• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

That sucks for you since you had to go through the effort of the interview for nothing when they already had the type of person they wanted for the job picked out and most likely only gave you an interview to prove they gave different types of people a chance. Or perhaps it was all in your perception, not sure if you saw the Seinfeld episode where Elaine tried to get a job at the diner and thought they were discriminating against her because they were all large busted and pretty or whatever but it turned out they were the manager's daughters. Not saying that it's all that likely to be the same case since the manager at Barnes and Noble just wanting cute girls to work there isn't too far fetched in itself. In this case I would probably agree with you that they wanted cute girls to work there but sometimes people will perceive discrimination where it isn't.

Nah it was pretty blatant. Not even mad anymore was 6 years ago. TBH I find it funny. I'm pretty much retired now so don't worry about stuff like that anymore.

Edited by Ryudo, 09 August 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#42 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Where were these people being hired at?

Rights are acceptance on a larger scale. If gay people had equal rights then they would become more accepted in the long run. We're moving towards giving them equal rights anyway so their acceptance in Western society is increasing.

Personal experience in this issue isn't really relevant. Your experience is very limited in the grand scope of things, clearly the discrimination of gay people is a greater issue than someone not getting a job because of their appearance. If you're qualified enough you should get the job and if they choose their workers by another criteria then that is their decision, that is discrimination on a small scale and not discrimination against an entire group of people. Most decent people would hire the person that is right for the job not based on their appearance alone.

Homosexuality and being overweight aren't exactly comparable. One you're born with and the other, unless a genetic condition, you are not. More often than not weight issues are the result of one's lifestyle. You think people with unhealthy lifestyles should be more accepted than people with a sexual orientation that they had no choice over?

I guess you're right though, fat people should be able to get married too.

Okay, I get it you're avoiding discussion. Very productive on a forum to avoid discussion, nice work.

I live in Australia. What isn't true about what I said?

That sucks for you since you had to go through the effort of the interview for nothing when they already had the type of person they wanted for the job picked out and most likely only gave you an interview to prove they gave different types of people a chance. Or perhaps it was all in your perception, not sure if you saw the Seinfeld episode where Elaine tried to get a job at the diner and thought they were discriminating against her because they were all large busted and pretty or whatever but it turned out they were the manager's daughters. Not saying that it's all that likely to be the same case since the manager at Barnes and Noble just wanting cute girls to work there isn't too far fetched in itself. In this case I would probably agree with you that they wanted cute girls to work there but sometimes people will perceive discrimination where it isn't.

I said I've never hear of a county where that's true. I think that says enough.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#43 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

I said I've never hear of a county where that's true. I think that says enough.

Where the people with the characteristics mentioned are accepted?

Edited by CUD, 09 August 2014 - 04:36 PM.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#44 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

Where the people with the characteristics mentioned are accepted?

Not just accepted, where they don't have their rights infringed upon.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#45 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

Not just accepted, where they don't have their rights infringed upon.

Can I have an example where tall people have their rights infringed upon?

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#46 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Can I have an example where tall people have their rights infringed upon?

The height examples are the only ones I disagree with. Everything else? You bet.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#47 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

The height examples are the only ones I disagree with. Everything else? You bet.

Overweight people, people who 'aren't that beautiful', people with disabilities, people with different races and religions. Please explain to me how their rights are infringed upon.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#48 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

Overweight people, people who 'aren't that beautiful', people with disabilities, people with different races and religions. Please explain to me how their rights are infringed upon.

Nope. If you so much as watch the news you'll see various examples of discrimination against each.

I however refuse to post specific examples so I can watch as yiu and possibly others try to blindly justify such disgusting acts. That is why, as I've said may times before, I refuse to talk about the subject of discrimination in depth on this forum any longer.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#49 genev

genev

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of zelda,final fantasy,pokemon

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

Where were these people being hired at?

Rights are acceptance on a larger scale. If gay people had equal rights then they would become more accepted in the long run. We're moving towards giving them equal rights anyway so their acceptance in Western society is increasing.

Personal experience in this issue isn't really relevant. Your experience is very limited in the grand scope of things, clearly the discrimination of gay people is a greater issue than someone not getting a job because of their appearance. If you're qualified enough you should get the job and if they choose their workers by another criteria then that is their decision, that is discrimination on a small scale and not discrimination against an entire group of people. Most decent people would hire the person that is right for the job not based on their appearance alone.

