Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • NNID:Atticus242
  • Fandom:
    Wii U, 3DS, Xbox 360, WWE

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Seeing all the news coming in for Hyrule Warriors there seems to be a lot of Twilight Princess references and depending where you look some ppl consider it their favorite Zelda game.

My Zelda gaming history:

- A Link to the Past (SNES)

- OoT (N64)

- Majora's Mask (N64 (regretfully unfinished))

- Wind Waker (Gamecube (Might be my favorite))

- A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

(I played Zelda II but was too young to know what I was doing and didn't make it very far and also a bit of the original Zelda offered in NES Remix. lol)

Thoughts on the game (w/o spoiler)? I plan to play the Wii version on my Wii U.

Thx.

Edited by Atticus, 27 June 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

I have the Gamecube version. Fantastic game but the over world is empty and like any Zelda fans can be very divided. The game has a slightly different feel. It came out in 2006 has a wolf and so did Okami. I think Okami is better and one of the best Zelda clones and in some ways bested Zelda.

I say snag TP and Okami on Wii(controls are a little finicky on Wii) Oh and for the Wii version DO NOT SAVE IN THE CANNON ROOM. Glitch get you stuck and it's pretty far in the game would make you play all over again. So a FYI

#3 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

I have the Gamecube version. Fantastic game but the over world is empty and like any Zelda fans can be very divided. The game has a slightly different feel. It came out in 2006 has a wolf and so did Okami. I think Okami is better and one of the best Zelda clones and in some ways bested Zelda.

I say snag TP and Okami on Wii(controls are a little finicky on Wii) Oh and for the Wii version DO NOT SAVE IN THE CANNON ROOM. Glitch get you stuck and it's pretty far in the game would make you play all over again. So a FYI

Thanks for the tip.

Any notable differences between GC and Wii version? Any advantages for the Wii version?

Edited by Atticus, 27 June 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the tip.

Any notable differences between GC and Wii version? Any advantages for the Wii version?

Wii version is motion controls but not motion plus. Also the game is flipped to make Link right handed for the controls. So it plays backwards from the Gamecube version. The motion can be taken as a plus or minus depending on who you ask. I have not played the Wii version.

#5 the gamz girnalizt

the gamz girnalizt

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    criticising nintendo

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Wii version is motion controls but not motion plus. Also the game is flipped to make Link right handed for the controls. So it plays backwards from the Gamecube version. The motion can be taken as a plus or minus depending on who you ask. I have not played the Wii version.

also it's 16:9

gamz girnalizm all da way

#6 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

I played a little of the Wii version, I guess their was times when levels were a little weird because of the flip, but it wasen't hindering. I didn't like what I played so much, graphics were eh, too muddy, didn't enjoy the gameplay too much. But it has its fans, its like OoT v2 western release. 

Stupid Snowmads!

#7 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Probably my least favourite Zelda after Zelda 2. The art style sets the tone for the game really- a bit dull.

#8 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

It's probably the most mature 3D Zelda in terms of story/plot and easily a great game. After the 1st hour or so the game will become your typical Zelda adventure with dungeons and mini games and such. Overall I liked the levels and the look of the game is hit or miss, but for me it was a hit.

Edited by LinkKennedy, 27 June 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

LinkKennedy, on 27 Jun 2014 - 6:11 PM, said:
It's probably the most mature 3D Zelda in terms of story/plot and easily a great game. After the 1st hour or so the game will become your typical Zelda adventure with dungeons and mini games and such. Overall I liked the levels and the look of the game is hit or miss, but for me it was a hit.

What?

Its by far the least mature story/plot in zelda.

Windwaker and skyward sword blow tp out of the water in this regaurd, as does majoras mask, which has a similar visual tone.

@OP.

Its one of my least favourite 3d zeldas. To the point I actually havent been able to complete a second playthrough despite starting several. The tedium just grinds the run to a halt.

The game has a large world, but it is completely empty and devoid of meaning, their are very few optional items, and to make up for it they made more heart peices to find, you now need 5 peices. All optional side quests are mind numbingly tedious, and revolve around trinket collectathons or throwing away rupees.

Controls are worthless waggle crap, with the exception of pointing controls and fishing. Combat Is not actual motion control like skyward sword.

Game has serious forced pacing issues. Not deal breakers first run, but extremely tiresome on replays as they can not be accelerated by skill or knowledge.

Very overworld/exploration weak zelda.

Game does have move skills to collect, which is nice.
Midna joins the thin ranks of enjoyable sidekicks next to king of red lions and ghost zelda.

Most dungeons are unnecessarilly long and tedious, and full of puzzles already done to death.

But donr think Im saying its garbage. Even if I personally think its a poor entry in the series, said series is still better than 90% of other games. Its worth owning and playing.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

OP like I said like any Zelda game fans will be divided so snag it decide for yourself.

