CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:07 AM

In his semi-weekly column with Weekly Famitsu, Masahiro Sakurai used his time to commemorate Valve Corporation's digital distribution platform, Steam.

You don't have to rack your brain trying to think what correlation Sakurai has with the online store, as none of his titles have been featured on Steam. This seems just to be a simple acknowledgement from one professional to another at a job well-executed.

Kotaku has translated some of Sakurai's piece:

"I write this because on varying levels, I have complaints with every other online shopping format." says Sakurai.

"When someone opens Steam, depending on their purchase and viewing history, suggested titles pop up. And there are sales almost every day with massive deals. The changes vary, making me check in frequently."

He also praised the amount of thought that's been invested into making Steam a go-to source for legitimate reviews and feedback. Steam's policies do not allow for internet trolls or single, unsatisfied users to spam negative feedback or affect a title's reputation beyond what should be allowed.

It means something, when a successful professional takes the time to acknowledge the work of another. This is especially true when the two aren't financially affiliated.

Steam really is the go-to source when it comes to online gaming stores, and evidently, this is for good reason.

Source: http://www.eventhubs...-incentive-buy/

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

Yeah but pretty much everyone who buys all these games on sale never play them so they are wasting money.

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:40 AM

Yeah but pretty much everyone who buys all these games on sale never play them so they are wasting money.

So mean, so ignorant.
Ooh, and everyone who buys Nintendo games are just kids anyway. Wasting time.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

So mean, so ignorant.
Ooh, and everyone who buys Nintendo games are just kids anyway. Wasting time.

You're the ignorant one.

http://www.engadget....16/steam-sales/

More than one third of Steam games are never played. Steam's entire business model is built around making you buy for pennies games you didn't actually want.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#5 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

You're the ignorant one.

More than one third of Steam games are never played. Steam's entire business model is built around making you buy for pennies games you didn't actually want.

Gifts, Bundles, Humble Bundles, Mods that come with the games, free games etc are a huge part of that, look at the sonic bundle for example, £30 for a sonic game or £50 for 25 of them (not exact, but pretty close). People don't literally go "ooh look, a game for 80% off, I'll buy that and i'll probably play it later" (There are people like this, but not as many as the link suggests). I'm looking at my steam list now, about 30/71 I've actually played.

about 25 of them itself is from a humble bundle where I only wanted 1 game from the 8 they gave me. 5 I honestly don't have a clue how it got in my steam libary (seriously I've never heard of some of them, and I don't randomly buy games on the steam page). 4 from gifts given from friends who got free codes and a few I have yet to play because I don't have a controller for it.

so that's about 60% of games on my steam list I haven't touched, not because I buy it and never play it, because it just builds up from getting other stuff that I did want and it ends up coming with it for free.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#6 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

I'm looking at my steam list now, about 30/71 I've actually played. About 25 of them itself is from a humble bundle where I only wanted 1 game from the 8 they gave me.

Congrats, you're part of the problem. Maybe you should have considered buying the individual games you wanted instead of screwing over the developers by forcing them to share your money with 7 other developer teams. You'd save money, have a cleaner steam library and support the developers of the games you like all at once.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#7 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

>Thread starts with a quote from Sakurai saying how good of a service Steam is 

>Thread instantly turns into a whine fest because people have too many unplayed games on Steam...which matters, somehow?...

It's becoming very hard for me to even with this place anymore

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#8 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

You're the ignorant one.

They're making [allowing] you buy games for great prices? Hmm. Not sure what the problem is here.

People can buy what they want. They see good value and they decide to spend on the game, them not playing the game/s yet is up to them.

Of course, all the bundles that offer Steam codes contribute greatly to this also but is Steam users getting more games a problem? I wouldn't say so.

Congrats, you're part of the problem. Maybe you should have considered buying the individual games you wanted instead of screwing over the developers by forcing them to share your money with 7 other developer teams. You'd save money, have a cleaner steam library and support the developers of the games you like all at once.

Part of the problem of Steam users having more games? What's the problem exactly?

They really aren't forcing the devs to register their games for a humble or other bundle. Chances are if you're buying these games cheap in a bundle you wouldn't be paying more for all of them individually so this way devs get money from a wider range of people and greater exposure than they normally would. Getting your name out as an indie dev isn't an easy task so these bundles definitely help them, although Humble Bundles have expanded to some bigger name devs/publishers like the recent Square Enix bundle and past bundles such as the EA one.

Basically you're just complaining about PC gamers getting more games for less money. Such a horrible problem, as a PC gamer I am truly saddened by all the games I have access to.  :(

Edited by CUD, 27 February 2015 - 03:48 PM.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

It's not the amount of games but the lack of actually playing them and developers esp indies lose money and are undercut by those sales esp humble bundles. It hurts the developer as they often see little to no money from those sales ESP the humble bundles. So I buy full price when I can to support those indies and such.

