20 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

Fascinating:

There's rumor of the screen resolution being higher in exclusive games through better screen hardware (what do you think?)

It's been said that this system may have a solid life of 2-3 years before a new system, and rumor of more Wii 1 ports. Twilight Princess was once mentioned in a supposed leak

Amiibo support

There is a certain amount of tightlippedness about the New 3DS upcoming software

Majora's Mask 3DS is only 611MB

Disgraceful:

No included AC adapter

XL only, in certain regions including NA

You actually need a screwdriver to change the memory card

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

Not worried about the screwdriver, it's not like your gonna be swapping out memory cards every week. No adapter, sucks for those just buying the handheld for the 1st time, but doesn't affect me either way.

Fascinating:

That little control nub actually works well, according to a lot of people who already have the system.

Nintendo stuck with the 3d and actually improved it greatly. Good for them.

According to a post on gaf, the new 3ds can be setup as a network storage device, easily allowing transfer of files. Thats here: http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=939712

So, I got my New Nintendo 3DS XL today. Did a system transfer from my UK console, all went well. Decided to have a look at the new functions on the system menu. microSD Management? That's new. Let's try that.

(FBI SURVELLIANCE VAN is the SSID of my router network, if that wasn't obvious)

i0m4OqxUxSxAk.png

My New Nintendo 3DS (well, the SD at least) is now a network storage device. I can transfer any file types back and forth, and I never have to remove the SD card again. I can even set the thing as a network drive! 

jb1gX0aQRItidZ.png

Is this the first of its kind? I am kinda shocked at how good this is. I knew there would be a way to transfer files, but Nintendo never elaborated on it other than "yeah you can transfer music and photos across"

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Fascinating:

Gonna have exclusive games

More buttons

Faceplates! (For small N3DS only...)

More power! :D

Amiibo support built in!

Better 3D!

Feels better in the hand

Disgraceful:

Same screen resolution as the other models...

Small new 3DS isn't coming to NA because Reggie is stupid

The price

No adapter.... WTF?!?!?

And worst of all... the placements of the cartridge slot, volume slider, stylus, mirco SD card slot, and the lack of a wireless slider...

Idc too much for the sd card thing since I won't be changing it much... but the fact that the cartridge's colour is light grey (almost white) will stick out like a sour thumb on nearly every colour of the new 3DS... the Stylus would have been perfect on the right side like on DSi and DS lite, but it's fine the way it is, the volume slider is just weird that it's up there, never bothered me on the bottom, and the wireless switch I just found to be convient is all.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

I think the higher resolution screen is made up flim flam. If it were true though, I wouldnt feel so miffed about having to get an XL.

I do find the face tracking sweet spot matching tech fascinating though. What an absolutely wonderful and necessary breakthrough. I love the 3d effect, but having to stay within the sweet spot, or get headache inducing double vision is a pain. This makes using 3d a joy!

Although the screen resolution is the same, for players who can finally enjoy using the 3d, they may quickly find games suddenly look much better. Thats because 3ds games in 3d have twice as much image data as when in 2d mode. When your eyes put the two images together to form a single 3d image, you get an effectively higher resolution than you get in 2d mode, which just doubles neighbor pixels, basically, it picks one of the two 3ds images, and doubles the pixels to fill the screen. (effectively making a single double sized pixel) instead of rendering in 240X800.

Probably the first things they will notice when playing in 3d is how much more they can see on the sides, and how much better the textures look, this is because they are no longer losing out on half of the image data.

Its also why 2d 3ds screen shots look horrible.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

Fascinating:

Faceplates! (For small N3DS only...)

Disgraceful:

Small new 3DS isn't coming to NA because Reggie is stupid

Face plates... they were all mine... and then the direct happened.  :unsure:

AceNMDa.gif

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

Don't know what to say.
They improved on points o didn't like about the normal 3ds.
I think the name is pure crap.
They are just going to confused a ton of people who don't know better.
And it will get worse when there is "new 3ds" only games. They should label the system as N3ds or super3ds.

Moving on....
I think this is more of a test system. Of all goes well and devs can make some money. I believe they will release a new 3ds system.

But all in all. I have one preorder and seems like it will be a good buy

Face plates... they were all mine... and then the direct happened.  :unsure:
 AceNMDa.gif

Yep yep.
I wonder of plates will come for the xl?
I mean the bottom does snap off once you unscrew it. And I'm sure the top will unscrew also.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#7 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

Don't know what to say.
They improved on points o didn't like about the normal 3ds.
I think the name is pure crap.
They are just going to confused a ton of people who don't know better.
And it will get worse when there is "new 3ds" only games. They should label the system as N3ds or super3ds.

