NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is a quite astonishing feat, and whereas early videos of the port in motion looked a little wobbly, the final product is stable, the frame-rate holding steady while the draw distance (judged from the first three hours, at least) hasn't diminished. Monster Games is handling the port, and this already seems as assured an effort as its work on the 3DS version of Donkey Kong Country Returns, although this time around there's been no need to halve the frame-rate.

One question mark hangs over Xenobloade Chronicles 3D. The original was never the most technically astounding of games, and not purely because its more diminutive host console: textures were often smeared, and the character faces sometimes look like they'd been dripped awkwardly on, all of which this new version is faithful to. What Xenoblade Chronicles had, though, was scale, its overworld stretching out towards the horizon as impossible rock-faces curled in on themselves across the skyline. The 3DS version is faithful to that scale - impressively so - but there's only so much you can do with the real estate offered by the smaller screen.

Detail can be lost, too, both in battle where the screen tends to get a little too cluttered and in general exploration where waypoints can become a hard to determine smudge. Come its release in April, it's hard to see this ousting the Wii version as the ideal way of playing Xenoblade Chronicles, even taking into account the escalating price of an original on eBay

That might be looking a gift horse in the mouth, though, and other aspects of Xenoblade Chronicles lend themselves perfectly well to portable play, such as the gentle grind in its vast open fields or its tangle of side quests that can be seen through in one quick sitting. The magic of Monolith Soft's creation hasn't been diminished here, even if the format it finds itself on isn't quite ideal. For a platform that's already received the likes of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Majora's Mask and with Codename Steam still to come, this is just another addition to what's becoming an embarrassment of riches for the 3DS in 2015

From http://www.eurogamer...down-to-the-3ds

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#2 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

although this time around there's been no need to halve the frame-rate

So glad to hear that! I've never been bugged by frame rate like in DKCR 3D. 

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, I bet with the 3ds's resolution, and how far out Xenoblade goes, that distant objects would be hard to recognize.

Not much of an issue for someone who already knows the entire game by heart, but could be a bit of an issue for newcomers.

Still completely worth it for me. Ive been wishing this game saw a 3d release on 3ds ever since those screens of Xenoblade came out with other wii games in 3d you could look at with the 3ds browser.

A steady framerate is a surprise though. The wii games framerate could be described as pretty much anything but solid.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

I never had any issues with XB framerate on Wii. No hiccups no noticeable slowdown or anything. It was as solid as a rock for me.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

I never had any issues with XB framerate on Wii. No hiccups no noticeable slowdown or anything. It was as solid as a rock for me.

There were no hiccups, its a solid 30 during exploration, but the slow down and speed back up was pretty much a constant occurance during battles, especially with characters like Melia, Fiora, or Ricky in the party.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:57 AM

It's great they've managed to preserve the draw distance. That's part of what made the game so great: it's sense of scale.

#7 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

Hmm, not sure if I should pick this up or not. I only played about 6 hours of wii xenoblade I think and loved it which is why I'm cautious about this 3ds version because for a game of such quality like xenoblade I really want to play the best version.

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

Hmm, not sure if I should pick this up or not. I only played about 6 hours of wii xenoblade I think and loved it which is why I'm cautious about this 3ds version because for a game of such quality like xenoblade I really want to play the best version.

Unless you go dolphin with the HD texture pack, its just preferences.

Xenoblade Wii:
Dual Audio (Japanese and english)
Higher resolution (480p woohoo)
Still a collectors item

Xenoblade New 3ds
In 3d
Portable
Beastiary with model viewer and drop list
Apparently better framerate according to Eurogamer.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:02 AM

I wonder if the 3ds version will sky rocket in price in 5-10 years like on Wii.

#10 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:07 AM

Europe.. buy the game before April 9th and get a free theme.

B-x2g2zWoAExIYk.png
https://twitter.com/...961559704481792
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#11 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

B-x2g2zWoAExIYk.png

Hopefully we'll atleast get this in NA. And has anyone else noticed the 9999 play coins? The cap has been 300 since launch. Another big Streetpass or UI update coming?

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

I wonder if the 3ds version will sky rocket in price in 5-10 years like on Wii.