Homosexuality and being overweight aren't exactly comparable. One you're born with and the other, unless a genetic condition, you are not. More often than not weight issues are the result of one's lifestyle. You think people with unhealthy lifestyles should be more accepted than people with a sexual orientation that they had no choice over?

I guess you're right though, fat people should be able to get married too.

I live in Greece, so even if I mentioned the companies you wouldn't know. Also, I don't know what happens in Australia but here I have never seen anyone pointing a finger and calling bad names a gay person, but all the time I see people pointing at overweight people calling them fat cows, how you get out like these in the streets and more. I have gay friends and they never experienced any kind of discrimination or being ridiculed by classmates or generally people. But I have also overweight friends who were being bullied all their school life and they had reached a point of depression. If Australia discriminates gay people it's an issue of your country and not mine. Regarding gay marriage at least as long as I will live I think it will never be allowed in Greece, not because of the people but because the church has great influence in such decisions. Also, nobody has proved that you're born with heterosexuality,homosexuality, bisexuality etc.

'' It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong.''

Voltaire

#50 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:57 AM

I live in Greece, so even if I mentioned the companies you wouldn't know. Also, I don't know what happens in Australia but here I have never seen anyone pointing a finger and calling bad names a gay person, but all the time I see people pointing at overweight people calling them fat cows, how you get out like these in the streets and more. I have gay friends and they never experienced any kind of discrimination or being ridiculed by classmates or generally people. But I have also overweight friends who were being bullied all their school life and they had reached a point of depression. If Australia discriminates gay people it's an issue of your country and not mine. Regarding gay marriage at least as long as I will live I think it will never be allowed in Greece, not because of the people but because the church has great influence in such decisions. Also, nobody has proved that you're born with heterosexuality,homosexuality, bisexuality etc.

I'm a Christian. I think gay marriage will eventually be legal in every country. Being part of the church i becoming increasingly taboo and seen as "old school", "backwards thinking", whereas supporting gay acts is becoming increasingly cool and seen as "forward thinking". Also if the final book of the Bible basically says that eventually almost no one will be following Christian law. It's really just  matter of how long it takes to get there.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#51 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

Nope. If you so much as watch the news you'll see various examples of discrimination against each.

I however refuse to post specific examples so I can watch as yiu and possibly others try to blindly justify such disgusting acts. That is why, as I've said may times before, I refuse to talk about the subject of discrimination in depth on this forum any longer.

Oh alright. Great.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Next time don't laugh at what I say if you're not even going to discuss a topic. Jesus Christ.

Well even if you don't tell me the companies, how do you know these people weren't hired because of their appearance and what kind of a job was it?

I'm seeing a lot of "it's an issue in your country and not mine" and then "but we wont allow them to get married". Okay no problem, you don't experience discrimination of that kind so you feel you can ignore the right that they are being refused. Personally you don't experience it but it is out there, there's no denying that.

People are bullied for a range of reasons and it'll vary from person to person and place to place. You can't really say one reason for bullying is worse than the other just based on personal experience, so without statistics I think we can just agree to disagree on that one. I'll agree that overweight people aren't accepted in some ways and are often ridiculed for their weight, can't deny that.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#52 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:02 AM

Oh alright. Great.

Next time don't laugh at what I say if you're not even going to discuss a topic. Jesus Christ.

Well even if you don't tell me the companies, how do you know these people weren't hired because of their appearance and what kind of a job was it?

I'm seeing a lot of "it's an issue in your country and not mine" and then "but we wont allow them to get married". Okay no problem, you don't experience discrimination of that kind so you feel you can ignore the right that they are being refused. Personally you don't experience it but it is out there, there's no denying that.

People are bullied for a range of reasons and it'll vary from person to person and place to place. You can't really say one reason for bullying is worse than the other just based on personal experience, so without statistics I think we can just agree to disagree on that one. I'll agree that overweight people aren't accepted in some ways and are often ridiculed for their weight, can't deny that.

I'm not discussing because I've discussed it before. If you wish you can look up my views from when I did.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#53 genev

genev

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:41 AM

Oh alright. Great.