#10 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

It's not the amount of games but the lack of actually playing them and developers esp indies lose money and are undercut by those sales esp humble bundles. It hurts the developer as they often see little to no money from those sales ESP the humble bundles. So I buy full price when I can to support those indies and such.

...you realize it's the developers choice to put those games in the bundle at all, right? Not to mention that almost all of the games that get put in those bundles have been out for a year or more?

It's not anyone else's fault but the developers for putting those games up for sale. If they want people to pay full price all the time? Don't put it on sale, period. It's up to them and has nothing to do with Steam forcing them into sales or anything else.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#11 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

The amount of people not playing the games they buy would come down to eyes bigger than their spare time. They see good deals and are interested in the games so they buy them planning to play it when they get the chance but other games may take priority and then more sales come along.. Until they own more games than they can catch up on. I basically just described myself but the point stands, people not playing these games isn't a problem.

As has been said, devs choose for their games to be in these bundles. Maybe sales have dropped considerably so getting more sales and increasing exposure through bundles is good for gamers and devs alike. If people that bought the game cheap like it enough they can support the dev by purchasing DLC for the game or buying future releases in the series or new IPs from the devs. Chances are that the people buying these games cheap in these bundles wouldn't buy the games on their own at full or even discounted price so this way is much better for devs, I'd say so anyway.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#12 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

You have to keep in mind that these are digital sales. there's no per-product cost. The developers could sell one game for $1,000 or 1,000 games for $1 each and they would have the exact same amount of profit. The cost-demand ratio is actually a logarithmic function that does not match the sale-discount ratio.

Speaking of which, there's a new humble bundle out, with Sleeping Dogs and the new Laura Croft if you pay more than $15. https://www.humblebundle.com/

Edited by grahamf, 27 February 2015 - 06:16 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:54 PM

What Sakurai is talking about is completely different than what is now being discussed, he was simply talking about valves well done UI, and in fact, those aspects hes mentioned, the Eshop very overtly attempts to emulate.

However, it seems some members here are in dire need of some serious truth bombs, about the 'choice' in sales and humble bundles, straight from the mouth of the devs which you are stuffing your words into, the things their pr wont let them say:

"And lastly, the worst, most hideous truth at all, and there’s a bit of history behind it.

You are worthless to us.

What? Did he just say that? I? Your horsing customer? You just said your customers were worthless! Wii you!!!!11!1!! I’m never buying anything from you again! I’m even going to uninstall all your games you ignorant self-important beige quilt! How dare you speak to me, your customer, like that?

Woah there, inflamed of Tunbridge Wells. Let’s just rewind a second and analyse that statement for a moment. How did we get here? Let me count the ways.

Once upon a time, back in the early 2000s or so, games would sell for about $20 or so. Some developers did really well at that price point – I mean really well. Most of us didn’t do that well, and made beer money, but we carried on making games anyway because that’s what we liked to do, even if nobody wanted them. When we got a customer we were able to treat them like royalty. Apart from there not being that many of them, twenty bucks is a pretty reasonable chunk of money and you should damned well expect it to work properly. Of course, 99% of the time, when things didn’t work it was just because the customer had rainbowty OEM drivers that were simply broken. (Interestingly I don’t ever hear of people taking their laptops back to the shop – which remember cost $500 or more – and yelling at the salesmen for selling them something that didn’t work). So what would happen was we spent a not insignificant proportion of our time – time which we could have been making new games in and thus actually earning a living – fixing customers computers. Note that we weren’t fixing our game. We were fixing customers computers for them. It’s a pretty tedious affair. When the same problem turns up 20 times in a day (or even, during a sale, 200 times), and the answer is always the same, that’s the very definition of tedium. So we jokingly used to say that we sold you a game for a dollar and then $19 of support. That’s actually pretty close to accurate when you work out the time spent fixing someone’s computer for them. We relied on enough sales going through without problems to come out on top slightly, though the reality was that we never actually did.

Then Steam came (and to a lesser extent, Big Fish Games).

Things changed fast. So fast that in other industries it would have been seen as a cataclymically disruptive event. The upshot of it is, within 5 short years, the value of an independent game plummeted from about $20 to approximately $1, with very few exceptions. Steam is great! You can sell loads of games! But only if they’re less than $10. Technically Valve don’t actually dictate the prices we charge. Actually, they do. Utterly. It’s just not talked about. In fact technically, I don’t think anyone’s allowed to talk about it.

Then came the Humble Bundle and all its little imitators.