Might bring the Wii version price down a little. Like Ico was super pricey until the HD collection and it's price went back to normal. Earthbound SNES prices gone down but still super expensive. So maybe between those two.

#13 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

Unless you go dolphin with the HD texture pack, its just preferences.

Xenoblade Wii:
Dual Audio (Japanese and english)
Higher resolution (480p woohoo)
Still a collectors item

Even going with Dolphin for just a higher resolution is worth doing if your PC can handle it. I seem to remember mine struggled with anything higher than native resolution sadly.

B-x2g2zWoAExIYk.png

I think this just applies to digital purchases though right? I've got the physical pre-ordered. Depending on what the music is, I'll prob get this theme! 

Edited by MarcusT, 28 February 2015 - 07:26 AM.

#14 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:36 AM

Even going with Dolphin for just a higher resolution is worth doing if your PC can handle it. I seem to remember mine struggled with anything higher than native resolution sadly.

I think this just applies to digital purchases though right? I've got the physical pre-ordered. Depending on what the music is, I'll prob get this theme! 

Yeah just eshop purchase it looks like. Probably will be available to buy in the theme shop though.

#15 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:14 AM

Yeah just eshop purchase it looks like. Probably will be available to buy in the theme shop though.

I hope it's the opening theme for the music. I'd welcome opening my 3DS to that.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:27 AM

Dolphins had an explosion of massive updates recently, performance has skyrocketed.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

Dolphins had an explosion of massive updates recently, performance has skyrocketed.

Interesting. Can you quantify it with an example?

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Fiora has made major improvements to the recompiler, making the emulation base line far more effecient, and she has also reverse engineered a lot of missing instructions, the lack of which would result to resorting to the snail speed cpu interpreter, killing performance. Shes also concentrated on games which use extremely rare instructions, greatly improving their performance and fixing many unplayable games. Particularly one game shes (Obviously) A huge fan of: Xenoblade chronicles. She also helped fix the rounding problem of floating point multiply and multiply add, fixing the physics in most all games, and fixing the ghost playback features. Kids a right busy bee, and a real smartie.

Pretty much an average rig now should be able to run xenoblade at full framrate, 1080p, with the enhanced textures, AA, and with no sound problems.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#19 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

Fiora has made major improvements to the recompiler, making the emulation base line far more effecient, and she has also reverse engineered a lot of missing instructions, the lack of which would result to resorting to the snail speed cpu interpreter, killing performance. Shes also concentrated on games which use extremely rare instructions, greatly improving their performance and fixing many unplayable games. Particularly one game shes (Obviously) A huge fan of: Xenoblade chronicles. She also helped fix the rounding problem of floating point multiply and multiply add, fixing the physics in most all games, and fixing the ghost playback features. Kids a right busy bee, and a real smartie.

Pretty much an average rig now should be able to run xenoblade at full framrate, 1080p, with the enhanced textures, AA, and with no sound problems.

Well it sounds like an impressive list of improvements! Although I'm curious what the physics was like before? I assume rounding errors don't cause that big a problem with physics anyway. Although I have no idea how physics engines work. Something to do with numerical integration estimates I'm guessing.

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

Well it sounds like an impressive list of improvements! Although I'm curious what the physics was like before? I assume rounding errors don't cause that big a problem with physics anyway. Although I have no idea how physics engines work. Something to do with numerical integration estimates I'm guessing.

Well, it would render ghost data 100% unusable, as the ghost will abort and crash the game if everything is not 100% accurate. Although unusable ghost data doesnt seem like a huge deal, it did make incredibly useful for testing the accuracy of the physics.

Floating point doesnt just affect your physics, it affects the accuracy of your polygons vertex placement as well. For example, the reason the psx had wobbly polygons that warped and juttered all over the place was because it didnt have accurate enough floating point precision.

So, when you have a machine that was running physics simulations where the machine thinks it know with 100% certainty where those vertices are going to be, and they... arent there... things... happen.

In game problems would be things like randomly falling through platforms you were standing/walking on in mario galaxy, randomly flying off the track and to your doom in fzero, along with making several famous shortcuts impossible because the physics to do them didnt work right.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!