YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

Obviously for the superior 3DS. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

Atlus returns for another remake but not Devil Survivor 2's.

Edited by Aaron, 06 August 2014 - 12:06 PM.

by chance

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

I have tried demos of this series, but just cant get into it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

I have tried demos of this series, but just cant get into it.

it takes too much time to make the maps yourself, so i wouldn't blame you

by chance

#5 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Bullcrap. You have Automapping on. You don't need a complete map for the more recent games. EO(The First, none of this U:tMG Crap) had a floor where if you Didn't map out everything painstakingly, you would die...a LOT.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:32 PM

I want to but can't get into the series. I am often for quirky games or really Japanese games and even like a SRPG. Just feels like a series you have to be heavily into it to like it.

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:35 AM

Like, I dont even get what the point of making the maps at ALL is.

I know its called ETRIAN oddesy... But I see no point in the map making. I keep trying it, because I remember the island you had to draw a map for in phantom hourglass was really enjoyable. But its just this grid based system, with nothing really interesting in it.

And then the rest of the game is basically a check list of features that are just deal breakers in rpg's for me.

They keep making them, and people enjoy them and get excited for them, so I know there is something there. But I guess its just not for me.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I know its called ETRIAN oddesy... But I see no point in the map making. I keep trying it, because I remember the island you had to draw a map for in phantom hourglass was really enjoyable. But its just this grid based system, with nothing really interesting in it.

And then the rest of the game is basically a check list of features that are just deal breakers in rpg's for me.

They keep making them, and people enjoy them and get excited for them, so I know there is something there. But I guess its just not for me.

You're right, the appeal is limited to maybe 5% of the population. but EO is that franchise that if it CLICKS, OH LAWD IT CLICKS. It's my personal favourite Franchise, mostly because it all comes together as a package for me.

The grid based system works because without a map, you'd get horribly lost in it. There are sections in the middle part of EOIV(Which is the one I most recently beat) where you are literally sliding on ice for large portions. without a map, you'd be lost trying to figure out what to do, because that dungeon has a bunch of gimmicks and such.

I think the best analogy for EO games is that they feel a LOT like an old Dungeons and Dragons Game. The action is limited in what you can see, you have clearly defined skills/classes, etc. In the beginning of a D&D Game, you're a weak, little, lonely party of characters. You don't know how to work together, your party has no idea what it wants to be.

Over time, you quest together, get to know how each character works and their role in the grand picture of things. By around the midpoint of the game(Both if you're doing a weeks long D&D campaign AND if you're doing an EO game), you begin to work together and all of a sudden, everything just clicks into place. 

The best example of this that I can recall off of my head is EOIV. In this, I went in blind and had no idea what I was building to with my party. Then, around the midgame, I realized I had the perfect combo. To make a long point short, Basically I could open with a move that would buff one of combo moves, then every turn I could use a combo move that would hit for everyone of my party member's attacks a certain party. Combining this with a magic spell I had that was a spell where it would hit random times and a sniper move that would hit 7 times, I was able to deal ridiculous damage levels when it worked.

The point I'm trying to convey is that EO isn't going to appeal to the majority, but those it appeals to love it to DEATH

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#9 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

Holy crap. I thought EO would be one of 3dude's favorite game series given how much of an adventure it is. Anyway, I guess I really need to beat EOU now. Any tips to get to the ant queen in the third stratum?

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Holy crap. I thought EO would be one of 3dude's favorite game series given how much of an adventure it is. Anyway, I guess I really need to beat EOU now. Any tips to get to the ant queen in the third stratum?

EO is generally the checklist antithesis to my rpg gaming enjoyment. I think 4's demo came the closest to almost enjoyment, provided it was the one with an overworld and multiple dungeons. Which it wouldnt surprise me at all if series fans unanimously claimed it to be the blacksheep.

1. Dungeon crawlers in general arent a match for me. I typically put up with dungeons because they empower me to explore more of the overworld.
2. There is no overworld (except 4, and even then its extremely detached)
3. No in game character control.
4. Static character portraits. And wtf at some of the designs.
5. Town represented as static screens, travel selected via a menu. BOOOOOoooooo.
6. No visual design/architecture for game world representation. (except very mild vanilla in 4's overworld.

At this point I dont think the greatest turn based combat in the world with the flashiest battle graphics around could help, I find the dungeons entirely too boring visually/architecturally to even want to map... So even my ocd stopped before completing the content in the demo.

The things this game focuses on, and the things i focus on just dont have enough common ground, and im pretty sure if the series transformed into something I enjoyed, it would royally screw over the loyal fans.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Ys Origins is really one of the few dunegon crawlers I like. It's Ys Oath in a more controlled setting so it's super fast paced. It's meant to be that way. With the synth rock OST VERY well designed boss battles which is expected in the Ys series and light puzzle elements. It's esp better for existing Ys fans because for those who played Ys 1 get a deeper look and story around Darms Tower.

I love Grandia/Grandia II (hence my name) but Grandia Xtreme ugh I could not stand. Just a Dungeon Crawler. Crawlers in general for the same reasons listed above is why I can't get into them. It's exceedingly rare I can even try to get into one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!