#11 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

I did, earlier tonight. WIth it's apparent flaws I figure can't go wrong for $20 brand new anyway.

I notice the control/feel isn't spectacular so far. Played a little before going to bed now.

#12 Wayne6286

Wayne6286

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

I loved TP. I played and beat it on wii. I still want to snag the GC version and try it on that.

#13 Lafosse64

Lafosse64

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • NNID:Lafosse64
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

to be fair Twilight Princess was the first Zelda game i beated as a ''grown up'' and I really enjoyed it. I played it first on the Gamecube. My favorite Zelda is Ocarina of Time and I think Skyward Sword is much better game than Twilight Princess. As for Hyrule Warriors, I have mixed feelings about it. I hope is a good game.

''GAMER SINCE 1990''

#14 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

to be fair Twilight Princess was the first Zelda game i beated as a ''grown up'' and I really enjoyed it. I played it first on the Gamecube. My favorite Zelda is Ocarina of Time and I think Skyward Sword is much better game than Twilight Princess. As for Hyrule Warriors, I have mixed feelings about it. I hope is a good game.

Play any Warriors game and will set up what to expect from Hyrule Warriors. Warriors Orochi 3 on WiiU is cheap and a good start. I will flat out say they are not for everyone. They are super dumb made with a somewhat small budget. They can be really fun for some or boring for others. You mow down hundreds of enemies and mash buttons to defeat stage bosses. Not a whole lot more to it. Sometimes you will have to complete some objective to progress in the stage but it's pretty straightforward.  More or less Japans Call of Duty type thing, Mainly the same game,pumped out often and super repetitive.

I only buy them every few entries and when the price has come down. You will either have a lot of dumb fun or get bored.  Since it has 2 player mode I would try that as well.

#15 Lafosse64

Lafosse64

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • NNID:Lafosse64
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Play any Warriors game and will set up what to expect from Hyrule Warriors. Warriors Orochi 3 on WiiU is cheap and a good start. I will flat out say they are not for everyone. They are super dumb made with a somewhat small budget. They can be really fun for some or boring for others. You mow down hundreds of enemies and mash buttons to defeat stage bosses. Not a whole lot more to it. Sometimes you will have to complete some objective to progress in the stage but it's pretty straightforward.  More or less Japans Call of Duty type thing, Mainly the same game,pumped out often and super repetitive.

I only buy them every few entries and when the price has come down. You will either have a lot of dumb fun or get bored.  Since it has 2 player mode I would try that as well.

Woah, two player mode? Warriors of Orochi 3 AND Hyrule Warriors both have two player mode? so its like team up with your friend to bash lots of enemies like a maniac and make pontless mayhem? well... added that, I might just go ahead and say that im a bit excited now lol. Me and my best friend are fand of any co-op beat'em up since we played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 on the NES. 

I will follow your advice and get Warriors of Orochi 3 to get prepared and then get Hyrule Warriors. hehe 

''GAMER SINCE 1990''

#16 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

My thoughts after putting in about 19 hours...

So couldn't play it for a couple days, picked it up again and after getting used to the controls and getting deep into the game now I'm really liking it. I realized somewhere between throwing a Goron off the side of a mountain, walking up on a magnetized wall to solve a puzzle, wearing Zora scuba gear (it's like a freaking Frog Suit!) and having bombs that explode underwater this is a pretty great game even by Zelda standards.

Does it feel like it's missing a couple things? Maybe and sure the open world area does feel fairly flat but... meh.

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

My thoughts after putting in about 19 hours...

So couldn't play it for a couple days, picked it up again and after getting used to the controls and getting deep into the game now I'm really liking it. I realized somewhere between throwing a Goron off the side of a mountain, walking up on a magnetized wall to solve a puzzle, wearing Zora scuba gear (it's like a freaking Frog Suit!) and having bombs that explode underwater this is a pretty great game even by Zelda standards.

Does it feel like it's missing a couple things? Maybe and sure the open world area does feel fairly flat but... meh.

Definately has a lot of cool moments. I remember my first playthrough being pretty enjoyable. Like I said, I didnt really find the problems i had with the game until i started a second playthrough. Thats not something everyone does, but its a big thing for me.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

So 50+ hours and I just finished. What can I say, the whole thing was epic. I thought the boss fights and combat were amazing and the story was great. Maybe most mature isn't the right phrasing but definitely some awesomely freaky things happened. As I got deeper into the game it didn't feel quite as flat. I really have no complaints about the game. Awesome dungeon designs as you expect and the handful of new weapons were great. The motion controls are a little off-putting when your in a very relaxed almost lying back position but otherwise it was pretty smooth. I feel the game took after OoT more than other games before TP.

Anyway, sure, not perfect but I loved it.

Also game ending Midna is a babe. lol.

Edited by Atticus, 22 July 2014 - 04:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!