Photo

Comics Thread: Ultimate Detective Guardians of the Multiversity, Now with ACTION

Marvel DC New 52 Marvel NOW! Comics Events Multiverses

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

Welcome to the WUF Comics thread, in which we discuss the comics that we read. This is a fairly barebones Topic so far.

Current Events:

MARVEL:

Original Sin

A Murder Mystery based around the Watcher's death. So far, it's having implications throughout the Marvel Universe with Thor being deemed unworthy, Spiderman finding out that there was another person bit by his spider, etc.

Death of Wolverine

Title says it all. Wolverine has lost his healing factor and is basically fighting against time.

DC:

Multiversity

An exploration of DC's various Multiverses, with the threat of annilihation resulting in them uniting across the 52 Universes to counter this threat.

Superman: Doomed

Superman, after a battle with Doomsday, slowly finds himself mutating into a Doomsday like creature.

Upcoming Events:

Avengers and X-Men: AXIS

Red Skull has taken control of Professor X's brain, who was killed in 2012's Avengers vs. X-Men and is using it to take over the world. Involves an Inversion of what would normally happen, with characters becoming the opposite of who they are.

Time Runs Out

An event that is based around Hickman's New Avengers Story-line, in which the Marvel Universe is threatened by other worlds by Incursions. They've fought them off, but as the title suggests, Time has run out.

Spiderverse

Spiderman from all different times and places, and all different universes will team up. Includes Miles Morales, Peter Parker, Peter Porker, Superior Spiderman, etc.

New 52: Future's End

Due to events of a multiverse based war, Batman Beyond travels back in time to help the Earth Prepare. All DC Books in September will be taking part in this event.

Recommended Readings:

Ms. Marvel(Recommended by Doctor Strange)

This Book. This fricking book. I'm not going to go out and praise it as the best Comic I've read, but it's amazing. The art is top notch, the characterization is superb. My only real complaint is that the story is a bit slow paced so far, but it's still a really interesting read. Kamalla Khan was a Muslim nerdy teenage girl who following the events of Inhumanity found out she now had super powers. The story does a good job of portraying all sides of Kamala.

Batman New 52 Volume 1: The Court of Owls(Recommended by Doctor Strange)

I'm not normally what one would call a Batman fan. While I enjoy him, a large part of me dislikes how popular he is and how he's treated like a golden child for DC. However, the Court of Owls is a fantastic read if you are at all familiar with the lore of Batman. The general Premise is that Gotham, despite Batman viewing it as his city, has been ruled by the Court of Owls, a mysterious secret society. 

Yeah, that's it for now. Post AWAY. Leave Recommended Comics, etc.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#2 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

Maaaan getting all my comics from the library has left me way behind.

I'm just getting to the end of the whole retun of the phoenix/ Avengers vs. X-men thing  :/

And DC... well there's not anything going on where I'm at lol.

Oh recommended comic? Ultimate Comics: Spider-man. Seriously loving that comic right now. Also the new Nova comics are really great. Were even greater when Ed McGuiness was still on the art, but still really great without him.

Edited by WydrA, 24 August 2014 - 11:10 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#3 MarvelofMan

MarvelofMan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • NNID:MarvelofMan

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

i have a lot of comic books to catch up with, used to read them immediately after buying them but ive been letting the side down. The Darkness comics are calling for me, the darker the story the better :)

#4 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

i have a lot of comic books to catch up with, used to read them immediately after buying them but ive been letting the side down. The Darkness comics are calling for me, the darker the story the better :)

You should read Superman - super dark stuff :P

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#5 MarvelofMan

MarvelofMan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

I will give them a try, to be honest my own ignorance has stopped me from giving Superman comics a chance before. As he is Superman i have always held the presumption nothing really except Kryptonite can stop him lol

#6 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

I will give them a try, to be honest my own ignorance has stopped me from giving Superman comics a chance before. As he is Superman i have always held the presumption nothing really except Kryptonite can stop him lol

Haha I was being sarcastic. Superman is famous for being like the least dark comic ever.

Also he also as a weakness to magic, not just kyrptonite :)

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#7 MarvelofMan

MarvelofMan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

lol you had me fooled :-)

#8 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Donald Glover playing Miles Morales.

Fanboying.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#9 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Donald Glover playing Miles Morales.

Fanboying.

I haven't read any of Miles Morales' Run as Spiderman. Is it any good?

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

#10 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

I haven't read any of Miles Morales' Run as Spiderman. Is it any good?

It's very good. Like I said, my favourite comic right now. Only one that could give i a run for it's money is Nova. Bendis' dialogue is really natural, and pretty funny at the same time and Dave Marquez's at is really consistent and beautiful.

Heck the last three issue's have had 0 fighting in them and I still enjoyed them immensely.

Edited by WydrA, 27 August 2014 - 03:37 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#11 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

It's very good. Like I said, my favourite comic right now. Only one that could give i a run for it's money is Nova. Bendis' dialogue is really natural, and pretty funny at the same time and Dave Marquez's at is really consistent and beautiful.

Heck the last three issue's have had 0 fighting in them and I still enjoyed them immensely.