Moving on....
I think this is more of a test system. Of all goes well and devs can make some money. I believe they will release a new 3ds system.

But all in all. I have one preorder and seems like it will be a good buy

Yep yep.
I wonder of plates will come for the xl?
I mean the bottom does snap off once you unscrew it. And I'm sure the top will unscrew also.

Yeah, but the new 3DS XL doesn't have a crack in between the cameras and the rest of the top like the reg new 3DS so it would me a lot harder to intergrate faceplates...

Super 3DS would have been the PERFECT name for it! The system already has an homage to the SNES because of the colourful ABXY buttons (which again, aren't on the XL... Nintendo of america stop making me hate you @_@) and well, it is literally a 3DS on steroids so it would have worked very well.

I think the higher resolution screen is made up flim flam. If it were true though, I wouldnt feel so miffed about having to get an XL.

I do find the face tracking sweet spot matching tech fascinating though. What an absolutely wonderful and necessary breakthrough. I love the 3d effect, but having to stay within the sweet spot, or get headache inducing double vision is a pain. This makes using 3d a joy!

Although the screen resolution is the same, for players who can finally enjoy using the 3d, they may quickly find games suddenly look much better. Thats because 3ds games in 3d have twice as much image data as when in 2d mode. When your eyes put the two images together to form a single 3d image, you get an effectively higher resolution than you get in 2d mode, which just doubles neighbor pixels, basically, it picks one of the two 3ds images, and doubles the pixels to fill the screen. (effectively making a single double sized pixel) instead of rendering in 240X800.

Probably the first things they will notice when playing in 3d is how much more they can see on the sides, and how much better the textures look, this is because they are no longer losing out on half of the image data.

Its also why 2d 3ds screen shots look horrible.

So the resolution of the 3DS looks better with 3D on or what?

The main reason I want the small 3DS more is due to the fact that games will visually look better on it than the XL due to the pixel density... you're the one that made me upsess over this lol XD

And well, they made it a bit bigger than the old 3DS in terms of screen sizes and stuff so that's fun too :P

sfOI1m6.jpg

#8 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

^
Yea I haven't look at the top much. I know the button comes off tho.
And yea super 3ds would of been the best name for it.
Could of even came with a eshop download of a class snes game of your choice. Pick one game out of 5 or something.
Ahhhhh nintendo they don't know how to do anything
xile06 "N" ID

#9 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

Extra buttons, better 3d and more power are game changers. Devs know everyone that buys the system have thes things as standard (unlike CPP being optional) so we should get handheld games that play and feel better than ever.

#10 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

^
Yea I haven't look at the top much. I know the button comes off tho.
And yea super 3ds would of been the best name for it.
Could of even came with a eshop download of a class snes game of your choice. Pick one game out of 5 or something.
Ahhhhh nintendo they don't know how to do anything

Make the five games Super mario World, A link to the past, Super Metroid, can't think of any others... >.< a kirby game maybe?

what button comes off?

sfOI1m6.jpg

#11 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

Fascinating: supposedly some games will have features available only on it?

improved 3d

xenoblade chronicles for new 3ds

fricking disgusting: no faceplates b/c no small 3ds

by chance

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

So the resolution of the 3DS looks better with 3D on or what?

The main reason I want the small 3DS more is due to the fact that games will visually look better on it than the XL due to the pixel density... you're the one that made me upsess over this lol XD

And well, they made it a bit bigger than the old 3DS in terms of screen sizes and stuff so that's fun too :P

Yes, the pixel density IS higher on the og 3ds, they are the same resolution screens, the OG 3ds and new 3ds, simply has smaller pixels, which raies the ppi, and makes the image look much cleaner, at the tradeoff of having a smaller screen.

However, both the 3ds and the 3dsxl DO get increases in effective resolution with the switch to 3d. Its because of the way the 3d works.

In 3d, the 3ds displays two images simultaneously, from slightly different angles, one for the left eye, and one for the right eye, and then sends one image to each eye, creating a 3d image.

well, the two images are interlaced with each other, so every even vertical line of pixels is for the right eye, and every odd line of vertical pixels is for the left eye.