First, about the tall people I don't know about men but I'm almost 6.2 and I have (girl)friends who are 6.3-6.4 and we all have felt discrimination, I don't care about it now but back in school it really sadened me. Honestly, I know what I'm going to say it's controversial but you believe the most important issue about human rights that the world has to solve is gay marriage? I don't. I will when all these children in 3rd world countries will stop working and have a normal life, when women in some parts of the world will stop being treated like property and will be able to get education, choose their own husbands, work and not been flogged publicly for driving. I don't say that gay people shouldn't get married or fight for that right  but they are far more significant issues that have to be dealt with first. And really do you believe that gay people are so weak and discriminated? Do you know how much power they have about specific issues??? They are a very strong community and I don't think that their biggest concern is their marriage, except for the activists group of course.

P.S I'm not homophobic, I just express my opinion

I'm a Christian. I think gay marriage will eventually be legal in every country. Being part of the church i becoming increasingly taboo and seen as "old school", "backwards thinking", whereas supporting gay acts is becoming increasingly cool and seen as "forward thinking". Also if the final book of the Bible basically says that eventually almost no one will be following Christian law. It's really just  matter of how long it takes to get there.

I don't know about your denomination, but the Orthodox church will never accept it.

Edited by basketballfan, 10 August 2014 - 04:39 AM.

Voltaire

#54 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:59 AM

First, about the tall people I don't know about men but I'm almost 6.2 and I have (girl)friends who are 6.3-6.4 and we all have felt discrimination, I don't care about it now but back in school it really sadened me. Honestly, I know what I'm going to say it's controversial but you believe the most important issue about human rights that the world has to solve is gay marriage? I don't. I will when all these children in 3rd world countries will stop working and have a normal life, when women in some parts of the world will stop being treated like property and will be able to get education, choose their own husbands, work and not been flogged publicly for driving. I don't say that gay people shouldn't get married or fight for that right  but they are far more significant issues that have to be dealt with first. And really do you believe that gay people are so weak and discriminated? Do you know how much power they have about specific issues??? They are a very strong community and I don't think that their biggest concern is their marriage, except for the activists group of course.

I don't know about your denomination, but the Orthodox church will never accept it.

Definitely not the most important issue but it was the issue we are discussing. I agree that those issues you mentioned are much more important but they're even harder to change than simply letting people of the same gender get married. Gay marriage laws are changing in places around the world because it's much easier to change than solving poverty in third world countries, as much as we would all like to do it it's just not that simple. For the other examples regarding women's rights in some countries that is also harder to change because of it being instilled in their tradition and religion. People in the Western world opposing gay marriage is also somewhat of a religious issue for some but  with no state religion it isn't something that is enforced as strongly as it would be if it were.

Just to reiterate, I agree that gay marriage isn't as big an issue as those other issues you mentioned.

I don't think you're homophobic, nothing wrong with your opinion. Sorry if I have been discussing with an attitude or something, today I've been kind of up and down so I didn't mean to be aggressive in discussing with you.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#55 genev

genev

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

Definitely not the most important issue but it was the issue we are discussing. I agree that those issues you mentioned are much more important but they're even harder to change than simply letting people of the same gender get married. Gay marriage laws are changing in places around the world because it's much easier to change than solving poverty in third world countries, as much as we would all like to do it it's just not that simple. For the other examples regarding women's rights in some countries that is also harder to change because of it being instilled in their tradition and religion. People in the Western world opposing gay marriage is also somewhat of a religious issue for some but  with no state religion it isn't something that is enforced as strongly as it would be if it were.

Just to reiterate, I agree that gay marriage isn't as big an issue as those other issues you mentioned.

I don't think you're homophobic, nothing wrong with your opinion. Sorry if I have been discussing with an attitude or something, today I've been kind of up and down so I didn't mean to be aggressive in discussing with you.

Don't worry is just a little difficult for me to understand the ''feeling'' of the message, because I don't get to practise my English a lot and I get confused some times :)

But you have to understand it's very difficult for some people even if they are forward thinking to beagainst or be in favor of gay marriage, because things as religion and personal beliefs intervene.

Voltaire

#56 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Doesn't mateer if they don't accept it if they have no power.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#57 genev

genev

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Doesn't mateer if they don't accept it if they have no power.

They have a lot of power and they also very rich.

Voltaire

#58 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

They have a lot of power and they also very rich.

Right now, yes. Not forever.

At least not while they maintain their current views

Edited by WydrA, 10 August 2014 - 01:07 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!