everything except XBL being the best. That price belongs to Steam, which is better and free.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#25 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

eh, I enjoy the good ones. By that I mean Halflife, Bioshock, Portal, and a few others. I just find most FPS's lacking in the aspect that I care about: Innovation and story.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#26 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

FPA are good. That is short for First Person Adventurer. Examples are the Metriod Prime series. I mean if you put so puzzle or platformer aspect to it it will be good. The FPS series is being milked. Better engines that don't do much compared to the last ones and new levels shouldn't make people buy the newest FPS when it comes out.

#27 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

Take a look around. This is a Nintendo site. Everyone Mostly everyone is a Nintendo fanboy here. I haven't met one person on this site that likes Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo (like me). But, also, mostly everyone on this site is too biased on Microsoft and Sony.
Usual quote from a Nintendo fanboy about Sony - "Sony sucks, they think just because they have dual analog sticks and better graphics on the Vita, it makes them better? Wrong! And their prices are too high!"

Not only are Nintendo fanboys biased on the gaming companies, but the genres, too.
A typical Nintendo fanboy: Hates shooters, and usually only likes Fighting, Racing, RPG, Open-World, sports, and others that I can't think of right now.

Not all Nintendo Fans are like that... okay; I had an Xbox for a few years so that gave me a taste of Rayman and have also played all the Jak and Daxter games on a friends' PS2.

The only reason I buy Nintendo consoles atm is because it has more games that I want, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a PS3 or Xbox360 if I had the money. In fact, I'd love to if I could, but to no alas... I'm not rich.

Look at me, I've seen stuff outside of Nintendo, I love games like Portal 2, Minecraft, Cave Story and Bastion. (Yes, there's also Rayman, Final Fantasy and other stuff)

For me, I don't hate the FPS genre as it has created gems like Portal 2 and Half-life, I just find it annoying how games like CoD and MW overshadow other great games. They're also a reason why many great RPG's never leave Japan (I'm an RPG fan)

To those who like/love them, kewl. If you like playing them and have fun doing it then that's fine with me. For me, playing games is about having fun playing, may it be a game with or without great story... a game is a game. Hence why I take my time playing through games and aren't like those people that finish most of their games the same day they get them (unless they're really short, that never happens to me)

I hope that FPS can co-exist all the other genres, but just don't want the not-gaming public to think that FPS's are the only games out there.

Just my long two cents...

#28 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

I love FPSes, but not realistic ones. My kind of FPSes are either heavily story based, single player games like Half Life, or multiplayer FPSes taking place in a non-real world setting like Halo. Nintendo's been long overdue to get their own big FPS franchise. Microsoft has Halo, Sony has Killzone. If Nintendo gets one of their first/second party devs to develop a Wii U exclusive FPS series then it'd be great for their image.

Posted Image

#29 GeneralCraezy

GeneralCraezy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, RPGs, Nintendo, SE.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

Take a look around. This is a Nintendo site. Everyone Mostly everyone is a Nintendo fanboy here. I haven't met one person on this site that likes Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo (like me).

*ahem* I like them all, just sway more to ninty cuz all my friends say that it sucks. I would normally have a massive rambling here, but I'm gonna spare you guys ;)

Posted Image

#30 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Deadly Virus do you Know a thing called:

Metroid!!!

#31 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Metroid!!!

To be fair Metroid Prime are considered First Person Adventure not a First Person shooter.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#32 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

Metroid!!!

NO
Prime was First Person Adventure, not FPS. Plus, Metroid is not just an FPS.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#33 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

FPA is a subcategory, not a different Genre altogether. However if Deadly Virus wants just a normal FPS he is open to speculate that that is going to be the Genre of Nintendo's new IP.

Edited by Nintendoes, 21 December 2011 - 05:49 PM.

#34 Garolymar

Garolymar

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • NNID:Garolymar
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin/ Anything else Nintendo.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

They're all right. They're not my cup of tea but I can see why they're popular and successful. FPS is the action movie genre of video games, they don't have to actually be that great to make a lot of money but that isn't to say the genre doesn't have any masterpieces in it. You got pioneers like Doom and all those old PC games that were ground breaking for their time. Then you have those like Halo, Metroid and Call of Duty who took the genre in different directions. There is still a lot of experimentation they can do with the FPS genre and I'm glad it's popular as it helps the game industry stay lucrative. I don't buy many but I have an odd few FPS's hanging around that get around 50 hours of play each. So I don't hate them they're just not high ranking in my awesome category.
Posted Image

#35 The777brown

The777brown

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Fandom:
    STUFF-mostly nintendo

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

First person shooters are things that are best enjoyed with friends online in my opinion. one thing i don't like about first person shooters is that i can play Halo for almost a whole day and feel like i accomplished nothing. And the stories are only so long. they just aren't as appealing to me as other games such as RPGs, racing, platforming etc are. If my friend brings over CoD:MW3 or Black Ops, am i going to play it over mariokart? Yeah most likely because its fun to play it with them. I would have a larger amount of playtime with other things, while still feeling accomplished.

#36 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:44 AM

Well I think that some FPS are some fun it is just that most of them have no meaning and their quality has just plummeted. I dont expect anything good from them now and I cant quite see them as "Heart touching". Now they are just for the thrill of shooting people.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#37 SuperSaiyanGohan

SuperSaiyanGohan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pkmn, CoD, and SSB

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

I was addicted to them. Key word "was". But they seem to have gone down hill very fast. With the same content and the same weapons and the same graphics, they have become somewhat boring. 2year ago you had to surgicaly remove me from the controller... now its hard to play for 30 min at a time.
Also i think the people who play online care more about their precious kill to death ratio than they do teamwork or non noobing(for a lack of better words). They take the fun and competitiveness out of it.
Pokemon black and white two is going to be awesome! Cannot wait at all to buy them!
Bronies Unite! Yay the world!
Gravity it is not just a good idea it is the law!
Is the proof really in the pudding? Really?
Aliens are real! Just ask the leprechauns!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!