Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

Dolphins had an explosion of massive updates recently, performance has skyrocketed.

Do you think I have any chance of running a wii game with my Macbook Air 2014?

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#22 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:07 AM

Do you think I have any chance of running a wii game with my Macbook Air 2014?

The cpu is fine and dandy, but those intel integrated graphics might be a problem. I know the 4000 barely made the dolphins minimum specs, I dont know how much better the HD5000 is.... But Im guessing with the recent improvements to dolphin, and the i5 and hd5000, it should be pretty good.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#23 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

The cpu is fine and dandy, but those intel integrated graphics might be a problem. I know the 4000 barely made the dolphins minimum specs, I dont know how much better the HD5000 is.... But Im guessing with the recent improvements to dolphin, and the i5 and hd5000, it should be pretty good.

Okay thanks I might give dolphin a shot sometime.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#24 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

Floating point doesnt just affect your physics, it affects the accuracy of your polygons vertex placement as well. For example, the reason the psx had wobbly polygons that warped and juttered all over the place was because it didnt have accurate enough floating point precision.

I noticed that a lot when playing the Spyro trilogy. I always assumed it was just a really bad kind of LOD.

By the way, since you seem knowledgable on the emulation scene. Can you give a similar summary of PCSX2? Has that seen any improvements like Dolphin?

I used to use that a while back but its performance was hugely varied depending on the game. FFX worked a dream, which no longer matters as I have it on Vita, but FF12 had a lot of framerate issues. 

Edited by MarcusT, 08 March 2015 - 05:13 AM.

#25 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

What about MacBook Pro 2014? 2.6 Ghz Core i5, 16GB RAM. Graphics is Intel Iris, which I haven't heard of (1536 MB)

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#26 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:04 AM

What about MacBook Pro 2014? 2.6 Ghz Core i5, 16GB RAM. Graphics is Intel Iris, which I haven't heard of (1536 MB)

What on earth is the point of having that much RAM but no dedicated graphics card? I guess there are some non-visual tasks that might use that much memory but surely the main one that would necessitate that amount would be gaming.

#27 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:11 AM

What on earth is the point of having that much RAM but no dedicated graphics card? I guess there are some non-visual tasks that might use that much memory but surely the main one that would necessitate that amount would be gaming.

I'm a web developer and at my current job I sometimes have three virtual machines running depending on what I'm working on (3 apps that live in different places but communicate with each other). *shrug* At any rate, I didn't pay for it. :)   

I'm starting to think I'd like to build a PC at home for gaming. Maybe I'll make another thread to ask for advice. 

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#28 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

I'm a web developer and at my current job I sometimes have three virtual machines running depending on what I'm working on (3 apps that live in different places but communicate with each other). *shrug* At any rate, I didn't pay for it. :)   

I'm starting to think I'd like to build a PC at home for gaming. Maybe I'll make another thread to ask for advice.

Not to get off topic but if you want to build a pc, look up Austing Evans on YouTube. He has a ton of vids for pc related stuff.

pNgecl.gif

#29 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:27 AM

Not to get off topic but if you want to build a pc, look up Austing Evans on YouTube. He has a ton of vids for pc related stuff.

Lol this was already off-topic!

Does that ever get anywhere near to 16GB? What are you simulating on virtual machines, all of google?

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

I noticed that a lot when playing the Spyro trilogy. I always assumed it was just a really bad kind of LOD.

By the way, since you seem knowledgable on the emulation scene. Can you give a similar summary of PCSX2? Has that seen any improvements like Dolphin?
I used to use that a while back but its performance was hugely varied depending on the game. FFX worked a dream, which no longer matters as I have it on Vita, but FF12 had a lot of framerate issues.

Yes, although not the extent breakthroughs dolphin has made, the ps2 is a.... fickle machine compared to the gamecube/wii. They recently aquired a much improved debugger, which is helping immensely on finding the problem with broken and poorly performing games, and they have made a lot of progress towards 64 bit compatability.

as for ff12 PAL versions of the game still seem to have trouble, with performance dropping around groups and wendigoes. NTSC versions seem to be able to reach full performance and up to 200%/300fps with Wait Loop Detection mVU Flag Hack and MTVU on tri and quadcores.

16GB of ram? That your work macbook?

Iris is the hd5000 integrated series, I dont have hands on experience, but from others 5100 was a small improvement from the last 47XX, but 5200 was a pretty big improvement, although I remember some issues with it, dont know the status. With all the recent improvements to the emulator, my gut says you should be pretty pleased with the performance and IQ you should be able to get. Might as well try it and see. And there really just arent enough osx users, so if you do encounter any problems, the community would love it if you could give a report.

http://code.google.c...ary&cells=tiles

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

as for ff12 PAL versions of the game still seem to have trouble, with performance dropping around groups and wendigoes. NTSC versions seem to be able to reach full performance and up to 200%/300fps with Wait Loop 

I would've thought regional standards would be one of the easiest hurdles for emulation to cross.

#32 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

I never mentioned the copy I played the most was the PAL version from when we knew the game was not coming to the US. I played it on a CRT using Homebrew channel at the time and never had framerate issues for XB. I know I played the US version at least once but don't recall any difference.

#33 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:56 AM

I never mentioned the copy I played the most was the PAL version from when we knew the game was not coming to the US. I played it on a CRT using Homebrew channel at the time and never had framerate issues for XB. I know I played the US version at least once but don't recall any difference.

All versions suffer constant frame rate fluctuations during large battles, and compounded by using ether attack effects heavy characters like ricky melia or fiora. It doesnt drop frames it just slows down, If you didnt notice it, you just didnt notice it.

I would've thought regional standards would be one of the easiest hurdles for emulation to cross.

Its most likely because the builds or bios are different between localizations.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#34 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

Interview with Hiro Yamada on the 3ds port.

http://www.nintendol...ew_nintendo_3ds

#35 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:00 PM

thanks for posting, sounds like a pretty amazing achievement and the work started in 2013.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#36 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:41 AM

Yeah, I saw that. It does sound quite impressive a technical achievement. I hope the fact that they seem to have sacrificed some graphical quality in order to maintain the draw distance ends up being a worthy sacrifice. The epic views were a big part of this game, from what I'd played and seen.

#37 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:14 AM

Yeah, I saw that. It does sound quite impressive a technical achievement. I hope the fact that they seem to have sacrificed some graphical quality in order to maintain the draw distance ends up being a worthy sacrifice. The epic views were a big part of this game, from what I'd played and seen.

I think the addition to make the game 3D as well will help immersion and make up for any quality that may have been lost.

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#38 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:18 AM

I think the addition to make the game 3D as well will help immersion and make up for any quality that may have been lost.

Yeah, probably. Although I really wish all games with 3D offered a graphical improvement when the 3D is turned off. Ironfall was great in that respect. 30 fps with 3D on. 60fps with it off. Monster Hunter 4 added anti-aliasing when the 3D was off. 

Edited by MarcusT, 25 March 2015 - 03:20 AM.

#39 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:21 AM

#40 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:41 AM

Nintendo Life has their review up

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2