Eh..I've not enjoyed Bendis' GotG run as much as the A&L Run, but when he hits, he strikes Straight out into Space.

On the other hand, There's rumors going that All New Ultimates is ending in January, which means unfortunately that the Ultimate Universe is probably going to die in the near future.

#12 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Eh..I've not enjoyed Bendis' GotG run as much as the A&L Run, but when he hits, he strikes Straight out into Space.

On the other hand, There's rumors going that All New Ultimates is ending in January, which means unfortunately that the Ultimate Universe is probably going to die in the near future.

Haven't read his GotG run unfortunately, nly managed to find two of the trades so far, so ican't make much o a comparison :/

But I will cry if they kill Ultimate Spiderman (especially since I assume it's making great sales considering that video I just posted). then the only "Teen" comic I'll have left to enjoy is Nova since I can barely bare to read the shadow of what used to be Teen Titans in the Geoff Johns and Sean McKeever eras ;_;

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#13 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Haven't read his GotG run unfortunately, nly managed to find two of the trades so far, so ican't make much o a comparison :/

But I will cry if they kill Ultimate Spiderman (especially since I assume it's making great sales considering that video I just posted). then the only "Teen" comic I'll have left to enjoy is Nova since I can barely bare to read the shadow of what used to be Teen Titans in the Geoff Johns and Sean McKeever eras ;_;

They Probably won't kill him, just migrate him over to the 616 Universe, which is going to get rebooted.

#14 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

They Probably won't kill him, just migrate him over to the 616 Universe, which is going to get rebooted.

Man all the same, that sucks. He had a really cool thing going on with cloak and dagger and some other people and stuff. Probably gonna end up getting scrapped :(

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#15 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

I recommend reading Watchmen. First graphic novel I read, it was pretty great, in my opinion. I also recommend The Dark Knight Returns

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#16 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

I recommend reading Watchmen. First graphic novel I read, it was pretty great, in my opinion. I also recommend The Dark Knight Returns

Read Watchmen and own DKR (I think).Used watchmen to prove to my mom that comic books aren't just for little kiddies lol. A great ook. Feels like classic literature.

Wasn't a huge fan of DKR, mainly cause of the art (sometimes I have to stare at Miller's panels for ages trying to figure out what's going on. There have been times I've just given up and moved on). Also I read  it hen I was a lot younger. Now that I own it maybe I'll give it another try.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#17 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Will add, though I'm not exactly a fan of the impact they've had, I enjoyed the books.

#18 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Will add, though I'm not exactly a fan of the impact they've had, I enjoyed the books.

What do you mean?

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#19 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

What do you mean?

Watchmen/The Dark Knight Returns, while I love the stories, just...didn't help the industry in my Opinion. Like, I LOVE the books, but numerous trends developed from them that just don't sit well with me.

Notably

• Batman and the whole idea of PREP TIME, leading to everyone and their mother saying Batman could take down Superman.
  • The whole darker and grittier trend that the industry went on(And still is partially on). Like, I love my dark and gritty stuff, but having the entire industry, which was based around optimism in a sense(Seriously, look at the self-made heroes in stories E.G. Tony Stark, Spider-Man, heck even Batman to an extent) that was able to be both serious yet uplifting. Peter Parker has had SOOOO much crap thrown at him but yet he keeps going forward.  It's an unpopular opinion, I know that much, but I'd much rather take a less dark story over a brooding story 75% of the time.* Plus, they ruined it with the sequel :P

* I get the need for Drama and such, but in the case of his villians: One is a clown who loves murdering people, One is an immortal genocidal sorceror, and one is a Steroids Freak. I don't get why this Super Seriousness is such a good thing. On the basis of Watchmen, It worked because complex moral world and such.

#20 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

Watchmen/The Dark Knight Returns, while I love the stories, just...didn't help the industry in my Opinion. Like, I LOVE the books, but numerous trends developed from them that just don't sit well with me.

Notably

• Batman and the whole idea of PREP TIME, leading to everyone and their mother saying Batman could take down Superman.
  • The whole darker and grittier trend that the industry went on(And still is partially on). Like, I love my dark and gritty stuff, but having the entire industry, which was based around optimism in a sense(Seriously, look at the self-made heroes in stories E.G. Tony Stark, Spider-Man, heck even Batman to an extent) that was able to be both serious yet uplifting. Peter Parker has had SOOOO much crap thrown at him but yet he keeps going forward.  It's an unpopular opinion, I know that much, but I'd much rather take a less dark story over a brooding story 75% of the time.* Plus, they ruined it with the sequel :P

* I get the need for Drama and such, but in the case of his villians: One is a clown who loves murdering people, One is an immortal genocidal sorceror, and one is a Steroids Freak. I don't get why this Super Seriousness is such a good thing. On the basis of Watchmen, It worked because complex moral world and such.

Yeah i can see where you're coming from there. Now that I think about it all my favourite comics aren't at all dark and gritty. Teen Titans, Spiderman, nova... they're all pretty right comics, even though they can get serious.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Marvel, DC, New 52, Marvel NOW!, Comics, Events, Multiverses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!