When the game switches to 2d, it only uses ONE of those images, but that image by itself will only fill half the 3ds screen, so to fix that, the system simply doubles each vertical line of pixels, So when you are in 2d mode, you only see half of the image data you would see when in 3d mode. This is most easily identifiable by noticing you cant see as far to the left and the right in 2d as you could in 3d, for example, a crate you would be able to see at the far left of the screen in 3d, would be just off screen in 2d. The textures also lose definition in 2d mode, as you see a slightly different part of the texture with your left eye than you do your right eye, and putting them together gives you the whole texture, in 2d mode, you lose half of that visual information, and have it replaced by simply duplicating pixels.

EX: if a pixel is green, like say its from a grass texture, in 2d it simply copies that pixel, so the pixel to the right of it is made the exact shade of green, however, if the game was in 3d, that pixel would be for the other eye, and would be on a part of that grass texture that was shaded, and would be a darker shade of green, giving a better looking texture in 3d, than you would have in 2d.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

New New 3DS XL coming with faceplates. Calling it now. :P

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#14 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:09 AM

Should have been the first model launched when it first launched.

Edited by Son Edo, 23 January 2015 - 02:15 AM.

#15 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:02 AM

Should have been the first model launched when it first launched.

That's a tough call, you could say that about almost any device. From tv's, to phones, laptops, even vehicles etc.

#16 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:18 AM

You're right I'm being harsh.

Instead of the xl in 2012, they should have released it.

#17 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:34 AM

Make the five games Super mario World, A link to the past, Super Metroid, can't think of any others... >.< a kirby game maybe?

what button comes off?

?
Oh auto correct , bottom plate comes off.
So it's changeable. Just not as easy as snap in face plstes.
xile06 "N" ID

#18 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

I really like my New 3ds. The 3d tracking works really good, even in the dark :S ?! Yes, it does. Even with my glasses. The 3d n Fire Emblem really makes it much easier for my eyes. Amiibo, I have not tried yet. The Ambassador Faceplates I left them in the package and directly clicked the special Smashbros plates whick look really cool. 

With the C-Stick, MH4 is so much better to play with, I really love that demo and. And my verdict:

Pro: Love the OS speed, internetbrowser, C-stick and 3d

Con: The standard New 3ds is a little bit on the small size, not so much the screen, but more the left analogue stick and the rest of the package. Had some serious cramping. Yet...now I am quitte used to it.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#19 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

Yes, the pixel density IS higher on the og 3ds, they are the same resolution screens, the OG 3ds and new 3ds, simply has smaller pixels, which raies the ppi, and makes the image look much cleaner, at the tradeoff of having a smaller screen.

However, both the 3ds and the 3dsxl DO get increases in effective resolution with the switch to 3d. Its because of the way the 3d works.

In 3d, the 3ds displays two images simultaneously, from slightly different angles, one for the left eye, and one for the right eye, and then sends one image to each eye, creating a 3d image.

well, the two images are interlaced with each other, so every even vertical line of pixels is for the right eye, and every odd line of vertical pixels is for the left eye.

When the game switches to 2d, it only uses ONE of those images, but that image by itself will only fill half the 3ds screen, so to fix that, the system simply doubles each vertical line of pixels, So when you are in 2d mode, you only see half of the image data you would see when in 3d mode. This is most easily identifiable by noticing you cant see as far to the left and the right in 2d as you could in 3d, for example, a crate you would be able to see at the far left of the screen in 3d, would be just off screen in 2d. The textures also lose definition in 2d mode, as you see a slightly different part of the texture with your left eye than you do your right eye, and putting them together gives you the whole texture, in 2d mode, you lose half of that visual information, and have it replaced by simply duplicating pixels.

EX: if a pixel is green, like say its from a grass texture, in 2d it simply copies that pixel, so the pixel to the right of it is made the exact shade of green, however, if the game was in 3d, that pixel would be for the other eye, and would be on a part of that grass texture that was shaded, and would be a darker shade of green, giving a better looking texture in 3d, than you would have in 2d.

Damn Nintendo cheaped out :P

Thank you for your explanation though, very interesting stuff! I noticed how if  you put your 3DS away from you with 3D on and move it left to right you see black verticle lines moving, and if it's up close and you move a bit sometimes it reverses the 3D effect and makes everything pop out opposite to what it would when you look at it head on.

I still find the 3D to be a form of sorcerory though :P so does that mean the 3DS XL will make games look less detailed because of the fact that they have to blow up the pixels more?

?
Oh auto correct , bottom plate comes off.
So it's changeable. Just not as easy as snap in face plstes.

Yeah :P

sfOI1m6.jpg

#20 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:37 AM

In theory you get the same overall detail, but not per inch or in the same surface area. It's stretched over a larger space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!