NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

Squid Research Lab breaking news! We’ve just received new intel on a fascinating device discovered in the underground octopus base. Apparently it’s possible to ride along these ink rails when in squid form!

tumblr_ngnfxjli2f1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#2 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

I misinterpreted that title, thinking that an SJW was triggered by squids or something.

Thankfully, that is not the case and it's cool that the devs are taking this approach.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#3 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Does anyone think it looks a little jaggy?:s

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#4 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

Does anyone think it looks a little jaggy?:s

It definitely does. I wasn't going to say anything to avoid being 'that guy' but I'm glad someone did.

EDIT: Well it seems the more recent screenshots are lower res and more heavily compressed but the older ones are much better looking, the screenshot that Sorcerer chose is probably the one with the most noticeable aliasing there actually. The art style is pretty cool so good thing some of these screenshots do it justice.

Spoiler

Edited by CUD, 17 December 2014 - 10:24 PM.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#5 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Yeah I didn't want to be that guy either but it's kind of the elephant in the room otherwise. Hopefully it's just this one pic. Or if there is a problem that the team will clean it up before launch.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#6 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

Yeah I didn't want to be that guy either but it's kind of the elephant in the room otherwise. Hopefully it's just this one pic. Or if there is a problem that the team will clean it up before launch.

From that post it doesn't seem like you saw my edit but the screenshot that Sorcerer used is probably the one with the most aliasing that I saw on the blog. Whether the latest build has reduced anti aliasing for the sake of performance we'll have to wait and see but the screenshots in my previous post's spoiler look great to me so fingers crossed.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#7 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Can I still say I called it?

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#8 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

Can I still say I called it?

82671-Ill-allow-it-Senor-Chang-commu-fEr

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#9 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

Spoiler

After comparing the first picture with the second batch of pictures I think its safe to say Splatoon 3DS version Confirmed!

#10 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:58 PM

After comparing the first picture with the second batch of pictures I think its safe to say Splatoon 3DS version Confirmed!

... How didn't I see it sooner?!

Seriously, you may be right.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#11 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

... How didn't I see it sooner?!

Pretty unlikely. They don't have any reason to not tell us if there was one in development, and I would still say the jaggy picture is a little above what the 3DS can do.

Edited by WydrA, 17 December 2014 - 10:05 AM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

No. The pic is just badly adjusted.

Go find a 4k wallpaper then set it as wallpaper on a 1080P monitor and see the same thing happen. It just didn't adjust well to whoever did it.

3DS lol man not even Vita could pull that off.

#13 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

No. The pic is just badly adjusted.

Go find a 4k wallpaper then set it as wallpaper on a 1080P monitor and see the same thing happen. It just didn't adjust well to whoever did it.

3DS lol man not even Vita could pull that off.

You wont get that kind of aliasing if you downscale an image, it should have less aliasing if anything.

That does look like Vita quality with that aliasing, a bit higher res but still not that amazing. The other screens are very nice looking but that one with all that aliasing just isn't on the same level.

Pretty unlikely. They don't have any reason to not tell us if there was one in development, and I would still say the jaggy picture is a little above what the 3DS can do.

It's definitely a higher res than a 3DS screenshot but whether it's above the 3DS' capabilities is debatable.

I'm open to the possibility of it coming to 3DS at this point but I'm aware that one screenshot isn't a dead giveaway. Who knows.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#14 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

You wont get that kind of aliasing if you downscale an image, it should have less aliasing if anything.

Not true. For instance, Wii U screenshots are downscaled to 720p even if the game is originally 1080p like Smash, but there's still really bad aliasing. It's just a case of bad downscaling.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#15 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

Not true. For instance, Wii U screenshots are downscaled to 720p even if the game is originally 1080p like Smash, but there's still really bad aliasing. It's just a case of bad downscaling.

That's because there's aliasing in the first place at 1080p. I was making the assumption that the 4k res screenshot in Strider's example was free of aliasing so the downscaled image wouldn't then become aliased, he seemed to suggest that by downscaling this would happen.

Basically, if you have aliasing at a high res and then downscale the image the aliasing is still going to be there. The thing is that there were so many other screenshots that didn't feature the same aliasing issues that we can see in that pic.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#16 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

I'm sure the screenshot is just a poor example but games like MK8 and Super Smash Bros don't really have AA, doesn't stop them from looking good on your actual TV/Monitor.

Actually, when I had my PC I would always turn AA off on a 1080p game as it would just blur the game.

#17 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

That's because there's aliasing in the first place at 1080p. I was making the assumption that the 4k res screenshot in Strider's example was free of aliasing so the downscaled image wouldn't then become aliased, he seemed to suggest that by downscaling this would happen.

Basically, if you have aliasing at a high res and then downscale the image the aliasing is still going to be there. The thing is that there were so many other screenshots that didn't feature the same aliasing issues that we can see in that pic.

Still not true. Downsampling is how some types of AA works. If you downscale the right way, even a highly aliased 1080p image will become much less aliased.

smashalias.png

(Click for full quality)

The top picture is the original shot (from Sm4sh). The bottom left is shrunk to half the size but still retains the aliasing because it's simply taking out half the pixels in each row and column. The bottom right is shrunk to the same size but instead of taking out half of the pixels it combines two together into one, smoothing it out a bit. That's how some AA works. Pretty sure Wii U screenshots do the whole take out half the pixels thing for some reason. Wish they fix that, or better, let us post 1080p screens.

Edited by MatrixChicken, 17 December 2014 - 04:04 PM.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#18 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

Still not true. Downsampling is how some types of AA works. If you downscale the right way, even a highly aliased 1080p image will become much less aliased.

attachicon.gifsmashalias.png

(Click for full quality)

The top picture is the original shot (from Sm4sh). The bottom left is shrunk to half the size but still retains the aliasing because it's simply taking out half the pixels in each row and column. The bottom right is shrunk to the same size but instead of taking out half of the pixels it combines two together into one, smoothing it out a bit. That's how some AA works. Pretty sure Wii U screenshots do the whole take out half the pixels thing for some reason. Wish they fix that, or better, let us post 1080p screens.

I know how downsampling works but I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to the image itself just being scaled down to a lower resolution like the smaller image on the left.

What Strider was suggesting is that by down scaling they increased the apparent aliasing and I said the opposite should be true, especially at 4k to 1080p in his example.

I'm sure the screenshot is just a poor example but games like MK8 and Super Smash Bros don't really have AA, doesn't stop them from looking good on your actual TV/Monitor.

Actually, when I had my PC I would always turn AA off on a 1080p game as it would just blur the game.

You were probably using FXAA.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#19 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

It honestly just looks like a image screen capped off live stream and then scaled badly after that. Gotta remember Sites often half hazard find something quick off a google search for header images or something they already had on their PC

#20 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

I thin the word you're looking for is haphazard ryudo lol

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY