• 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

uutrrc.gif

xpldzp.gif

ayoapz.gif

Here is 4 1/2 minutes of The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask comparison between the Nintendo 64 and Nintendo 3DS version. This is the comparison before hitting the start button and meeting the skull kid/Majora's Mask for the first time when he turns you into a Deku Scrub. 

There's a lot of noticeable differences between the two versions and The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask for the Nintendo 3DS is in 60fps and is much faster than the Nintendo 64 Majora's Mask so I had to keep cutting at times just to keep them accurate.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#2 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

god the game looks so much better, I'm also really glad they sped up the test... a lot

wa3Nq7j.png

#3 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

Awesome! I'm so excited to get this game. I love Majora's Mask. :D

#4 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

Really makes me wish the 3DS was more powerful.

I wont be getting this at launch, maybe later at a better price but right now I probably wouldn't even finish the game since I haven't even played my 3DS in a while.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

Putting those proprietary Maestro fog/smoke extensinos to good use. Looks SOOOO much better than n64 fog.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

I preordered this along with a new 3DS XL and MH4.

Great improvements.

Edited by AllMyFriendsAreGhosts, 19 January 2015 - 03:18 PM.

#7 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

What a remake this looks like. February 13th is just around the corner!

#8 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

Am I supposed to be impressed?

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#9 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

Am I supposed to be impressed?

Considering your only friend is Zinix, no. LOL

It's an impressive remake IMO. They kept the mystical atmosphere of the original but just took it another level. I am interested to see this game in 3D too given the unique art style.

For everyone else, here is a video of Aonuma doing a 15 minute walk through.

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#10 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

They could have made the game look like twilight princess but that wasn't it's intended style.

#11 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

They could have made the game look like twilight princess but that wasn't it's intended style.

They don't need to make it look like Twilight Princess. They could just, you know, give it an artstyle that doesn't make it look like it's still an N64 game, and also give it an updated soundtrack?

It's just such an 'ugly' remake, and as I said, it looks so much like the N64 version that it gives off the illusion that it is merely a remastered port, until you compare side-by-side. The 3DS is better than that!

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#12 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

They don't need to make it look like Twilight Princess. They could just, you know, give it an artstyle that doesn't make it look like it's still an N64 game, and also give it an updated soundtrack?

It's just such an 'ugly' remake, and as I said, it looks so much like the N64 version that it gives off the illusion that it is merely a remastered port, until you compare side-by-side. The 3DS is better than that!

It may be, but why? If you update it too much is it really the same game anymore?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#13 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

Yeh doesn't really make too much sense. That's like saying when Nintendo redid Wind Waker for the Wii U they should have changed the art style so it doesn't look like a gamecube game.

#14 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

Yeh doesn't really make too much sense. That's like saying when Nintendo redid Wind Waker for the Wii U they should have changed the art style so it doesn't look like a gamecube game.

Not at all comparable. The Wind Waker's style is not one that felt much limitation from the GCN hardware. Majora's Mask, on the other hand, could use a major upgrade from the blocky N64 graphics. The thing is that with this remake they really just improved the textures, but stuck to a very blocky N64 graphical style, especially for the character models. It looks incredibly inconsistent and tacky. You can't put Twilight Princess-like textures on an N64 game and expect it to work.

And I mean... Maybe I might like the game to be a little different from the original? And not just a new fishing mini-game. Majora's Mask in its original form is easily available to consumers today... Why would I want to pay for the exact same thing again with not-so-great looking graphical upgrades for a full $40? What's the point of a remake if they're just rereleasing the same thing again? There is a fine balance that can be struck, just look at the Pokemon remakes. Those are REAL remakes, they give a lot of incentive to buy. They do change things up... And it could be argued that's bad in terms of that series seeing as they're too stubborn to release old Pokemon games on the VC, and the batteries have messed up on some of them rendering them unsavable. Not at all the case with Majora's Mask. There's no reason to make Majora's Mask 3D so close to being a port. If people don't like it, they don't have to buy it. Their original MM remains untouched and is available so easily.

But... The least I could ask for is a remade soundtrack? That really helps the feel of a game. Now this game (and OOT3D) feel even more like cheaply done N64 remasters just because they keep the same N64 soundtrack. I mean, gosh, even Kingdom Hearts I and II have remade soundtracks for their cheap-in-cost bundled remastered port collections. Why in the world can Nintendo not even hold themselves to that standard for a remake?

Edited by Envy, 21 January 2015 - 10:33 AM.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#15 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

Not at all comparable. The Wind Waker's style is not one that felt much limitation from the GCN hardware. Majora's Mask, on the other hand, could use a major upgrade from the blocky N64 graphics. The thing is that with this remake they really just improved the textures, but stuck to a very blocky N64 graphical style, especially for the character models. It looks incredibly inconsistent and tacky. You can't put Twilight Princess-like textures on an N64 game and expect it to work.

And I mean... Maybe I might like the game to be a little different from the original? And not just a new fishing mini-game. Majora's Mask in its original form is easily available to consumers today... Why would I want to pay for the exact same thing again with not-so-great looking graphical upgrades for a full $40? What's the point of a remake if they're just rereleasing the same thing again? There is a fine balance that can be struck, just look at the Pokemon remakes. Those are REAL remakes, they give a lot of incentive to buy. They do change things up... And it could be argued that's bad in terms of that series seeing as they're too stubborn to release old Pokemon games on the VC, and the batteries have messed up on some of them rendering them unsavable. Not at all the case with Majora's Mask. There's no reason to make Majora's Mask 3D so close to being a port. If people don't like it, they don't have to buy it. Their original MM remains untouched and is available so easily.

But... The least I could ask for is a remade soundtrack? That really helps the feel of a game. Now this game (and OOT3D) feel even more like cheaply done N64 remasters just because they keep the same N64 soundtrack. I mean, gosh, even Kingdom Hearts I and II have remade soundtracks for their cheap-in-cost bundled remastered port collections. Why in the world can Nintendo not even hold themselves to that standard for a remake?

I wouldn't say the remake's art style is blocky, with an increased poly count they have reduced the blocky nature of the N64 character models. I think the art style works well, it's a nice handheld Zelda style and I'd say I prefer it over the Wind Waker style that they used on the DS Zelda games.

I agree that they could have made more changes to the game, I haven't played much of the original and what I did play was years ago but it would definitely be nice to have some content that adds more replayability, maybe a survival dungeon mode or something similar. I find myself playing Zelda games once then not coming back to them again, while I definitely enjoy them OoT was the only I have completed more than once and that was mainly because the 3DS version still seemed fresh enough over the N64 version to keep me interested and not make me feel like I was just doing the same things over again, it probably helped that it had been a while since I played the N64 version. I do think replayability is something they really should work on in Zelda games and a survival mode in a 3DS Zelda would do very nicely.

The soundtrack is a very good point and something that bothered me in the OoT3D remake. I forgot about that until you mentioned it just now, it really is a shame that they don't bother to redo the soundtrack.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#16 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

I wouldn't say the remake's art style is blocky, with an increased poly count they have reduced the blocky nature of the N64 character models. I think the art style works well, it's a nice handheld Zelda style and I'd say I prefer it over the Wind Waker style that they used on the DS Zelda games.

I do agree with you regarding the models. To me they don't still look blocky. Everything has more smoothness, curves and a roundness to it making it more pleasing to the eye. Clearly the models have gotten reworked and have much higher poly counts, and the texture work seems to be polished throughout. Lighting also an obvious improvement. It no longer looks muddy but the original aura of the game still exists.

I'm looking forward to playing this on the new handheld. 

#17 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Wait, it's 60fps?

#18 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Not sure why this video is even necessary to promote the game. OoT already had gyro controls so I'm not sure what the point to this video is.

The gyro controls are able to be disabled, they do work well most of the time but it's good the option is there.

Wait, it's 60fps?

Pretty sure it's 30.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#19 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

I wasn't having a go at you Envy, I felt like saying that because IGN in there OOT 3D review said it.

I agree with you side to side that 3DS looks better but doesn't completely blow it out of the water. But I don't think many people care about that, it gives people like myself am opportunity to play something we missed out on and we'll welcome it with open arms.

And if this re-release doesn't meet your expectations, than save your money, nothing wrong with that, smart decision.  

Edited by Son Edo, 21 January 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#20 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

I wasn't having a go at you Envy, I felt like saying that because IGN in there OOT 3D review said it.

I agree with you side to side that 3DS looks better but doesn't completely blow it out of the water. But I don't think many people care about that, it gives people like myself am opportunity to play something we missed out on and we'll welcome it with open arms.

Well, I come from the perspective of having loved and played the original.

I really used to be easily impressed with these kinds of things. I went out and bought OOT3D the day it came out (or somewhere around), even though I did not have a job for myself back then and that pretty much took all of my fun money for a good while. That was not in the least bit wise, as when I actually played through it, I felt really ripped off. I had played OOT a whole lot in childhood and I guess that was the problem... The game is front and back exactly the same as the original, and the visuals are not even redone enough to make it worthwhile at all aside from being a portable version of OOT with Master Quest (which I had also played before, as it was a preorder bonus for WW).

I don't understand how people can look at those character models and be impressed by them at all, but for those who have never played the original MM I can not blame you for picking this up... But as for me, I'm saving my money. Hopefully someday in the future Nintendo goes back and gives the N64 Zelda titles a real remake. But I'll probably be dead before that happens, I guess. >.<

-

woodwinds3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!