It was another cataclysmically disruptive event, so soon on the heels of the last. Suddenly you’ve got a massive problem on your hands. You’ve sold 40,000 games! But you’ve only made enough money to survive full-time for two weeks because you’re selling them for 10 cents each. And several hundred new customers suddenly want their computers fixing for free. And when the dust from all the bundles has settled you’re left with a market expectation of games now that means you can only sell them for a dollar. That’s how much we sell our games for. One dollar. They’re meant to be $10, but nobody buys them at $10. They buy them when a 90% discount coupon lands in their Steam inventory. We survive only by the grace of 90% coupon drops, which are of course entirely under Valve’s control. It doesn’t matter how much marketing we do now, because Valve control our drip feed.

Where does this lead us to?

You are worthless to us.

Where once you were worth $20, and then you might have become a fan and bought another 4 games off of us for $20, you were worth $100. We only had to fix your computer for you once, as well, so the next four games amortised the cost of the initial support. If we were lucky you were a gamer and already had drivers and liked our stuff and bought the lot. Sometimes you’d tell your friends and maybe one of them would buy a game from us.

But now?

Now you’re worth $1 to us. If you buy every one of our games, you’re worth $5. After Valve and the tax man and the bank take their cuts, you’re not even worth half a cup of coffee. So, while we’re obsequiously polite and helpful when you do contact us for support, even if it’s just the same old “please install some actual video drivers” response, you really should be aware that you are a dead loss. Even if you buy everything we ever make again. Even if all your friends buy everything we ever make again. You just cost us money. Not just fictitious, huge-piles-of-filthy-lucre indie-game-developer who made-it-big money. All our money. We barely scratch a living, like most indie game developers. You quite literally cost us lunch because the shop sold you a computer with broken software on it."

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to simply point your customers to a support forum? Then they can get help and solve common problems themselves, and anything major can be helped by a couple tech-savvy customers who can act as middlemen. I don't think any of the AAA publishers directly handle technical problems, so you probably don't need to be as involved.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#15 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

*big ass quote*

Which dev are you quoting here?

Wouldn't it be easier to simply point your customers to a support forum? Then they can get help and solve common problems themselves, and anything major can be helped by a couple tech-savvy customers who can act as middlemen. I don't think any of the AAA publishers directly handle technical problems, so you probably don't need to be as involved.

They definitely do not have to. Poor/lack of proper management leads them to pay more attention to things they don't need to be spending their resources on.

Edited by CUD, 27 February 2015 - 08:41 PM.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#16 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Which dev are you quoting here?

After Googling "Woah there, inflamed of Tunbridge Wells" I found this: http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574

Looks like 3Dude had abbreviated it a bit.

Also I should note that I could not find any form of forum on that website where customers could talk to each other, just a blog where the devs can post rainbow and people can comment.

Edited by grahamf, 27 February 2015 - 08:59 PM.

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

"It was about the entire indie game industry. Actually it probably applies to the AAA industry as well, or at least all the mid-sized studios kicking about that make AAA quality games but without the marketing budget that defines the AAA industry. All developers are in the same boat. All developers are having to deal with this problem – the problem of having worthless customers. I’m not even sure why there’s a pretence that we even have customers any more: they – you – all belong to Valve. We are unable to issue a refund for our games. We have no way to directly contact a customer after they’ve bought a game from us. But that’s ok, because you can get games for a dollar now, eh>?"

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

It's hilarious to me how you people can take a positive comment and turn it into an argument. It makes for great reading, like a comedy sketch.

I don't even...

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

It's hilarious to me how you people can take a positive comment and turn it into an argument. It makes for great reading, like a comedy sketch.

Because, underneath the nice observations of valves steam ui (It is VERY damn nice), there is a HUGE problem.

"A friend of a friend told me that he tried to set the price of his game to some figure or other but that Valve vetoed it and set it to something else. It absolutely didn’t happen to us and even if it did we’re not allowed to talk about it, no, not at all."

"And just how long do we expect AAA developers to be able to keep up that sort of behaviour, eh? It reeks of utter desperation on their part. As for us, we’ve made a fortune compared to the effort we’ve put in though by no means are we indie superstars. But the Tropico devs? The other AAA developers out there seeing their stuff being sold for 1 cent? They’ve got an awful lot more to worry about. But more specifically so do you (we! me!) the customer – because they can’t keep it up and they certainly can’t support their products. They absolutely will be changing the games they make when they see them being sold as valueless sub-commodities.

When the average consumer values a coffee more than something you spent 3 years making – you have a problem. The industry has a problem."

These are people that make the games. These are people, who once worked for these AAA publishers, who LEFT because they saw their beloved medium with a 1 way ticket to the fast lane of going down the crapper, speaking from experience.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

Incidentally, what are you grabbing these quotes from?

I don't even...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!