#1 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

Emma Watson made a speech a few days ago about feminism and gender equality. I thought it was a really good speech, because she not only addresses how women are suppressed, but also how men are suppressed by the societal definition of masculinity. Here's the video, if you haven't seen it. 

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

fantasticc speech. Shame it immediately earned harrassment from 4chan.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Watched it a couple days ago. It's okay. Very overrated when you consider that, first of all, it's all been said before, second of all, it was a little unfocused. Kind of jumped around and repeated itself a bit.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#4 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

but also how men are suppressed by the societal definition of masculinity. 

Ugh. I guess I'll watch it later though.

Watched. Yep, the word sucks and 99.9% of the people who follow it are just making everyone look bad. Good on Emma for actually going places and doing things though. Can't be expected of most.

Two-Things:

1. It isn't my problem. I don't care what the societal definition of masculine is. I'm a virgin. Society thinks I'm a loser.(actually not true based on adults who I've told I was a virgin during a conversation about sex...only time I can remember being made fun of for it was when I was like twelve...and I almost forgot while writing this) Oh no! What am I to do? Actually I guess I won't call other people pathetic for caring what society thinks of them since I haven't gotten much scrutiny but either way it's not my problem. Societies too stupid for me to care what they think(well care in a manner of speaking...see I do care but not in such a way my feelings are hurt...if you get what I mean). If I start caring about stupid thoughts I'll start to match them.

2. I don't believe in equality. It's a fairy-tale. 

Edited by Gimbal, 24 September 2014 - 10:45 PM.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#5 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

Ugh. I guess I'll watch it later though.

She really doesn't talk about it much. She just kind of touches on it twice, uses the usual thing about it sucks men cant express their feelings.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#6 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

She really doesn't talk about it much. She just kind of touches on it twice, uses the usual thing about it sucks men cant express their feelings.

They can. They just have to act like men and deal with it when people talk or even do carp. Oh, I'm sorry. I just said "act like a man" as if men are supposed to be strong or as if men are supposed to act a certain way. Not only that but by default I just said that women aren't supposed to be strong. Shame on me for conforming to societal views and stereotypes.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#7 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

They can. They just have to act like men and deal with it when people talk or even do carp. Oh, I'm sorry. I just said "act like a man" as if men are supposed to be strong or as if men are supposed to act a certain way. Not only that but by default I just said that women aren't supposed to be strong. Shame on me for conforming to societal views and stereotypes.

When I said "can't" I meant "it's not acceptable for them to" lol

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!