Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • NNID:Atticus242
  • Fandom:
    Wii U, 3DS, Xbox 360, WWE

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:22 AM

Anyone ever use and have any opinions on this? I need to drop some pounds and want something fun to do at the same time? Think doing this plus watching my diet a little more carefully will yield somewhat positive results?

Yes, I am aware there are better things one can do. I'm just interested in knowing if this does anything somewhat worthwhile at all.

#2 alex15810

alex15810

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

It's a nice activity that will get you off the couch and moving a little bit but it is limiting if you're looking to get a serious workout. Most of the exercises just aren't challenging enough to get your heart pumping and don't burn many calories. It's no substitute for going to the gym. 

That said, you can get a good workout from Wii Fit U if you plan right. I have used it when I couldn't get to the gym. If you're looking to burn calories and get a cardio workout, I'd create a custom workout consisting of something like this -

- Run all 4 obstacle courses (in my opinion the best and most fun exercise Wii Fit U offers)

- Hula Hoop (high a level as you can handle)

- 10 minute run. There's a few options, either do a straight run or play a running game where you have to find miis.

That alone will get your heart pumping for a good 30 minutes or so. 

I've found it's pretty much pointless to use the game for the muscle building and yoga once you've learned how to do the exercises. Just write them down along with how many repetitions you need and do them without the game. Going through the game doesn't add anything, takes too long, and is unnecessary. I really don't need to hear "good job!" "great workout!" and have the game tell me when to start and stop. I've found that getting the balance board balanced on your TV for these exercises isn't much of an indicator of whether your form is correct. So overall using the balance board for yoga and strength exercises is pointless in my opinion.

A lot of the stuff in Wii Fit U is fun but doesn't give you a workout, particularly most of the balance board stuff.

I really like the pedometer functionality. If you're into walking, using the Fit Meter to track your steps and in turn synching it with the game can be very satisfying. If you're not very active, sticking to a goal of say 10,000 steps a day will really help you drop pounds even if that's the only activity you do.

But as with everything, remember that if you're looking to lose weight changing your diet is way more important than exercise.

Edited by alex15810, 10 July 2015 - 06:34 AM.

#3 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

Hula Hoop is one hell of a good cardio activity. There are quite a number of ways to tailor a fitness program to suit your needs. 

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#4 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

It's a nice activity that will get you off the couch and moving a little bit but it is limiting if you're looking to get a serious workout. Most of the exercises just aren't challenging enough to get your heart pumping and don't burn many calories. It's no substitute for going to the gym. 

What if you overweight/obese? Pretty sure the game can get your heart pumping lol.

Stupid Snowmads!

#5 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

Thanks alex for the detailed response and everyone else. Just did 30 minutes today for the first time. Boy am I outta shape. Did a little muscle strengthening and it did some damage. Didn't realize how important posture was. This could be good.

#6 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Thanks alex for the detailed response and everyone else. Just did 30 minutes today for the first time. Boy am I outta shape. Did a little muscle strengthening and it did some damage. Didn't realize how important posture was. This could be good.

I've always found a good mix of cardio and some strength exercises give a good workout. Some jogging, hula hoop sessions, then several of the strength ones (pushups, dips etc) .  After a "main" workout go play some more of the unique games for added benefit. Try the luge yet? That really works your core.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#7 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

I've always found a good mix of cardio and some strength exercises give a good workout. Some jogging, hula hoop sessions, then several of the strength ones (pushups, dips etc) .  After a "main" workout go play some more of the unique games for added benefit. Try the luge yet? That really works your core.

Not yet, put an hour in for the day. Got the advanced hula-hooping in. It's no joke. lol. Will see what tomorrow brings. Can't really figure out what's a good amount of calories to lose in a day. 

#8 alex15810

alex15810

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:02 AM

What if you overweight/obese? Pretty sure the game can get your heart pumping lol.

Yeah, it can for people in that category. If you're one of those people Wii Fit U can be a good option. But most people, they won't find the majority of the exercises in Wii Fit U challenging enough.

Edited by alex15810, 13 July 2015 - 10:19 AM.

#9 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

I think it's a pretty cool little program- but as mentioned above, it's more of something for you to do to get you moving around.  I'm surprised they don't have DLC for this.  I wouldn't mind some more luge/bobsled tracks.

#10 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:23 AM

Yoga is actually pretty tough.

Anyone know if the Wii Fit and Wii Fit U trainer are two different... characters? I never played Wii Fit and the Wii Fit U trainer does not look like she does in Smash.

Yoga is actually pretty tough.

Anyone know if the Wii Fit and Wii Fit U trainer are two different... characters? I never played Wii Fit and the Wii Fit U trainer does not look like she does in Smash.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii Fit, Will Fit U

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!